Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
My cynical gut reaction is that this is a very intentional choice aimed at high level streamers.

In a bunch of other games (Diablo, PoE, a bunch of others I’m not immediately thinking of) people reach the top of the leaderboards by having an army of fans/friends do a bunch of grunt work for them while they cash in in the views and subs they get from being world first or top of the leaderboard.

I expect it’ll last a week, we’ll see a big surge in streamers doing “Journey to Grandmaster!!”, and once they get the exposure they wanted they’ll go “Whoops, our bad!” and change the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get what you're saying and maybe you're right that that's their intention, but I don't think any major ladder in any of these games is dominated by streamers being fed stuff. I've never seen a ranked ladder of a >big< game allow that kind of exploitation. Even the people who had fans tossing themselves at them like PUBG streamers never went very far in the ladder.

Modern Diablo 3 is dominated by dedicated groups who are playing specific comps 24/7. You can't shower people with items, only trade items with the people who played with you. And to get to the top of the ladder you need to grind so much it's surreal.

PoE also revolves around a few people who dominate the game and the economy with their friends and custom tools. Huge celebrities who get freebies can get good performance in the short term but they can only really go so far, and I don't think any amount of cult followers can compete with the insane people with dedicated traders APIs and tools in PoE. Someone just joked on the PoE thread about how even if you had unlimited amount of money to spend no amount of RMTing can compete with the people getting headhunters on day 2 of a league because you wouldn't even know where to look.

What I can think of is that high level streamers of games like Hearthstone obviously have some sort of advantage from being able to reinvest in the game and the cards (although some people really played mostly Arena for ages); D3 1.0 had the whole AH conundrum going on so I suppose some people beating the game had items fed to them although I believe Kripp streamed the whole process and it was mostly him and Krippi "nolifing" as they say their way through hardcore for the world first, I'm not sure how much help they had but Kripp's has had his followers aiding him at doing crazy stuff in the past so this might be the biggest case. MMO streamers typically have their own fanbase tossing gold and items at them and getting an advantage and maybe that might help at something like rushing to get comfy in a patch release, or getting to max level fast in an expansion, but it's almost never anything remotely relevant.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2019

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Aerox posted:

My cynical gut reaction is that this is a very intentional choice aimed at high level streamers.

In a bunch of other games (Diablo, PoE, a bunch of others I’m not immediately thinking of) people reach the top of the leaderboards by having an army of fans/friends do a bunch of grunt work for them while they cash in in the views and subs they get from being world first or top of the leaderboard.

I expect it’ll last a week, we’ll see a big surge in streamers doing “Journey to Grandmaster!!”, and once they get the exposure they wanted they’ll go “Whoops, our bad!” and change the rule.

that seems ... way too cynical of a take. i highly doubt anyone watching a stream is going to want to watch win trading. i think riot is just trying to create an experience of "you play with your friends" because losing is a lot less painful when your friend wins, and riot wants the experience to be as comfortable as possible in ranked

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Elentor posted:

What I can think of is that high level streamers of games like Hearthstone obviously have some sort of advantage from being able to reinvest in the game and the cards (although some people really played mostly Arena for ages); D3 1.0 had the whole AH conundrum going on so I suppose some people beating the game had items fed to them although I believe Kripp streamed the whole process and it was mostly him and Krippi "nolifing" as they say their way through hardcore for the world first, I'm not sure how much help they had but Kripp's has had his followers aiding him at doing crazy stuff in the past so this might be the biggest case. MMO streamers typically have their own fanbase tossing gold and items at them and getting an advantage and maybe that might help at something like rushing to get comfy in a patch release, or getting to max level fast in an expansion, but it's almost never anything remotely relevant.

kripp was extremely assisted by friends/sycophants to the point where it made it a complete waste of time to bother competing with him

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I wasn't 100% sure but I assumed that was the situation, hence why I said it might have been the biggest case. But again it also illustrates the point - despite all that Kripp was never a high-end Gladiator, Kripp was never a high-end Legend (it took years for him to actually get his lazy rear end off in Hearthstone and go for it) and unlike Alkaizer Kripp was never high in a GR Ladder in D3. Kripp's biggest achievements are probably the races in PoE but even then Alkaizer is still a better reference because he won the *hardcore solo self-found* ones long after people had figured out the meta, while Kripp usually takes an advantage at games in early stages where he's able to figure out a good strategy quickly and ride with it. Hafu is similar in that regard where she starts off extremely high, although she's a better player when it comes down to the competitive scene later on where Kripp just drops off completely. He'll get people to feed him off experience, get a max level in an MMO in a few hours compared to the second place who will take days, and then fade off long before any ranked or actual competitive scene emerges.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I've read a few times that all players "select characters from the same pool", but I'm having a really hard time envisioning how this works, and how it plays into the decision-making process :ohdear:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tyma posted:

I've read a few times that all players "select characters from the same pool", but I'm having a really hard time envisioning how this works, and how it plays into the decision-making process :ohdear:

It's a lot simpler than it sounds. Basically there are just X of each character in the pool (I think it's like 39 Rank 1s to 10 Rank 5s) so if people buy up a ton of the same character, there will be less/none for the rest of the players.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's a lot simpler than it sounds. Basically there are just X of each character in the pool (I think it's like 39 Rank 1s to 10 Rank 5s) so if people buy up a ton of the same character, there will be less/none for the rest of the players.

Yeah, think of it as everyone drawing five from the same deck of cards and there's your round pool. The more of a character you can see around the table, the less there are in the deck.

EDIT: You can calculate the chances of a,particular champ turning up in your pool with reasonable accuracy, since you can see people's boards.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I've always wondered, does that mean when you sell characters, they come back to the pool of characters (and for instance, a lvl 3-character is broken back into 9 lvl 1-characters)?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Tyma posted:

Imagine the game gives people champions as though it were taking names out of a hat, with each champion having multiples of its name in the hat. As more of one name is taken out the less likely the game is to randomly draw the same name out of the hat again. As far as decision making process I'd only worry about it when it comes to tier 4 and 5 units because the other tiers have so many names in the hat. And all it really affects is you seeing lots of copies of a unit in other player's boards and going whelp guess I better not count on getting that easily. Then again, you can probably just ignore it entirely and only lose at most a small % of effectiveness, especially as a new player.

Greggster posted:

I've always wondered, does that mean when you sell characters, they come back to the pool of characters (and for instance, a lvl 3-character is broken back into 9 lvl 1-characters)?

Yes.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Greggster posted:

I'm guessing yes, but the thing you have to remember is that your level also changes the odds of the pool you draw from. Since getting a 3* requires a lot of copies, its generally only 1 cost champs, and by the time you sell it, 1 cost champs will turn up in your pool around maybe 20-30% of the time.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Greggster posted:

not only that but if you knock a guy out who is doing stuff in your strategy you can refill the pool with your desired chesses

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My "Get to Round 20 8 times" daily in TFT seems to be frozen at 2/8. Games where I've made it past the first drake seem to not register? And who even writes it as "round 20" when it's by the x-x model? :confused:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

kingcobweb posted:

As someone who’s played competitive MTG for like 15 years, saying that TFT sucks because there’s no skill it’s just RNG is incredibly funny

I've come to find the nerd assertion that a game has to be completely devoid of any random elements in order to be fair extremely endearing. I saw a professional poker game once and started violently shaking and my ears started ringing

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Monicro posted:

I've come to find the nerd assertion that a game has to be completely devoid of any random elements in order to be fair extremely endearing. I saw a professional poker game once and started violently shaking and my ears started ringing

It would help if nerds actually realised what poker and mtg is, but doing so means you don't get to hide behind RNG and blaming others for your mistakes and inability to win. For a bunch of people banging a drum about getting bullied, nerds have some of the most fragile egos on planet earth.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
how do i play ranked TFT, am I an idiot for not seeing it in the client?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I still maintain mace stun in WoW arena was some supreme bullshit. :colbert:

^^ Ranked aint out yet. Next patch supposedly.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

I still maintain mace stun in WoW arena was some supreme bullshit. :colbert:

^^ Ranked aint out yet. Next patch supposedly.

Alright, saw a streamer playing it, and thought I'd lost my mind

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Alright, saw a streamer playing it, and thought I'd lost my mind

That’s PBE

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This game is too rng to win, says me, the guy who can reroll, level up, choose to buy and sell the champions I want, place items on who I want, pick what I want from what's available in the shared draft, place champions strategically to win fights, choose to work towards specific synergies and change later, strategically pick champions away from other players to ruin their comps, and literally see exactly what all the other players in the game are doing at all times

it's just too rng gut dangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Toxic Mental posted:

This game is too rng to win, says me, the guy who can reroll, level up, choose to buy and sell the champions I want, place items on who I want, pick what I want from what's available in the shared draft, place champions strategically to win fights, choose to work towards specific synergies and change later, strategically pick champions away from other players to ruin their comps, and literally see exactly what all the other players in the game are doing at all times

it's just too rng gut dangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So they should.. add more rng?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Click the queue button, wait your mandated two minutes and fifty six seconds at which point the client will flip a coin and assign you a win or a loss. You may requeue.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This build I did from a goonman is probably the build I'd try to do almost every game if ranked was live

Yeah everyone's seen the Luden's Akali thing where she bursts like three champs with one spell. Don't do that! Instead, build Akali full tank (she had Warmogs and Dragon's Tooth in this game; I was trying to get PD but never found the chain vest), and put all your AP items on Lulu. I was at 1.5 lockets this game, but with the locket nerf next patch, just put some combination of Deathcap and Shojin on Lulu and it'll do pretty much the same thing. Akali was still hitting her spell for 940 magic damage every 25 mana with no AP. Unit is real good.

Sol is the big angry dragon going BLKHFGJKGHKGFKHJHJKGFFFFKLLHHGHHHHH and blowing up everyone's team so it's really easy to look at him and go "oh that's broken," but Lulu might actually be... better?? She not only gives additional HP at higher levels, but also targets additional people, knocking up like half the enemy team each time.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Or do this: https://clips.twitch.tv/CooperativeEmpathicTrollNerfBlueBlaster

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

On PBE this one guy was playing Shyvana with Yuumi sorcerer buff and ASol with other sorcerers and a shapeshifter, the Shyv had BT and and GA. She was literally 1v9 and had 4800 hp when she transformed and you couldn’t damage her

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I was at like 30 HP near the start of this and I just went "Alright, I'll just slam my items (all 3 of them after Krugs :geno:) onto Lulu and Kassadin and go Sorcerer cause they're the only good units I have" and holy moly did it pay off. Started with Seraph's on Lulu which sucks, even with all the spells flying around later, but I got Shojin's near the end. Kassadin? Go FULL tank. Dragon's Tooth, Thornmail, and Titanic Hydra makes him effectively immortal and gives him a nice 200+ splash damage per attack. The REAL thing that owned though?? Yuumi Blitzcrank. Do you want to delete 1 enemy unit every time he casts? I managed to get 3* Blitz and he did 1466 damage each cast, if only I had Shojin's on him :eyepop:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 11, 2019

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Item rng imo is the only random mechanic that still pisses me off. One dickhead can get early pd and a recurve bow and I get chain vest bf sword from my minions, etc.

If there was some way to avoid obnoxious disparity from the game just not giving you items while it showers like 4 on your rivals that would rule

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kingcobweb posted:

That’s PBE

how do i play that

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

how do i play that

https://pbesignup.na.leagueoflegends.com/en_GB/pbe

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I wanna play sorcerers but I never get any decent ones early enough. What do you guys usually use until you can get them? Wild? Also no idea what I'd pair them with at the end. Maybe some random strong front liners.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Miftan posted:

I wanna play sorcerers but I never get any decent ones early enough. What do you guys usually use until you can get them? Wild? Also no idea what I'd pair them with at the end. Maybe some random strong front liners.

Yordle makes a pretty good lead in if you get Veigar and Lulu because of how squishy a sorcerer comp can be. Honestly I wouldn’t try to force a 6 sorcerer comp unless you get super lucky because you’re going to be really squishy and you need three units that are 3 cost and higher. Honestly that goes for most single type comps.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Toxic Mental posted:

The point from last page was that the item RNG is hosed. You can literally finish a loot round without getting a single loving item. People would be herp derping about draft rounds too if there was a chance that no cards would show up to choose from

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Action George posted:

Yordle makes a pretty good lead in if you get Veigar and Lulu because of how squishy a sorcerer comp can be. Honestly I wouldn’t try to force a 6 sorcerer comp unless you get super lucky because you’re going to be really squishy and you need three units that are 3 cost and higher. Honestly that goes for most single type comps.

I wonder if 3 sorcs is viable with some smaller comps like elementalist. In my experience the 3 cost sorcerers are quite common since a lot of people just don't go for them. Same for aatrox that I get to 3 star regularly and gets you some demon synergy on basically every comp.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Miftan posted:

You can get 3 sorcerer buff off kassadin, lulu, and ahri (swap in veigar or Morg if you can at least get 2*). If you cant get 2* on the 3 cost units I wouldnt bother putting them in until they are. You're way better off even putting in a 2* khazix or a second 2* tank then stacking low rank sorcerers.

You're basically locked out of 6 stack sorcs until at least aurelion sol (who you also want 2*), so just get 3 stack and get the best 2 or 3 star tank you can until late game

E: also if you can get a decently stacked khazix, void buff with kass and cho actually gives some nice depth to a sorcerer comp early on, and needs less investment than wild

Primetime fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 11, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

How Rude posted:

Item rng imo is the only random mechanic that still pisses me off. One dickhead can get early pd and a recurve bow and I get chain vest bf sword from my minions, etc.

If there was some way to avoid obnoxious disparity from the game just not giving you items while it showers like 4 on your rivals that would rule

The item rng would be less terrible if you always got the same number of items at various stages. It's really annoying when the game just goes "no items for you" then throws you in the face of somebody that has literally twice the drops.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Miftan posted:

I wonder if 3 sorcs is viable with some smaller comps like elementalist. In my experience the 3 cost sorcerers are quite common since a lot of people just don't go for them. Same for aatrox that I get to 3 star regularly and gets you some demon synergy on basically every comp.

Yeah, the problem isn’t really getting all 6 sorcs per se, the problem is that you need to get 6 specific 3 cost units and 3 ASols or you’re left with a 6 champ core with only Kass as a tank and 3 unupgraded units. Twisted Fate is apparently a 2 cost sorc so it gets a lot easier when he gets added in to hit a full sorc comp (but also probably more competition for it).

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If they add champs are they going to remove some to try to keep it so that you can expect to be able to level up your guys? Eventually wouldn't there be so many you can't reliably count on getting 9 draws on a character if they keep dumping more and more in.

Or maybe make random "decks" that is picked at the start of the game? Like the current deck is deck 1, deck 2 has Rakan, Sivir, Lee Sin, Sion, Skarner, Ivern, etc.?

Has there been any word on riot on their plans going forward on this?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

duck trucker posted:

If they add champs are they going to remove some to try to keep it so that you can expect to be able to level up your guys? Eventually wouldn't there be so many you can't reliably count on getting 9 draws on a character if they keep dumping more and more in.

Or maybe make random "decks" that is picked at the start of the game? Like the current deck is deck 1, deck 2 has Rakan, Sivir, Lee Sin, Sion, Skarner, Ivern, etc.?

Has there been any word on riot on their plans going forward on this?

They're going to do set rotations between seasons. They're still short of the number of champs in a typical auto chess clone so there's a bit more room. They talk about releasing new champion sets a bit here https://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/2019/06/dev-design-pillars-of-teamfight-tactics/ and probably in some other dev blogs.

The original auto chess would drop champs for reworks when they add more etc hovering a little over 50 I think.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

How can I overcome ranked anxiety? I usually get it at times when I don't get to play that much and feel really rusty.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Midig posted:

How can I overcome ranked anxiety? I usually get it at times when I don't get to play that much and feel really rusty.

/muteall