Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

AITA for refusing to call my unborn nephew by his name?

quote:

It’s aryan.

Not arian. Not Erian.

Aryan.

We’re Mexican.

I told my sister how hosed her name choice is on the DL after she announced. She refused to listen. I’ve emphasized how she’s screwing over her kid. She just keeps insisting that it’s cute and her and the dad came up together and they couldn’t agree on any other names.

I refuse to call that kid that. I told her I’d call him Ari or Air or something. She said fine but I was being a bitch.

AITA?

Edit: she got the name from a GOT character, Arya. Aryan is still pronounced like “aryan race” though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Is it possible to be a lazy slob without it being tied to depression?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

depends whether your lazy slobbiness responds to antidepressants I suppose

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Leon Einstein posted:

Definitely. I've known lazy, gross people that are perfectly happy and going out with friends and such, but just don't want to wash a goddamn dish or throw their food out of the fridge when it goes bad.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I'm still laughing to myself that this dude had never heard of gnocchi before.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pussy Quipped posted:

every year for my birthday i take a charcuterie and some wine to the top of a mountain and eat it with friends. last year we met a young man up there who had never even heard of prosciutto before and i blew his mind when i shared my bounty of decadent liberal dried meats + cheeses. i can get that mr. dollar menu had never even heard of gnocchi, but the unforgiveable part is refusing to try it and dismissing it as hipster. i guess the op did admit the food was good though while working himself up for a dine and dash

Leon Einstein posted:

some people are just grody but lack of self care is a huge red flag for depression, especially in someone who was previously well kept

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 11, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for adopting a dog with the same name as my daughter?

My wife and I have two kids, Kristopher (9) and Sadie (12). For Kris' birthday last Friday, my wife and I decided to get him a dog, which he has been asking for since he could talk and we feel he's finally responsible enough to walk/feed a dog himself.

My wife and I decided to adopt an older dog, not a puppy, and a medium sized dog, and preferably a girl dog because I've heard they have better temperaments. Other than that, it was up to me to pick one at the Humane Society and when I got there, I immediately fell in love with a sweet 30lb Pit mix with beautiful green eyes. When I saw her name was Sadie like our daughter, I thought it was a sign that she belonged with our family. My wife thought the coincidence was funny when I told her, too, which is important.

So I arranged the adoption and the shelter agreed we'd pick her up last Friday after a birthday dinner for Kris. I pretended we were stopping at another place in the plaza and went inside and came out with (dog) Sadie. BOTH kids were thrilled but Kris was the happiest I'd ever seen him, and everything was perfect until I told them her name. My daughter Sadie instantly said it was super embarrassing to have the same name as the dog and IMMEDIATELY insisted that Kris change Sadie's name. She kept trying to make him promise but she was already spoiling the birthday gift before we even left the parking lot so I told her we'd talk about it later.

Well, this week has been hellish. Kris is insistent we keep Sadie's name because she's 4 years old and has had that name her whole life. He says you wouldn't rename a 4 year old person and I think he has a point. I also think it's cute and funny that they have the same name. My daughter for some reason is mortified by this and won't even interact with me, her brother, or the dog. My wife, who thought it was cute at first, now says she sees Sadie's point and thinks we need to change the dog's name. I put my foot down because this is Kris' birthday present and his choice.

AITA for not wanting to change the dog's name?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend is named Scott, him and his girlfriend adopted a dog named Scout. They ended up changing the dog's name because every time she called for one of them both would come running.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for leaving my sister-in-law stranded?

Yesterday I got suckered into taking my sister-in-law to her doctor's appointment. Nobody else in the family wanted to help her out, probably because she is so unpleasant to be around.

On the way back from the doctors I stopped at a gas station to get some cold drinks. My sister-in-law followed me into the store. When we were in line to cash out, the guy in front of us was buying five of those huge novelty popsicles and 5 cold drinks with his food stamp card. Then he bought a pack of cigarettes, some gas, and a Mega Millions lottery ticket with cash.

My sister-in-law followed him out to the parking lot and went on a epic self-righteous rant about how this guy is wasting tax-payers money on junk food and lottery, just belittling this man right in front of his children. The worst part about it is this man was in his Walmart uniform and was literally either getting off of work or just going in.

I yelled at her, and reminded her that she hasn't worked a day in the last 15 years that I've known her, and had literally lived with her dad her entire life other than a few times when she ran off with a guy for 6 or 7 months at a time. I was mortified at the situation, I just pulled off and left her rear end there in the parking lot yelling and looking like a dumbass.

My wife is pissed off at me for leaving her sister stranded, because her father had to leave work early and drive 20 miles out of his way to pick her up.

EDIT: I would like to add it was 90 degrees yesterday with 80% humidity, I have no problem with this man buying popsicles for his kids with tax money. It is no one's business what this man spends his food stamps on.

As a family man myself I can only imagine how humiliating it must have been for that man to be degraded in front of his children like that.

There was nothing dangerous about her being left at that gas station. Its was in the middle of the day in the middle of the suburbs. The only danger was the heat, hence the reason the man was buying his kids popsicles.

EDIT 2: She was less than 5 miles from her house. My father-in-law had to drive 20 miles FROM his work to pick her up. She could've walked or took a bus since she was on a main bus route. My father-in-law decided to baby her 32 year old rear end like he always does.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Teenagers get embarrassed easily and have a weak sense of self. Call the dog Sadie 2 or something and it should be fine.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting to change the dog's name?

yeah just change the dog's name or give it a nickname or something. no reason to let your 9yo antagonize your 12yo over how you refer to a dog

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

my dog will roll in on his heelys if you say literally anything in the upbeat tone he's used to hearing his name in, there's zero effort required to change a dog's name

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for assuming every girl my lesbian daughter brings home is her girlfriend ?

I feel as if the title points me as the rear end in a top hat but here me out.

I am a father (44) of three children, two boys and one girl. the eldest is 19 and the one I am talking about in this post.

About two years ago I noticed a few hickeys on my daughters neck and confronted her about it and she confessed that she had been seeing a girl for about 7 months behind my wife and I’s back and said she was a lesbian. We were shocked to say the least and punished her (no phone/car and made her cut contact with this girl) for lying and told her while we loved her we didn’t condone this lifestyle she was planning for herself.

It was rough and we eventually got through it, but there’s still a part of me that doesn’t completely trust her.

Fast forward to now. My daughter stays at home and goes to community college in a car we bought for her. Things are good. However last night I was walking by my daughters room and saw her lying in her bed with a girl I did not know. I immediately swung the door open and she freaks out and the girl immediately leaves out the house.

I sit my daughter down and explain that any girl she brings home has to be within my sight because I am unsure of who she is dating and don’t condone sex in my house or with women. My daughter begins to cry and says I’m being unfair and non accepting. I tell her that it is the same for her siblings and that if my sons brought a girl home the same rules would apply.

I do not condone same sex relationships/sex and told my daughter she’s free to do as she pleases once she moves out, but while she is here and using a car I paid for, it’s my house and my rules. My wife feels the same way.

My daughter and my sister think I’m being unfair since not every girl she brings home is in a relationship with her but I am honestly unsure, especially since she lied about a whole relationship to us. My daughter refuses to speak to me and goes out for long periods of time now and I’m assuming it’s to see the girl that was in her room. AITA here ??

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

LanceHunter posted:

Teenagers get embarrassed easily and have a weak sense of self. Call the dog Sadie 2 or something and it should be fine.
Second Sadie.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for assuming every girl my lesbian daughter brings home is her girlfriend ?

I am a father (44) of three children, two boys and one girl. the eldest is 19 and the one I am talking about in this post.

About two years ago I noticed a few hickeys on my daughters neck and confronted her about it and she confessed that she had been seeing a girl for about 7 months behind my wife and I’s back and said she was a lesbian. We were shocked to say the least and punished her (no phone/car and made her cut contact with this girl) for lying and told her while we loved her we didn’t condone this lifestyle she was planning for herself.

It was rough and we eventually got through it, but there’s still a part of me that doesn’t completely trust her.

Fast forward to now. My daughter stays at home and goes to community college in a car we bought for her. Things are good. However last night I was walking by my daughters room and saw her lying in her bed with a girl I did not know. I immediately swung the door open and she freaks out and the girl immediately leaves out the house.

I sit my daughter down and explain that any girl she brings home has to be within my sight because I am unsure of who she is dating and don’t condone sex in my house or with women. My daughter begins to cry and says I’m being unfair and non accepting. I tell her that it is the same for her siblings and that if my sons brought a girl home the same rules would apply.

I do not condone same sex relationships/sex and told my daughter she’s free to do as she pleases once she moves out, but while she is here and using a car I paid for, it’s my house and my rules. My wife feels the same way.

My daughter and my sister think I’m being unfair since not every girl she brings home is in a relationship with her but I am honestly unsure, especially since she lied about a whole relationship to us. My daughter refuses to speak to me and goes out for long periods of time now and I’m assuming it’s to see the girl that was in her room. AITA here ??

Yep, and for a number of other things too! :murder:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Good hank

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pussy Quipped posted:

WASP America spent most of the 20th century exclusively consuming about a dozen ingredients total, to this day you go far enough inland and even red sauce from a can becomes exotic ethnic cuisine

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 11, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend grew up in a sort of rural area of HK. It was fairly common for families to keep ducks, for food or pets. She was a very good girl and her parents promised her a duck that would be 100% hers, and the moment she got that duck she announced its name: her hated older brother's name. Oldest brother protested at this insult but parents promised the duck would be entirely her responsibility, which included naming rights. Her duck was cool and smart and very dog-like and everyone in the neighbourhood liked it as it would follow her around everywhere. Because the duck was more popular than the older brother everyone would meet him and be like "Oh! You have the same name as Brenda's duck! haha why do you have a duck's name??" and it would enrage him.

Anyways, siblings are jerks but dog-ducks are good.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for leaving my sister-in-law stranded?

Yesterday I got suckered into taking my sister-in-law to her doctor's appointment. Nobody else in the family wanted to help her out, probably because she is so unpleasant to be around.

On the way back from the doctors I stopped at a gas station to get some cold drinks. My sister-in-law followed me into the store. When we were in line to cash out, the guy in front of us was buying five of those huge novelty popsicles and 5 cold drinks with his food stamp card. Then he bought a pack of cigarettes, some gas, and a Mega Millions lottery ticket with cash.

My sister-in-law followed him out to the parking lot and went on a epic self-righteous rant about how this guy is wasting tax-payers money on junk food and lottery, just belittling this man right in front of his children. The worst part about it is this man was in his Walmart uniform and was literally either getting off of work or just going in.

I yelled at her, and reminded her that she hasn't worked a day in the last 15 years that I've known her, and had literally lived with her dad her entire life other than a few times when she ran off with a guy for 6 or 7 months at a time. I was mortified at the situation, I just pulled off and left her rear end there in the parking lot yelling and looking like a dumbass.

My wife is pissed off at me for leaving her sister stranded, because her father had to leave work early and drive 20 miles out of his way to pick her up.

EDIT: I would like to add it was 90 degrees yesterday with 80% humidity, I have no problem with this man buying popsicles for his kids with tax money. It is no one's business what this man spends his food stamps on.

As a family man myself I can only imagine how humiliating it must have been for that man to be degraded in front of his children like that.

There was nothing dangerous about her being left at that gas station. Its was in the middle of the day in the middle of the suburbs. The only danger was the heat, hence the reason the man was buying his kids popsicles.

EDIT 2: She was less than 5 miles from her house. My father-in-law had to drive 20 miles FROM his work to pick her up. She could've walked or took a bus since she was on a main bus route. My father-in-law decided to baby her 32 year old rear end like he always does.

NTA

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Gigantic loving rear end in a top hat.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

At an old workplace we had an admin with a teenage daughter named Riley who spend HOURS on phone at work having tense, whisper-yelling conversations with her every week. When she lost her cool and let her voice rise above a whisper, it would be to say "RILEY! RILEY!" in a short, abrupt way - identical to how you would call out to your dog to get their attention when they chased a squirrel or something. She was too crazy to mock to her face but we laughed about her and her dog-daughter every chance we could behind her back.

Having a name that could be mistaken for a dog's is about as basic bitch white girl as you can get. This girl is going to get her psychology degree and fall in love with some washed up jock who is going to school for accounting in no time with her shoulder-length, straight brown hair.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

literally nowhere in the US calls appetizers entrees, this restaurant just served smaller main courses. it sounds like he got a fancy 6-8oz steak, which is a main course. It doesn't make etymological sense but my dude have you seen the rest of the English language

In the ENGLISH language it's a starter, mate :britain:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Oi chav nicked me entrée

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I know everyone lit that woman's dumb idea up, but I read it as dog shoes with light up heels LIKE heely's, not to literally put a dog on wheels.

Which is still real stupid, but we're focusing on the wrong part.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Dude's a right piece of poo poo for not being able to trust his daughter, and doubly for being homophobic trash

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

therobit posted:

Gigantic loving rear end in a top hat.

Surprised it's just the title that makes this person feel like the rear end in a top hat, I feel the whole goddamn post makes me feel like they are the hugest rear end in a top hat.

I don't condone the lifestyle you chose for yourself, what a piece of poo poo. People need to tell their parents to gently caress off more often.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I know everyone lit that woman's dumb idea up, but I read it as dog shoes with light up heels LIKE heely's, not to literally put a dog on wheels.

Which is still real stupid, but we're focusing on the wrong part.

All 👏 dogs 👏 belong 👏 on 👏 wheels

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
edit: nevermind didn't see I was like three pages behind

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Remember appies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

edit: nevermind didn't see I was like three pages behind

gently caress that, post whatever whenever, we recognize the crazy you reference.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pussy Quipped posted:

~ Fancy foods ~

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can get never hearing of gnocchi, it's not some super rare thing but I can absolutely imagine only seeing it in the grocery store when you go past it for your normal pasta and poo poo.

Writing it off as 'some hipster poo poo', though, is pretty hilarious.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
All Italians are hipsters it's true

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

No
as in no I will not hear you out you pile of flaming garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Barudak posted:

Ladies, I cant delete the video as in the background is the only credible recording of bigfoot ever made

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

feedmegin posted:

In the ENGLISH language it's a starter, mate :britain:

Yall lost your empire; it's the American language now, which we call English, because our entrees are the main course and we do what the gently caress we please.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

"NOKI? YOU ORDERED 'NOKI'? WUZZAT? LIKE SOME KINDA ITALIAN DOUGH BALL? YOU FIGURE I CAN GET GARLIC KNOTS OR SUMTHIN HERE WITH THAT TOMATO SAUCE THEN?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Not sure if anyone's posted this yet but bagel manlet has his own YouTube channel.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

His latest video is Bernie Looking For Pussy

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I [25M] am worried about my gf [25F] of 7 years suddenly hanging with group of male coworkers

quote:

Tl;Dr gf goes out with new male friends often, goes pub and stops texting for hours and reappears at 11pm or so. She frustrated at me pestering her to keep in contact when she is out. Should I be worried?

Hello all,

Me and my gf are generally communicative and regularly text and message each other throughout the day, and see each other each weekend. We live an hour via public transport apart.

We each don't have a lot of friends, and gf went to university but didn't seem to meet anyone alike so she did not make friends at all which was unfortunate. But she does have a part time job and has met a variety of different people there. She has particularly has taken a liking to a few guys there (not girls) and has since been going out after work with them, ranging from 7pm to 11pm or a bit later. They go pub and play games. They once did visit her place (she lives alone in 1 bedroom) and drank a lot of alcohol until like 3am.

Now, I have this instinctual feeling of "what the gently caress does this mean, is this a red flag?" But I can tolerate this sort of thing, it's worrying sure, but it's tolerable as long as some needs are met.

Like for example, a text every hour (not strictly an hour but like hour and half is OK) to just check in with me and be like "yah still out, been great!" or whatever, and then a text saying she got home fine. That, would be completely awesome. She, however, vanishes for hours upon ours. That night at her place til 3am, I got one message out of her at like 11pm, even though I asked her to try and keep in contact.
Another reassuring thing would be that, anytime I talk about my worries or concerns, if she could just give some positive reassurance and feedback like "oh you silly rear end, I love you to pieces, nothing to be worried about" or just any boost of my self-esteem. Instead, it is met with frustrations as I keep repeatedly expressing my concerns, which sometimes turns into panic and strong anxiety. I feel its unfair for someone to deal with a concerned person every time they go out, but I also feel its super easy to dispel and end by just writing a nice positive message.

The vanishing thing is a big deal to me. Its like I stop existing once shes busy with these friends. My mind keeps saying red flag red flag, but I combat it remembering its been 7 years, and that she's lacking friendships, and that it's just some primitive primal instinct in me to protect her from unknown guys or something. I have talked to her about this time and time again but she has said it is just not "in her" to text me as she gets so distracted having fun. She tries but forgets each time.

I'm insecure in general, I worry about my appearance around her although she does compliment me each week. I worry that she's making friends that sound similar to my personality that I no longer stand out.

When arguing about this, she gets frustrated that its not fair I need her to check in with me and stuff, that it would be different if it was with a group of girls from her work, and that I need to trust her.

On bad days, I would eventually contact her at like 12 or the following day and I would dig at her saying "why did you do this again, you said you would do this but you completely didn't ahhhgg whyyy" sorta thing. Never yelling, more just exploding with worry and panic. Generally I'm getting really bad sleep from this as my mind just can't shut off wondering if something bad happened whilst she's out.

Honestly I just want to know if this is normal for me to be worried, should I be cautious at least? How do you deal with it? What is fair and unfair about this situation? Do you have any suggestions to ease it for both of us?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Big surprise, in the comments he's arguing with everyone telling him to seek therapy about his anxiety/clinginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Second Sadie.

The Ultimate Sadie