Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Bakarina: https://mangadex.org/chapter/655815/1

That's weird, the way I remember it in the WN it was Mary who was her friend from her previous life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Sindai posted:

That's weird, the way I remember it in the WN it was Mary who was her friend from her previous life.

I'm pretty sure albino girl was the friend in the previous life

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jackard posted:

But the part I bolded was unusual for these stories. Her family was portrayed as irredeemable so she poisoned them all as a child and became heir to the house. That's not something you see often.

Eh, kind of her. Motive and the way the story proceeds is certainly distinct to a degree, but reduce it to the basics of killing her own family to spare herself in the future and it could easily be taken down a darker route. It's following up that bit with a story that takes its time to follow her growing up and not being a genius isekai character that really makes Eliza what it is. Hell, by the time she gets to the part that is supposed to be depicted in the otome game, her knowledge from the game is already a bit derailed. Her isekai status is minimal at best.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm not sure I'm that fond of the twist in the latest Bakarina
It kind of cheapens the relationships she's built up, in my opinion. I'd personally rather the "reincarnation" thing was just an easy reason for Katarina to be a bit odd and have things progress from there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

It's a whole Doki Doki roundtable!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sindai posted:

Nicole and his sister have always just felt entirely extraneous. After their intro chapter I don't even think either of them had lines again until now, where most of the rest of the supporting cast at least gets some spotlight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
some extras for Welcome to Japan, Elf-san!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Faraway Paladin
Menel is a fine fellow.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
The Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess is adorable. The contract princess is cute, and the Duchess is very cool (also her fashion sense is amazing) as is her entire family. The whole found family theme is very heartwarming.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Wrong way to use Healing Magic and I like how the more Usato becomes like Rose in personality the further away from humanity he moves.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Katreus posted:

The Monster Duchess and the Contract Princess is adorable. The contract princess is cute, and the Duchess is very cool (also her fashion sense is amazing) as is her entire family. The whole found family theme is very heartwarming.

Pro recommendation, enjoying this one so far. It’s mostly serious but the little side jokes are funny: I laughed at loud at the chef appreciating being complimented. I feel obliged to point out it has nothing to do with isekai though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the contrast of how everyone in that family is ridiculously large and then there's this tiny runt of a girl

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Gensou Gourmet
A businessman gets isekaied and uses his job experience and knowledge as a consultant for a noble house to great success.
The story actually takes place after all that garbage and it's mostly about him using his wealth to travel around and eat fantasy delicacies.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Brought To You By posted:

New Wrong way to use Healing Magic and I like how the more Usato becomes like Rose in personality the further away from humanity he moves.

Ah, they're one of the ones that threw a fit about Mangadex? That sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new slime isekai

welp, looks like rimuru is about to go SSJ (super saiyajelly)

and maybe Best Girl has a chance after all.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

new slime isekai

welp, looks like rimuru is about to go SSJ (super saiyajelly)

and maybe Best Girl has a chance after all.

Beat me to it.

Next part can be best summed up by this gif.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was it you who said they were considering making it a biweekly series due to the insane popularity? I swear I saw someone post about it in this thread.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I finally got around to reading Bakarina, and god it's so good.

Even though I normally despise the trope, the whole angle of Katarina worrying about what routes everyone is taking/her destruction flags while being too dense to notice that literally her entire social circle is madly in love with her is great.

I do have the unfortunate coincidence of starting to read it as the series is in a major cliffhanger about Katarina/the evil dark magic council president/fate of adorable former main heroine-chan :negative:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Was it you who said they were considering making it a biweekly series due to the insane popularity? I swear I saw someone post about it in this thread.

Possibly. I had read something to that effect from our source guy on Reddit. I'm not really sure though how everything will play out. The series does have some amazingly comfy spinoffs detailing day to day life in Tempest(Slime Diaries), three outsider monsters inspecting the country for their respective leaders(Trinity), and the spoiler filled one about a Bunny girl making a brochure(Walking the Country of Monsters). There was a post some time ago when Isekai Quartet ended saying that from a poll the most requested additions to isekai Quartet were Slime and NGNL.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I am fairly confident that Bakarina is unlikely to kill off any of the main characters

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Personally not a fan of that copout at the end, or that it all happened offscreen.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 10, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hmm, I wonder if the second most marketable character in Slime is going to stay dead...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

Personally not a fan of that copout at the end, or that it all happened offscreen.

What happened off screen?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

Hmm, I wonder if the second most marketable character in Slime is going to stay dead...

They killed pupper???

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

3rd

According to a fan survey she was 3rd behind Shuna at 2nd and Rimuru as 1st.

Captain Invictus posted:

They killed pupper???

Uber Puppet was 11th with Geld at 10th(Slime Diaries helps this male more sense ditto for LN).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

What happened off screen?
Uhh the entire fight after the barriers went up? I'm guessing it's supposed to shock the reader like it did Rimuru, well until the copout anyways.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 11, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

Uhh the entire fight after the barriers went up? I'm guessing it's supposed to shock the reader like it did Rimuru, well until the copout anyways.

Oh that. I thought you meant the explanation from Ellen and got confused because of it. Yeah the off-screen is to build the tension for Rimuru's reaction.

Magic to revive the dead does not exist...But resurrection CAN be done, but it has a price and it's not the most pleasant one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Katreus posted:

This is really good and compelling

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

(More Slime Novel Spoilers from Doomrider) Magic to revive the dead does not exist...But resurrection CAN be done, but it has a price and it's not the most pleasant one.
What's the difference there? Afaik those two words have the same meaning in a fantasy setting.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 11, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

3rd

According to a fan survey she was 3rd behind Shuna at 2nd and Rimuru as 1st.
Does shuna even do anything

She is basically a cardboard cutout with waifu written on it

Ok you can take anything past the manga right back out of here please and thank you, or mark it properly

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Does shuna even do anything? She is basically a cardboard cutout with waifu written on it
She does vague shrine maiden type stuff, maybe

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
The individual characterization of all the characters in slime suffers since the cast is so massive. I don't think any of the characters except the slime himself really have characters arcs or compelling individual character traits. So yeah, cardboard cutout with waifu written on it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It would suck if the resurrection was just another thing introduced by isekai'd people. "They say to raise the dead, you need to gather seven dragon balls..."

Then again, in a setting where reincarnation exists... spinoff! The Tempest massacre victims are reincarnted on Earth!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Does shuna even do anything

She is basically a cardboard cutout with waifu written on it

Ok you can take anything past the manga right back out of here please and thank you, or mark it properly

I post the spoilers since I know that even if I posted links to the pertinent material on the spinoffs or links to where you can download the LN's for free, no one is gonna actually read any of it or download them which kind of bums me out since I like the series and it's nice to have people to talk to about it.

https://mangadex.org/title/31183/tensura-nikki-tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken

e: No :filez: please. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, poo poo dude, it's on my list to read, but I'm currently still catching up on Duke's Daughter's WN and Moon-Led Journey's WN(which is...not the best translation, but it's easy enough to cotton to the meaning of some of the more obtuse translations of theirs), slime isekai and probably sword dad LN/WN were likely next. You don't need to post spoilers from past the manga without marking them as such just because you're frustrated that seemingly nobody is diving in themselves, there's an entire thread dedicated to the light novel, isn't there? At the very least just mark your spoilers as post-manga stuff.

Thanks for the latest light novels, though. I'll toss those on to my phone to read when I'm in the mood to read on there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, poo poo dude, it's on my list to read, but I'm currently still catching up on Duke's Daughter's WN and Moon-Led Journey's WN(which is...not the best translation, but it's easy enough to cotton to the meaning of some of the more obtuse translations of theirs), slime isekai and probably sword dad LN/WN were likely next. You don't need to post spoilers from past the manga without marking them as such just because you're frustrated that seemingly nobody is diving in themselves, there's an entire thread dedicated to the light novel, isn't there? At the very least just mark your spoilers as post-manga stuff.

Thanks for the latest light novels, though. I'll toss those on to my phone to read when I'm in the mood to read on there.

I do. Nobody really checks the LN one though I might just transfer everything to the anime one then and no problem on the LN's. Duke's Daughter was good, but the translation was pretty wonky in a lot of places, hopefully it's gotten cleaned up since then. Surprisingly enough Sword Dad and Slime are both published under the same company, Micro Magazine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

doomrider7 posted:

I do. Nobody really checks the LN one though I might just transfer everything to the anime one then and no problem on the LN's.

If there's an LN thread, talk about LN stuff, in the LN thread. Don't transfer it to the anime one. People who just watch the anime read that one. People here were talking about the manga. If nobody checks it, it's because nobody's interested, and that's also fine. You won't suddenly get more people to talk to, just more people complaining at you. Also:

doomrider7 posted:

I post the spoilers since I know that even if I posted links to the pertinent material on the spinoffs or links to where you can download the LN's for free, no one is gonna actually read any of it or download them which kind of bums me out since I like the series and it's nice to have people to talk to about it.

https://mangadex.org/title/31183/tensura-nikki-tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken

:filez: ? Straight up posting a download for the light novels must be crossing a line, right?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 11, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I read the LN thread, but I don't post in it cause there's nothing really to say as only doomrider basically posts in them.

There's also way too much to sift through.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got around to catching up with the Slime manga and I just don't get it. The manga has a good artist, but everything happens in a way that is somehow even duller than I expected. It seems to just sort of abruptly jump from each plot point to the next. It has some of the issues Kumoko has with regards to an uninspired setting (both have these bizarre "fantasy potluck" settings with all sorts of random things from Tolkien and Japanese folklore), but Kumoko compensates somewhat by having more of a clear narrative and lots of content from the perspective of side characters (Slime does this some, but not to the same extent, and everyone still worships the slime).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ytlaya posted:

I got around to catching up with the Slime manga and I just don't get it. The manga has a good artist, but everything happens in a way that is somehow even duller than I expected. It seems to just sort of abruptly jump from each plot point to the next. It has some of the issues Kumoko has with regards to an uninspired setting (both have these bizarre "fantasy potluck" settings with all sorts of random things from Tolkien and Japanese folklore), but Kumoko compensates somewhat by having more of a clear narrative and lots of content from the perspective of side characters (Slime does this some, but not to the same extent, and everyone still worships the slime).

I think it's because it is an isekai series that isn't absolutely trash, so it gets that gold star and broad acclaim.