Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I said come in! posted:

He is an alt-right gamergate guy, who one time on his Twitter went on a rant about how racism against white people is a real thing and that it's okay to have white pride. Another standout moment to me is when Notch went on a rant about how all women are sluts that only wanted his money. He has openly admitted that he is alone and has zero trust of any women because he is scared they will steal everything right from under him. The dude needs serious help.
rofl at making enough money to make your horrible personality and appearance not matter, then being a little bitch about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Capntastic posted:

Snoop Dogg offered to hang out with Notch and play videogames and Notch said “no thank you”.

That is all you need to know.

Wait, what?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

jabro posted:

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/SnoopDogg/status/637666358751133696

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don’t smoke weed but would with Snoop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Snoop Dogg offered to hang out with Notch and play videogames and Notch said “no thank you”.

Yeah I don't trust anyone who doesn't want to hangout with snoop dog.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs and that includes snoop.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

notch didn't withdraw from society, he just went extremely online

he doesn't smoke table chair sized spliffs either, i assume he eats candy instead

also the only cave in his lovely designer mansion is located behind his fat rear end cheeks

i describe the last decade or so of alan moore's life and you go on a notch derail, shameful thread

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Capntastic posted:

he probly did that cos he a recist

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It sounded like Snoop wanted to play minecraft with him as well. Snoop seems to be a pretty good dude.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It sounded like Snoop wanted to play minecraft with him as well. Snoop seems to be a pretty good dude.

His weed is loving expensive. Our legal pot-shop wants close to 18 bucks for a gram.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archonex posted:

It's a bit old, but I gotta say this is really wrong. Games like Ultima 7 were literally the foundation that open world games like Skyrim were made on. Like, it's hard to describe just how amazing that game was back in the day. At times it seemed more like a world sim given how much effort was put into it. Every NPC had a schedule, a job, a house, and a set of personality traits in an era when that sort of thing was given cursory attention at best.

The sheer amount of poo poo to do that had nothing to do with the main game was incredible too. We're talking, you could rob a bank and get away from the guards on a horse drawn cart like some sort of hokey fantasy Ocean's Eleven robber, join a cult and gamble away your character's savings, bake bread (or if you're a psychopath bake it out of blood instead of using milk :stonk:), become a miner and then get eaten by a dragon when you assume that all caves had blackrock ore, etc, etc. In a lot of ways gaming still hasn't caught up to the insane level of detail and potential for loving around it had.

Then Serpent Isle came along and made the game much more linear and less sandboxy. :shrug:

Even Skyrim doesn't really have much detail as 7 did in many areas. One of the craziest things I noticed when going back to play it was when I realized that the NPC's not only had fully fleshed out jobs and life schedules but also altered the world accordingly to their job and personality type. IE: A cook in a tavern will make food using the crafting system which then is handed to a waitress NPC that takes it out for NPC's to eat. And you can do all sorts of crazy bullshit to gently caress with this, up to and including poisoning the food with the right items. Not even Skyrim bothers to simulate all that stuff in the world itself.

Now, how Garriot went from games like that to a Unity store asset flip is a mind boggler. But he had some genuine talent back in the day.

Ya everything started going downhill with serpent isle. UO was good despite LB and he made sure to ruin it with patches and then sold it to literally the worst company ever. I think he was just super pissed at players for not respecting his wildlife simulator code that they had to remove.

I loved casting dance in ultima 7 and just making the npcs all dance for no reason. Also it was great how you could cast armageddon and basically ruin the world and effectively lose the game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

soy posted:

Ya everything started going downhill with serpent isle. UO was good despite LB and he made sure to ruin it with patches and then sold it to literally the worst company ever. I think he was just super pissed at players for not respecting his wildlife simulator code that they had to remove.

I loved casting dance in ultima 7 and just making the npcs all dance for no reason. Also it was great how you could cast armageddon and basically ruin the world and effectively lose the game.

I think it was raph koster who was into the wildlife sim, garriot either had no opinion or was actively against it. Koster had a blog post a few months ago about the anniversary Q&A where he basically said in a roundabout way that the stories garriot was telling, he was not actually around for because he was completely absent from UO's development, and he tells all the stories wrong.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Koster's a game industry veteran which means he never says anything bad about the people who deserve it, but he created that impression when "expanding" on a story that garriot told wrong that people had asked him about.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

His weed is loving expensive. Our legal pot-shop wants close to 18 bucks for a gram.

just got back from my local and paid $8 / gram

snoop if you're interested, i got 5 grams

App13
Dec 31, 2011

This guys definitely up to something

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

30.5 Days posted:

Koster's a game industry veteran which means he never says anything bad about the people who deserve it, but he created that impression when "expanding" on a story that garriot told wrong that people had asked him about.

I read this and saw the video of Garriott talking about it and basically Garriott lied tenfold about how every idea anyone ever had on the ecosystem thing made it into the game and worked flawlessly, then the guy who actually designed it pretty much said 'all we got to work was that the respawns changed sometimes when people killed all the wolves'. So not only was it mostly not the work of Lord British, but most of what he's saying is just pure bullshit.

Also while I enjoy this thread it is weird to me that it's easier to get you guys to hate a bad MMO for years than it is for you to try The Lord of The Rings Online, the #1 MMO still standing

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I really need to get around to opening the box of trinkets from this poo poo. It's been sitting in the cupboard for a year or more now. Did all the promised physical rewards end up getting included in these packages?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

extra stout posted:

Also while I enjoy this thread it is weird to me that it's easier to get you guys to hate a bad MMO for years than it is for you to try The Lord of The Rings Online, the #1 MMO still standing

to be fair i've done both

yoloer420 posted:

I really need to get around to opening the box of trinkets from this poo poo. It's been sitting in the cupboard for a year or more now. Did all the promised physical rewards end up getting included in these packages?

the book from Tracy Hickman did not in final form - I don't know all the details but it is significant drama and most of what everyone who already got everything else and burned it ceremoniously in a youtube video are complaining about.

(mind you, he already wrote the book, it's apparently out there and on Amazon you can buy it and can download the ebook version, but people are very angry and want the autographed special edition they were promised. spoiler: good luck with that)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 31, 2019

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

extra stout posted:

honestly Champion in LOTRO is still my perfect mmo class. Though 90% of my LOTRO experience was smoking a pipe in the prancing pony and decorating my house :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

extra stout posted:

I would continue to play this if it wasn't obvious that it'll be shutting down in the next year or so with the release of the new Lord of the Rings MMO.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Kimsemus posted:

honestly Champion in LOTRO is still my perfect mmo class. Though 90% of my LOTRO experience was smoking a pipe in the prancing pony and decorating my house :v:

Yeah once I realized you could play actual music with the bard instruments, I was done. I'd just sit in town and jam.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

extra stout posted:

As much as I'd like to think this the brutal truth is: There are no good MMOs nor will there ever be

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I would continue to play this if it wasn't obvious that it'll be shutting down in the next year or so with the release of the new Lord of the Rings MMO.

That just means we'll get a private server or two, which I would be extremely down for.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This game doesnt even have enough fans for a real server. No way theyll actually be able to support a private server.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

This game doesnt even have enough fans for a real server. No way theyll actually be able to support a private server.

They're talking about LOTRO I think. What game are you talking about?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gildiss posted:

They're talking about LOTRO I think. What game are you talking about?

his statement is probably equally applicable to Shroud or LOTRO :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

As much as I'd like to think this the brutal truth is: There are no good MMOs nor will there ever be

My good friend, after you're done experiencing the joy and wonder of Lord British's bespoke magnum opus mmo game Shroud Of The Avatar, might I entice you to try this hip & upcoming brand new mmo for cool people https://www.astellia-mmo.com/shop/package for a mere hundred of your Earthbucks Britannian gold coins to purchase the legendary founder pack?

You know it makes sense.

There's no way it will simply be another Riders of Icarus a-like. No way. Almost no way. Well maybe a bit but still unlikely. Buy now if not sooner!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How do people keep falling for the 100+ dollar, early access MMO founder's pack thing? It's Lucy and the Football every time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

How do people keep falling for the 100+ dollar, early access MMO founder's pack thing? It's Lucy and the Football every time.

Because this time it'll be different! :angel:

Not like all those other times because this time around the difference is [CRC error, check disk Y/N]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The direct answer is we are all Charlie Brown. Forever.

Not a guy? Well now you are also your name is Charlie Brown. Forget your old name and welcome to the rest of eternity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

They're rich enough that it doesn't matter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

They're rich enough that it doesn't matter

Actually, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it's the opposite. The reality is that it's typically adults with mental illnesses, and/or addictions in general that buy this stuff. Wealthy people honestly don't waste their money, that is why they are wealthy.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Spending money is pleasurable to people. also humans are bad at abstractions and money is abstract as gently caress. Also star citizen is good

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Actually, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it's the opposite. The reality is that it's typically adults with mental illnesses, and/or addictions in general that buy this stuff. Wealthy people honestly don't waste their money, that is why they are wealthy.

Nah wealthy people just get weirdly nitty about certain things. I have a rich great aunt who drives a nearly 100k Mercedes but wouldn't pay $2 for a banana at an airport because that's more than double what they cost!!

Wealthy people waste money all the time tho, for instance I play FIFA and every year I play several Saudis who have teams where they have obviously put $500+ into the game

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

I don't really agree with this, though. Disposable income is just that -- disposable. I'm not robbing my budget to spend money speculating on what may end up as a bad game. I'll qualify that statement by saying even I was smart enough to not spend money on Shroud.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kimsemus posted:

I don't really agree with this, though. Disposable income is just that -- disposable. I'm not robbing my budget to spend money speculating on what may end up as a bad game. I'll qualify that statement by saying even I was smart enough to not spend money on Shroud.

This doesn't square with the reality that's been exposed in the lootbox era.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I read their FAQ page. Astellia's FAQ has a refund entry. Their refund policy link goes to an empty page:

https://www.astellia-mmo.com/refund-policy

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lonjon posted:

I read their FAQ page. Astellia's FAQ has a refund entry. Their refund policy link goes to an empty page:

https://www.astellia-mmo.com/refund-policy

It loads for me. Your internet browser of choice is broken.

Refund Policy
We appreciate your business and want you to get the most enjoyment possible from playing our games. Because of this, we have implemented the following refund policy for the Astellia.

In-Game Item Refund Policy:
We will refund any non-consumable item if you send a refund request within 3 days of purchase. You can submit your refund request by our customer support at support.astellia-mmo.com or sending an email to support@astellia-mmo.com. Include your name, username, email address, and information about the transaction.

Unfortunately, while we may process refunds on non-consumable items, we reserve the right not to do so at our sole discretion. For instance, if you request an excessive number of refunds within a short period of time, we may refuse to refund those items in order to prevent abuse.

Items that are consumables such as; potions, buffs, and certain items that change your appearance, are not refundable once consumed.

Game Pass Refund Policy:
We will refund your game pass purchase if you submit your refund request by support.astellia-mmo.com or sending an email to support@astellia-mmo.com within 14 days of purchase.

For EU Residents:
Your Right of Withdrawal

If you live in the EU, you may have certain rights by law with regard to withdrawal from certain purchases made online. Please read the following for more information on exercising these rights.

Conditions, Period, and Methods of Exercise

If you sign an agreement, you will have the right to withdraw without giving any reason within 14 days. The withdrawal period expires 14 days after the day of the conclusion of the agreement.

This right of withdrawal does not apply to online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it and you agreed that you would lose your right of withdrawal by starting the performance.

To exercise the right of withdrawal, you must notify us of the following information:

Your name
Your geographic address, and
Where available, your telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address;
You must also notify us of your decision to withdraw from the contract by means of an unambiguous declaration. You can use the withdrawal form template provided below, but it is not mandatory.

You may also complete and submit the model withdrawal form or other unambiguous declaration on our website at support.astellia-mmo.com or via email at support@astellia-mmo.com. If you use these options, we will send you an acknowledgment of receipt of the withdrawal without delay by email.

In order for the withdrawal period of 14 days to be respected, it is required that you transmit your communication relating to the exercise of the right of withdrawal before the expiry of this period. In all cases, the burden of proof for this exercise rests with you.

Effect of Withdrawal

In the event of your withdrawal from the agreement, we will refund all payments received from you without undue delay and, in any event, no later than 14 days from the day we are informed of your decision to withdrawal of the contract.

We will proceed with the refund using the same method of payment that you used for the original transaction. Another way can be used, but only with your express agreement. In any case, this refund will not cause you any expense.

Model Withdrawal Form

Attention: Barunson E&A

I hereby notify you of my retraction of the contract for the sale of __________ below:

Date Ordered: __________
Name of the Consumer: __________
Consumer Address: __________
Signature of the Consumer : __________
(only if sending via paper form)
Date: __________

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Just because they have a substantial income doesnt mean they are wealthy. Lots of tech bro man children types are making a pretty good salary but flush it all away on stupid poo poo like this, Star Citizen and lots of other goofy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait are you suggesting that spending 2, 5, 10, 20k on internet pixels is a bad idea? Wow that's crazy talk.