Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Harrow posted:

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

I am a huge Tactics and Tactics advance fan, and they will never let me be a Bangaa so Viera from elf was my next choice

Also my Veena lady looks boss as hell and fed up with your poo poo, so I think it worked out

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

:same:

I think the only thing that could maybe get me to race change would be FFTA Moogles, and even then I think it'd be real hard because it would be such a shift.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oxyclean posted:

:same:

I think the only thing that could maybe get me to race change would be FFTA Moogles, and even then I think it'd be real hard because it would be such a shift.

I made my guy look like such a nu Metal tool, and samurai armor has only accentuated that, that I can’t do it either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The annoying thing is that my dude's hair clips real bad with the Gunbreaker AF coat's collar but I can't bring myself to change it because then he just doesn't look like himself. So I will just embrace the clipping.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I almost feel like Emet is using it as an excuse for himself though

he totally is

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah being tempered has really obvious features which is why the ananta were able to join us at the peace council and summon lakshmi in the middle of it

You think you're disagreeing with me when you're really agreeing.

24 hours is how the ananta could keep it in their snake-pants before they started trying to temper everybody.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So I’m still leveling it, but looking things over am I right in thinking that Hypercharge for MCH is basically “mash Heat Blast/Auto-crossbow, pump as many Gauss Rounds and Ricochet out as possible” or am I missing some nuance?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand Brittain posted:

You think you're disagreeing with me when you're really agreeing.

:rolleyes:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Harrow posted:

Hair is easy to change. That at least is something that would be weird if it remained static all the time.

Also have a bunch of pictures. not sure if any might be spoilery so just hiding them all.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah being tempered has really obvious features which is why the ananta were able to join us at the peace council and summon lakshmi in the middle of it

they already knew about the tempering

they were invited anyway because solidarity meant nothing if not everyone was welcome

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

It's interesting how with the Ascians, their plan is actually self-defeating and becomes higher stakes the more they progress it. The more rejoinings that happen, the stronger their opposition becomes.

I think they're hopeful that the WoL and others with the echo would eventually come around to the idea of "yeah this power is pretty great, we should just let the last few rejoinings happen so we can be whole again." Which is somewhat foolish considering they're presumably reincarnations of the ones that summoned Hydaelyn in the first place.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UHD posted:

they already knew about the tempering

they were invited anyway because solidarity meant nothing if not everyone was welcome

That's a much better point (clearly my memory is more fuzzy on it than I thought) but my main point was that A: being tempered doesn't always have any obvious tells and B: every primal's tempering works differently anyway

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

suddenly it occurs to me: does thancred ever say the "this place certainly has changed... and not at all for the better!" line from the trailer? if not, I wonder if it's either intended for the 5.x patches or related to the rumors of a cut dungeon

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

World War Mammories posted:

suddenly it occurs to me: does thancred ever say the "this place certainly has changed... and not at all for the better!" line from the trailer? if not, I wonder if it's either intended for the 5.x patches or related to the rumors of a cut dungeon

That's supposed to be when Thancred is breaking Minfy out of prison prior to your arrival. Presumably the conversation between Urianger and Matoya is the same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gruckles posted:

I think they're hopeful that the WoL and others with the echo would eventually come around to the idea of "yeah this power is pretty great, we should just let the last few rejoinings happen so we can be whole again." Which is somewhat foolish considering they're presumably reincarnations of the ones that summoned Hydaelyn in the first place.

I don't think Emet and friends knew exactly who the Warrior is a reincarnation of. They know she is one of them, but Emet's friend in Amaurot asks you if Emet's realized who you are yet - then theorizes that Emet's been unusually friendly towards you because you remind him so much of someone in particular. I think it's only at the end when Emet briefly sees the Warrior as an Ascian that he realizes who she is, and he dies before he can tell anyone else.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Hydaelyn's chosen don't show any of the signs of being tempered. The idea doesn't make sense.

I mean, to be tempered means you are going to act according to the will of what tempered you. The 'lesser' primals of the beastmen want to propegate, they want more devoted followers and they want a physical presence on the world, so that's what their followers do. It could be that Hydaelyn's will is to keep Zodiark contained and doesn't necessarily want for much else aside from being the best boy murderhobo. Or if we want to get super loving meta with the theorycrafting You, the person playing the character is essentially enacting Hydaelyn's tempered will and your player character is moving according to that.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I made it to Stormblood, hoo yeah!

There's been a lot of BLM chat, but I wanted to ask here again. For 60/70 AoE rotation, should I just be going from Flare to Bliz2 to Flare, with transpose in between? I was previously using Fire2 to get 3 AF then going into Enochian for ST DPS, but that seems wrong.

Also, how (un)wise would it be to swap from BLM66 to GBR60 for the MSQ? I figure since I'm already out leveled with BLM, I can try out a tank class for a bit without having to go 1-60.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

I think those trailer scenes are what the Scions were doing before the WoL showed up in the first.

Relatively early-mid Shadow Bringer spoilers
Thancred is rescuing Minfillia in the trailer. The scene with Ysholta and Ure seems to be when Ysholta saves the night worshippers from the fire. Later in the MSQ, Thancred mentions how Eulmore reminded him of Limsa Lominsa but is actually bad and not cool like Limsa Lominsa.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, to be tempered means you are going to act according to the will of what tempered you. The 'lesser' primals of the beastmen want to propegate, they want more devoted followers and they want a physical presence on the world, so that's what their followers do. It could be that Hydaelyn's will is to keep Zodiark contained and doesn't necessarily want for much else aside from being the best boy murderhobo. Or if we want to get super loving meta with the theorycrafting You, the person playing the character is essentially enacting Hydaelyn's tempered will and your player character is moving according to that.

I never liked this theory

if hydaelyn is really a primal as we understand them then her disposition is based on her summoners. if emet-selch is right then she was summoned in opposition of zodiark who was created by a fearful people trying desperately to forestall their doom by any means necessary

it’s more likely that even if hydaelyn’s chosen are tempered in the traditional sense, she chose her champions because their souls are predisposed to helping others and thus would do what she wanted anyway only now they can do it better because of her blessing

also possible hydaelyn doesn’t temper people and her blessing is entirely different but that doesn’t let people wax poetic about how the wol has no free will

I like that more anyway, I could be wrong

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
As opposed to the fearful people trying not to be sacrificed to a dark god?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

i was super attached to my au ra and was hesitant about the change but honestly i think if hrothgar were available when i made a character i'd have picked one then, so i've been super satisfied

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mulva posted:

As opposed to the fearful people trying not to be sacrificed to a dark god?

I don’t think that was exactly how he framed it himself

it was more about protecting life than personal salvation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i was super attached to my au ra and was hesitant about the change but honestly i think if hrothgar were available when i made a character i'd have picked one then, so i've been super satisfied

Yeah, I suppose that's one case where I can understand it, if a new race is like "hell yes this is what I've been waiting for all along." That'd probably make your character feel more right, in that case.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The WoL being tempered flies in the face of every theme regarding heroism and free will that this game has ever had and if they didn't drop that dark lore bomb in this, the super dark expansion full of lore bombs, then it's not a real thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The WoL is not tempered and neither is Emet. Emet is using that as an excuse for his actions, as well as his moral relativism, because if he is not just destroying shades of real people and actual people to bring his back, he has to face up to the fact he is committing genocide for his "greater cause".

Zodiark didn't make Emet make an entire illusionary city or talk to you, or rescue Y'shtola, or even explain his origins and try to bond with you, or try to get you to see his point of view, or express pity for you; he's choosing from his own free will to do that, and he is using Zodiark to say that he isn't

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 11, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah everything about zodiark and hydelyn potentially tempering their summoners/heroes is dumb because it eliminates the ability for them to make their decisions. One of the strongest moments Emet has is when he tells you that half their society willingly sacrificed themselves to save their star and how he knows that humanity as it exists now will never have that sort of collective resolve

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also I'm late to crystal chat but if you complete all four role quest lines you get a quest that is very explicit about what those crystals are and what they mean

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

re:hydaelyn I'm expecting Hydaelyn is like that Titan summoned by a mourning kid, she's an exception summoned by the exceptionally positive and loving emotions of people selflessly taking a stand for new life their society sees as lesser. My guess is that her tempering works in a sort of reverse, where heroic individuals are drawn into her patronage and protection while they grow.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

tithin posted:

Ilbled you traitorous worm!

Hell yeah. The game only gets better from here. But this was all still brilliant

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

Honestly? I fault the ability to have all the jobs on one character. Sometimes, the jobs just don't always look convincingly-animated for what I play. (I also always gently caress around with Fantasias at the end of each expansion to amuse myself during the doldrums, but that's separate to the other thing) At any rate, observe, the many faces of this particular WoL:

Highlady through all of ARR, catboy on the backend of ARR leading into HW.

(These two did not last more than a week, each. They really put the waif into waifu, and I couldn't get over that run.)

My roegadame, which I have THE MOST TIME spent, through all of HW and SB. Also, when I learned to use ReShade. Also, when I forced myself to start taking more screenshots. Surprisingly, all animations work well for them, from NIN to WAR. My only complaint is that some of the generic female combat idle animations are overly dainty. But that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to get one of the better flying chair sits.

The potato I spent the last few months of SB as, and through all of MSQ, because I wanted to be able to explore the potato-only areas. I was underwhelmed, and unless they add more in the future, not worth going potato for the sake of it. Tanking as a potato is amusing.

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

What I fantasiaed to Monday night. Holy poo poo Hrothgar are dummy thicc, and I can't buy him doing the healer or MCH thing. Absolutely a race that I would only ever play as tank/melee DPS/specific casters. Unless the Hrothgar naming conventions come out soon, I'm probably going to pop one of my last two Fantasias to detour through Viera on my way back to Roegadame.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 11, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TulliusCicero posted:

The WoL is not tempered and neither is Emet. Emet is using that as an excuse for his actions, as well as his moral relativism, because if he is not just destroying shades of real people and actual people to bring his back, he has to face up to the fact he is committing genocide for his "greater cause".

Zodiark didn't make Emet make an entire illusionary city or talk to you, or rescue Y'shtola, or even explain his origins and try to bond with you, or try to get you to see his point of view, or express pity for you; he's choosing from his own free will to do that, and he is using Zodiark to say that he isn't

Or maybe tempering from the Big Two just works differently. One of the big things about Emet in ShB is that he never lies to us, why would that one statement be the exception?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bussamove posted:

So I’m still leveling it, but looking things over am I right in thinking that Hypercharge for MCH is basically “mash Heat Blast/Auto-crossbow, pump as many Gauss Rounds and Ricochet out as possible” or am I missing some nuance?

Correct. There isn't much nuance in new MCH to be honest, just lots of fighting to keep your cds synced.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

I played as a catgirl for all of ARR. Then at the end of ARR, my wife started playing and created a catgirl, so to differentiate myself, I transcended to the master race of highlady. I look at old pictures of my catgirl now and I'm like "Hrm... I remember doing that, but that's not me." So I'm right there with you. I have like 2-3 hair styles I'll cycle through, but there's one I use more than any others. I'll dye my hair, but I can't imagine changing much else.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Honestly? I fault the ability to have all the jobs on one character. Sometimes, the jobs just don't always look convincingly-animated for what I play. (I also always gently caress around with Fantasias at the end of each expansion to amuse myself during the doldrums, but that's separate to the other thing) At any rate, observe, the many faces of this particular WoL:

Highlady through all of ARR, catboy on the backend of ARR leading into HW.

(These two did not last more than a week, each. They really put the waif into waifu, and I couldn't get over that run.)

My roegadame, which I have THE MOST TIME spent, through all of HW and SB. Also, when I learned to use ReShade.

The potato I spent the last few months of SB as, and through all of MSQ, because I wanted to be able to explore the potato-only areas. I was underwhelmed, and unless they add more in the future, not worth going potato for the sake of it.

What I fantasiaed to Monday night. Holy poo poo Hrothgar are dummy thicc, and I can't buy him doing the healer or MCH thing. Absolutely a race that I would only ever play as tank/melee DPS/specific casters. Unless the Hrothgar naming conventions come out soon, I'm probably going to pop one of my last two Fantasias to detour through Viera on my way back to Roegadame.

This is why I play a human. I want to play a Roe, but it seems to weird to be a WHM. I want to be a Lalafell, but it would feel off to play War.

So i just play a human.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Harrow posted:

I change my hair constantly, but every time I've never been able to make something that I like as well as my giraffe. I did make a dark giraffe that thought about switching to, but it was a twin of my wood giraffe and so I didn't bother.

My character is mine drat it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bussamove posted:

yes, but if you find yourself clipping and not getting a full 5 shots off you can always empty your gauss/ricochet charges beforehand and focus on getting the GCDs out until the hypercharge is over

it's possible that optimization will involve ending with a non-overheated weaponskill for the additional potency but I think that would've long been mathed out and common knowledge already if it were the case.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

UHD posted:

I don’t think that was exactly how he framed it himself

it was more about protecting life than personal salvation

That's the same exact motivation for both Hydaelyn and Zodiark. The only difference is that Hydaelyn's motivation was, intrinsically, more militant. Zodiark was purely based on protecting their world, and Hydaelyn was based on opposing Zodiark. This doesn't make her eviler or anything, but if the circumstances behind her summoning would lead her to be good than there's no reason Zodiark wouldn't be either.

CYBEReris posted:

re:hydaelyn I'm expecting Hydaelyn is like that Titan summoned by a mourning kid, she's an exception summoned by the exceptionally positive and loving emotions of people selflessly taking a stand for new life their society sees as lesser. My guess is that her tempering works in a sort of reverse, where heroic individuals are drawn into her patronage and protection while they grow.

And again, that's basically the exact same motivation as Zodiark. He was originally summoned by half the population selflessly giving up their lives to save the world and protect the rest. She's not special. There's plenty of 'Good' Primals, like Alexander who worked to defeat his own existence because it was a threat to reality. The nature of the wish that summoned him would have him as a perfectly rational and omni-competent force for protection, and if that meant the thing people needed to be protected from was him? So be it. Lightning Dad realizes the problems inherent in his existence too. Shiva is more like an avatar than a free-roaming Primal. There's nothing special about anything related to Hydaelyn except for the nature of the beings that summoned her.

As for the nature of tempering....We've never seen it done on someone as old and as powerful as him. It was done on Phoenix for a bit, and we saw that break, which is not something that generally known to be possible. Maybe after 10,000 years the nearly omnipotent demi-god just sort of wore down whatever compulsion it has a bit. Maybe he's just too sad and tired for it to matter to him anymore. Most of the people we see it happen to are fanatics who have just been tempered. We don't really know much about the process at all.

e: Black bars y'all.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 11, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

This is why I play a human. I want to play a Roe, but it seems to weird to be a WHM. I want to be a Lalafell, but it would feel off to play War.

So i just play a human.

For me, the only constant is that I play WAR. I have other problems with WHM that make me not want to play it. Like, I physically get angry whenever I play WHM, because of how easy it is to heal on that job, but all the lovely healers are inexorably pulled to it.

Also, drat, I editted right after, but you caught me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

Or maybe tempering from the Big Two just works differently. One of the big things about Emet in ShB is that he never lies to us, why would that one statement be the exception?

Emet may never knowingly lie to us, but I don't think he's an unbiased source of information either. I would absolutely believe that he's not tempered, but he tells himself that he is - and may even sincerely believe it - as a way of coping with guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Mulva posted:

That's the same exact motivation for both Hydaelyn and Zodiark. The only difference is that Hydaelyn's motivation was, intrinsically, more militant. Zodiark was purely based on protecting their world, and Hydaelyn was based on opposing Zodiark. This doesn't make her eviler or anything, but if the circumstances behind her summoning would lead her to be good than there's no reason Zodiark wouldn't be either.

And again, that's basically the exact same motivation as Zodiark. He was originally summoned by half the population selflessly giving up their lives to save the world and protect the rest. She's not special. There's plenty of 'Good' Primals, like Alexander who worked to defeat his own existence because it was a threat to reality. The nature of the wish that summoned him would have him as a perfectly rational and omni-competent force for protection, and if that meant the thing people needed to be protected from was him? So be it. Lightning Dad realizes the problems inherent in his existence too. Shiva is more like an avatar than a free-roaming Primal. There's nothing special about anything related to Hydaelyn except for the nature of the beings that summoned her.

As for the nature of tempering....We've never seen it done on someone as old and as powerful as him. It was done on Phoenix for a bit, and we saw that break, which is not something that generally known to be possible. Maybe after 10,000 years the nearly omnipotent demi-god just sort of wore down whatever compulsion it has a bit. Maybe he's just too sad and tired for it to matter to him anymore. Most of the people we see it happen to are fanatics who have just been tempered. We don't really know much about the process at all.

e: Black bars y'all.

Zodiark was summoned to act as the Will of the Star, to avert cataclysm and be the new god of the world. What that entailed, circumstances, etc. are not known to us and may or may not be expanded on in further patches. What is known is that he apparently wasn't against the "sacrifices the lesser races" plan, so I'm kind of skeptical about the idea of him being a force of good and protection and that if he was, it was probably limited to "but of our kind." Hydaelyn was made to oppose Zodiark because his MO at the time was to dine on the aether and souls of all the non-Amaurotines. I'm not sure what you'd need to think to not recognize one of these things as "bad" and one of these things as "good."

Edit: it might also just be there weren't "lesser" races until the sundering, and that the people the Amaurotines planned to sacrifice were outright all the Amaurotines who were born after Zodiark restored the world. After all, they were all immortal, and that's one of those things which might've influenced their social structure in interesting and horrifying ways. Why shouldn't these new beings give up their brief, unimportant lives to restore these other individuals, who have spent thousands of years showcasing their capability and working to improve things?

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 11, 2019