Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Are most apps for iPad typically universal now? I haven't been in the iPad world in years and now it seems like they're either higher priced & universal, or 2 separate apps.

Fantastical 2, I know, is one of those. Paprika seems universal now if I purchase it. I'm trying to track on how much I'm looking to spend between iPad specific apps (not for iPhone), and iPad version apps which have iPhone versions.

Feel free to share any popular iPad apps used as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t buy many apps any more, but almost all seem universal. Fantastical's model (separate apps for phone, iPad, and Mac) seems to be in the rare exception category. Iirc, the todo app Things uses the same model.

Paprika is definitely universal.

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard
Working with Word for iOS offline is a giant pain. It has trouble opening files (even ones I've downloaded as offline for Dropbox) and likes to request to "authenticate" itself even when it's only been offline for a short amount of time.

So I'm in the market for something that can do Word-like "comments" in the margins on either docx or PDF files while offline. There are lots of great PDF editors out there with clean offline workflows, but the problem is that the "comments" features tend to be sticky notes that you can't flatten in the open position; the reader has to manually click them or open the comments tab. I need something that will have the comments display permanently in the margins (but just creating a textbox in the margins makes it too crowded / isn't enough space).

Hopefully that made sense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

striking-wolf posted:

Working with Word for iOS offline is a giant pain. It has trouble opening files (even ones I've downloaded as offline for Dropbox) and likes to request to "authenticate" itself even when it's only been offline for a short amount of time.

So I'm in the market for something that can do Word-like "comments" in the margins on either docx or PDF files while offline. There are lots of great PDF editors out there with clean offline workflows, but the problem is that the "comments" features tend to be sticky notes that you can't flatten in the open position; the reader has to manually click them or open the comments tab. I need something that will have the comments display permanently in the margins (but just creating a textbox in the margins makes it too crowded / isn't enough space).

Hopefully that made sense.

Have you tried the apple version of word? I’ve never used it myself so I have no idea if it can do comments like word does, but I would assume(/hope) it can.

striking-wolf
Jun 16, 2003

weeeeeeeeeeeeezard

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you tried the apple version of word? I’ve never used it myself so I have no idea if it can do comments like word does, but I would assume(/hope) it can.

Yes, Pages is better, though it's a bit clunky in its own right with syncing and since comments can sometimes get messed up in the shuffle between Word / Pages / exported PDFs (which, incidentally, you can't do with comments from a Pages file since they get lost).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I don’t have any suggestions but I just want to concur that Office for iOS sucks rear end. I especially love Excel unloading after being in the background for 15-20 seconds so I have to wait for the app to load, wait for my workbook to load, enter the workbook password, wait for it to load some more, and then navigate back to the sheet I was on because I dared to do literally anything else on my phone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It works great for me- maybe it works better with OneDrive then Dropbox?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone have anything to say about Pinboard apps? I want to try out Pinner, but it hasn't been updated in a year - while Pushpin has in the last 3 weeks. The Sweet Setup ranked Pinner as better, but now that we have new iPads and a bigger screen for the XS Max, is it still better?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Pinboard apps? I want to try out Pinner, but it hasn't been updated in a year - while Pushpin has in the last 3 weeks. The Sweet Setup ranked Pinner as better, but now that we have new iPads and a bigger screen for the XS Max, is it still better?

Pinner works fine for me. But I’m on the XR.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I use Pushpin. I don't use it often, but it works alright. There are a handful of visual bugs (ie, white text in a white search field, the search field not scrolling down far enough, etc.) so I wouldn't consider it being updated recently to be a huge sign of active development. The one thing I don't like about the UI of Pushpin is that to access most of the content listings, you go the Browse page. On that page you can view list of all of the different types of content. But to access your tags you have to hit the Tags button in the far lower right corner of the screen. Why not have Tags listed in the same area of the UI as everything else to make it consistent visually and for muscle memory? Also, you can't set the app to show Tags as the default view but you can set anything else to be the default view. Why not tags?!

Actually writing this out makes me realize I should probably switch to Pinner.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Can anyone confirm if Twitch has casting capability on the latest iOS beta?

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW I asked for a good Transmit for iOS replacement and couldn't quite find what I was looking for after it got discontinued. Shellfish is out now and it's perfect for me. Full Files app integration, caching and offline-usage, supports file permissions, fair price and it just works. https://secureshellfish.app

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I sent a ticket to Instagram via the App fuction. How long is the wait for a response and how will they contact me? Slide into my dms?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Any suggestions for blocking spam calls? My wife is getting 6-15 a day. I've tried the free version of Hiya but that isn't doing very much so it doesn't feel like upgrading to the paid version is worth it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for blocking spam calls? My wife is getting 6-15 a day. I've tried the free version of Hiya but that isn't doing very much so it doesn't feel like upgrading to the paid version is worth it.

Public Beta and send unknown callers straight to VM

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Robocaller which has been working out okay.

Minus side: annual subscription is like $30

Plus side: it has funny answering machine things and you can upload yours and listen to other people's

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
If you’re on AT&T you can download their Call Protect app. “Powered by” Hiya but it seems to work better for me. I still get occasional calls. Supposedly they’re going to enable this automatically ”soon”. Verizon probably has something similar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon has similar but it's like $3.99 per month or some bullshit.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Violator posted:

Are they all from the same area code? Buy WideProtect and block the area code and common first digits.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Verizon has similar but it's like $3.99 per month or some bullshit.

Not anymore for the basic option, which doesn't let you add custom numbers.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Is there no way to repeat a song via the stock Music app? Even my freaking Apple Watch allows for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fly Ricky posted:

Is there no way to repeat a song via the stock Music app? Even my freaking Apple Watch allows for that.
On the playing screen, scroll up.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Endless Mike posted:

Many thanks my friend.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I want a setting to keep repeat from toggling itself on periodically.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

This is so loving obtuse it took me ten months and a google search to figure it out. why do you need an extra unnecessary swipe for a core feature??

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

Public Beta and send unknown callers straight to VM

How stable is the latest version? I really would like a lot of these features and don’t want to wait.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

How stable is the latest version? I really would like a lot of these features and don’t want to wait.

I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’re abnormally buggy and terrible this year, with a good chance of destroying iCloud data. A lot of “Apple shouldn’t have released these as public betas” because it’s hosing normal people.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah this is the first public beta ever where I only installed it on my tablet and not my phone and even then I’m really considering restoring from my iOS 12 backup.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jazz Marimba posted:

This is so loving obtuse it took me ten months and a google search to figure it out. why do you need an extra unnecessary swipe for a core feature??
Wait'll you see where it is in iOS 13.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

On the phone PB2 has been much better than PB1 but it’s still very rough around the edges.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah this is the first public beta ever where I only installed it on my tablet and not my phone and even then I’m really considering restoring from my iOS 12 backup.

If I wanted to do that, do I have to hook up to a computer? I didn't do a hard backup to my PC, just iCloud. What'd be the process for me to roll back to iOS12 if I wanted to in that event and what would I lose?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TraderStav posted:

If I wanted to do that, do I have to hook up to a computer? I didn't do a hard backup to my PC, just iCloud. What'd be the process for me to roll back to iOS12 if I wanted to in that event and what would I lose?
As far as I know, if you want to restore as a backup rather than set up as a new device, you'll have needed to take a hard backup to your computer since your iCloud backup will be an iOS 13 one.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the phone PB2 has been much better than PB1 but it’s still very rough around the edges.

Ya, PB1 was the first time I've thought of going back to the old OS. My main issue was carplay not starting, and having to unplug and plug in the usb. PB2 fixed that, and all the other minor issues are worth the Carplay improvements - like being able to have Waze on the car display and a weather app on the phone, or the main carplay display showing 1/2 screen map on the left, and the media player on the right. (things that have been oddly lacking for too long).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

porktree posted:

Ya, PB1 was the first time I've thought of going back to the old OS. My main issue was carplay not starting, and having to unplug and plug in the usb. PB2 fixed that, and all the other minor issues are worth the Carplay improvements - like being able to have Waze on the car display and a weather app on the phone, or the main carplay display showing 1/2 screen map on the left, and the media player on the right. (things that have been oddly lacking for too long).

Oh, in the newest PB2 you can have Waze on the multi-window display on Carplay? It was only Apple Maps in the first version. That's a huge improvement.

I wish you could get the send ETA on the Waze carplay like Apple maps, that's very helpful.

Violator
May 15, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Be very careful since your iCloud data can be destroyed by the beta, and there's no real good and quick way to restore that as far as I know. Some app developerss, like Ulysses, have written blog posts saying not to install the betas because you can lose your data. You can rollback your OS locally, but once iCloud data is hosed up you're kinda screwed.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

TraderStav posted:

Oh, in the newest PB2 you can have Waze on the multi-window display on Carplay? It was only Apple Maps in the first version. That's a huge improvement.

No, not multi-window; but you can now have your phone doing something besides waze while waze is on the car display. I like running weather, or the car odbd2 app on the phone.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Violator posted:

Be very careful since your iCloud data can be destroyed by the beta, and there's no real good and quick way to restore that as far as I know. Some app developerss, like Ulysses, have written blog posts saying not to install the betas because you can lose your data. You can rollback your OS locally, but once iCloud data is hosed up you're kinda screwed.

Is there a good app to automate exporting and backing up iCloud calendar/contact data, for iOS or macOS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’re abnormally buggy and terrible this year, with a good chance of destroying iCloud data. A lot of “Apple shouldn’t have released these as public betas” because it’s hosing normal people.

Ah, I’ll definitely wait then. Last time I messed with betas I really regretted it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lazyhound posted:

Is there a good app to automate exporting and backing up iCloud calendar/contact data, for iOS or macOS?

I think iTunes can do that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I have the iOS13 beta on my iPhone 7, and I just got an iPhone XS. I want to do a clean slate start on my XS, but I need to download all my message photos (or even just all of my messages, photos included) locally. It doesn't seem like there is a way to select multiple images when you go to the "Info" tab in a text like there is in iOS12, unless im just missing something. Any ideas on how to get my picture messages?

E: Maybe the photos app does it? This is strange.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 12, 2019