Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sleeveless posted:

Serious question, what is the appeal of fountain pens over ballpoint pens for just basic stuff like taking notes? Like I get how for like specific calligraphy or art projects it could be useful as a special tool but otherwise it seems like the office supply version of being the kid who wears a suit and carries a briefcase in high school.

I just liked how they felt to write with, in terms of the friction/movement on the page, and I like the slightly variable stroke. Purely aesthetic/indulgent.

E: if I'd known I was sniping I'd have done something more elaborate with "slightly variable stroke"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So is it true what they say about how cutting sandpaper will sharpen your scissors?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing anyone uses a pen for these days is signatures, and fountain pens make signatures look better.

Ergo, everyone should use fountain pens.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I literally write for a living and I'd never do it with anything other than a box of bics and a $0.99 notebook. What's the point of anything more?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Does BUDK sell any tactical tick removal tools? Something which can kill a zombie, dig a hole (maybe? I dunno) but also remove ticks. Bonus if it comes with a tactical light.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Evidently goat hooves, too, according to the reviews... drat, I'll never own any goats but now I'm hella tempted to buy a pair just so I can brag AND HOOVES!!! whenever I cut the sales tag off new clothes.
Checked the reviews and sure enough you're right, folks are using them for goat hooves. Well that was unexpected.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

These look great and I don't know why I never thought of using snips.
I forget exactly why I bought them initially but they've been fantastic and have replaced regular scissors for me. I think you can even get them at WalMart in the craft section.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

hemale in pain posted:

Does BUDK sell any tactical tick removal tools? Something which can kill a zombie, dig a hole (maybe? I dunno) but also remove ticks. Bonus if it comes with a tactical light.

EorayMel posted:

You've seen the tactical scissors, but are you ready to buy the tactical TWEEZERS?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I might be gullible or whatever, but it seems like that might actually be kind of handy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I literally write for a living and I'd never do it with anything other than a box of bics and a $0.99 notebook. What's the point of anything more?

If you’re doing massive amounts of writing or you’re in a situation where pens could get lost or damaged, an expensive pen is an unnecessary indulgence. If you can afford to, why not? It’s like asking why anyone bothers cooking when frozen food exists and works just fine.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

If you’re doing massive amounts of writing or you’re in a situation where pens could get lost or damaged, an expensive pen is an unnecessary indulgence. If you can afford to, why not? It’s like asking why anyone bothers cooking when frozen food exists and works just fine.

Yeah because that's a terrible comparison. It's more like asking why anyone would bother paying hundreds of dollars for a set of Cutco knives when you can get a single decent chef's knife that does the job better for a fraction of the cost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cormorant posted:

So is it true what they say about how cutting sandpaper will sharpen your scissors?

Uhgh it was cutting aluminium foil that would sharpen your scissors?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’d guess that expensive pens meet diminishing returns way lower on the price scale than chefs knives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I’d guess that expensive pens meet diminishing returns way lower on the price scale than chefs knives.

A sharp knife is a sharp knife but pen-enthusiasts completely delude themselves and ignore the nine out of ten times they get a pen and it WRITES FOR poo poo because "oh I need to treat this point in [x] ways" whereas normal, sane people just use a biro that will work 11 times out of 10 without problem, because quite frankly biros are not a scam and literally 100% of fountain pens are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

A sharp knife is a sharp knife but pen-enthusiasts completely delude themselves and ignore the nine out of ten times they get a pen and it WRITES FOR poo poo because "oh I need to treat this point in [x] ways" whereas normal, sane people just use a biro that will work 11 times out of 10 without problem, because quite frankly biros are not a scam and literally 100% of fountain pens are.

How expensive do you think fountain pens are? Because mine costs like $15 and uses replaceable cartridges. It's not like owning a fountain pen means you have to spend $400 on something exactly the same as a Biro.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

How expensive do you think fountain pens are? Because mine costs like $15 and uses replaceable cartridges. It's not like owning a fountain pen means you have to spend $400 on something exactly the same as a Biro.

I use a Staedtler Stick 430 M that I bought for around 9 FIM back in 1998 and it was without a cap for two decades and still works just fine :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean that's like a 15000 times markup to a normal pen. That makes cutcos 2-4x markup look pretty affordable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zedprime posted:

I mean that's like a 15000 times markup to a normal pen. That makes cutcos 2-4x markup look pretty affordable.

Not everyone makes every decision in life by doing a cost-benefit analysis to maximize their savings down to the penny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but a lot of people choose the objectively 100% better tech that also happens to be about 40 000 times cheaper and it's never a fountain pen, a Mac, the United States of America, or liberalism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you dont use single ply toilet paper

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

lol if you dont use single ply toilet paper

They don't even sell single-ply here.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just do a handstand in the shower like an adult

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

gently caress I forgot about those

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thought of this thread when I flicked open a simple 2.5 inch folding knife at my office to open a package from the vending machine in a mostly empty lunchroom and the maintenance guy says to me "don't let security see you with that!"

"What, this little folding knife?"

"Yeah, we had to get special permission for one of my guys to have even a leatherman!"

I was a little bewildered because to me it's just a normal rear end cutting tool, not some multikill blood channel serrated skull pummeled ninja butterfly ballistic knife or something. Like our "no weapons" sign shows a crossed out 1911, to me that's a weapon, not something akin to what my Dad carried in his pocket to trim loose threads and cut dead skin off his toes.

Weird how nowadays carrying a little cutting tool elicits the same response as brandashing a fuckin' katana. Sad times if you ask me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thought of this thread when I flicked open a simple 2.5 inch folding knife at my office to open a package from the vending machine in a mostly empty lunchroom and the maintenance guy says to me "don't let security see you with that!"

"What, this little folding knife?"

"Yeah, we had to get special permission for one of my guys to have even a leatherman!"

I was a little bewildered because to me it's just a normal rear end cutting tool, not some multikill blood channel serrated skull pummeled ninja butterfly ballistic knife or something. Like our "no weapons" sign shows a crossed out 1911, to me that's a weapon, not something akin to what my Dad carried in his pocket to trim loose threads and cut dead skin off his toes.

Weird how nowadays carrying a little cutting tool elicits the same response as brandashing a fuckin' katana. Sad times if you ask me.

If you were in Britain they might actually arrest you for that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it would be small enough. Unless it's some serrated nonsense of no practical purpose.

Unless you're a kid. Or you (threaten to) stab someone with it. Then you magically have no possible justification for carrying a knife on your person.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't think I've ever needed a knife to open something from a vending machine. That said, I haven't eaten anything that came from a vending machine in a long time, so maybe such things are harder to open now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm guessing some people just like to collect things and use them even though they may not be good at it. :shrug:

edit: regarding pen chat... which is a big BUDK derail unless it's a tactical pen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They are these clamshell plastic things around samwiches and stuff they tape closed with a full wrap around strip, then secured under the product labels. Like you certainly can remove it by hand peeling all the poo poo off, but it's easier just making one slice.

Didn't some like MP dude or someone in the UK earnestly suggest equipping every kitchen knife with a police-accessible lojack that would light up at dispatch or whatever if you took it out of your flat? Lol

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

goatface posted:

Nah, it would be small enough. Unless it's some serrated nonsense of no practical purpose.

Unless you're a kid. Or you (threaten to) stab someone with it. Then you magically have no possible justification for carrying a knife on your person.

https://twitter.com/mpsregentspark/status/974645778558980096?s=21

*ahem*

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
lol, some of the comments are great.

https://twitter.com/RennaW/status/983389835242196992

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Plierscrime Island” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would probably be the "is a kid" clause.

Or the universal crime of "incorrect ethnicity in front of a police officer".

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Don't let these idiots get you down, I'm right there with you. I see these morons in the office all day wearing their expensive button down shirts and tailored slacks and I laugh in their stupid faces. I buy a pack of shirts from Walmart every few years and that covers my shame just as well, if not better than, those foolish indulgences do and at 15000th of the cost! Like seriously, you fuckin sheep, what's the point of anything more than the bare loving minimum in this time on the dumb, gay earth?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
That whole Twitter is hilarious. Oooh, eight nickel bags of lovely brick weed. I'll sleep better at night now!

Also the wide range of BudK weapons with "undoubtedly a life saved!"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
A few ads from a 1982 issue of Soldier of Fortune:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Owlbear Camus posted:

They are these clamshell plastic things around samwiches and stuff they tape closed with a full wrap around strip, then secured under the product labels. Like you certainly can remove it by hand peeling all the poo poo off, but it's easier just making one slice.

Didn't some like MP dude or someone in the UK earnestly suggest equipping every kitchen knife with a police-accessible lojack that would light up at dispatch or whatever if you took it out of your flat? Lol

I think I know what you're talking about, those triangle shaped packaged sandwiches. Yeah, I could see how slicing through the top wrap is easier than worrying the edges with your fingers until you peel off a big enough piece. Either that, or those subs that are mummy-wrapped.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I would buy the shirt on the right.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

"Breed my wife, please!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:thunk: