Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Being able to fold space and time with your mind is a pretty impressive power so why would old Frank insist navigators have limited powers? Why would he write their role is to chart a safe course through space and time?

I don't know it's just the way I understood it from reading the books as it's a common sci-fi theme that you need some serious computer power for calculating fast/far space travel courses
I'm pretty sure the ships fold space and time. But flying faster than the speed of light means it's really hard to navigate, so seeing the future is the only way to see where you're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm pretty sure the ships fold space and time. But flying faster than the speed of light means it's really hard to navigate, so seeing the future is the only way to see where you're going.

right, they use prescience to analyze their future travel route to make sure they aren't going to drive right smack into the side of an asteroid.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Being able to fold space and time with your mind is a pretty impressive power so why would old Frank insist navigators have limited powers? Why would he write their role is to chart a safe course through space and time?

I don't know it's just the way I understood it from reading the books as it's a common sci-fi theme that you need some serious computer power for calculating fast/far space travel courses

They are math obsessed drug nerds that swam in so much LSD that they can now 'envision' the safe transport of a Holtzman device and it's surrounding material during the process of folding space, either bringing it to be in some other part of empty space or by loving up and accidentally colliding everything with a star of some other kind of gently caress you up astral phenomenon.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Infinite Karma posted:

That's exactly my point. I don't know it's just the tweet was worded in a way that seems to imply the navigator is an inherent part of the engine

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1148682386244349953

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That's exactly my point. I don't know it's just the tweet was worded in a way that seems to imply the navigator is an inherent part of the engine

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/1148682386244349953

What's your point? That @duneauthor is a loving idiot?

Yes. Yes he is.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Yeah, the steersmen being magical is duneauthor crap. Your initial understanding that prescience is just used to avoid obstacles is the right one.

That's part of why his son's books are so cringey. He'd probably have you believe it's all retconned but it seems more likely that he just didn't pay close attention to the source material before he and his buddy churned out a bunch of "lore" in the paperback-mill. I even seem to recall him and KJH saying there was no animal life on Arrakis (except sandworms), which of course is thick as a brick.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

phasmid posted:

I even seem to recall him and KJH saying there was no animal life on Arrakis (except sandworms)
wait, what
then what the gently caress is a muad'dib

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's a lot like Bethesda getting the Fallout games. To the Failson, Dune is just a collection of aesthetics and words. The structure of the narrative and why things were made in a certain way aren't important, you just want people to go "oh, sandworms, I've heard of those!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

To the Failson, Dune is just a collection of aesthetics and words.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

wait, what

Knowing the ghostwriter, a popular soft drink.

Defiance Industries posted:

It's a lot like Bethesda getting the Fallout games. To the Failson, Dune is just a collection of aesthetics and words. The structure of the narrative and why things were made in a certain way aren't important, you just want people to go "oh, sandworms, I've heard of those!"

That's my feeling too. He's just a guy trying to sell Mickey Mouse hats and if people think he's a talented writer too, bonus!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
So your dead father spins in his tomb
As you claim there's no wildlife on Dune
And you make Steersmen magical goons
Which is

phasmid posted:

thick as a brick.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

phasmid posted:

I even seem to recall him and KJH saying there was no animal life on Arrakis (except sandworms), which of course is thick as a brick.

Isn't the retcon here that animal life was introduced when it was colonized? Either way it's dumb as hell.

Also, is the thing about the bull that killed the Old Duke being like... a cyborg bull, is that really something failson wrote?

Lord Awkward posted:

So your dead father spins in his tomb
As you claim there's no wildlife on Dune
And you make Steersmen magical goons
Which is

(thick as a brick)

As a huge Tull fan I want you to know I really appreciate this.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
gently caress yeah, love me some Jethro Tull.

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, is the thing about the bull that killed the Old Duke being like... a cyborg bull, is that really something failson wrote?

Yeah, that got discussed in the thread at some point. I didn't read much of the son's work but it made sense from all the other stuff they crammed in. Still love that someone from this thread was able to change the Wiki and make LORD CYBERTREX 9K part of the official canon. :patriot:

e. vv It's just a shadow on the moon, a la the Lynch movie.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

phasmid posted:

Yeah, the steersmen being magical is duneauthor crap. Your initial understanding that prescience is just used to avoid obstacles is the right one.

That's part of why his son's books are so cringey. He'd probably have you believe it's all retconned but it seems more likely that he just didn't pay close attention to the source material before he and his buddy churned out a bunch of "lore" in the paperback-mill. I even seem to recall him and KJH saying there was no animal life on Arrakis (except sandworms), which of course is thick as a brick.

How do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

is that really something failson wrote?
Not really, but his description of the bull is just as absurd considering that from the one given in the original Dune, the head was that of a normal bull.

Expanded Universe wiki article posted:

Salusan bulls are bovine animals native to Salusa Secundus. Their backs are covered with spines, their heads are black studded with multiple horns, and have faceted eyes. They have two separated brains.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That's worse somehow.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

wait, what

what the gently caress indeed! there are many reasons why people do not like @duneauthor. you have showcased but one of them. he just doesn't give a poo poo.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I picked up a copy of The Dragon in the Sea at the local used book store, is it any good? there’s not enough nautical sf in the world imo

only other non dune Herbert I’ve read is the Green Brain and I enjoyed that

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Father!

The @duneauthor has awakened!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hellstrom’s Hive is fun

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

Hellstrom’s Hive is fun

in which you can discover an extremely nasty version of the Axolotl tank concept.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > [Dune Thread] [Thread about Frank Herbert's Dune] [No @Duneauthor Zone]

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

free hubcaps posted:

I picked up a copy of The Dragon in the Sea at the local used book store, is it any good? there’s not enough nautical sf in the world imo

I remember liking it well enough. It's a competent thriller, in that I remember it being full of tension and twists and turns, but can't remember anything specific about the plot or characters. There's one image from near the end that's stayed with me for 10 or 15 years:

One character is dying of radiation poisoning, and to try to save him they're pumping all his blood out and filtering or replacing it, then pumping it back in to him. Over and over. Or something like that. I can't remember if he makes it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Temaukel posted:

wait, what

Or those donkeys they stuff into stillsuits

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Old Frank has never been off Tleilax. He did have himself a Caladan whore once, but he's pretty sure he saw the day shift pull her out of a tank the week before. But whatever, she was worth the fifty solari he paid and it makes for a good story to tell the new hires.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm recovering from surgery and I'm passing the time by re-reading D U N E.

Usul is about to call a big one!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

phasmid posted:

gently caress yeah, love me some Jethro Tull.

Yeah, that got discussed in the thread at some point. I didn't read much of the son's work but it made sense from all the other stuff they crammed in. Still love that someone from this thread was able to change the Wiki and make LORD CYBERTREX 9K part of the official canon. :patriot:

e. vv It's just a shadow on the moon, a la the Lynch movie.

Sadly much of the LORD CYBERTREX 8000 page has been graffitied again, but some remenants of the original section remain.

There also appears to be new Duke listed in the House Atreides section too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They presumably used computers to navigate their ships before the Butlerian prohibitions. Afterwards they presumably fumble-hosed around and the Navigators took over. I assume they also worked better than the old computers did, or else the Ixians would have probably not taken thousands of years to figure it out.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Just want to say that I got my Folio Society edition of Dune and it is beautiful beyond measure.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zeniel posted:

Sadly much of the LORD CYBERTREX 8000 page has been graffitied again, but some remenants of the original section remain.

There also appears to be new Duke listed in the House Atreides section too.

Thank you for your fastidious curatorship. The vandals just want to besmirch the Dune EU for some crazy reason :confused:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pictured: LORD CYBER T REX

lol just kidding that thing is way loving cooler than anything @duneauthor ever came up with

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Super Waffle posted:

Just want to say that I got my Folio Society edition of Dune and it is beautiful beyond measure.

Welcome to an elite club my friend

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Infinite Karma posted:

Isn't that what the Navigators are in the books? Super computers in an era where machines aren't allowed that can do those calculations?

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

Isn't that what the Navigators are in the books? Super computers in an era where machines aren't allowed that can do those calculations?

It's more that they can see where they'll end up after folding space. If they're going to fold into a star or a planet, they'll choose another path. That's my understanding at least.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
IIRC the books refer to "translight speeds". I forget if foldspace was involved or if it was just the movie. It should be one or the other but so far I don't think the thread has reached a conclusion and I have more confidence in the people here than the Dune wiki.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dune itself mentions absolutely gently caress all about how the mechanics of Guild ships work, and indeed deliberately glosses right over them — you never see the characters travel in space at all; in one chapter the Atreides are on Caladan and in the next they’re on Arrakis. Messiah, Children, and God Emperor all mention exactly once that Guildsmen take spice in order to steer a ship at translight speeds so called, but how the ship does that isn’t clear — the emphasis is on the Guildsman prescience making it safe to do so. The idea of “folding space” then suddenly pops up in Heretics — that’s the same year as the phrase pops up in Lynch Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Is this available in the states?

Edit; nvm dumb question

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 12, 2019

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat
RIP Thufir Hawat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48940202

Edit: Apparently this was a couple of days ago and I missed it. rip anyway.

ZX Speculum fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 12, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ZX Speculum posted:

RIP Thufir Hawat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48940202

Edit: Apparently this was a couple of days ago and I missed it. rip anyway.

RIP torn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Something just struck me while flipping through the last chapter of Dune, is Paul supposed to have his dick out for the whole duel with Feyd and the climax and everything? Right before they get to fighting he takes off his stillsuit and I feel like any underclothing you would wear with one of those would need to be crotchless