Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
gently caress all that, XM25 is where it's at. I know someone who got saddled with one in Afghanistan. Never fired it because the prototype grenades cost like $9k apiece and they would have had to get permission from an O-6 or higher, which isn't exactly great when you're in a firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Breaching rounds don't work that way, they're little metal fletchette type splinters in a mini sabot to maximize penetration of the (metal) and minimize spalling and ricochets after they straight up blast a hole in door hinges. They're designed to evaporate, not penetrate. If you wanted to murder anyone within 50m or more sure though

Real breaching rounds would have been loving cool, also so would 203 rounds which weren't flares or star clusters, a working intercom set for my truck, trucks which were designed with belly armor from the beginning, also I guess not signing up to fight in others' wars maybe too.

Having a shotgun turned out to be nice for days when a patrol went out for Liberty or Victory, I'd leave my M4+203+that late-aughts grenade night sight which brought the unloaded weight of my rifle to a pound under an unloaded SAW in the trucks and take the poo poo pump-action with the gutted-550 sling to the PX and Cadillac DFAC. Guess I would have looked pretty dumb if insurgents had started coming over the wall...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean if you don't invade their country you don't get hit with rocks. Bing bong.

I need to put a grenade launcher on my windshield.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Bad Poster posted:

gently caress all that, XM25 is where it's at. I know someone who got saddled with one in Afghanistan. Never fired it because the prototype grenades cost like $9k apiece and they would have had to get permission from an O-6 or higher, which isn't exactly great when you're in a firefight.

So if I was to imagine someone saving their squad with one and facing a court martial for daring to fire the expensive grenades, how far off the mark would I be?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean if you don't invade their country you don't get hit with rocks. Bing bong.

quote:

Let's Talk About Idiots!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So if I was to imagine someone saving their squad with one and facing a court martial for daring to fire the expensive grenades, how far off the mark would I be?

Probably just take all $9k out of your rear end.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bad Poster posted:

lol wait they made them

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I wish we'd start buying all of our grenade launchers from South Africa, just so we could have poo poo that looks like it's from the set of Robocop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbqHx3TLBE

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

They got far enough to put them into testing in a live battlefield at least. The reason for the high level of authorization required was because they'd need to send in a team to do a thorough BDA for H&K and the DoD after the firefight and interview all the soldiers for their experience with it or some poo poo. A bunch of dudes from Regiment in country didn't want to deal with that, unsurprisingly.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

A Bad Poster posted:

They got far enough to put them into testing in a live battlefield at least. The reason for the high level of authorization required was because they'd need to send in a team to do a thorough BDA for H&K and the DoD after the firefight and interview all the soldiers for their experience with it or some poo poo. A bunch of dudes from Regiment in country didn't want to deal with that, unsurprisingly.

The Wikipedia article on it is hilarious and is 1000% written by someone who works for H&K. "Every squad that tried them loved them! They called it The Punisher, and the Taliban dropped their weapons and ran away in fear of it's $1,000-a-shot grenades! Soldiers started leaving their M4s behind because they totally loved it so much, not because they didn't feel like carrying two long guns after we made them lug an XM25 around!"

"Also one blew up in training and hosed a guy up but don't worry about it, he lived."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Oh, yeah, the dude they gave that to was also deployed as a SAW assistant gunner that time, so his combat load was already ridiculously heavy without carrying that around.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, yeah, the dude they gave that to was also deployed as a SAW assistant gunner that time, so his combat load was already ridiculously heavy without carrying that around.

I was going to ask "what the gently caress?" but the answer is, inevitably, "lol military."

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Since when do saw gunners need an AG?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

colachute posted:

Since when do saw gunners need an AG?

Never seen one in my infantry experience. Must be evidence of a newer, weaker army

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
AG’s are/were supposed to pick up if the main gunner is killed or incapacitated.

They also get hosed and had to carry a tripod/ spare barrels and or ammo.

That’s how it was when I was a 60 gunner.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That’s how it is on the 240. But saw gunners weren’t on a gun team since they could carry everything themselves.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

When I carried a saw my agunner carried a spare barrel and as many reloads as we could pile in his pack. We were both in the camp of "there's no such thing as too much ammo"

But that was USMC in the 90s so ymmv

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The contention many of us have is that the SAW is usually an individual weapon, not a crew served. What sort of fancy, fully-manned unit was this guy in?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The contention many of us have is that the SAW is usually an individual weapon, not a crew served. What sort of fancy, fully-manned unit was this guy in?

75th Ranger Regiment.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Buddy of mine went to Afghanistan as a designated marksman so they gave him one of those tricked out M14s. Naturally that came with a battle load of 7.62 in those heavy-rear end steel mags the M14 takes.

Army gonna Army this was on top of his M4 and load of 5.56.

Oh and his M4 had a 203. So he also got to carry a load of 40mm.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

McNally posted:

Buddy of mine went to Afghanistan as a designated marksman so they gave him one of those tricked out M14s. Naturally that came with a battle load of 7.62 in those heavy-rear end steel mags the M14 takes.

Lmao

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

What is "How all of my joints were ground to dust", Alex.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McNally posted:

I wonder if he's enjoying his 20% disability for missing multiple discs and bad knees by age 25?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

McNally posted:

"On behalf of a grateful nation, I'm sorry ma'am but your son was killed scrolling through his weapon inventory."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You are overencumbered and cannot run!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Modern American Soldier: Every Man an Armory Unto Himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxzfqce0jqY

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Modern American Soldier: Every Man an Armory Unto Himself

(not American but fitting)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The GI lays on its back, its armour plate baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not until you take off the radio, the first line ammo, the second line ammo, the CDF, the 72. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Of course he's a Marine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

No detail was overlooked, down to the groomsmen's 'don't tread on me'" cufflinks.

:catstare:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How many soldiers are getting those predatory wedding loans that are popping up these days?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Makes those Wafflehouse Wedding pictures from a decade back look absolutely classy by comparison.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like the unironic “My dad said I’m supporting a huge racist. I hope things get better.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Future divorce spotted.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Future divorce spotted.

He's an E3 with a hashmark. This is not his first poor life choice.

Edit: Also those pizza box badges looool

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CommieGIR posted:

Future divorce spotted.

My money is on murder/suicide

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My money is on murder/suicide

That assumes he can hit his target(s).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

That assumes he can hit his target(s).

You can't miss choking her to death.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

Buddy of mine was our 203 guy. Of course this was when we still had the A2 rifles, plus he was stuck as the SINGARS RTO.

loving Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Is anyone here a JAG? My buddy (US Army) is getting chaptered out for a disclosed mental illness that his recruiter ignored. My buddy actually wants to stay in (actually loving crazy, right? Catch-22) but has had his two hearings and lost. Is there anything else he can do?