Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
is it supposed to be chunky like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Nothing in that video is supposed to be like that, hth.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

User Error posted:

is it supposed to be chunky like that

Yes, the water pump should flow thru the radiator.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw an LCI G12 7 series yesterday. You can’t appreciate how huge the grill is until you see it in person.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
PS4S ordered :homebrew: . Went with the slightly wider setup at 265/35 front and 285/35 rear.

Hopefully I can sell the tires that are on it. I think they have like 6000 miles on them at most.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

fknlo posted:

PS4S ordered :homebrew: . Went with the slightly wider setup at 265/35 front and 285/35 rear.

Hopefully I can sell the tires that are on it. I think they have like 6000 miles on them at most.

Good man! I think mine were just under $1200 mounted from Costco. They had a Michelin instant rebate at the time. They are excellent tires.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went with Firestone Indy 500s. They seem pretty good and half the price of PS4s.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I luv cup 2s

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Good man! I think mine were just under $1200 mounted from Costco. They had a Michelin instant rebate at the time. They are excellent tires.

Yeah, Costco doesn't have the fronts in stock with no estimates on when they will. They're doing the Bridgestone promotion until the end of the month anyway. They really weren't any cheaper than tire rack which is a first for me. It'll be about $1400 installed after a $70 not instant rebate.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 11, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Really loving hate that tire rack charges sales tax now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
buy your tires off ebay like the rest of us

also, i love nt01s but now i am trying the rc1s since they announced contingency for 2019, yay

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Really loving hate that tire rack charges sales tax now

It would obviously be great if there was none, but it wasn't too terrible for me.

I looked at the Continental ExtremeContact Sport's as well, and while they would have been decently cheaper, the reviews were a lot more mixed on them. The probably would have been fine for me but the 4S reviews are all absolutely stellar.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Cojawfee posted:

I went with Firestone Indy 500s. They seem pretty good and half the price of PS4s.

The updated Indy 500s have crazy stiff sidewalls, it felt like my Speed6 was on loving rails

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Free61 update:

I
Hit
A
Deer

MOTHERFUCKER.

Last night at dusk, I took The car for a spin around The [country] block and... the loving idiot was just standing there, and, welp.

If I'm honest, I'm the actual loving idiot here- them hoof rats are all horny and retarded around cars this time of year, I should have seen it coming.

Thankfully it's all poo poo that bolts on, but regardless I'm looking at a new fender and a new lci, adaptive, bi-xenon headlight assembly or maybe just some two-part epoxy and a new lens (i was too loving angry to properly asses the damage, I just know it's a fender and a headlight enclosure, something popped up on idrive, but minor- parking light?)... And a new jet black/Schwartz (668) fender. There's a salvage fender on fleabay, painted painted in code 668 for ~$150 shipped.

This is getting ridiculous enough, it might be thread time. :allears:

Holy gently caress are gee-whiz-wow headlights some dough. :germany:

E: oh and PO has ghosted me for the last 2 days, so zero idea where I am re: title.

:krad:

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 14, 2019

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Check the rear defroster. If it heats the back window up, you're not terrible. If it's dead too, welp.

(And did you see my Juiced ebike I picked up for next to nothing?)

P. Sure the rear defroster works.

And yes I saw the bike, but I kind of skimmed over it at the time, I'm re-reading your haunted car thread, and I'm not quite there yet (soon enough), it's amazing how much more I'm getting out of your thread now that I have the car in hand :v: .

I don't know a thing about that type of bike, but your dollar amounts seem awesome and it looks like a blast- way better than that chopper you biked to work on back when. :duckhuntdog:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I briefly looked at these as well but there are barely any reviews of them on the f8x.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess I can't really give any info either. My review is "me put foot down, car go fast." And it may be biased because I came off PSS that were way past their prime. I am glad that I got an instant $100 rebate from Firestone in addition to a 70 dollar rebate card a few weeks later.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

fknlo posted:

It would obviously be great if there was none, but it wasn't too terrible for me.

I looked at the Continental ExtremeContact Sport's as well, and while they would have been decently cheaper, the reviews were a lot more mixed on them. The probably would have been fine for me but the 4S reviews are all absolutely stellar.

That’s what I had after I gave up the luxurious life of an Army officer for the poverty of being an attorney in private practice and couldn’t afford Pilot Sports. They had had 90% of the grip and about half the price of the Michelin’s with significantly better tread life.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Had some extremecontacts on mine a couple times. Great value in them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

I briefly looked at these as well but there are barely any reviews of them on the f8x.

Michelins look cooler in photos (and are insanely good).

I think $1400 installed is a very reasonable price for what you get there, and you will notice an appreciable difference when you're leaning on the front end at +20 mph from where you were before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the tread pattern on the Indy 500s looks better

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Finally got the engine back together enough after doing timing chain guides and poo poo to give it a quick test run. I hosed up installing the secondary air injection pipe so that's why it has that MEGA LOUD SOUND

https://streamable.com/wdlh4

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Michelins look cooler in photos (and are insanely good).

I think $1400 installed is a very reasonable price for what you get there, and you will notice an appreciable difference when you're leaning on the front end at +20 mph from where you were before.

Honestly, I won't know any better with the M3. I haven't been able to do any kind of spirited driving with it yet. It's been all highway on the drive back and my normal commuting and that's it. I'll hopefully be able to hit some canyons once I've got the new tires on. Hell, I haven't even driven it in 2 days since there's no point in me bringing it to work to get hailed on while I still have the GTI.

e: oof, Tirerack showing August 3rd on the front tires. Guess nobody has them. I swear it showed them in stock when I bought.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 13, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcenJ0zmAY

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm actually debating cancelling my P4S order and grabbing the continentals. It's not like I'm driving the M3 a ton anyway, but that crack on the rear tire is absolutely keeping me from getting it out in the mountains and I don't know if I want to wait another 3+ weeks.

e: actually, that test was with the sport contact 6, not the extreme contact sport and I'm not seeing the 6 in my sizes.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 13, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I've run ExtremeContact Sports on my pleb tier E46 for a couple of years now (and ExtremeContact DWs before that) and couldn't be happier with them.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I found the Contis to be pretty noisy. Have Toyo Proxes on the M5 and they’re fine, and Michelins on the 740 and they are also fine. Had Goodyear F1s on my old Volvo and was very happy with them on that car for the price.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My brother in law is going to look at a 2011 BMW X5 (xDrive50i ) with the N63B44. 97K miles. I know very little about his model or drivetrain. What kind of pain is he in for if he buys it? It looks awesome and with 400+hp/450 ft lbs I'd have to have a good reason to tell him it's garbage. TIA.

E: Yikes, looks like the N63 is a real POS between oil consumption, battery consumption, and not recalling that motor. BMW = 20 quarts between oilc changes = OKAY.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 14, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pretty sure the N63 turbo while fast as balls has a horrific failure rate of the valve stem seals where I think there was a recall for it or something. It’s an expensive job. If you don’t get them fixed they just ingest absurd amounts of oil.

Don’t buy a BMW V8 without a warranty*

*unless it’s an S code engine. Then you’re playing German lottery which makes the drive more thrilling.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

If the seals have been replaced did that "fix" the problem?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

My brother in law is going to look at a 2011 BMW X5 (xDrive50i ) with the N63B44. 97K miles. I know very little about his model or drivetrain. What kind of pain is he in for if he buys it? It looks awesome and with 400+hp/450 ft lbs I'd have to have a good reason to tell him it's garbage. TIA.

E: Yikes, looks like the N63 is a real POS between oil consumption, battery consumption, and not recalling that motor. BMW = 20 quarts between oilc changes = OKAY.

There is actually TSB out, and a quasi-settled class action with a cost sharing schedule but it still suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145279-9999.pdf

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Big Taint posted:

I found the Contis to be pretty noisy. Have Toyo Proxes on the M5 and they’re fine, and Michelins on the 740 and they are also fine. Had Goodyear F1s on my old Volvo and was very happy with them on that car for the price.

My experience with all Contis is that they've been noisy to the point of it being unlivable once they have any wear on them at all. My 335 is running ExtremeContact DWS and they are noisy. as. gently caress. with maybe 40% tread life remaining. Noisy enough that I'd think something was wrong with the car if I didn't experience the exact same thing with the exact same tires on my E46 and my E39.

Noisy enough that I'm going to replace them even though these tires could easily last me into next year.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly don’t like Continental or Pirelli for performance tires. One is too loud and the other wears like a soft cheese.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Powershift posted:

There is actually TSB out, and a quasi-settled class action with a cost sharing schedule but it still suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145279-9999.pdf
Compared to the N51 SULEV warranty that sure is a poo poo sandwich for the consumer!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Compared to the N51 SULEV warranty that sure is a poo poo sandwich for the consumer!

:capitalism:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Who lives in Cali and wants a 1 series M with only 798 miles on it? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=522067729

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Everyone. Too bad it's a scam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How is it a scam? Though alarm bells did go off when it's missing about $50k from the price tag.

Edit: Oh, the VIN doesn't exist.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 15, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Late to tire chat, but the first time I autocrossed my Cayman on 4Ses felt like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Caymanchat: I'm looking at cayman s+es in addition to m2-5s now. Still shouldn't get one til I'm done with this job but I can't stop looking.