Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cabbit posted:

Same as Stormblood but with more engaging AOE (by way of having more buttons) and somewhat better mobility (by way of being able to mash Enchanted Reprise during sections of long movement where you can't get by with Dualcast). Mana is a little bit tighter, however.

It does alright DPS and has incredible progression utility because of Verraise.

That's fair, I didn't play in stormblood, so I didn't really follow the state of the game.

For what it's worth, what little I played of rdm at 50 I really liked. I got annoyed with hw MCH's 50% 1-2-3 mechanic, but I haven't minded the rdm 50% mechanic at all because I feel like it flows a lot easier. I'll have to throw it into PotD when I finish the 5.0 msq and see how I like it with a bit more use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

UHD posted:

never stop reaction posting :allears:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

S.J. posted:

THIS WAS ALSO MY REACTION :allears::allears::allears:

Yeah if it's THAT particular moment then it is one of the greatest "gently caress You" moments to the player of all time and I love it, especially when it looks like a good 80-90% of your friends just got killed off

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just finished 3.2

drat... my little Alphinaud and Warrior of Light are growing up...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So what is Elidbius' new full proof plan? Hide on the moon like a little scared boi while Zenos tries and hilariously fails to kill us? Summon other Warriors of Light to try to kill us (because that worked out SO WELL last time!)

Really just seems like the dude is scared, running on empty on ideas and really needs a hug

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DeathSandwich posted:

That's fair, I didn't play in stormblood, so I didn't really follow the state of the game.

For what it's worth, what little I played of rdm at 50 I really liked. I got annoyed with hw MCH's 50% 1-2-3 mechanic, but I haven't minded the rdm 50% mechanic at all because I feel like it flows a lot easier. I'll have to throw it into PotD when I finish the 5.0 msq and see how I like it with a bit more use.

If you like that you might also like Dancer. The rotation is very easy going and flows like RDM, only without cast timers, and your mobility is great with all the dashes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Terper posted:

I just finished 3.2

drat... my little Alphinaud and Warrior of Light are growing up...

I feel like of all the scions, Alphinaud's growth is probably the most significant and the one I enjoy the most. It helps that the course of Heavensward is a very humbling experience for him and despite being the noble heroes he gets put the gently caress in his place by basically everyone and he comes out all the stronger for it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's pretty loving obvious at this point that the only competent member of the group was Hades, who seems to have accomplished literally everything of any lasting value to the Ascian cause. So yeah, pretty sure they are donezo now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cabbit posted:

If you like that you might also like Dancer. The rotation is very easy going and flows like RDM, only without cast timers, and your mobility is great with all the dashes.

I'm kind of picking so I have something for ShW mage role quests. I'm probably rolling as MCH into the physical DPS side at least initially, I might level DNC or MNK further down the line as a funsies class. Having GNB/WHM/MCH/RDM gives me all 4 roles, with MCH being my 'selfish/farm mode' dps and RDM being my utility DPS.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TulliusCicero posted:

So what is Elidbius' new full proof plan? Hide on the moon like a little scared boi while Zenos tries and hilariously fails to kill us? Summon other Warriors of Light to try to kill us (because that worked out SO WELL last time!)

Really just seems like the dude is scared, running on empty on ideas and really needs a hug

Left field theory: He's going to use a combination of Garlemald's cloning technology, a refined version of the Hypertuning/cyborg magitek used on Grynewaht, and the principles behind the Resonant stuff to make his own artificial Warriors of Light.

And since we already know the 8-man raid series is Thancred and Ryne doing the Eden stuff, this is what kicks off the Nier 24-man raid series.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mulva posted:

It's pretty loving obvious at this point that the only competent member of the group was Hades, who seems to have accomplished literally everything of any lasting value to the Ascian cause. So yeah, pretty sure they are donezo now.

I now just imagine Emet-Selch frustrated with his head in his hands :ughh: while Lahabrea switches to his 6th body that day and Elidbius crows about how "this time the WoL plan will surely work!" :downs:

No wonder he never hung out with them

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cabbit posted:

Left field theory: He's going to use a combination of Garlemald's cloning technology, a refined version of the Hypertuning/cyborg magitek used on Grynewaht, and the principles behind the Resonant stuff to make his own artificial Warriors of Light.

And since we already know the 8-man raid series is Thancred and Ryne doing the Eden stuff, this is what kicks off the Nier 24-man raid series.

Generally speaking from past expansions the 24 man isn't directly tied to the main plotline and it kind of does it's own thing. I doubt the 24 man will be Ascian related. Besides, that would put a hinderance on whatever madness Yoko Taro has in store for us. I wonder if he's crazy enough to do a raid boss with a built in high stakes DDR game in the middle of it. lalalalala. The Watchers, they dance.

Also I really want a mount out of the 24 man raid that plays Hills of Radiant Wind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHppNnNZL4

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 11, 2019

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I now just imagine Emet-Selch frustrated with his head in his hands :ughh: while Lahabrea switches to his 6th body that day and Elidbius crows about how "this time the WoL plan will surely work!" :downs:

No wonder he never hung out with them

When Elidibus, Nabrieles and Emet-Selch all go on about what a moron Lahabrea was I initially thought it was supposed to be an "evil is petty" thing where it was showing that the Ascians are so maladjusted they can't even stand each other but it's increasingly obvious that Lahabrea really was just kind of dumb.

Although now I do kind of want a Lahabrea Ultimate raid, based on the Minstrel's interpretation of what fighting Lahabrea at the end of ARR would have been like if he was at his prime.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

TulliusCicero posted:

He hasn't earned a hug yet. Not like our good buddy Emet-Selch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like of all the profoundly humanizing things about Emet, the most underrated is the fact he totally stopped talking to the rest of those jackasses.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've barely been reintroduced to Y'shtola and I still love her

that is all

but so far this expansion has a severe lack of Hilda that is really upsetting me

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the one fact you can rely on every expansion is that y’shtola is the best scion without question

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm close to the end of 3.0 and only finally did we just reconnect with our lost friend Y'shtola. Did not expect it to take that long to unearth someone.

How good is 3.1-3.56?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mulva posted:

Like of all the profoundly humanizing things about Emet, the most underrated is the fact he totally stopped talking to the rest of those jackasses.

I love how they even mention it

"He doesn't tell us what he's up to"

Can't imagine why! :rolleyes:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

khysanth posted:

I'm close to the end of 3.0 and only finally did we just reconnect with our lost friend Y'shtola. Did not expect it to take that long to unearth someone.

How good is 3.1-3.56?

Pretty good actually. The post Heavensward MSQ drags a lot less than the post ARR stuff, so even if you don't like a particular part it's over with pretty quickly. The optional Warring Triad sidequest is pretty cool too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Pretty good actually. The post Heavensward MSQ drags a lot less than the post ARR stuff, so even if you don't like a particular part it's over with pretty quickly. The optional Warring Triad sidequest is pretty cool too.

In my opinion you haven't even beaten Heavensward till 3.5, because the story pretty much has its real finale there

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of Warring Triad: any hints towards what the Primal/Trial series will be for ShB?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TulliusCicero posted:

In my opinion you haven't even beaten Heavensward till 3.5, because the story pretty much has its real finale there

Heavensward ends after final steps and everything after that is the prequel to stormblood :colbert:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

When Elidibus, Nabrieles and Emet-Selch all go on about what a moron Lahabrea was I initially thought it was supposed to be an "evil is petty" thing where it was showing that the Ascians are so maladjusted they can't even stand each other but it's increasingly obvious that Lahabrea really was just kind of dumb.

Although now I do kind of want a Lahabrea Ultimate raid, based on the Minstrel's interpretation of what fighting Lahabrea at the end of ARR would have been like if he was at his prime.

You know, it strikes me that after Emet-Selch, Nabrieles was probably the most competent of the bunch. (spoilering for the sake of the newbies in thread) The moment he figured out you were no longer protected by Hydelyn he went full court press to try and snuff you out and get the relic under Minfilia's guard. He (correctly) figured that no matter how many times you could destroyed his corporeal body, he could just keep coming back. His flaw was that didn't expect that you could trap his soul and for that you loving broke him, hell, none of the Ascians expected that anyone would ever be able to permanently kill them at that point and it came as a shock to the system. Had the Ascians had any level of cooperation between them and not just gone cowboying through their plans solo, they probably could of ended you when Nabrieles made his attack.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
god i need to finish the MSQ so i can read this thread without it looking like a CIA document

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I still need to do a bunch of the SB content; haven't done any of its raid stuff aside from the first first Omega-series fight (though I have done all the stuff from both ARR and Heavensward).

IcePhoenix posted:

People have already answered your question but also if you haven't been talking to the npcs in your group that don't advance the quest (ie: don't have the icon above their heads) when doing MSQ stuff start getting in that habit now because there's some insanely good content hidden away in there that I bet the majority of people will never see.

I've been pretty diligent about reading dialogue since I find the whole setting of this expansion really interesting.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

IcePhoenix posted:

People have already answered your question but also if you haven't been talking to the npcs in your group that don't advance the quest (ie: don't have the icon above their heads) when doing MSQ stuff start getting in that habit now because there's some insanely good content hidden away in there that I bet the majority of people will never see.

Post dungeon 3 and doing the intermission what-are-we-doing-next? chat before heading back to Amh Araeng, there's one bit that's just a regular looking 'click on this party member to continue the plot even though nothing's changed in the last 5 seconds while the quest complete fanfare toots'. Except if you do take the time to talk to the other folks then you have a talk with Emet-Selch where he considers what it means that Zodiark is a primal. He admits that he and the other Ascians have been tempered since they summoned it, and that everything they're doing now is driven by that tempering and they don't have any choice about it. Which is a pretty big reveal in its own right, but is even more so given WoL/Ardbert's musings on the same theme re: Hydelyn. And it's tucked away in a moment that most players would just skip right past, and there's not even a /hug option :( .

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, it strikes me that after Emet-Selch, Nabrieles was probably the most competent of the bunch. (spoilering for the sake of the newbies in thread) The moment he figured out you were no longer protected by Hydelyn he went full court press to try and snuff you out and get the relic under Minfilia's guard. He (correctly) figured that no matter how many times you could destroyed his corporeal body, he could just keep coming back. His flaw was that didn't expect that you could trap his soul and for that you loving broke him, hell, none of the Ascians expected that anyone would ever be able to permanently kill them at that point and it came as a shock to the system. Had the Ascians had any level of cooperation between them and not just gone cowboying through their plans solo, they probably could of ended you when Nabrieles made his attack.

It's interesting how with the Ascians, their plan is actually self-defeating and becomes higher stakes the more they progress it. The more rejoinings that happen, the stronger their opposition becomes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kiffkin posted:

Post dungeon 3 and doing the intermission what-are-we-doing-next? chat before heading back to Amh Araeng, there's one bit that's just a regular looking 'click on this party member to continue the plot even though nothing's changed in the last 5 seconds while the quest complete fanfare toots'. Except if you do take the time to talk to the other folks then you have a talk with Emet-Selch where he considers what it means that Zodiark is a primal. He admits that he and the other Ascians have been tempered since they summoned it, and that everything they're doing now is driven by that tempering and they don't have any choice about it. Which is a pretty big reveal in its own right, but is even more so given WoL/Ardbert's musings on the same theme re: Hydelyn. And it's tucked away in a moment that most players would just skip right past, and there's not even a /hug option :( .

yeah this is one of the things I was referring to but really all your conversations with them are awesome

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

It's interesting how with the Ascians, their plan is actually self-defeating and becomes higher stakes the more they progress it. The more rejoinings that happen, the stronger their opposition becomes.

I think thats because they believed that only a fully merged ascian soul could actually challenge them. Gives another reason why Emet Selch was so interested in the WoL and wanted to determine how powerful they were with the current level of merges.

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Once you get used to dancer, it feels like the simplest job in the game. A physical range that doesn't require you to keep track of a multitude of different things that Bard and Machinist have. Compared to red mage, you don't have to worry about rezzing people or hitting lucid on cooldown to keep your MP up. The only resource to really manage is your fans and all that requires is resisting the urge to use them right away when they should be saved for technical step burst.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like with DNC I occasionally find a way to use flourish at the exact moment before I need to deal with some mechanics. Or sometimes my brains desire to hit the cooldown overrides my better sense and I lose some procs in the process.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of Warring Triad: any hints towards what the Primal/Trial series will be for ShB?

The Four Old Men. :getin:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kiffkin posted:

Except if you do take the time to talk to the other folks then you have a talk with Emet-Selch where he considers what it means that Zodiark is a primal. He admits that he and the other Ascians have been tempered since they summoned it, and that everything they're doing now is driven by that tempering and they don't have any choice about it. Which is a pretty big reveal in its own right, but is even more so given WoL/Ardbert's musings on the same theme re: Hydelyn.

This bit is honestly the biggest mystery the expansion raises. What's the one thing the Echo's really good at, to the point of being the entire instigator of your initial quest? Making you immune to primal influence. What's the one thing all of the Unsundered Ascians have? The Echo. So if all of the Unsundered Ascians are tempered, what does that make the Echo? The obvious answer might be, "The Echo is the power conferred by Hydaelyn/Zodiark on their tempered," but the Resonant show no signs of being tempered, despite having exact copies of the aetheric patterns of the Echo. So what's the deal?[

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vermain posted:

This bit is honestly the biggest mystery the expansion raises. What's the one thing the Echo's really good at, to the point of being the entire instigator of your initial quest? Making you immune to primal influence. What's the one thing all of the Unsundered Ascians have? The Echo. So if all of the Unsundered Ascians are tempered, what does that make the Echo? The obvious answer might be, "The Echo is the power conferred by Hydaelyn/Zodiark on their tempered," but the Resonant show no signs of being tempered, despite having exact copies of the aetheric patterns of the Echo. So what's the deal?[

I almost feel like Emet is using it as an excuse for himself though

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

LunarEmerald posted:

Once you get used to dancer, it feels like the simplest job in the game. A physical range that doesn't require you to keep track of a multitude of different things that Bard and Machinist have. Compared to red mage, you don't have to worry about rezzing people or hitting lucid on cooldown to keep your MP up. The only resource to really manage is your fans and all that requires is resisting the urge to use them right away when they should be saved for technical step burst.

Yeah, uh, yeah I totally save feathers tugs collar

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The Four Old Men. :getin:

running the world. oh yes. why contain it? 's cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, Hydaelyn's chosen don't show any of the signs of being tempered. The idea doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

:agreed: except mine looks special

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Hydaelyn's chosen don't show any of the signs of being tempered. The idea doesn't make sense.

yeah being tempered has really obvious features which is why the ananta were able to join us at the peace council and summon lakshmi in the middle of it

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 11, 2019