Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Weird. Reached out to them for abuse from ~200 nodes using their form, provided samples of the malicious traffic that was a brute-force on MySQL. Did the same with Linode, around 20 nodes. Linode got back in touch within the day. DO did not. Removed the blocks after a week, Linode had abated and no change on the DO front. Responses are consistent with other hosting firms that have voiced similar concerns over how abuse remediation is managed with DO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Not sure if there's a better thread for this, but are there any definitive guides for both attaching a FQDN to OpenVPN Access Server and getting an SSL set up on it?

My google-fu here is not helping me much. I have an OpenVPN server running on Debian 9 if that makes a difference.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2019

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm making a little site to show off some art I've been working on and want my own website to put on business cards.

There are a lot of choices and Im not sure which service I should pull the trigger on, so I figured I'd just ask everyone outright.

Can anyone recommend a service or setup that:

1: Does not cost an arm and a leg. (I'll get maybe 30 visitors a month.)
2: Has decent software for website building for a guy who can't code past basic scripts.
3: Has tools for displaying a large gallery of pictures.

I'd appreciate any advice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tenasscity posted:

I'm making a little site to show off some art I've been working on and want my own website to put on business cards.

There are a lot of choices and Im not sure which service I should pull the trigger on, so I figured I'd just ask everyone outright.

2: Has decent software for website building for a guy who can't code past basic scripts.

All of the big names are as you describe: Weebly, wix, squarespace

I see far more artists and photographers using format.com though so I’d start with format.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, so feel free to correct me if I'm in the wrong place.

I've been admin of a wiki for translating a Japanese tabletop rpg for a while (specifically, the wiki's been around for about 7-8 years at this point, back when it was still Wikia and not Fandom). Thing is, especially in the past year, year-and-a-half, I've been more and more disgruntled with how Fandom has been running their poo poo into the ground, kinda wish it was the old Wikia again, and at this point am so fed up I want to move the contents of the wiki to another host, even if I have to copy and paste everything by hand. Thing is, I'm not sure where I'd be able to move the info to. Specifically, I'm looking for somewhere
  1. that's free, because I'm a broke bitch
  2. that can display Japanese characters without making GBS threads itself
  3. that allows for in-line images and tables
  4. preferably with a WYSIWYG editor and retard-proof GUI It's me, I'm the retard in this particular situation
  5. allows for a decent amount of information, because the project is literally translating multiple 300+ page rulebooks
  6. and probably the biggest point, won't delete the wiki after X days/weeks/years of inactivity, because there's been literal years between updates at points due to real life happening.

Any particular suggestions? I really, really loving hate Fandom and want to get this poo poo done sooner rather than later.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aniodia posted:

Any particular suggestions? I really, really loving hate Fandom and want to get this poo poo done sooner rather than later.

Did you come across this page/site: http://awa.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Anti-Wikia_Alliance

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Holy poo poo. I know people have been having issues with Wikia/Fandom for a while, but this is crazy. Like, this goes back before I even thought about starting my wikia page. At the same time, though, I definitely appreciate the link, and I'll look into the options they're suggesting. Gonna take a little to read through everything, but time is something I seem to have quite a bit of lately. Thanks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The domain I didn't lose control to is about to go up and I need to renew. I've been using Lithium hosting for several years. At the time there was some sort of goon code or promotion and I was wondering if there still was one or if that was just an olde days deal to get in new folks. Either way, of the two goon hosts I used, Lithium is great because they didn't let my website die and not answer my questions about what was up or what to do and then later announce they just aren't going to do it anymore anyway. Anyway, want to keep using Lithium, just wanted to see if there are any deals for a website that probably gets 0 visitors most years.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Khanstant posted:

The domain I didn't lose control to is about to go up and I need to renew. I've been using Lithium hosting for several years. At the time there was some sort of goon code or promotion and I was wondering if there still was one or if that was just an olde days deal to get in new folks. Either way, of the two goon hosts I used, Lithium is great because they didn't let my website die and not answer my questions about what was up or what to do and then later announce they just aren't going to do it anymore anyway. Anyway, want to keep using Lithium, just wanted to see if there are any deals for a website that probably gets 0 visitors most years.

Lithium is great.

Did you get their upgrade email? Their new base plan limits only 3 domains which is kind of lame though. I know they monitor this thread but I’ve been reluctant to take their offer. I think I have like 6-7 domains at the moment. Some are just parked... Cpanel prices have gone up though so I guess it makes sense on their end.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tenasscity posted:

Annath posted:

I want to make a very, very simple website for probably a dumb reason (archiving information on a dumb niche video game from the 90s after I discovered many of the fansites I used to visit have disappeared).

I have a domain name through Google Domains.

I have tried Squarespace, but it's too complicated to get it to do what I want. It's all templates and pre-installed graphics/images and its just a huge pain in the rear end.

Back in high school, I used a :filez: copy of Dreamweaver to write a lovely basic website with a list of pages on the left, and content in the middle. I basically want the 2019 version of that, since all it'll have to display is text and the occasional table with sprites.

1. What service or tool should I use to create this?

2. What host should I look at for something like this?

Thanks for any information you can share.

For requests like this I'm surprised https://glitch.com/ isn't being recommended more. You get to host a web page instantly with a single click, without even logging in if you don't feel like it. Dead simple HTML and JavaScript coding if you want it that way, or lots of pre-made sites you can remix if you want all sorts of functionality that goes beyond bare minimum for a website.

Most importantly, it not only lets you define your front end but they give you a free backend. Their own servers will run whatever Node program you type in 24/7, for free, serving up pages using exactly the logic you want. Your program could store stuff server-side so your website has a memory, and some of the apps you can remix already are set up to store stuff to a remote database you can also get for free (for example on mlab.com) so your website can do things like display user posts and other submissions.

It's by Fog Creek, the makers of Stackoverflow, so it's no small time operation.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Khanstant posted:

Sorry, no deals. Your best bet is using a Goon plan linked in the SA-Mart thread.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RocketLunatic posted:

Lithium is great.

Did you get their upgrade email? Their new base plan limits only 3 domains which is kind of lame though. I know they monitor this thread but I’ve been reluctant to take their offer. I think I have like 6-7 domains at the moment. Some are just parked... Cpanel prices have gone up though so I guess it makes sense on their end.

I'm not sure I have, but I have only the one domain. I can't even remember the other host I had for my personal art website. This is just for fuckearth.org which I mostly keep around out of a stubbornness and catharsis for misanthropic days.

DarkLotus posted:

Sorry, no deals. Your best bet is using a Goon plan linked in the SA-Mart thread.

Thanks for the response! I'll just cough up da cash,

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

This is just for fuckearth.org which I mostly keep around out of a stubbornness and catharsis for misanthropic days.

You ought to have clicks redirect to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59cg62wqpY

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I upgraded my very old plan at Lithium Hosting and I think the DNS hasn't propagated yet to the new server. Is there any way that I can check my site if it's working properly at least? I tried just putting in the IP address as a URL butt hat's giving me a 403.

EDIT:

I fixed it. the domains were still pointing towards some old nameservers

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 6, 2019

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Fragrag posted:

I upgraded my very old plan at Lithium Hosting and I think the DNS hasn't propagated yet to the new server. Is there any way that I can check my site if it's working properly at least? I tried just putting in the IP address as a URL butt hat's giving me a 403.

EDIT:

I fixed it. the domains were still pointing towards some old nameservers

I have a thread in SA Mart, this one is general hosting industry stuff. Or you can PM me / submit a ticket!

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Hey.

I didn't see much discussion about the increase in cpanel pricing, but mine went from 13.95 to 30.00. are there any ideal replacements that are cheaper or free that I can use on digital ocean? I only use it for myself and my own accounts not for others or reselling or anything.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

BJA posted:

Hey.

I didn't see much discussion about the increase in cpanel pricing, but mine went from 13.95 to 30.00. are there any ideal replacements that are cheaper or free that I can use on digital ocean? I only use it for myself and my own accounts not for others or reselling or anything.

Mine increased about $1800 / mo, so that's cool.
I've been working with apnscp and will be ditching cPanel as soon as I'm ready to make a large scale migration.

I don't know if it's free for goons anymore, but there was a post in the last few pages about it and a free license for SA members.

nem posted:

By the way, check out apnscp, which is a culmination of my work over these years. I've allocated an unlimited number of free lifetime licenses for SA as a thank you for bankrolling development through Hostineer over these years.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 8, 2019

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Result from the independent Rack911 security audit as well as general chatter on panel audits.

You'll be pressed to find a free panel that's competent at what it does. Devs need to eat and building a platform/frontend around a variety of disparate services is no menial task. Incentivization either is to charge up-front for it (cPanel is a deadend product, but that's a discussion for another day) or produce something so gimped that support contracts are a necessity to run the product. I've looked at ServerPilot and Runcloud for example and both are terrible. SP doesn't provide any brute-force deterrence and Runcloud is what happens when you purchase a sysadmin off Fiverr.

CWP lead dev is a mercurial sonovabitch that alters freemium features on a whim. If you run the code through an ionCube decoder, which all of it is obfuscated by the way, you'd see too the codebase is horrendous. CVEs confirm it.

Vesta's so bad it demanded a fork in the form of Hestia and... MyVestaCP or something of that ilk.

CyberPanel, well Patrick stopped at 50 pages of vulnerabilities and called it a day. Much of the code isn't deduplicated either.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I'm helping someone without much computer knowledge set up a small niche forum. Are any of the one click installs one would get on shared hosting (Simple Machines, myBB, phpBB etc) considered much better than the others? Ideally with the ability to easily save backups.

Also they are thinking of going with hostinger, anyone had any experience with them?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Avoid Hostinger like the plague, shill-heavy company that had the sha password breach fiasco a couple months ago.

They are blacklisted from several communities as well.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Panel demoRelease notes

apnscp (a/k/a "ApisCP") 3.1 has been released! It's been a great opportunity to work with DarkLotus on this release. Now it's out the door after 7 months of development! 3.0 focused on achieving widescale adoption whereas 3.1 is business as usual with innovation. Among the 1650+ commits rolled into this release,

• PHP-FPM, runs off socket activation to mitigate a Thundering herd problem problem on large servers. Each worker pool spins up jailed to the account synthetic filesystem as part of BoxFS. For those used to the single-user behavior of cPanel, it supports running the worker pool as the account owner but from a security standpoint strongly discouraged.
  • TimescaleDB, converts the panel database into an efficient time-series storage system with minimal overhead. It's stupid fast: bandwidth overage queries dropped from 20 seconds to ~150 ms on a hot view. As part of 3.1, TimescaleDB will provide continuous aggregation of resource monitoring to allow apnscp to react quickly to threshold surges. CPU, IO in particular will get 24-hour enforcement windows.
  • Expanded resource throttling to I/O bandwidth + IOPS. apnscp now covers throttling memory, PIDs, CPU, and IO all without requiring third-party licensing.
  • SSO into subordinate domains, domains that are parented to a domain may now be transitioned via SSO to the subordinate domain. It's a compromise on reseller support and opportunity for third-party vendors to integrate billing more readily into apnscp.
  • IPv6 support + NAT/hairpinning auto-detection, apnscp will automatically configure your external IP on install.
  • Delegated whitelisting grants site administrators the option of protecting one or more IP addresses from brute-force deterrence built into Rampart. It solves a problem of 1 user in an office updating their password and getting the entire SOHO blocked. Users still get notified on panel login, but it won't deny access to the affected service.
  • Heightened protection on key URIs, apnscp throttles POST requests on xmlrpc.php and wp-login.php thus improving deterrence to common vectors of abuse.
  • ACMEv2 support. Includes wildcard DNS provided you've connected apnscp to one of 6 supported DNS providers.
  • PowerDNS integrated into mainline, as part of some excellent work by Lithium Hosting. apnscp can piggyback off your cPanel PowerDNS cluster without interference to facilitate migrations.
  • cPanel migrations, introduced in 3.0 but expanded in 3.1. See Migrations.md for more info!
  • FLARE helps get the word out when a critical update comes our way. FLARE checks every 30 minutes for a signal and when found, runs upcp obeying your update policy. It's an excellent solution to ensure you remain protected 24x7x365.
And many more. Be sure to check out the release announcement for all the tasty details. Next on the list with 3.1 is logical replication in rspamd to extend per-user preferences to its before-queue milter, y'know the part that rejects a message before it goes into the mail system and chews up CPU only to be spam.

Thank you everyone for feedback, grit, blood, sweat, and hopefully not too many tears whilst testing. Any other questions feel free to shoot me a message or hop on Discord.

As mentioned above licenses are free for goons. Have fun, but let me know if you manage to break anything!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
What's the pros/cons between:

1. Set up a bunch of domain names and 1 server, create A records under each domain name to point to the same IPv4, and have NGINX blocks figure out what domain name goes to what document root

2. Create a server with a pool of IPv6 addresses, create a bunch of domain names, and set up rDNS configurations so that different IPv6 addresses point to different websites on the same server, and have NGINX blocks that go to different document root.

Is the only different that each site will have a unique IPv6?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 13, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grump posted:

What's the pros/cons between:

1. Set up a bunch of domain names and 1 server, create A records under each domain name to point to the same IPv4, and have NGINX blocks figure out what domain name goes to what document root

2. Create a server with a pool of IPv6 addresses, create a bunch of domain names, and set up rDNS configurations so that different IPv6 addresses point to different websites on the same server, and have NGINX blocks that go to different document root.

Is the only different that each site will have a unique IPv6?

I've got one big con: A bunch of users, including both my employer who has more than 20,000 employees, and also my home setup do not have IPv6 support.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Grump posted:

set up rDNS configurations so that different IPv6 addresses point to different websites on the same server

You mean AAAA records not rDNS

It's a bunch of additional work for no reason

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is this the right thread to ask about hosted mail? I have too many eggs in the Google basket, and their recent rash of arbitrary total-account bans frightens me. I am looking for a new email host with the following features.

- Custom domain support, so I can move again and not have to change my address.
- Standard mail client support, so I'm not necessarily locked down to their lovely webmail portal and phone app.
- Reasonable security, like two-factor.
- Reasonable privacy policy. I'd like to get away from data-mining ad companies, but I don't really need Snowden-level end-to-end encryption features.
- Storage measured in gigabytes, not megs

Yes, I'm totally fine with paying. So far, Zoho, FastMail and Posteo are at the top of my list. I'm wondering if there are any I missed, or if those I listed are bad in some way.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is for personal use.

azurite fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 22, 2019

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

azurite posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about hosted mail? I have too many eggs in the Google basket, and their recent rash of arbitrary total-account bans frightens me. I am looking for a new email host with the following features.

- Custom domain support, so I can move again and not have to change my address.
- Standard mail client support, so I'm not necessarily locked down to their lovely webmail portal and phone app.
- Reasonable security, like two-factor.
- Reasonable privacy policy. I'd like to get away from data-mining ad companies, but I don't really need Snowden-level end-to-end encryption features.
- Storage measured in gigabytes, not megs

Yes, I'm totally fine with paying. So far, Zoho, FastMail and Posteo are at the top of my list. I'm wondering if there are any I missed, or if those I listed are bad in some way.

It seems weird for me to recommend a Microsoft product, but Office 365 Exchange Online would also meet your requirements.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

optikalus posted:

It seems weird for me to recommend a Microsoft product, but Office 365 Exchange Online would also meet your requirements.

This. Also, Teams is p good.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I failed to mention this, but this is for personal use. To use 365 Exchange, would I need a full Office Outlook desktop client? What are my options there?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a cheap shared hosting plan with one of the providers that has advertised here in the past (Lithium Hosting) and it came to my attention that stuff has stopped working in the last few days. It seems to be because the disk usage has gone above the limit. Problem is that I can't find out what is using all the space. The main user control panel says I'm using 2200 MB (my limit is 2000) but the CPanel info page says I'm using only 700 MB; 450 or so is files on disk and the rest is databases. How can I find out what is using the other 1500 megs? I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with shelling out for more space but I have no idea what's eating up the space I do have!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Hammerite posted:

I have a cheap shared hosting plan with one of the providers that has advertised here in the past (Lithium Hosting) and it came to my attention that stuff has stopped working in the last few days. It seems to be because the disk usage has gone above the limit. Problem is that I can't find out what is using all the space. The main user control panel says I'm using 2200 MB (my limit is 2000) but the CPanel info page says I'm using only 700 MB; 450 or so is files on disk and the rest is databases. How can I find out what is using the other 1500 megs? I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with shelling out for more space but I have no idea what's eating up the space I do have!

Submit a ticket, I can take a look :)
cPanel sucks at counting, I've seen this before too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

DarkLotus posted:

Submit a ticket, I can take a look :)
cPanel sucks at counting, I've seen this before too.

Ok, thanks. I have submitted a ticket. I thought I would ask here first - in case people said, "oh yes that is a very common thing, you need to do XYZ".

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Any black fridays deals? nem/darklotus? I'm in the mood for some shared hosting with ssh

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

Any black fridays deals? nem/darklotus? I'm in the mood for some shared hosting with ssh

Historically, the sign up rate for Black Friday and Cyber Monday aren't enough to justify the time it takes to update the website to advertise the promo.
You can use BF2019CM to get 50% off (one-time) your order of shared / reseller hosting. An SA only special I suppose :)

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Biowarfare posted:

I've shifted focus strictly to APNSCP/ApisCP development. Hostineer will always remain a whitelabel brand that provides a unique ecosystem to APNSCP, but now it's time to take its training wheels off and do something better for the hosting industry at large.

That being said, monthly licenses aren't available yet for Black Friday but discounted lifetime licenses are! $99 each through Monday. Monthlies will be available beginning December 15 for $15/month per license. Even if you snagged a free lifetime license from here it's a great opportunity to support development.

Prebuilt images will be available on DigitalOcean sometime in December.

Back to work :whip:

Edit: image is up. Fastest platform install in the ocean. Suck it, cPanel.

nem fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 4, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I opened a ticket 8 days ago because my VPS was offline and would not boot. 8 days of radio silence and then:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Toshimo posted:

I opened a ticket 8 days ago because my VPS was offline and would not boot. 8 days of radio silence and then:

Hahaha, what lovely rear end company is this? Backups? What backups?!?!?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Moey posted:

Hahaha, what lovely rear end company is this? Backups? What backups?!?!?

VPSfx

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Backing up the VM on the VM.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chris Knight posted:

Backing up the VM on the VM.

Backup-ception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
What's a "storage array provider"? If you're a provider of storage arrays, don't you know how they work and how to ship drives off to a data recovery company to have the array rebuilt and data recovered?
Who thinks buying new drives to install in a failed array will work if the off the shelf drives they already had wouldn't work.

Also, who waits a month to inform customers the server is down? This sounds like a company ran by a 16 year old, run away :q: