Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

If you're going to get an electric pressure cooker, spend the few extra bucks and get the Chard/Carrey (it's been sold under both brand names) electric pressure canner. It'll let you take the leftovers you cook and safely can them, which is pretty rockin'.

A lot of canning sources do not recommend using an electric pressure cooker to can food, even if the manufacturer includes it as a feature. I haven't tested it out myself because I have a couple big stove top versions for canning, but apparently the temp/pressure has a large enough variance with some/many electric cookers that you may not hit the USDA recommended time/temp/pressure combo to ensure your canned good is safe. And botulism is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Casu Marzu posted:

A lot of canning sources do not recommend using an electric pressure cooker to can food, even if the manufacturer includes it as a feature. I haven't tested it out myself because I have a couple big stove top versions for canning, but apparently the temp/pressure has a large enough variance with some/many electric cookers that you may not hit the USDA recommended time/temp/pressure combo to ensure your canned good is safe. And botulism is bad.

I completely agree that you should not use a pressure cooker, electric or otherwise, for canning anything that's not high enough acidity for normal water bath canning.

However this is the device I was referring to, which is an electric pressure canner which is designed specifically to get to the pressures needed for safe canning.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
My toddler just came up with an idea that intrigued me: Watermelon Pie with Watermelon Frosting and Broccoli Ice Cream. Could any of that actually work? How would you do it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Funktor posted:

My toddler just came up with an idea that intrigued me: Watermelon Pie with Watermelon Frosting and Broccoli Ice Cream. Could any of that actually work? How would you do it?
Respectively,

Yes, yes, wtf no

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Respectively,

Yes, yes, wtf no

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Im gonna make broccoli ice cream now

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Funktor posted:

I think for watermelon pie, you're best off making it the fashion of a pudding pie.

Make/buy a 9" graham cracker crust then make this as filling:

http://foodnouveau.com/recipes/desserts/custards-puddings/watermelon-pudding/

4 cups chopped and seeded watermelon
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 pack of gelatin (about 2 tsp)
2 Tbs confectionery sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp lime juice

Firstly, make a watermelon puree by tossing the watermelon into a blender and keep going until it's more-or-less juice. Then heat that over low heat until it starts to simmer and dissolve the geletain into it. While it's still hot, transfer it back to the blender with all the rest of the ingredients and to blend all of this together until it's completely smooth, and then pour it into the pie shell, then refrigerate it for about 4 hours so it sets. A stick blender would work too.

When it's set you can make the frosting, and I think a cream cheese based frosting would be good with this.

1 8oz block of cream cheese, warmed to room temp
1/2 stick of butter, also warmed to room temp
2 cups confectionery sugar
1/4 cup of watermelon juice

Beat the cheese and butter together until they're fluffy, then reduce speed on your mixer and toss in the watermelon juice. Once that starts to incorporate, start adding the sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it's a nice, fluffy, homogeneous frosting.

If you've got piping bags, then stuff the frosting into that and pipe it onto the pie in whatever way makes you happy. If you don't then just use a spatula to spread it on top.

Enjoy your diabetes.

I won't be party to broccoli icecream. If you want to tread that path, you're on your own.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 11, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Unsweetened broccoli cheese soup with the texture of ice cream probably wouldn't be the worst thing on earth. I'm not suggesting making it, but I would probably eat it if I had to choose between it and earthworms, say

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Why not try to make broccoli ice cream? There are plenty of good veggie ice creams at fancy shops like beet root, rhubarb and uhhh all the others. Sugar and cream are the main components and your tastebuds / dopamine rush won't discriminate. Besides, broccoli and pistachio basically have the same flavor profile right? Your biggest enemy will be overcooked sulfur smells.

I'd probably blanch or steam some broccoli and chill it in an ice bath to minimize any stink, then get raw almond slivers and add half raw and half toasted. Food process or blend it and add some acid (lemon juice? acidic creams? I don't know) and keep cold to keep stink formation low. Then use that and make ice cream.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mongoose posted:

Besides, broccoli and pistachio basically have the same flavor profile right?

These words...

I keep reading them, but they still don't make sense.....

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

These words...

I keep reading them, but they still don't make sense.....

Use your imagination. Sometimes you have to suspend disbelief and reason, and cook from the heart.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 11, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mongoose posted:

Use your imagination.

I'd rather not in this case

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Weltlich posted:

Firstly, make a watermelon puree by tossing the watermelon into a blender and keep going until it's more-or-less juice. Then heat that over low heat until it starts to simmer and dissolve the geletain into it. While it's still hot, transfer it back to the blender with all the rest of the ingredients and to blend all of this together until it's completely smooth, and then pour it into the pie shell, then refrigerate it for about 4 hours so it sets. A stick blender would work too.

Juice the watermelon but leave it at room temp. Bloom/heat the gelatin in plain water and then blend in as you described. Cooked watermelon gets real gross real fast

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have so many questions and concerns

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mongoose posted:

Why not try to make broccoli ice cream?
because it's gross

Mongoose posted:

There are plenty of good veggie ice creams at fancy shops like beet root, rhubarb and uhhh all the others.
true. notice the common thread? all of those things are high in sugar to begin with

Mongoose posted:

Sugar and cream are the main components
I'm with you so far...

Mongoose posted:

and your tastebuds / dopamine rush won't discriminate.
wrong

Mongoose posted:

Besides, broccoli and pistachio basically have the same flavor profile right?
what

Mongoose posted:

Your biggest enemy will be overcooked sulfur smells.
no, it will be my own hand, for I doubt I could live with myself after making such an abomination

Mongoose posted:

I'd probably blanch or steam some broccoli and chill it in an ice bath to minimize any stink, then get raw almond slivers and add half raw and half toasted. Food process or blend it and add some acid (lemon juice? acidic creams? I don't know) and keep cold to keep stink formation low. Then use that and make ice cream.
get the gently caress out

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I have collected two boxes of wild lemons. Any suggestions for ways to use said lemons? Especially things that use a lot o' lemons or things that will keep // fermented cordial recipes would be particularly awesome if you have some great ones.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I have collected two boxes of wild lemons. Any suggestions for ways to use said lemons? Especially things that use a lot o' lemons or things that will keep // fermented cordial recipes would be particularly awesome if you have some great ones.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html

Thank me later.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Mongoose posted:

Use your imagination. Sometimes you have to suspend disbelief and reason, and cook from the heart.

I don't have to imagine anything -- I once tasted a beverage made with mostly broccoli and sweeteners (fruit juice, in this case). The results were about what you'd expect, if you'd expect something revolting.

I've known people obsessed with trying such things, and the absolute best-case scenario is that they taste very strange and off-putting. The more likely scenario is that it's nigh undrinkable.

There's a reason green vegetables aren't used in deserts, but if you want to waste your time and money on something you'll most likely have to force yourself to swallow, well, that's your prerogative.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Juice them and either freeze the juice as is in icecube trays, or heat them with sugar to make lemonade concentrate and freeze that. Then, when you want lemonade, just pop a couple of lemon cubes into some water and give it a stir!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Something Awful user Mongoose wearing a purple top hat and singing an extremely off key rendition of Pure Imagination while he shits directly into a pot of mung beans boiling in heavy cream

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Bluedeanie posted:

Something Awful user Mongoose wearing a purple top hat and singing an extremely off key rendition of Pure Imagination while he shits directly into a pot of mung beans boiling in heavy cream

:feelsgood:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Mongoose posted:

Why not try to make broccoli ice cream? There are plenty of good veggie ice creams at fancy shops like beet root, rhubarb and uhhh all the others. Sugar and cream are the main components and your tastebuds / dopamine rush won't discriminate. Besides, broccoli and pistachio basically have the same flavor profile right? Your biggest enemy will be overcooked sulfur smells.

I was kind of thinking go the other way. gently caress it. Roast that broccoli with olive oil and s&p so it's all fuckin' delicious then mash that poo poo up, add cream and whatnot, throw that fucker in the ice cream maker and see what happens.

...What happens is you probably toss that poo poo in the trash.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Strangely enough, sweetened boiled mung beans is a Vietnamese dessert.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
As part of the CSA I'm a member of I'm getting so much zucchini and summer squash. We've had it on pizza, we've sautéed it with balsamic vinegar, we've put it on pizza and served it with pasta, we've made zucchini bread, and put it in red curry... what are some interesting things I could do with zucchini that I haven't tried yet?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheCog posted:

As part of the CSA I'm a member of I'm getting so much zucchini and summer squash. We've had it on pizza, we've sautéed it with balsamic vinegar, we've put it on pizza and served it with pasta, we've made zucchini bread, and put it in red curry... what are some interesting things I could do with zucchini that I haven't tried yet?

You can shred it and freeze it in blocks for later use.

We've thrown some in dal and curries, it simmers up beautifully.

Ratatouille and Confit byaldi

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 11, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TheCog posted:

Grilled is good if you have the means.

Zucchini fritters is also good. Kind of like zucchini pancakes.

Mixed in bibimbap is also a good choice (as it would be for most vegetables)

Soup is also good to get rid of excess vegetables, but you may feel it too hot for that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TheCog posted:

Zucchini and squash au gratin

Calabacitas burritos (my favorite way to use up a bunch of it, recipe is very flexible)

Puff Pastry Zucchini and Squash and Cheese Thing (no recipe, layer slices of veggies with melty cheeses--be sure to include some goat cheese-- then bake for a while)

Also I really like chocolate zucchini bread if you are looking for other bread varieties. Makes delicious muffins and you can leave a lot of sugar out.

Squash pickles sort of like bread & butter from a lady at work:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

effika posted:

Calabacitas burritos (my favorite way to use up a bunch of it, recipe is very flexible)

Good call. Also good with roasted green chile as well (as they do in New Mexico).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Do this. I made preserved lemons for the first time during ICSA lemon, and I now can’t imagine how I functioned before

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Do this. I made preserved lemons for the first time during ICSA lemon, and I now can’t imagine how I functioned before

How do you use them / in what way? Just never cooked with them or came across recipes relying on them yet.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That Works posted:

How do you use them / in what way? Just never cooked with them or came across recipes relying on them yet.

They’re used in Middle Eastern and North African recipes mainly. You don’t need a lot as the flavour is really strong, but they add a distinctive flavour to dishes. I’ve used them in Tagines before.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Are English cucumbers ok for pickling?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Also, while I'm here: Butternut squash in a ratatouille - will I regret it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Are English cucumbers ok for pickling?
They work great for quick pickles, but like most slicing cukes they'll get mooshy if held for a long time.

I've got a Japanese cucumber (a slicing cuke that's just a little smaller than an English cuke) that's been going batshit producing fruit this year and after making a couple gallons of sunomono I tried making some bread and butters and they were loving great but the texture started going south pretty quickly (compared to say a Boston pickling cuke).

I have no loving idea how you'd go about pickling a whole English cuke as a sweet gherkin or whatever but if you try it please post pics.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Also, while I'm here: Butternut squash in a ratatouille - will I regret it?
Nah, that's a signature dish of Provençal cuisine. Called a tian, if you want to look up recipes.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

SubG posted:

I have no loving idea how you'd go about pickling a whole English cuke as a sweet gherkin or whatever but if you try it please post pics.

I was just thinking bread n butters but this is the kinda bold and outrageous idea that, if pulled off, might change my whole drat life.

quote:

Nah, that's a signature dish of Provençal cuisine. Called a tian, if you want to look up recipes.

Oh poo poo, good to know. I just improvised on a regular ratatouille recipe. Tasted great but the squash didn't quite cook through enough. I've got enough for a second attempt.

Thank you!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Doom Rooster posted:

It’s generally a supporting player. It adds an aromatic, mapley background sweetness that complements other more savory, potent spices. I wouldn’t ever showcase it in a dish, but dishes it belongs in would seem lacking without it.

If you can get fresh fenugreek, make aloo methi. Super tasty and a great way to showcase the herb!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

The traditional way to use them is in Middle Eastern cooking, but I tend to chuck them in anything: really finely diced, a little goes a long way

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi thread, I wanna make macaroni cheese tomorrow but I'd like some pointers to make it unctuous and oozy like when I've ordered it at restaurants who know what they're doing. I've made it a shitload of times before and am happy enough with my overall method and the ingredients and general composition of the dish. My cheese sauce is delicious with a nice combination of cheeses and other flavours, and I make a panko breadcrumb topping mixed with garlic and parmesan and all that good poo poo.

My main problem is by the time the top is all browned and crispy the body of the dish is quite stodgy and heavy more like a standard pasta bake which while still delicious just doesn't hit the spot in the right way. I have a few thoughts. Firstly, whenever I've cooked this before has been at my family home with a range cooker with a faulty temperature dial.where the oven is either cold or blast furnace temperature, so this definitely doesn't help matters. Secondly, maybe I should add more milk to the sauce to make it thinner before baking, with the idea that after 30 minutes it will boil off to just the right consistency. Also maybe I should undercook the pasta a bit more on the hob so it finishes in the oven.

Can anyone help me perfect this? Now I have a functioning oven and a craving for decent mac and cheese I want to get this right. How long should it be in there, what temperature, are there any cheeses that lend themselves particularly well to the sauce beyond the usual suspects, any other tips would be very much appreciated.

Oh, I also want to add pancetta because a local bar/restaurant served their mac and cheese with it and it was delicious. Should I fry the pancetta off first and mix it into the mac before it goes into the oven? Or would it cook well enough if I mixed it in without cooking first? Thanks in advance!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I can't comment on the cheese sauce, other than suggesting consideration of a sodium citrate-assisted one, but definitely fry off the pancetta before adding or it'll be all pallid with gummy fat and not maillard-reaction'd and yummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hi thread, I wanna make macaroni cheese tomorrow but I'd like some pointers to make it unctuous and oozy like when I've ordered it at restaurants who know what they're doing. I've made it a shitload of times before and am happy enough with my overall method and the ingredients and general composition of the dish. My cheese sauce is delicious with a nice combination of cheeses and other flavours, and I make a panko breadcrumb topping mixed with garlic and parmesan and all that good poo poo.

My main problem is by the time the top is all browned and crispy the body of the dish is quite stodgy and heavy more like a standard pasta bake which while still delicious just doesn't hit the spot in the right way. I have a few thoughts. Firstly, whenever I've cooked this before has been at my family home with a range cooker with a faulty temperature dial.where the oven is either cold or blast furnace temperature, so this definitely doesn't help matters. Secondly, maybe I should add more milk to the sauce to make it thinner before baking, with the idea that after 30 minutes it will boil off to just the right consistency. Also maybe I should undercook the pasta a bit more on the hob so it finishes in the oven.

Can anyone help me perfect this? Now I have a functioning oven and a craving for decent mac and cheese I want to get this right. How long should it be in there, what temperature, are there any cheeses that lend themselves particularly well to the sauce beyond the usual suspects, any other tips would be very much appreciated.

Oh, I also want to add pancetta because a local bar/restaurant served their mac and cheese with it and it was delicious. Should I fry the pancetta off first and mix it into the mac before it goes into the oven? Or would it cook well enough if I mixed it in without cooking first? Thanks in advance!
To expand on what Bollock Monkey said: get some sodium citrate, then google `modernist mac and cheese'. It'll work with more or less any cheese or combination of cheeses you want to use and as a technique is more or less bulletproof.