Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

um excuse me posted:

Oscilloscopes. Something I last used about a decade ago with equipment from the 80s or 90s. I remember the one I had was a Tektronox 2 MHz analog. I used to use it with a signal generator and a logic tester. Is the market pretty much the same? I saw there are some USB based ones, are those useful? What about the multimeter ones? Are ones under $100 trash? Are there combination scope/signal generator/logic testers out there? I'm super out of touch but want to be able to test ICs.

Testing ICs is literally my job. Get the Rigol 1054Z as nmfree suggested. We use them when writing test programs for the big ATE testers, and even occasionally during regular production testing to verify device functionality. One of our test engineers has the hacked firmware on his personal scope, but I haven't really encountered anything that the stock configuration can't handle.

If you want to screw around with oscilloscope music though - you have to have an analog scope. We have a few old Tektronics units from the 60s and 70s around too and when we really want to blow people's minds - I just put Jerobeam Fenderson's music though the scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

0toShifty posted:

If you want to screw around with oscilloscope music though - you have to have an analog scope. We have a few old Tektronics units from the 60s and 70s around too and when we really want to blow people's minds - I just put Jerobeam Fenderson's music though the scope.
Aren't there technically some (probably really high end) digital scopes that sort of simulate the fade/persistence of a CRT scope? I want to say I vaguely remember a youtube video, probably EEVblog, demonstrating something to that effect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nmfree posted:

Short answer: Rigol 1054

Longer answer: ask in the Electronics Thread.

Yup. The 1054z is an amazing scope for the money, and is easily upgraded (http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/) to 100Mhz if you need it. The deep memory is super useful, and it's well-regarded as the best beginner's scope.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Now that I'm at an actual computer, I'll follow up the Rigol 1054 talk with a link to the Saelig Discount Thread on the EEVBlog forums; I don't know what the exact discount they're offering is, but it's probably going to be the cheapest offer on the Internet.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Thoughts on corded vs cordless grinders? Obviously if you're often on job sites where running power is a pain, the use case is obvious, but is there any use case your average backyard tinkerer might run into where a corded grinder sucks to use? I've been borrowing my buddy's corded grinder enough that I want to buy my own, but if I spend $50 on a corded grinder only to run into a job in the next couple years that makes me wish I'd spent the extra $100 or so on a cordless grinder I'm going to be irritated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spend ten dollars on a grinder at Harbor Freight.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I love my M18 grinder, but you need to be stealing a *lot* of bikes to justify one over the mid-range HF corded jobby.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Spend ten dollars on a grinder at Harbor Freight.

counterpoint: spend 30 bucks for a better brand

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have a $15 closeout special Skil 4 1/2" grinder, and it's ground hundreds of feet of steel, aluminium, concrete, and sometimes wood and plastic over the last 8 years, it's gotten to the point where I'm using it for 10 foot long diamond blade concrete cuts with water lubrication to try and kill the drat thing because I can afford nice tools now and want a better grinder, but I can't justify it because this stupid POS will cut anything.

Also, grinders are one of the few tools left that will outstrip your charging capacity during use, if you're not a coneseur of big batteries and multiple charging stations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elviscat posted:

Also, grinders are one of the few tools left that will outstrip your charging capacity during use, if you're not a coneseur of big batteries and multiple charging stations.

This. Within minutes. They'll also outstrip your air supply.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

counterpoint: spend 30 bucks for a better brand

My mid grade HF grinder is loving scary powerful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

My mid grade HF grinder is loving scary powerful.

Come use my 9" Metabo. 15A of angry German grinding action...

Cordless grinders are great for little stuff, remote stuff, or for using a cutoff wheel in dicey spots (they don't have the power to do nearly the damage a corded grinder does). My Makita is great, but there's a reason I've got 4 corded grinders. Aside from being a tool hoarder.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I buy tools for the fab team at work and splashed out on a couple of DeWalt DCG405FN-XJ, they're plenty powerful, 5ah batteries last long enough and they get into tight spots easily, but they're £240 each bare tool Vs ~£140 for the really good corded ones. For home use I spend about £25 personally.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

peepsalot posted:

Aren't there technically some (probably really high end) digital scopes that sort of simulate the fade/persistence of a CRT scope? I want to say I vaguely remember a youtube video, probably EEVblog, demonstrating something to that effect.

You can get a fairly clean picture even on a 1054Z - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WcJw_uI6l8 and here's a higher end Rohde & Schwarz scope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tex3IlE44

But the digital scopes will be limited by the refresh rate of its LCD. The real magic of using an analog scope is the basically unlimited smooth motion that doesn't even look real right in front of you. If fact, youtube videos of an analog scope also don't capture the smoothness because of the digital cameras used to video them have no hope of keeping up.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 12, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Isn’t a corded Makita like 70 bucks on sale these days?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

sharkytm posted:

Come use my 9" Metabo. 15A of angry German grinding action...

Cordless grinders are great for little stuff, remote stuff, or for using a cutoff wheel in dicey spots (they don't have the power to do nearly the damage a corded grinder does). My Makita is great, but there's a reason I've got 4 corded grinders. Aside from being a tool hoarder.

My wife got me the Dewalt 60v grinder for my birthday. I gave my dad my 15a corded.

One of the tools i use the most and now i dont have to walk cords around.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Even name brand corded grinders are cheap enough that you can dedicate one to each disc so you don't have to waste a bunch of time switching between cutting/grinding/flap discs all the loving time. I guess you can do that with cordless grinders too but even my tool lust won't let me justify spending like $700 on angle grinders.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember someone posting about a tool for working on sinks that can reach far up into hard to reach spots to turn nuts. Like an open ended wrench on a long extension.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Can I get a link? Got a small leak I'd like to tackle, but it's too much of a PITA to actually work on for me to do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is a cheapie. They come in different sizes and different reach lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4ZF0HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H7HkDb36QGRQB

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Much thanks!

Edit, may get this cause I still have a gift card. Though it may be too small.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-basin-wrench-91958.html

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 13, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Isn’t that just a deep socket?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

No, they’re open end wrenches, since faucet studs are often arbitrarily long to accommodate really thick counters, and almost invariably loving-impossible to get to.

You can also sometimes get a crows-foot socket on them, but not always, and almost no one has crows feet in the bigger sizes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So basically the alternative is to shut the cutoff valves (yee haw if they are the cheapie oval type), undo the sink from below and remove the whole assembly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Assuming the gave you enough extra flex hose to get it out of the counter, yes.

(They didn’t.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Man if you have problems at the cutoffs...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MrYenko posted:

This is a cheapie. They come in different sizes and different reach lengths.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4ZF0HA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_H7HkDb36QGRQB

I may just be a moron but I tried to use one of these years ago and I remember it not working at all. So prepare for frustration.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

I may just be a moron but I tried to use one of these years ago and I remember it not working at all. So prepare for frustration.

I put this particular sink together with basic tools. Anything will be a godsend.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Nah, they work wonderfully as a general rule. Could be you had a bad one, or (sorry to accuse) were using it backwards, which will just make it slip instead of grabbing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I was but a DIY baby back then (now I'm a toddler), so anything is possible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That quick jack is $1k shipped from the costco site right now. I just unexpectedly bought tires for the M3 but I'm still gonna grab one. :homebrew:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I've used those sink bolt wrenches without any issues too. One of the few single-tasker tools that excel at exactly what they were meant to do. Throw some pillows under your back if you're going to be under the sink for a while, holy hell is it a back breaker to lay under a sink.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mod sassinator posted:

holy hell is it a back breaker to lay under a sink.

And my wife.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anyone know a physical store where I can get an M16x1.5 die? I need to recut some threads on a power steering flare nut because the ones that came on the new hardline won't thread. I can only assume that they were cut by a syphalitic chimp because it's the same size and pitch as the old one, but it will not go on

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone know a physical store where I can get an M16x1.5 die? I need to recut some threads on a power steering flare nut because the ones that came on the new hardline won't thread. I can only assume that they were cut by a syphalitic chimp because it's the same size and pitch as the old one, but it will not go on

Check your local Ace. I usually have better luck there than at big Orange or big Blue when looking for odder stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Depending how big of town where you live, you might find someone on the industrial side that sells these
http://www.nes.co.il/

http://www.nes.co.il/nes-1a/

They are awesome.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Grainger or McMaster Carr are good spots too when you need a very specific tool or piece of hardware.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wera stuff is on sale today on prime day

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have the 932/6 set that's on sale. They're literally called chisel drivers. I've literally used them as such before to great effect and no damage to the tools. They warranty claim ones that do. I've heard amazing things about the 334/6 laser etched drivers as well.

Holy moly what makes an 11 piece ratcheting combination wrench set $220 on sale?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In a bind I've filed grooves into a nut to turn it into a disposable do-or-die er, die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/HAUTMEC-Telescoping-Capacity-Telescopic-10-inch/dp/B072QD5D3F/

I'd recommend a telescoping tap wrench as the adjustable length helps get the handle where you can turn it without hitting anything.