Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

trilljester posted:

Anyone experiencing weirdness with YouTube? I've got a video playing in a tab and if I click on another tab and then go back to the YouTube tab, it pauses and reloads the video. Granted, I don't lose my position in the video but it's annoying. I'm on FF 67.0.4.

I've been experiencing this for a while as well. Maybe it's some bandwidth/power saving feature where only the audio is streamed if it's not the current tab, so when you refocus it has to load up the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I get that video reload thing only when the tab has been inactive for a long time. But I've only got 67.0.4 just now, it didn't happen on a deliberate try but I'll see if it happens later. I too lost my local settings, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Perhaps my fiddlings in about:config have been reset too, hard to tell haha. Worth re-checking your privacy settings, there's various software where these tend to get mysteriously re-enabled whenever there's a big update.

And maybe it's just placebo or something else, but it feels like the pages are rendering prettier somehow. Sharper, more contrast.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm having a weird issue with Firefox. It will just randomly freeze for a few moments, sometimes freezing my entire PC. I've uninstalled\reinstalled, reset the profile, removed all addons, disabled hardware acceleration. Win10 1803 if it helps. I'm just kind of at a loss. It happens on multiple PCs for me so I imagine it's a default setting?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Firefox no longer loads userChrome.css or userContent.css by default. Users who wish to customize Firefox by using these files can set the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference to true to restore this ability.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/69.0beta/releasenotes/

Starting with Firefox 69, currently in beta.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ola posted:

I get that video reload thing only when the tab has been inactive for a long time. But I've only got 67.0.4 just now, it didn't happen on a deliberate try but I'll see if it happens later.

When the issue is present, it usually doesn't take more than 30s unfocused for the video to reload on refocus.

What's strange is that I've only experienced it on my laptop and never my desktop, which is why I thought it might be some resource usage reduction.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Youtube, is it Youtube itself or something with the browser that causes the video to suddenly go to the lowest quality setting when you skip through it? I don't know if it's a Firefox issue but it's the only browser I'm getting it on. It seems to happen mostly on long videos (2 hours+)

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Don't most video players have their default quality set as "auto", so when you are skipping through, you're resetting that buffer it had and so youtube lowers the quality to prevent the video from stopping.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They do yeah, but it happens even when I manually set the quality, which I have to do anyway every time the video gets set to the lowest quality setting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox no longer loads userChrome.css or userContent.css by default. Users who wish to customize Firefox by using these files can set the toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets preference to true to restore this ability.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/69.0beta/releasenotes/

Starting with Firefox 69, currently in beta.

Thanks for the heads-up on that, I just added that to my config in advance.

Looking at the history of this change, it's actually a good and reasonable result. Tl;dr they started with just removing userContent and leaving userChrome alone for the UI customization, but then thunderbird and other users made the case that they needed it. So it's now a pref for both chrome and content, and this isn't a prelude to axing it entirely.

Stare-Out posted:

They do yeah, but it happens even when I manually set the quality, which I have to do anyway every time the video gets set to the lowest quality setting.

I think they do it for bandwidth conservation. Every time you skip it has to re-buffer and on long HD videos that adds up.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Klyith posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on that, I just added that to my config in advance.

As long as you install 68 before 69, the pref will automatically get set if you have either file in your profile folder: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1550157

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Klyith posted:

I think they do it for bandwidth conservation. Every time you skip it has to re-buffer and on long HD videos that adds up.

I guess that's true. I was hoping it was some obscure bandwidth-related Firefox setting but it's no surprise it's on Youtube's side. Still, it's a pain to have to re-set the quality every time I seek through the video.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think a lot of streaming providers have optimizations which can have that kind of effect. Some video players hate when I skip around, they'll just sit and spin forever and never start streaming again. Spotify hates when I skip through a song to quickly check it out, two or three skips and it stops buffering. It breaks something along the way, hard to say what, as the chain of API steps is probably very long and complicated. Delivering lowest quality first when there's been some upset probably saves them tons of bandwidth/connection count on decaying connections.

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 10, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use Enhancer for Youtube to force settings like quality and to disable annotations and such. This is partly because I whitelist cookies and YouTube isn’t on the whitelist, and I was tired of setting all that stuff. Works pretty good for that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Firefox's new Add-ons Manager sure is looking good nowadays...

EDIT: Relevant

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 10, 2019

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

Firefox's new Add-ons Manager sure is looking good nowadays...

EDIT: Relevant

Yeah, it's bad. It took me like 30 seconds to figure out how to disable a single add on the first time. Every change they've made to the add ons page, going back to when the first hid the version number, have been not to my liking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xamphear posted:

It took me like 30 seconds to figure out how to disable a single add on the first time.

That's really not excusable on your end, it's very obvious.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Dave posted:

That's really not excusable on your end, it's very obvious.

Okay, thank you.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

The Dave posted:

it's very obvious.

No it's loving not, managing add-ons now feels extremely confusing to the point, where you spend a lot of time just pressing random stuff, and hover over everything to see all the tool-tips, just to find where you should go to change one option.

Also imagine putting "Options" and "More Options" in the same menu and thinking this is good UI design.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
At least they seem to be aware of the feedback:

https://twitter.com/caitmuenster/status/1149086598199312385

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I guess all it takes to get Mozilla to bend is to reach the top of reddit where even the Stockholm Syndrome users can't even pan the fire out. Funny because Moz was locking criticism about this very issue over on their Bugzilla site and labeling it as WontFix.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

xamphear posted:

Firefox: representing usability regression since 2004.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Im_Special posted:

Moz was locking criticism about this very issue over on their Bugzilla site and labeling it as WontFix.
Gasp! They dont want to hear dumb users comment on their Brilliant Product Management?!

Aside from the (past) google funded years driving the previously successful trajectory into the ground, I cant even imagine what the gently caress is being discussed in product meetings now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is the flag to launch Firefox in a Private Window now? Within like the past 3-4 version updates "-private-window" doesn't seem to work anymore.

I've got Visual Studio configured to debug with FF like so:

And yea it just opens a regular window now

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
:confused: Works fine for me when using this setup (Win 10, VS 2017, Firefox 68):

Though it looks like your system is older. Maybe it's broken in 32bit builds? Seems kinda strange though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Win 7 / VS2013 but like I said it was working up until just very recently. Probably like FF v66 or v67? :shrug:

I only started posting in this thread a month ago yesterday and it was definitely working at least then :v:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Is there a reasonable explanation for why Firefox on Windows keeps erasing all of my preferences and extension settings? It seems like every few weeks all of my browser settings go back to their defaults, my uMatrix rules are erased, and all of my Tampermonkey scripts get deleted. This doesn't happen on my MacBook, and both computers are signed in to my Firefox Sync account.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sab669 posted:

Win 7 / VS2013 but like I said it was working up until just very recently. Probably like FF v66 or v67? :shrug:

I only started posting in this thread a month ago yesterday and it was definitely working at least then :v:

Same answer you’ll get from anyone sane, but why don’t you upgrade to VS2019 & Windows 10? They’re 1000x better.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

wooger posted:

Same answer you’ll get from anyone sane, but why don’t you upgrade to VS2019 & Windows 10? They’re 1000x better.

Because work computer / not my decision :v:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

i vomit kittens posted:

Is there a reasonable explanation for why Firefox on Windows keeps erasing all of my preferences and extension settings? It seems like every few weeks all of my browser settings go back to their defaults, my uMatrix rules are erased, and all of my Tampermonkey scripts get deleted. This doesn't happen on my MacBook, and both computers are signed in to my Firefox Sync account.

Try verifying your database integrity? There's a header "Places Database" a ways down in about :support with a button to verify integrity. It should also fix issues it encounters, unless it's hosed too hard. At which point it might just be easier to create a whole new profile.

Other than that, I got nothing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When is the new logo meant to land for the browser?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When is the new logo meant to land for the browser?

unannounced, so far they've just "revealed the new branding"

i vomit kittens posted:

Someone else was having that just a few pages ago. Copy of your firefox shortcut and add -p to the target line for the profile viewer. It's probably creating multiple profiles and sync is the only reason it's not apparent.

I don't know why, but they did something to their profile system so it's got a hair trigger for ignoring an existing profile and just making a new one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Cool, the latest version of Firefox broke hitting del to remove urlbar dropdown entries. Now you have to go through the history sidebar. :pwn:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Geemer posted:

Cool, the latest version of Firefox broke hitting del to remove urlbar dropdown entries. Now you have to go through the history sidebar. :pwn:

Try shift+delete

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

xamphear posted:

Wontfix!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

More won't fix.

EDIT:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 19, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Im_Special posted:

I guess all it takes to get Mozilla to bend is to reach the top of reddit where even the Stockholm Syndrome users can't even pan the fire out. Funny because Moz was locking criticism about this very issue over on their Bugzilla site and labeling it as WontFix.

The only way of getting any company to respond to feedback for over a decade has been humiliating them on social media

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Winning!

quote:

As a dev, I can tell you that the vast majority of managers care nothing about current users and design products 100% for people who do not use the product, believing that this is the only way to grow the userbase. So they look at their competitors and copy their features. It's a terrible mistake that very rarely attracts any new users (who already have a product they like and don't want an imitation), but often very successfully loses existing users to the competition, who no longer like the current product.

Real estate is expensive. Better not use too much.

https://i.imgur.com/MQVzFRU.png

Heres one of their geniuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGuElYZZzQ

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there an easy way to use the old version of twitter again?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Jippa posted:

Is there an easy way to use the old version of twitter again?

Changing your user agent to an older version of IE is what works apparently, I don't have the new Twit so I haven't tried that myself though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Applebees posted:

Try shift+delete

Thank you so much, that was driving me up the walls.

I love it when Mozilla decides to suddenly change the way things work without telling me what the new way is! :suicide: