Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Nice catch! What'd you get it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yay, its iCast 2019. Time to check out all the new shinies that have no use in my life but I still want! :neckbeard:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

prom candy posted:

Nice catch! What'd you get it on?

Live minnows. I got a bunch of other bites too, but none of them stayed on long enough to reel in.

Somebody at the dock also gave me a crappie they didn’t want, so I get to see what that tastes like tonight for dinner.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:stare:

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Wha.. what kind of snake is that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mzuri posted:

Wha.. what kind of snake is that?

Hungry one.

Water moccasin?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I don't think it's a water moccasin. At least, it doesn't look like any that I've seen in Fla. They are fatter and have blocky heads (and pits, but they'd be hard to see in that video).

Based on it being Texas and some Googling, my uneducated guess is diamondback watersnake maybe?

Enigma fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 9, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Now I’m just curious what it tastes like.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Enigma posted:

diamondback watersnake maybe?

Yup, almost certainly.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Should I spool up my new bass spinning rod with 10 lb floro and not overthink it by using braid and a leader?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Is the Wirecutter guide pretty good?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rod-reel-for-most-fishers/

I am looking for a “do-it-all” rod, mostly lakes, rivers, and stream fishing: trout, kokanee, standard stuff in my area of Cascadia. Right now I am using a crappy borrowed spinning rod and want one of my own. I have been looking in the $100-$200 range for the rod and reel, but I’m kind of lost in the many options available.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Hungry one.

Water moccasin?

Like the other poster said, diamondback watersnake. Water moccasin / cottonmouth especially in the TX/LA swamp will be shorter, fatter snakes with black backs and a whitish belly. At least the diamondbacks are non venomous. I wouldn't want a cottonmouth like that anywhere near me on a line. They are mean little shits and will come at you.

The backyard river yielded it's first (adorably tiny) catches.

My wife caught one and I did. Not sure what they are given the small size. Some kind of trout fingerling I guess? We caught them on the little collapsible tenkara pole, 4lb fluoro and #10 hook with live earthworm bait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Those look like some sort of native minnow, a chub of some sort.

Good. Healthy stream.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Those look like some sort of native minnow, a chub of some sort.

Good. Healthy stream.

Ah nice. The 2nd image is from the bridge over the river about 150 yds downstream of the house. There's a wider pool just after the bridge and I've seen rainbow trout being pulled out of there. Now just have to figure what time of day / bait to use to get the trout. These were both caught in the ~1.5h window of sunset to twilight here.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

That Works posted:

Like the other poster said, diamondback watersnake. Water moccasin / cottonmouth especially in the TX/LA swamp will be shorter, fatter snakes with black backs and a whitish belly. At least the diamondbacks are non venomous. I wouldn't want a cottonmouth like that anywhere near me on a line. They are mean little shits and will come at you.

The backyard river yielded it's first (adorably tiny) catches.

My wife caught one and I did. Not sure what they are given the small size. Some kind of trout fingerling I guess? We caught them on the little collapsible tenkara pole, 4lb fluoro and #10 hook with live earthworm bait.

First pic looks like a fallfish, pretty common in streams

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

First pic looks like a fallfish, pretty common in streams

Ah yep, googling for that it sure as hell does. That's definitely it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Planet X posted:

Should I spool up my new bass spinning rod with 10 lb floro and not overthink it by using braid and a leader?

I think that some people would jump straight to braid, but it's definitely not required. Good mono is a perfectly fine option, too. The difference between good and bad mono is noticeable. Do not by South Bend mono for any reason. Point is, you can spend as much as you want, but it's not required to catch fish.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is the Wirecutter guide pretty good?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rod-reel-for-most-fishers/

I am looking for a “do-it-all” rod, mostly lakes, rivers, and stream fishing: trout, kokanee, standard stuff in my area of Cascadia. Right now I am using a crappy borrowed spinning rod and want one of my own. I have been looking in the $100-$200 range for the rod and reel, but I’m kind of lost in the many options available.

I have a similar fishery as you and I'm curious about your borrowed rod. What makes it crappy? There is a Daiwa rod & reel combo (I want to say D-Shock 2500) at Fred Meyer that will do most of what you want to do for less than $40. I think getting one of those and using it a lot will help you narrow down what you're looking for in a specialized, more expensive rod. The fish do not care how much you spend on tackle.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I think that some people would jump straight to braid, but it's definitely not required. Good mono is a perfectly fine option, too. The difference between good and bad mono is noticeable. Do not by South Bend mono for any reason. Point is, you can spend as much as you want, but it's not required to catch fish.

I have a similar fishery as you and I'm curious about your borrowed rod. What makes it crappy? There is a Daiwa rod & reel combo (I want to say D-Shock 2500) at Fred Meyer that will do most of what you want to do for less than $40. I think getting one of those and using it a lot will help you narrow down what you're looking for in a specialized, more expensive rod. The fish do not care how much you spend on tackle.

It’s just an old, super-stiff rod and was primarily used in saltwater and it’s not very smooth reeling in or casting anymore. I’ve tried cleaning it but it doesn’t improve.

I am totally fine spending less, but I was just thinking in terms of durability that more $$ = longer lasting. I will check out that Daiwa combo. I never shop at Fred Meyer, I forgot they had outdoors stuff.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Planet X posted:

Get 20lb braid and 15 or 20lb fluoro leader and don’t look back. Most of us can’t afford the rods and reels the pros use, let alone boats and electronics, but pretty much everyone can afford decent braid, and the performance is just leaps and bounds better than anything else for 95% of fishing applications. If you wanna go cheap just get decent mono. IMO fluoro casts worse and can kink easier than mono.

Just get some power pro for $15, you’ll never spool mono again.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am totally fine spending less, but I was just thinking in terms of durability that more $$ = longer lasting. I will check out that Daiwa combo. I never shop at Fred Meyer, I forgot they had outdoors stuff.

Any cheap rod/reel will last you long enough to decide whether the hobby is worth investing more in, and much longer than that if you take the minimum amount of care of it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Went fishing yesterday afternoon and caught me an 8.5” crappie, in the same spot I caught the catfish the other day and using the same bait. Live minnows are some good poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

There is a Daiwa rod & reel combo (I want to say D-Shock 2500) at Fred Meyer that will do most of what you want to do for less than $40.

Do you mean the MIGHTY DAIWA D SHOCK 1500-B!?!?

I've had mine for years, it's a fine little light rod and reel, 4lb fluro on it atm. I do need to clean it though. It catches tiny thumb size dinks, all the way to 2.5 pound catfish. It's been bombproof for me so far, and I abuse this thing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got one of those on my porch that someone I used to fish with bought. Its a good little basic rod and reel and took a bunch of saltwater use with 0 cleaning or care. I basically keep it around in case someone needs to borrow a rod or reel.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to catch more fish. There was like no useable meat on that crappie I caught yesterday and I ended up giving it to some stray cats.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I want to catch more fish. There was like no useable meat on that crappie I caught yesterday and I ended up giving it to some stray cats.

Try gutting it, scaling it and cutting off the head. Then wrap it in foil and bake it. Get some needle nose pliers and lift the backbone out. Miniature baked filets should fall off.

You simply can’t filet small fish like that but there is usable meat.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

tesilential posted:

Get 20lb braid and 15 or 20lb fluoro leader and don’t look back. Most of us can’t afford the rods and reels the pros use, let alone boats and electronics, but pretty much everyone can afford decent braid, and the performance is just leaps and bounds better than anything else for 95% of fishing applications. If you wanna go cheap just get decent mono. IMO fluoro casts worse and can kink easier than mono.

Just get some power pro for $15, you’ll never spool mono again.

Thanks, I'll definitely consider this. Why 20 lb braid and not something thinner, if all I'm catching are sub 10 lb bass? Is 20lb the standard for braid?

I know nothing about braid, I'm basically going from a decades old basic spinning setup with old old mono to something more modern.

Been trying to keep up on linechat in this thread, but it gets tough sometimes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

20lb braid is really thin. Like 4lb mono thin if I recall right.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the deal with leaders? Like if I'm tying palomar knots I'm using up a ton of line, how long of a leader do you tie on so that you're not always tying new leaders? With the double uniknot can you tie a long enough leader that you can reel it on to your reel and still cast or would that mess it up?

It seems like the kind of thing I don't want to be messing around with on my lovely cramped kayak (pics incoming this weekend if I remember, prepare to be dazzled)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you mean the MIGHTY DAIWA D SHOCK 1500-B!?!?

I've had mine for years, it's a fine little light rod and reel, 4lb fluro on it atm. I do need to clean it though. It catches tiny thumb size dinks, all the way to 2.5 pound catfish. It's been bombproof for me so far, and I abuse this thing.

:hfive: That's the smaller version, yeah! My local Fred Meyer has both and I went for the slightly stouter one since I already have a bunch of ultralight gear (too much, really). I have some 8 lb line on mine, and I take it to the saltwater pier and fish lakes off the bottom with it all of the time. It's a great little rod.

ihop posted:

Any cheap rod/reel will last you long enough to decide whether the hobby is worth investing more in, and much longer than that if you take the minimum amount of care of it.

This is really the point I was trying to make. Just please please please don't buy anything made by South Bend unless it's like split shot.

Planet X posted:

Been trying to keep up on linechat in this thread, but it gets tough sometimes.

Don't stress out about it too much. A great deal of it comes down to personal preference and the type of fishing that you're doing. If you're freelining lures, braid can really help you feel everything that's happening on the business end of your line. If you're plunking bait and cracking a beer while you wait for something to bite, who gives a crap. The most important thing you can do with your line is make sure it's appropriate weight/diameter for the rod, reel, and terminal tackle that you want to use. Too light or too heavy and it'll suck no matter what it is.

prom candy posted:

What's the deal with leaders? Like if I'm tying palomar knots I'm using up a ton of line, how long of a leader do you tie on so that you're not always tying new leaders? With the double uniknot can you tie a long enough leader that you can reel it on to your reel and still cast or would that mess it up?

It seems like the kind of thing I don't want to be messing around with on my lovely cramped kayak (pics incoming this weekend if I remember, prepare to be dazzled)

Don't use a palomar knot for tying leaders to mainline; it's not a low-profile knot and tends to get caught up in the top guide ring, which fucks up your casting. I like a double uniknot for line-to-line connections, and I usually add a significant mono shock leader to my surf rigs that spool all the way to the reel. Works great.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Don't stress out about it too much. A great deal of it comes down to personal preference and the type of fishing that you're doing. If you're freelining lures, braid can really help you feel everything that's happening on the business end of your line. If you're plunking bait and cracking a beer while you wait for something to bite, who gives a crap. The most important thing you can do with your line is make sure it's appropriate weight/diameter for the rod, reel, and terminal tackle that you want to use. Too light or too heavy and it'll suck no matter what it is.

Thanks. It's a Dobins Fury 703 Medium rod with a Pflueger President 3500. I mainly fish ned rigs in moving water (the Potomac) for smallmouth. One of the biggest reasons I upgraded was so that I could feel what's going on more on the business end. Will 20lb braid be appropriate?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Planet X posted:

Thanks. It's a Dobins Fury 703 Medium rod with a Pflueger President 3500. I mainly fish ned rigs in moving water (the Potomac) for smallmouth. One of the biggest reasons I upgraded was so that I could feel what's going on more on the business end. Will 20lb braid be appropriate?

I'd go as light as you can possibly get away with, maybe 8 or 10 lb mainline. 20 would probably be fine, but I am of the mind that fishing is most fun on the lightest tackle possible. Braid doesn't stretch at all, so if it's too heavy it doesn't feel like much of a fight.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Don't use a palomar knot for tying leaders to mainline; it's not a low-profile knot and tends to get caught up in the top guide ring, which fucks up your casting. I like a double uniknot for line-to-line connections, and I usually add a significant mono shock leader to my surf rigs that spool all the way to the reel. Works great.

Think he means tying to the hook with a palomar, you snag and lose and retie and palomars just use up more line, I have the same problem. I usually do my leaders 6-8 feet for that reason and retie when they shorten to a foot. A double uni knot (not uni to uni) to terminal is the strongest most line thrifty knot I've found so far.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just accepted a temp job working with my state fisheries dept boat fishing for chinook salmon. We're imitating local sport fisherman gear and techniques to obtain catch success data and genetic samples. expect some sweet sweet king pics in the near future

Very excited to do what I love professionally :toot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

I just accepted a temp job working with my state fisheries dept boat fishing for chinook salmon. We're imitating local sport fisherman gear and techniques to obtain catch success data and genetic samples. expect some sweet sweet king pics in the near future

Yo forward me some info!

On a realistic note I’m going on a 3 day trip to Neah bay WA this weekend.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Yo forward me some info!

On a realistic note I’m going on a 3 day trip to Neah bay WA this weekend.

Haha, I'm not sure what info I'm allowed to divulge yet, but I'll pass along what I can!

And I've been trying to convince my fiance to go on a trip out to neah bay, but I'm having trouble coming up with non-fishing related arguments to convince her there over other places... Have fun! It looks to be a paradise for bottomfishing. What's your plan? doing a charter? bringing the yak?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Think he means tying to the hook with a palomar, you snag and lose and retie and palomars just use up more line, I have the same problem. I usually do my leaders 6-8 feet for that reason and retie when they shorten to a foot. A double uni knot (not uni to uni) to terminal is the strongest most line thrifty knot I've found so far.

:doh: You're right. But we seem to concur on the solution! I loving love the uniknot, and a line-to-line double-uni is extremely practical.

Hooplah posted:

This is incredible news! Please learn all of their salmon secrets.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Haha, I'm not sure what info I'm allowed to divulge yet, but I'll pass along what I can!

And I've been trying to convince my fiance to go on a trip out to neah bay, but I'm having trouble coming up with non-fishing related arguments to convince her there over other places... Have fun! It looks to be a paradise for bottomfishing. What's your plan? doing a charter? bringing the yak?

My neighbor/buddy has a 25ft. We are planning to do combo salmon in the morning then switch to bottom for the noon.

Whale watching. There’s whales out there getting fat on krill or whatever.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

Warning Phone posting-

I tie about a 4’ leader for general lure fishing. This gives me enough length to retie lures a half dozen times and still have a serviceable leader length. If the leader gets too short early in the day, I’ll retie a new leader. If it’s getting close to dark, I’ll just roll with a short leader. Keeping the leader at 4’ also allows me to cast with the leader knot out of the guides so I don’t premature wear the knot out or mess up the cast. I use canoe man’s loop knot for the lure; it’s super fast and easy to tie, uses so little leader you don’t need to trim the tag end, the tag end is weedless, the knot is strong. I use the Red Phillips knot for braid to fluoro connection, it’s easy and holds extremely well with leader under 60# (over that and the overhand knot in the braid won’t cinch completely and the “uni knot” braid parts can slide through with a big fish. Ask me how I know :sweatdrop: For 60# or heavier leader I switch to the crazy Alberto knot. For Tarpon I go to 7’ leader so their tails don’t smack the braid. For bottom fishing I go to shorter leader (because I lose them much more often, 1-3’ depending on the rig (Carolina vs dropper).

Hooplah posted:

Congrats on the sweet gig! Are you trying to replicate the catch success of a recreational weekend warrior or doing population surveys?

tesilential fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

tesilential posted:

Congrats on the sweet gig! Are you trying to replicate the catch success of a recreational weekend warrior or doing population surveys?

Seems like the former. No netting, no seines. We'll be using the same gear the average sport fisherman would use. So for a salmon newbie like myself, this'll be an amazing crash course in how to catch kings and how to manage the various pieces of gear I know nothing about.