Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

i can’t even wrap my head around how that’d be a good idea. People are weird about timelines and stuff, but man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think the sliding timescale itself never comes up. Comics just always take place in the present because it’s depressing to require Spiderman age into senility because you want to attach a date to the time he teamed up with David Letterman. Comics make no sense.

They did release titles revising Peter Parker and Starlord to have childhoods in the modern era. But then, they also brought the X-Men from the 60s back through some weird time travel schenanigans, and they're all surprised at how the world has changed since the 60s. It goes back and forth. Generally most characters are allowed to age from teens to adults and are then frozen forever as 20 or 30-somethings. Captain America skipped like 15 years being frozen in ice and proceeded to be active in the comics for 50 years after the fact, but still sometimes tries to pretend like he's a foreign traveler from the 40s.

I always preferred Marvel over DC as a kid because Marvel's heroes had lovely lives like normal people and would get more involved in interpersonal drama than just punching villains, and when I started diving deep into comics when I got older, I appreciated that Marvel didn't have the habit of doing massive universe-wide retcons and resets, because if you're following these characters because of their big long stupid histories, there's something more fun about keeping the goofier moments in their histories in mind while reading their newer material.

But I mostly fell off after Marvel did a weird series of kinda-retcons and started focusing on cross promotion by constantly bringing other heroes into eachother's books to show how all the big marvel characters are one big happy family instead of assembling a proper supporting cast of side characters. Crossovers lack dramatic weight because there's nothing meaningful that can really happen to a character when they're visiting somebody else's book. When big name characters only consort with other big name characters, they feel much less real, and some characters feel more like they're trying to be Billy Everyteen instead of specifically who they are.

I think I may have drifted a bit there. Sorry about the :words:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

I mean, it's really forward thinking that there were gay mutant weddings in the late 60s in 616.

Depends on what event you're describing, cause that's probably after his cutoff point anyways, plus how he had the timeline stretch out doesn't work like that anyways(for example the cutoff point of comics published in the early 90s, would have them in the timeline happen sometime in the mid 70's, basically the roughly 30 years of real world comics would translate to around 15 years of in universe events*)

*it would require a lot of work to make stuff from after the cutoff point work, but that roughly means that comics published today would be happening somewhere between the mid 80's and early 90's or so if I have the math in my head right

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Peter Parker was 15 when he got spider powers, in 1963, he's still not yet 30, so for a consistent timeline that means all of the comics take place before 1978.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
time for dazzler to make an appearance

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Peter Parker was 15 when he got spider powers, in 1963, he's still not yet 30

Why would you say that? There's not much physically different between a 25 year old and a 35 year old, and there's no real social imperative for people to "act their age" or grow into maturity after they're already adults. That's part of how heroes end up getting frozen, there's no expectation of growth like there is with teenagers. There are some actors who play 30 well into their 50s.

How you interpret the stagnancy of big comicbook characters is up to you, but if you bother expending any serious effort trying to rationalize that or consolidate canon, you're just wasting your time, and possibly doing damage by being worried about dumb nerd things instead of producing quality stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why would you say that? There's not much physically different between a 25 year old and a 35 year old, and there's no real social imperative for people to "act their age" or grow into maturity after they're already adults. That's part of how heroes end up getting frozen, there's no expectation of growth like there is with teenagers. There are some actors who play 30 well into their 50s.

How you interpret the stagnancy of big comicbook characters is up to you, but if you bother expending any serious effort trying to rationalize that or consolidate canon, you're just wasting your time, and possibly doing damage by being worried about dumb nerd things instead of producing quality stories.

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/how-old-is-peter-parker-spider-man/

quote:

According to Amazing Spider-Man (vol. 3) #1, published in April 2014, Peter was bitten by the spider 13 years ago, and it was previously established he was around 15 at the time.  He is likely now nearing his thirties.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not much physically different between a 25 year old and a 35 year old

tell that to my bones and joints and my gut

aba
Oct 2, 2013
How many of you also laughed a little when Steve Blum's Henchy character said "Karabast!" in the latest episode of Young Justice?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

aba posted:

How many of you also laughed a little when Steve Blum's Henchy character said "Karabast!" in the latest episode of Young Justice?

When I first heard it I wondering where I heard that before, before going "hey that's Zeb's line" then trying to remember what it means. I guess Devastation is a Star Wars fan.

At first I thought that Random Henchman was just going to be more important than I thought, given that he was the one that hired Gabriel to let the Assassin in as well.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
He showed up once in the first season pretending to be a doctor to trick Kid Flash into thinking the princess died, but he's all over the place in season 3.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

He showed up once in the first season pretending to be a doctor to trick Kid Flash into thinking the princess died, but he's all over the place in season 3.

I forgot that was him in season 1. Guess Count Vertigo pays well if that Henchman has stayed with him for 7 years.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

tell that to my bones and joints and my gut

im so tired and i need sleep all the time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god Guy's singing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh my god Guy's singing.

Huh? Is this a Young Justice reference? I need to catch up on the new episodes..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huh? Is this a Young Justice reference? I need to catch up on the new episodes..

Totally. He has a little musical number in the new episodes. Just cements him as GL #1 once again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Everyone in that town in the latest Young Justice episode was totally based on Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. Well after being based on the characters from the Newsboy Legion.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 10, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was a solid Patrick Warburton impression.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is all of Young Justice on DC Universe? because I don't think I actually finished the second season and you fuckers are making me curious enough I might want to get a month of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skwirl posted:

Is all of Young Justice on DC Universe? because I don't think I actually finished the second season and you fuckers are making me curious enough I might want to get a month of it.

Yup, they also have most of the DCAU, and quite a few other DC cartoons on there as well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Yup, they also have most of the DCAU, and quite a few other DC cartoons on there as well

I'd forgotten how good the GL cartoon was, and how much of a shame it was that it got thrown under the bus.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kinda weird that after 15 episodes of building up a new team made up of societal outsiders that the team officially called the Outsiders is comprised almost entirely of characters we haven't been following this season. BUT, I do love me some Beast Boy and Impulse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Question for those watching: is the team in Young Justice still just called "The Team"? Because that's one of the minor things that drove me nuts in the previous seasons

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, because calling your covert team something like "Young Justice" is a overwhelmingly bad idea.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They still call Conner "The Superboy".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna be really mad when Wally doesn't come back from the Speed Force.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna be really mad when Wally doesn't come back from the Speed Force.

Why so he can be in a lovely murder plot?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azubah posted:

Why so he can be in a lovely murder plot?

RUDE

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Azubah posted:

They still call Conner "The Superboy".

Only a few villains do. I think he is just called Superboy or Conner by everyone else.

TwoPair posted:

Question for those watching: is the team in Young Justice still just called "The Team"? Because that's one of the minor things that drove me nuts in the previous seasons

Yeah it does not have an official name on the grounds that it's not supposed to be a public thing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, because calling your covert team something like "Young Justice" is a overwhelmingly bad idea.

To be fair for a long time most of the covert team was running around with the logos of prominent Justice League members slapped all over them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheHan posted:

To be fair for a long time most of the covert team was running around with the logos of prominent Justice League members slapped all over them.

That'd be pretty smart if they weren't actually associated with them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TheHan posted:

Yeah, but, buuuuut.

Their costumes had a night mode. Completely incognito.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At a certain point, maybe you're too ashamed of writing a superhero story to be writing a superhero story. Maybe go off and write your own Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

At a certain point, maybe you're too ashamed of writing a superhero story to be writing a superhero story. Maybe go off and write your own Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed.

That's essentially my problem with it. Like, even if you want to make them the covert team*, it's weird to go without a team name for so long. It lacks the flair that goes with... well, superheroes.

poo poo, just have the kids call it Young Justice even if it's not official, the same way Suicide Squad is technically just an unofficial name for "Task Force X".

*(even if I still find that a little strange since back in season 1 the team was founded because Robin and the others were doing hero stuff but the Justice League were denying them entry and treating them as children, so arguably the whole point of the team should be out doing public stuff to make them be seen as heroes rather than just sidekicks, but hey that's neither here nor there)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/poiisonivy/status/1149486617452658688?s=19

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

They kind of seem the opposite of ashamed. They are bringing in every DC reference they can find no matter how obscure. Like the Streamer girl Garfield helped as an gorilla was this person. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_and_the_Ape

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think calling their wanting to keep the team nameless as per its purpose as evidence they don't want to be writing a Superhero story a bit much. The only characters who'd even care about giving it a super cool name were Robin and Young Justice, and one has aged out of it. Meanwhile, the Justice League is strongly hinted to only be named as such because it's forward facing and for PR reasons.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Team made perfect sense in the first season when it was still a developing entity made up of like, six people doing it as a hobby project. It felt like they were just referring to it as "the team" because they hadn't named it yet, and weren't sure if it was going to stick around. Less so by season two where post-time skip it's this massive superhero squad with more than a dozen members, senior staff, new inductees, etc. At that point, a name became appropriate.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I wouldn't 100% say they're embarrassed by the source material, but they do run everything through that post MCU "realistic" and "cool" filter a lot of DC adaptions do. The Hall of Justice and the name Justice League are just PR for an organization that's constantly dealing with diplomatic relations and government sanctions. Goofier concepts like Tawny Tiger or Rex the Wonder Dog are adapted into Wolf and...Tawny. There at least aren't a ton of those eye-rolling "What're we, some kind of YOUNG JUSTICE?" lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It just feels like one of those things where they try to boil out the inherent sillyness of superheroes, which never works because the core concept of people in wacky costumes solving problems by punching really hard is itself ridiculous. You will always be asking the audience for some suspension of disbelief, and that's fine. Trying hard to seem mature is itself a very immature thing to do.

Back in the early 2000s when superhero movies were starting to make a comeback, they tried really hard to make superhero costumes that didn't look like superhero costumes, but I think the muted tones of all the costumes in current marvel movies is because they want to do constant color correction, and you're not allowed to have more than 3 colors in a shot at a time.