Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Finally finished up the next SMV batch!

Despite it being the Coastal Kingdom, I know most people are annoyed by water levels. So I only included two aquatic subzones. There are also a couple of "remakes" of SMV1 stages - same general themes but done with new toys.

SMV 3-1: Koopa Beach II
LWB-HGY-Y1H

I tried to focus on the fun you can have with koopas here. I'm glad I found a use for one of the new music tracks too.

SMV 3-2: Leaning Lighthouse
08P-H0P-F2H

I had not done a ghost house up to this point, so I retooled one of my old stages. I worry this stage is a bit too busy, so I'm curious to know what y'all think.

SMV 3-3: Havoc Harbor II
S0T-4R9-54G

I wanted to have the feel of an airship level while keeping the maritime theme.

SMV 3-B: Boiling Point Bastion
NJ0-W1S-FPG

Found a neat application for lava bubbles and glass pipes in this level I had not seen before.

Feedback welcome! Enjoy, and let me know if you get all the challenge coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Snowpeak Descent
Is there a better feeling in Mario than sliding down a slope and killing everything in your path? Nope. I killed Boom Boom by making an icicle fall on him, which felt great. Good use of making a vertical level that's aesthetically pleasing.

Glad you liked it! I completely agree: sliding down a slope through enemies (and then perhaps ramping through a trail of coins) is one of the most purely joyful events in Mario. What are some other simple pleasures of Mario that I could base a level around? Jumping across a sequence of enemies without landing feels great too, but that's a little more difficult than sliding.

If you're doing reviews in return I posted a level on [url=]https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892822&userid=90307#post496594162]the last page[/url].

Thank you everyone who playtested for me. Here's the final version:

Nice level! You did an excellent job setting the mood: the music went together fantastically with the theme, and I enjoyed the little touches like the first time you see a little bit of tomb in the sand. It felt like I was exploring somewhere old, mostly abandoned, and a little hostile. I have mixed feeling about the wind, though. The wind was good aesthetically, but I had to slow down a lot to ensure that I could make jumps that I normally would have no problem with. The tomb itself was neat, and the sound effect when you saw the big enemy tower (a mummy?) did a good job setting the tone. The level could have definitely been longer, though. It would have been neat if there were more chambers in the tomb, perhaps with flame jets or thwomps to act as booby-traps (but not in an unfair way; these things would be less historically realistic, but cool in an Indiana Jones sort of way). And maybe you could have had the player collect a couple red coins, so it felt like they were down in the tomb to retrieve some sort of artifacts. Anyway, great job. I really like levels that have a great sense of place, like this one.

alf_pogs posted:

this was a great level. the belltowers are absolutely a highlight, they just feel so complete and smartly put together.

I live in terror of magikoopas and found the post-belltowers room quite difficult; sapped a few lives, but it never felt un-fun and I loved it

Thanks! I really like the Magikoopas as enemies. They are a little unpredictable (but not annoyingly-so like Hammer Bros.) and they can keep up with Mario through difficult terrain by warping around. For example, I'm not sure if anyone did this, but in the final belltower fight in my level, you can jump up on top of the bells to get space from Boom Boom and fight the Magikoopas up there. I like how their power mostly turns objects into enemies, but can sometimes turn objects into powerups.

Random Stranger posted:

This was a great stage. My sole negative was that there was nothing hidden in the bricks around the stage; the clever player can carry a shell around with them to smash them open and it would have been nice for there to be an occasional treat for them (even popping a goomba out wouldn't be bad since they couldn't drop on the player).

I appreciated at the end that you went ahead and let the player smash that bell as much as they wanted. That was a cool touch.

One of the best things in Mario Maker 2 is that the camera lock lets levels have a better sense of space and you used that really well in how this level is structured.

Oh man, hiding secrets in the blocks would have been great! I didn't even think about that. Oh well, something to keep in mind for the future. I did hide one secret on top of a chandelier in one of the last rooms, but you're definitely right about the blocks. And I totally agree about the scroll-stop. It's a great feature. Thanks for your kind words about level structure. I had to move chunks of the level around to get it to fit together nicely, but I like the way it turned out.

I'll play more of everyone's levels soon! It sounds like there have been a lot of great things posted, so I'm excited to check them out.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I just finished a level, just now and put it up.

Learn To Wall Jump, Nerd
Id: nbf-hwv-vwf

It was kind of hard for me to finish, and I'm a bit worried there is too much randomness in the obstacles, but I could just be terrible at Mario.

Aside from placement, is there a way to control the timing of bill launchers and grinders on tracks?

Also talking about this game, I'm surprised and how invested I am in it. Usually I ignore level editors, if it's packaged with a game, but for some reason, I'm really into putting levels together.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crass Casualty posted:

Also talking about this game, I'm surprised and how invested I am in it. Usually I ignore level editors, if it's packaged with a game, but for some reason, I'm really into putting levels together.

that was one of the surprise delights of mario maker 1: just how amazing the "maker" portion of the game feels to use. having a touchscreen on both consoles was absolutely worthwhile to get the mario maker series.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Revised this a bit based on feedback to be a little more engaging. Still mostly pleasant and easy however. I love the way galoombas wiggle their feet when they're in the claws!

New code edited into the old post/image, 0B4-414-YRF

Fun, relatively chill level. I really liked the sliding section at the end.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

dizzywhip posted:

Bouncy Ball Bog
LKY-WG5-VBG

This was a lot of fun to make! I set out to create something a little more accessible and restrained than my last course, and I like the super ball powerup, so I made a series of little puzzles using it. I was planning on doing some more elaborate setups for the later puzzles, but I ended up feeling that the simpler ones were more fun and less frustrating so I mostly stuck with those. The ball can be a little finicky with more complicated setups.

The nighttime forest theme in SMB1 is super atmospheric so I decided to lean into that and paid a lot of attention to the aesthetics. I also tried making a vague little story out of it but I dunno how much of that comes through.

This is my favorite superball level out of the ones I've played so far. Cool atmosphere, well-designed puzzles, and some incredibly complicated optional shots I couldn't make. I will definitely be replaying this.

Crass Casualty posted:

Learn To Wall Jump, Nerd

It was kind of hard for me to finish, and I'm a bit worried there is too much randomness in the obstacles, but I could just be terrible at Mario.

Aside from placement, is there a way to control the timing of bill launchers and grinders on tracks?

Yyyeah, there's definitely too much randomness going on here. I have a bit of a hammer brothers fetish, but they're a poor fit for this sort of level, especially in combination with the homing bills. The spot where I left a comment in the course is especially bad, and if you're coming from above rather than the left, it's really easy to just get swarmed with bills to the point that you have to tank a hit. I did get past this spot without getting hit on my winning run, but it was dumb luck. I did still have fun with your level despite it being a clusterfuck, and if you redesigned this with enemies that have a set pattern (red paratroopas) or ones that are easier for the player to manipulate (boos), I think I'd really like it.

DarkLich posted:

SMV 3-3: Havoc Harbor II
S0T-4R9-54G

I wanted to have the feel of an airship level while keeping the maritime theme.

Beautiful level (I remember you from Mario Maker 1, and your levels are always beautiful), felt like an ocean ship instead of an attempt at an ocean ship using an airship tileset. My issue with this level is that you made the checkpoints kind of tricky to reach, even moreso than the bonus coins. I feel like that's a dick move, like punishing people for not playing your level optimally by wasting their time. Even the best slow autoscroll sections I don't want to have to sit through a second time if I don't have to. Particularly if the only reason I died is because I was going for the checkpoint!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 11, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
More goooon

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy: I get what you're trying to do but I don't think it works very well. The effects in this game just aren't very disorienting, they're simply annoying. Its a real shame they removed the woozy effect from MM1 because it messed with platforming in a more meaningful but not oppressive way.

Course itself was okay, though I have no clue what the point of the snake block in the last section was.

So Long, Skull Mountain: I have to admit, I didn't understand what this level was trying to do. Felt like a really random hodgepodge of elements. That said, the level was still tied together with vertical focused movement and wall jumping, so it was actually fun too play. I just didn't really 'get' it.

Wario's Logging Company: Decent autoscroller with a fun theme. Its nice to do "collect coin" missions where you don't need every last one. My only real complaint is that getting into the first house after you get a super mushroom is needlessly annoying.

The Ants Go Marching: In contrast to the above level, this requires you to hunt down exactly 50 ants over a level which is just annoying. The stage is unfocused and contains tons of bad design elements. Its just not fun, and very tedious to actually complete.

Slings & Things: I got to the middle of this level and then timed out trying to get the thwomp to fling me past the ON/OFF block. It didn't seem to work at all.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Finally made a level I like and feel good enough about to add to the spreadsheet!

Who doesn't love icicles? Since icicles can gently caress you up bad, I really tried to focus on ways to let you recover from a fall here, I'm interested to know if people think that made it too easy or not.

also played some random levels, so figured I'd join in on giving feedback

On The Mountain
Y5X-CQS-1WF
By: Rambo Giraffe

a nice fun exploration-y level. I like playing ones like these because it reminds me levels can be a good sort of sprawling, rather than like challenge tunnels.

Skipsqueak Hill
VHS-8PR-82G
By: Castor Poe

this was good, but felt a little unfocused, focusing more on two of the three platforming elements (wall jumps, trampolines, cat mario stuff) I think would've made it feel tighter. the jump from the skipsqueak pipe to the big coin, the walljumping back right into the head of the newly spawning one was really satisfying though.

The 8 Pink Coins of Soluna Woods
23G-5JD-B1H
By: Evil Eagle

this was a cool idea for a level! goomba thing made me legit laugh. the coin at the top of the far tree at night was kind of a pain to get without a mushroom, but im also terrible at mario, so ymmv.

You Suffer, But Why?
3JD-9Q4-R9G
By: das crikstar

once i got the rhythm of the first chunk of the level down, the rest of the level basically all came together in one run and was great. those initial hammer bros are nasty tho. fun challenge.

October Sky
VP1-H37-4NF
By: Drinkfist

neat level, but imo probably needs a checkpoint flag before the vertical scroll bit. the shell-trampoline cannon is a cool risk-reward thing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Straight White Shark posted:

Seven Hammers for Seven Brothers

2T1-56L-NKF

Fairly short boss rush-ish level with a bunch of hammer bros in various (semi?) tricky setups. I'll be honest, I mostly made this just for the sake of the title.

I won't be able to play this until tonight, but I love this title and the accompanying theme.

Some of my favorite levels I've made started with a title, title can drive them. My most popular level, Fire Swamp (description: "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."), started with the title, and the theme (all giant moles and flame jets) developed from there.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Varinn posted:

Finally made a level I like and feel good enough about to add to the spreadsheet!

Who doesn't love icicles? Since icicles can gently caress you up bad, I really tried to focus on ways to let you recover from a fall here, I'm interested to know if people think that made it too easy or not.

The 8 Pink Coins of Soluna Woods
23G-5JD-B1H
By: Evil Eagle

this was a cool idea for a level! goomba thing made me legit laugh. the coin at the top of the far tree at night was kind of a pain to get without a mushroom, but im also terrible at mario, so ymmv.

Thanks for playing it, I think it's my best course right now. I didn't even think that a mushroom would help with getting the coin you mentioned, the intended ways were jumping off of the flying dry bones or jumping out of one of the dry bones shells. I thought about making that one slightly easier to grab but decided against it in the end.

I played yours and I enjoyed it, my favorite mechanic was the icicles you placed underneath the on/off switch. I think I would have used that twice, with the ground underneath the switch being a little less safe the second time. As far as difficulty goes, it's pretty standard, there wasn't anything especially frustrating. I will say that having a mushroom makes it really easy to skip the last section and there's a free one right after the checkpoint.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone know what kind of stylus I need to use with the Switch? My tablet one doesn't work and I'd like to draw some comment pictures.

Wish I'd gotten the preorder exclusive one but digital was just too convenient, and everyone is charging like 30 bucks for them

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone know what kind of stylus I need to use with the Switch? My tablet one doesn't work and I'd like to draw some comment pictures.
It needs to work with a capacitive touch screen (i.e. the screen used by most smart devices) - I just bought a £1 Android phone stylus and it works pretty well.

Also if you're a fan of One Piece, you may enjoy my new level:

Adventure in the Land of Wano (65N-44M-C2H)

A lost plumber has washed up on the shores of Wano, the isolationist land of samurai! Help Mario overthrow the emperor of the country and free the people from his cruel tyranny!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I'm making a trilogy of levels inspired by the "Don't Wake Wiggler" minigame in Mario Party.

This one is called "The Wiggler Express". It is an awful bastard of a level where you are trapped on a moving platform with an rear end in a top hat Wiggler who never goes where you want them to go. It has a 0% clear rate thus far and I know why.

Enjoy!

B7S VG5 M0H

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does anyone else have trouble forming puzzles? I feel like not having any red herrings makes the puzzle too easy to dissect, but having them can make puzzles frustrating and cumbersome.

Mechanically, I feel like I can make puzzles that feel good to execute, but I feel like the difficulty slides from not really a puzzle to incomprehensible and frustrating pretty easily.

Is it good enough to have a puzzle that boils down to "use these two or more objects in the right sequence" with a reset door?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dizzywhip posted:

That's clever! I dunno if I can make that work here since there are other enemies that can be killed but I'll keep it in mind for other levels.

After I mentioned the concept to you I did a bit of review of how manipulating the spawn limit worked in MM1 and experimentation on how it has changed. Sadly, it has changed to make doing this kind of gimmick harder, but there's still some tricks you can do.

First off, thread favorite video maker Ceave did a nice video about how it worked in MM1 which lays out a good foundation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Be4Ya2bd8 . He did several "how to build something weird in Mario Maker" videos that are worth looking at if you want to try making contraptions. MM2 is built on the same code base which means a lot of it still works and even things that don't work exactly the same due to physics tweaks can still do something useful.

The important thing to know is that MM2 still has the 100 spawn limit for anything mobile. Power ups and enemies each have their own separate piles so if you just dumped things down like the average Mario Maker level creator you could have 100 koopas standing around and dump 100 stars on the player. But there's more than one way to get power ups and enemies in stages: you can place them in blocks and if there's room in the pile the emerge when hit and if there's not then nothing happens.

The part we're interested in at the moment is the enemy limit so what counts toward that limit? Well, all the enemies, of course. But also bill launchers, cannon balls, floating platforms, POW blocks, P-switches, whirlwinds, any block placed on a track, and doors. In MM1, falling donut blocks used to count which would let you use a thwomp sitting on donuts to add four more "enemies" to the stack which would be incredibly convenient with camera lock able to hide that machinery off-screen, but it no longer works in MM2. So that means for our forced boss fight, you have to go all the way up to the enemy limit in their room and that means enemies aren't available for the rest of the stage.

Or are they? I've been working on clever tricks that manipulate the enemy limit and there's two that let you recover enemies that you can use. The first is doors. Doors only count toward the enemy limit when you are playing the game, not when you are building. So you can put eight doors in the active area for the boss and that's eight enemies you can use elsewhere on the stage. You can put enemies in question blocks and then use one loose enemy to activate them; it's a solution that you'd have to build your stage around but it's a solution. And launchers can be two enemies: the launcher itself and whatever it shoots. I'm not sure how priority works with launchers so you'd have to build your off screen apparatus so that any single launcher failing prevents the system from completing (this might be a good randomizer, too), but you can remove two enemies from your boss spawn trap for every launcher you use and that gives you one enemy back to use elsewhere on the level.

[Interesting experiment for anyone who wants to try: I have not tested what affect this has on Hammer Bros attacks. If the hammers count against the spawn limit then they would stop attacking when the limit is reached.]

One more thing that is very useful to know: things on tracks stay spawned once they load in. So if you put something on a track above the start area, it stays in memory there, always in motion until Mario goes through a pipe or door. This is handy for manipulating that limit since if you use a pipe or door to get into your boss arena, you can know exactly what has loaded and what has not. And if you use rails and don't go through pipes or doors, you can use enemies on them throughout your stage and they affect behavior in your boss room.

Ideally, there's going to be a few more things that count toward the enemy spawn that can be forced to activate and hidden from the player (Maybe use an approach where hidden question blocks are being triggered by a launched shell above the player to push the spawn limit to the max?). Anything that can be created and counts to the limit is something that can be used to recover enemies that can be used elsewhere on the stage.

Thank you for coming to my TEDx talk on Mario Maker 2's enemy spawn limits.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Does anyone else have trouble forming puzzles? I feel like not having any red herrings makes the puzzle too easy to dissect, but having them can make puzzles frustrating and cumbersome.

Mechanically, I feel like I can make puzzles that feel good to execute, but I feel like the difficulty slides from not really a puzzle to incomprehensible and frustrating pretty easily.

Is it good enough to have a puzzle that boils down to "use these two or more objects in the right sequence" with a reset door?

Even the simplest puzzle is an enormous hurdle to most players who just want to walk to the right and jump on things. So making them complex is an even bigger hurdle.

The important thing about a puzzle is that its components have to have an obvious connection to the player's actions. I can make the game behave "inconsistently" to the player's eyes using those spawn limits I was just talking about but that's not a good puzzle because the connection between behavior and result is non-obvious. Players need to see "if I do X, Y happens" and failing to complete it needs to have only the smallest of penalties. Adding complexity often is going to be a problem with that first principle: people won't be able to see how the pieces fit together.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 11, 2019

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'm not submitting this to the spreadsheet, but I do have some questions on where to go from here. I created an incredibly basic level for my 4 year old to start playing Mario. The first level is only jumps, with coins to try to guide her places and arrows showing her to go down or up pipes or hit blocks. I'm trying to think of what to introduce in subsequent levels that won't be too difficult for her, but will be introducing new things. I do plan on doing every level in a different graphics set. I know enemies will be hard for her still.

Any thoughts or advice on where to go from here would be appreciated!

First level, for reference: LT7-XY7-5CG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

OneMoreTime posted:

I liked this level. The muncher jumps are a little tight, but I had a ton of fun and laughed when I realized I was being chased up the tree. Also I really like the feel of the stage, kinda gave me a Mario Land 2 vibe.

Plebian Parasite posted:

This was a cool level, I love the clear DKC inspiration, and it was challenging without feeling too unfair. Points of criticism being the second jump up onto a wiggler after the checkpoint, you're jumping to nearly max height with very little clearance above you and the wiggler arrives at the edge just as you have to make it. Unless you're very fast or very accurate its pretty much a guaranteed hit. The other complaint being the inconsistencies with the jump heights at the end, sometimes a normal jump and sometimes a sprint jump and with the pressure on and limited space to maneuver it makes it a crapshoot to gauge which one you need. Still a great level, very well put together. I like big tree levels.
Thank you both for giving it a shot! Glad the impression was positive overall!

Noted for both of the critique's as well, that wiggler was surprisingly difficult to get to play right so I probably should of messed around with him more as by the time I cleared it he wasn't causing me any issues. Same thing with the sprint jumps. It's why I really appreciate feedback!

---------
Played some goon levels, just from the recent couple pages

Adventure in the Land of Wano - Cat Machine
I have no idea what one piece is outside of a manga so everything flew over my head. With all the decorations though I can tell other folks will like it. The thwomp chase at the end killed me like 3 times though. Bit rough but oh well.

Super Mario Power Fantasy - Cat Machine
God bless America.

Icewrack Ridge - Varinn
A pretty alright level, biggest things that I can call out is that the invisible block placement with the 1up right above the mushroom pipe knocked me down and that didn't feel too good, and the part after the checkpoint was really confusing as I wasn't sure where you wanted me to go. I ended up just falling into a row of saws, panicing and eventually dying when I got to ground level. The solution when I respawned was just to run through the saw at the top and skip everything to get to the goal.
I didn't hate it but can be touched up on to make things more readable, and maybe have that first hidden block moved so it doesn't throw people into the pit (unless that's what you're wanting?)

7-1 Madness Manor - Pixeltendo
A alright challenge chamber level. Nothing was too hard but I feel like the path with the spike helmet could be tweaked a bit. If you get the dry bones shell first it can gently caress with your jumping. My first death was just running off the platform because it wouldn't register a button press.
Really though that's my only complaint. I liked it a lot outside that. Bowl and Helmet completely negated every room though once you get them :v:

Basic Bump-o - Pollyanna
Exactly what you advertised. A pretty simple and straightforward level with bumpers. I was kind of surprised by it's clear rate as I thought that it was easy but eh :v: .
Only thing I can suggest is some coin indicators or something similar. Early in the stage you can launch yourself up to two semi solid mushrooms, red and green. If you go up there I had no idea if it was safe to jump or not and wound up falling in front of the goomba and taking a hit. There was a couple small things like that that just made navigation more tense than probably intended.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 11, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thank you both for giving it a shot! Glad the impression was positive overall!

Noted for both of the critique's as well, that wiggler was surprisingly difficult to get to play right so I probably should of messed around with him more as by the time I cleared it he wasn't causing me any issues. Same thing with the sprint jumps. It's why I really appreciate feedback!

Basic Bump-o - Pollyanna
Exactly what you advertised. A pretty simple and straightforward level with bumpers. I was kind of surprised by it's clear rate as I thought that it was easy but eh :v: .
Only thing I can suggest is some coin indicaors or something similar. Early in the stage you can launch yourself up to two semi solid mushrooms, red and green. If you go up there I had no idea if it was safe to jump or not and wound up falling in front of the goomba and taking a hit. There was a couple small things like that that just made navigation more tense than probably intended.

6 of those are me. I said I hate bumpers right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

I'm not submitting this to the spreadsheet, but I do have some questions on where to go from here. I created an incredibly basic level for my 4 year old to start playing Mario. The first level is only jumps, with coins to try to guide her places and arrows showing her to go down or up pipes or hit blocks. I'm trying to think of what to introduce in subsequent levels that won't be too difficult for her, but will be introducing new things. I do plan on doing every level in a different graphics set. I know enemies will be hard for her still.

You might do something like putting 1x1 holes in the ground and sticking goombas in them, or a 1x1 platform with a goombrat that you drop onto from above (with a safe platform underneath.) Give her a way to interact with enemies without having to aim or dodge or even jump.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Asnorban posted:

Even without targets, Fire Flowers can be fun. I also like playing with piles of POW blocks that have the fireworks effect attached to them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

6 of those are me. I said I hate bumpers right?

Hey I'm not gonna judge

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Lobster posted:

All levels that are cool and good are welcome here!

Well I found the last 1-1 level that anyone should ever make or play.

BWV-4MG-SWF

It's 1-1 except everything is spikes and you have to navigate using strictly P-Switch jumps.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Well I found the last 1-1 level that anyone should ever make or play.

BWV-4MG-SWF

It's 1-1 except everything is spikes and you have to navigate using strictly P-Switch jumps.

I thought P-Switch jumps got patched out during MM1?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
They didn't get patched out, they just became a one frame trick iirc. P switch jumps in 2 are way easier though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Asnorban posted:

If you’ll forgive me a plug I made a “tutorial” level that ended up being pretty popular: 1TF-C8F-YWG. It has a handful of enemies so may be too much for her but could be a source of inspiration for you. I tried doing a lot of silly things to introduce basic concepts like showing goombas bouncing on trampolines or providing harmless Koopas that can be repeatedly abused. I also tried using a lot of positive reinforcement through one ups or sound effects.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I played a hilarious automatic 1-1 level last night. It's an exact replica except springs keep falling from the heavens or coming up from underneath pushing Mario to jump and move in the correct places, including stopping for ten coin blocks or starmans. In most automatic levels it's kind of boring like you are just watching Mario take a ride but this one was more like he was a puppet on strings being manipulated against his will.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Noted for both of the critique's as well, that wiggler was surprisingly difficult to get to play right so I probably should of messed around with him more as by the time I cleared it he wasn't causing me any issues.

I've found that parachutes are excellent for screwing with enemy spawn time and behavior, theyre also the only way to set a regular sized boo on the ground instead of making him a slidy boo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DalaranJ posted:

I hate bumpers, so I don't know that I'm the best person to analyze this, but here goes. It has a simple but solid kishotenketsu form which I liked. You might want to put a powerup right after the flag, unless you want the final challenge to be one hit.

poo poo, that’s a good point. I’ll add a mushroom/flower between the bubbles.

quote:

Also, SMB3 unfortunately does not have a flagpole challenge. I wasn't a big fan of the jump at the edn (but again I hate bumpers), perhaps you could have a single bumper jump up to the goal with additional jumps off to the left side that lead to a platform with a 1up?

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more that end section seems out of place for the level. The rest of the level is more about staying on a bumper instead of chaining jumps. Plus, there’s no point if there’s no platform challenge. I’m probably going to remove it and use it elsewhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Basic Bump-o - Pollyanna

Yeah, it’s harder than it looks.

quote:

Only thing I can suggest is some coin indicators or something similar. Early in the stage you can launch yourself up to two semi solid mushrooms, red and green. If you go up there I had no idea if it was safe to jump or not and wound up falling in front of the goomba and taking a hit. There was a couple small things like that that just made navigation more tense than probably intended.

Gahhhhhh balls you’re right, can’t believe I missed that. That’s even why I used a Paratroopa in the first place. Maybe I’ll replace them with parachuting Goombas.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Straight White Shark posted:

You might do something like putting 1x1 holes in the ground and sticking goombas in them, or a 1x1 platform with a goombrat that you drop onto from above (with a safe platform underneath.) Give her a way to interact with enemies without having to aim or dodge or even jump.

I have one of those in the underground of this level, but will definitely add more and try to find other ways to allow her to defeat enemies.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Even without targets, Fire Flowers can be fun. I also like playing with piles of POW blocks that have the fireworks effect attached to them.

Good idea. I could probably set up a few "trick shot" style things where she can't get in to get hit by the enemy but by firing at the right spot she can still defeat the enemy.

J-Spot posted:

If you’ll forgive me a plug I made a “tutorial” level that ended up being pretty popular: 1TF-C8F-YWG. It has a handful of enemies so may be too much for her but could be a source of inspiration for you. I tried doing a lot of silly things to introduce basic concepts like showing goombas bouncing on trampolines or providing harmless Koopas that can be repeatedly abused. I also tried using a lot of positive reinforcement through one ups or sound effects.

Played through that with her a few days ago, handing off the controller to get her past parts she couldn't. Great job on it.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Beautiful level (I remember you from Mario Maker 1, and your levels are always beautiful), felt like an ocean ship instead of an attempt at an ocean ship using an airship tileset. My issue with this level is that you made the checkpoints kind of tricky to reach, even moreso than the bonus coins. I feel like that's a dick move, like punishing people for not playing your level optimally by wasting their time. Even the best slow autoscroll sections I don't want to have to sit through a second time if I don't have to. Particularly if the only reason I died is because I was going for the checkpoint!

This is very good feedback, thank you. I try to put the checkpoints SLIGHTLY out of the way so that they're sub optimal for speed runners. Risk/reward and all that. However in an auto-scroll level, I guess that matters a little less. You're right though, no one should fear death when trying to get to their checkpoint.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Crass Casualty posted:

Learn To Wall Jump, Nerd

I like this level as a speed run but it was easy to get swarmed. There was one point where a hammer bro jumped down into the area I was supposed to go through, if there was a way to limit their movement it would work even better.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was playing a little bit to kill time and saw a key in a bubble that was floating around like the Mario World Bubbles

Is this a option I've been overlooking?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was playing a little bit to kill time and saw a key in a bubble that was floating around like the Mario World Bubbles

Is this a option I've been overlooking?

That's a multiplayer thing, iirc, since dead people can lose keys but you don't want the key to actually be gone while other people are alive.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Phantasium posted:

That's a multiplayer thing, iirc, since dead people can lose keys but you don't want the key to actually be gone while other people are alive.

Would explain it, instantly started thinking about crane games with bubbled items and got excited

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

The fun thing is that you can steal keys. While this is kind of boring when done with a "locked in a boss room" situation, a level with multiple, criss-crossing paths to the door and the key is gained far from the door is super cool. I've got a 30% complete level built on this idea sitting around which I'll probably go back to once I come up with a few more clever obstacles for the key holder to dodge through.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

DarkLich posted:

Finally finished up the next SMV batch!

I haven't done these four yet, but last night I played through the first two kingdoms you made and they were all excellent. I love how you put the checkpoints at the end of an area instead of the start of the next area; it's a small thing I never would have thought of but it makes the pacing feel a lot better.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Random Stranger posted:

The fun thing is that you can steal keys. While this is kind of boring when done with a "locked in a boss room" situation, a level with multiple, criss-crossing paths to the door and the key is gained far from the door is super cool. I've got a 30% complete level built on this idea sitting around which I'll probably go back to once I come up with a few more clever obstacles for the key holder to dodge through.

How does this function (I.e. stealing keys)? I really want to make a level like this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

How does this function (I.e. stealing keys)? I really want to make a level like this.

You basically jump onto the person with the key and it transfers to you.

One time I stole the key and simultaneously used the recoil to throw me over a barrier to reach the rest of the stage. That was pretty sweet.

A piece of advice for this kind of level design: set it up so the person holding the key has to make themselves vulnerable for a few seconds before entering the door. I'm using donut blocks above a small chamber with the door, but I've also seen see-saws used.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know, I keep trying to think up gimmicky levels, or really well-themed ones (along the lines of the Silent hill one, which was EXCELLENT, btw), and that's been keeping me from getting in and creating.

So, I think I'm just going to try and make honest-to-goodness fun levels that are good for their own sake, not because they're doing something crazy innovative, or 'wow, that's a great interpretation of <insert very non-mario thing here>'.

I'm just going to make ones that play well and leave people with a sense of 'yeah, that was good!' :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Someone alerted me to the best possible multiplayer stage, everyone else pack up your bags and go home:

https://twitter.com/MrZercon/status/1147923544631721984

Internet Kraken posted:

Wario's Logging Company: Decent autoscroller with a fun theme. Its nice to do "collect coin" missions where you don't need every last one. My only real complaint is that getting into the first house after you get a super mushroom is needlessly annoying.

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I went form over function there when I probably shouldn't have.