Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Setup: 2012 Mac Mini with 3x Western Digital external drives hooked up directly via USB 3 using the cables they came with.

Issue I'm getting is the transfer between two of those external drives really isn't all that fast at times, and downright slow at others. I set up a 100gb transfer and it looked like it would take about an hour or so, and I tend to see speeds around 30MB/sec between them, which already isn't particularly fast... now I'm about 3/4 the way through it's slowed to an absolute crawl, literally a MB or 2. Then after about 5-10 minutes it goes back up to the 'full' speed. Drives are all < 2 years old, what should I be looking at? One of the drives is the default download one, and I see speeds of 100MB/sec coming down the pipe to it, it only seems to be an issue when involving 2 of them.

I've got Activity Monitor open and the system isn't really doing anything else either across network or drives.

Download Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on the App Store and run some tests on all the drives. Chances are one of them is just slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have BlackMagic anyway and ran it again in case of changes...

2 drives hit around 150-170MB/sec on RW
the drive I'm copying to in this circumstance *is* slower, but still hitting around 100MB/sec on both RW.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is it all huge files like videos, or are you hitting a pocket of tiny files?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Yeah that’s the usual problem, hard drives are bad at small files. Particularly when connected via usb. It helps a lot if the USB-SATA bridge is UASP capable, but it still won’t be as good as a native SATA connection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the small file crap drives me up the wall when using FTP, always prefer to send a big tarball and unpack that end. In this case, everything is multiple GB so should flow nice and quickly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Before tinycrypt(whatever it was called) went away I found it really fast at putting small files into a volume on an external because the filesystem IO was layered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Thanks for the responses about USB hubs from before, guys.

I'm gonna be carrying an iPad Pro and 15" Macbook Pro together on the subway (basically daily); anyone in a similar situation have a bag they'd recommend? Also thoughts on messenger bags vs backpacks? I'm kind of hesitant to leave thousands of dollars of computer stuff out of sight on my back every day, but is that a needless worry? I'm new to having a subway commute so if any of you have experience with carrying your stuff like that I'd be really interested to hear about it (I'll be in New York). Wearing a backpack will definitely be easier on my shoulder.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

I'm gonna be carrying an iPad Pro and 15" Macbook Pro together on the subway (basically daily); anyone in a similar situation have a bag they'd recommend? Also thoughts on messenger bags vs backpacks? I'm kind of hesitant to leave thousands of dollars of computer stuff out of sight on my back every day, but is that a needless worry? I'm new to having a subway commute so if any of you have experience with carrying your stuff like that I'd be really interested to hear about it (I'll be in New York). Wearing a backpack will definitely be easier on my shoulder.

It’s a needless worry and your home or renter’s insurance should cover cover theft anyway.

I use a timbuk2 messenger because I have a weird back injury and find it way more comfortable, and less sweaty! But ymmv.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would be incredibly impressed by any thief who could lift a laptop out of a backpack without the wearer or a bystander noticing. That's some god-tier pickpocketing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It’s a needless worry and your home or renter’s insurance should cover cover theft anyway.

I use a timbuk2 messenger because I have a weird back injury and find it way more comfortable, and less sweaty! But ymmv.

I have the same and used it to carry both my 15" rMBP and my 12.9" iPad Pro. It doesn't get as much use anymore since I work from home now.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mercurius posted:

If it has Ethernet on the back of it (and firewire/mini-DisplayPort) then it's a Thunderbolt display as Cinema Displays only ever had 3 USB ports on them. Cinema Displays also have an extra USB cable sticking out of the cable with the MagSafe and mini-DP connector whereas Thunderbolt displays are just MagSafe/mini-DP.

I'm currently using an original Thunderbolt display at work and that only needs a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to make all of the integrated stuff in the monitor (webcam, speakers, USB, network, firewire) work out of the box. You'll still need to do power separately since it was provided over MagSafe.
Thanks for the reply. So Apple's cable is what I need. It's a Thunderbolt display. But I bought the recommended 3rd party to DP, and that's because I didn't follow BM's reply correctly, my bad.

Let me guess, there's some good reason for the adapter being expensive (still) - "active electronics." And yet a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is cheaper than a single freakin' adapter. I hope people in 50 years howl with laughter about how stupid we were. Or maybe in 5. I'd watch The Robber Barons of Cupertino on Netflix. Maybe Woz can produce.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Djimi posted:

Thanks for the reply. So Apple's cable is what I need. It's a Thunderbolt display. But I bought the recommended 3rd party to DP, and that's because I didn't follow BM's reply correctly, my bad.

Let me guess, there's some good reason for the adapter being expensive (still) - "active electronics." And yet a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is cheaper than a single freakin' adapter. I hope people in 50 years howl with laughter about how stupid we were. Or maybe in 5. I'd watch The Robber Barons of Cupertino on Netflix. Maybe Woz can produce.
Yeah, the Apple TB3->TB2 connector is all you need. I’ll take a photo of the setup I have at work when I get in tomorrow.

You can put far more blame on Intel than Apple for the prices of anything Thunderbolt related. I think they’ve been a bit better about it with TB3 but for previous generations there was an absurdly high licensing fee in addition to the extra circuitry required for Thunderbolt.

In case you’re wondering why the cable needs to be ‘smart’, Thunderbolt is essentially a protocol for external hot-pluggable PCIe connections whereas DisplayPort just does AV transmission.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Djimi posted:

Ironically enough, the Raspberry Pi foundation didn’t follow the USB C spec properly for the new released RPi 4, so higher quality USB C cables won’t even work with it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/20688655/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-port-bug-e-marked-cables-audio-accessory-charging

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Koramei posted:

Messenger bags are really bad for your shoulder over times. And you should take your rucksack off and put it between your legs when your on the train anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Where can I even buy one of those $10k gold Apple Watch Edition watches used for pennies on the dollar asking for a friend.

I can't tell if the ones I'm seeing in search are the real deal expensive ones or some other look alike version.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Where can I even buy one of those $10k gold Apple Watch Edition watches used for pennies on the dollar asking for a friend.

I can't tell if the ones I'm seeing in search are the real deal expensive ones or some other look alike version.

It was only the initial watch that had a 10K gold version. It no longer gets OS updates, and I think Apple was the only legit source.

I want to say the solid gold ones have their own serials for the body for authenticity, but I'm not 100%.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How long do battery services usually take for rMBPs? I'm assuming the stores don't stock the top cases so they have to be shipped to a repair depot.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Shaocaholica posted:

I mean, the gold itself has a substantial value, so there’s probably a floor to the resale prices.

e: actually it’s not that much, like $700-800 apparently

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 11, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lazyhound posted:

I mean, the gold itself has a substantial value, so there’s probably a floor to the resale prices.

e: actually it’s not that much, like $700-800 apparently

That's what I'm not sure if those $700 used gold watches are the same as the $10k ones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Splinter posted:

How long do battery services usually take for rMBPs? I'm assuming the stores don't stock the top cases so they have to be shipped to a repair depot.

I got mine back for keyboard repair in like 2 days

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splinter posted:

They ship the top case to the store is how it worked for mine. They give a lead time for pick-up of 7 days, they got mine done in 5. If they have it in stock it's a matter of hours.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Gay Retard posted:

Ironically enough, the Raspberry Pi foundation didn’t follow the USB C spec properly for the new released RPi 4, so higher quality USB C cables won’t even work with it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/20688655/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-port-bug-e-marked-cables-audio-accessory-charging

That is interesting. Get what you pay for, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It pretty much forces you to buy their $12 charger since no one knows what USB-C cable will work (but you know the most popular ones won’t).

I can’t imagine at no time in their design and engineering no one plugged in a non-compatible power cord and went, “huh?”

I’m still going to buy one the moment the 4gb ones at in stock at Microcenter.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Proteus Jones posted:

They ship the top case to the store is how it worked for mine. They give a lead time for pick-up of 7 days, they got mine done in 5. If they have it in stock it's a matter of hours.

Yeah they quoted me 7 today, but it does sound like they often get back them back faster than that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Setup: 2012 Mac Mini with 3x Western Digital external drives hooked up directly via USB 3 using the cables they came with.

Issue I'm getting is the transfer between two of those external drives really isn't all that fast at times, and downright slow at others. I set up a 100gb transfer and it looked like it would take about an hour or so, and I tend to see speeds around 30MB/sec between them, which already isn't particularly fast... now I'm about 3/4 the way through it's slowed to an absolute crawl, literally a MB or 2. Then after about 5-10 minutes it goes back up to the 'full' speed. Drives are all < 2 years old, what should I be looking at? One of the drives is the default download one, and I see speeds of 100MB/sec coming down the pipe to it, it only seems to be an issue when involving 2 of them.

I've got Activity Monitor open and the system isn't really doing anything else either across network or drives.
Look at the USB ports in System Information (formerly System Profiler). I bet the drives might be sharing a bus, which might explain the 30MB/s part at least. Not sure about the super slow parts though. Tried copying through other methods yet? (That’s assuming you’re just using the Finder here)

Koramei posted:

If you’re really paranoid about theft off your back, there’s theft deterrent designs nowadays where the zippers are hidden against your back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Look at the USB ports in System Information (formerly System Profiler). I bet the drives might be sharing a bus, which might explain the 30MB/s part at least. Not sure about the super slow parts though. Tried copying through other methods yet? (That’s assuming you’re just using the Finder here)

USB 3.0 Bus
|- easystore 25b
|- easystore 25b
|- easystore 25b

Then under this is a powered USB 3 hub I have with nothing much hanging off it - my UPS for communication, a mouse/flashdrives etc sometimes but not right now.

(sorry working remotely so easier to type out!)

Is there anything I need to check in the breakdown? I can transfer between the other drives quickly, but my current source -> destination drives are just constantly on the slow side. It's not the end of the world, I'm just transferring a ton of crap in chunks at the moment and in a week or two it won't be something I need to do regularly, more curiosity. Yeah I was considering trying to do a folder or two with Carbon Copy Cloner and seeing if thats the same, as I am just using Finder right now).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So the inevitable iFixit teardown of the new 13-inch rMBP is out:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Two+Thunderbolt+Ports+2019+Teardown/124676

Basically the Function Key rMBP is no more, long live the rMBP. iFixit says it's got this one module that combines TouchID and the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.

Here's your first indication Jony didn't design this- the machine just got EASIER to service. It seemed like he didn't give two fucks about servicing (the 12-inch rMB's being an indication of this as it's one of the most cumbersome machines to ever work on... flip the machine three times in a special stand meant to let you work while surrounded by gossamer ribbon cables where one false move will have you ordering replacement parts for nearly the whole machine, and using microscopic screws at the limit of human capabilities to see and manipulate..)

And here's some Johnathan Morrison guy gushing over how well the 13-inch rMBP 2019 performs in Final Cut/Compressor using HEVC and regular MP4, noted that the HEVC is only 8-bit but it seems to run super fast because of the T2 copprocessor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUTnLr8jBqg

If more people use the T2 coprocessor for things it ought to be doing the 2019 13-inch could wind up being quite the workhorse.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 12, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So... next year we might have one worth buying.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Splinter posted:

Yeah they quoted me 7 today, but it does sound like they often get back them back faster than that.

The fact that this is now normal and acceptable for replacing a loving battery is infuriating.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

It seemed like he didn't give two fucks about servicing (the 12-inch rMB's being an indication of this as it's one of the most cumbersome machines to ever work on... flip the machine three times in a special stand meant to let you work while surrounded by gossamer ribbon cables where one false move will have you ordering replacement parts for nearly the whole machine, and using microscopic screws at the limit of human capabilities to see and manipulate..)

I've always told people that 'modern' Macbooks are disposable consumables. When its broken you just throw it into the trash and get a new one. Let the poors dumpster dive it, fix it and use it in their slums like those district 9 aliens.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

I've always told people that 'modern' Macbooks are disposable consumables. When its broken you just throw it into the trash and get a new one. Let the poors dumpster dive it, fix it and use it in their slums like those district 9 aliens.

On the plus side they last a long time. The batteries are a bit annoying, but I guess you just budget in a replacement about midway through your 5 or 6 year expected lifecycle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol if you can't afford a new $3000 laptop every 3 years.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got a touchbar MBP from work and remapped capslock to ESC and I’m loving up so much.

Update on my personal MBP: they indeed swapped out some keycaps.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Krispy Wafer posted:

On the plus side they last a long time.
Maybe if you don't care about typing on them, sure.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Why would you throw away any Apple laptop when even non-functioning 5+ year-old MacBook Airs go for $300-$400 on eBay?

You don't throw away laptops with the highest resale value on the market.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

Why would you throw away any Apple laptop when even non-functioning 5+ year-old MacBook Airs go for $300-$400 on eBay?

You don't throw away laptops with the highest resale value on the market.

He just joking man

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

On the plus side they last a long time. The batteries are a bit annoying, but I guess you just budget in a replacement about midway through your 5 or 6 year expected lifecycle.

Even a replacement battery isn’t that much of an expense over the lifetime of the computer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol if you can't afford a new $3000 laptop every 3 years.

Or be smarter and either sell it off on eBay, any of the dozens of used Mac retailers, or (last resort) trade in the old one to Apple and get a fairly miserable but at least a chunk of money off.

Used Apple's page and they said they'd give me a whopping $260 if I handed in my old Late 2013 rMBP towards a new 13-inch entry level rMBP. Better than nothing I suppose.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bring back the black MacBooks you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Bring back the black MacBooks you cowards