Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know people prefer Heenan over Ventura and I get why, but I definitely feel like Jesse would have done more with the whole "WHAT HAVE I BEEN TELLING YOU PEOPLE FOR YEARS" concept.

Think Heenan basically admitted he checked out mentally of WCW pretty quick because they pretty much refused to listen to him and his ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's why Heenan was such a great commentator, you were getting genuine reactions out of him. I have no doubt he said Hogan was the 3rd man because that was a dig at Hogan, which was one of the things he'd do amuse himself through shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

On a recent Jericho podcast about the sale of wcw, Dave said that he wrote in the Observer that he knew (or heavily suspected) that Hogan was the 3rd man and while Heenan might not have been a reader, Tenay definitely was and would likely have told Heenan.

He wrote it the week before and Hogan probably told Heenan himself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

He wrote it the week before and Hogan probably told Heenan himself.

Hogan and Brain were actually buds (well, as much as one can be friends with a guy like Hogan) despite the on screen feud, right?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know people prefer Heenan over Ventura and I get why, but I definitely feel like Jesse would have done more with the whole "WHAT HAVE I BEEN TELLING YOU PEOPLE FOR YEARS" concept.

Think Heenan basically admitted he checked out mentally of WCW pretty quick because they pretty much refused to listen to him and his ideas.

Jesse was better than Heenan, don't @me :colbert:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jesse at WM5 is underrated as hell. Totally blowing a gasket at the No Holds Barred announcement and then calling out Hogan for using heel tactics against Savage actually had 7 year old me agreeing with him. I think at one point Hogan uses the old rake the eyes with the edge of his boot move and I was furious.

I also still use "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat" as a joke to this day.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Critical posted:

Jesse at WM5 is underrated as hell. Totally blowing a gasket at the No Holds Barred announcement and then calling out Hogan for using heel tactics against Savage actually had 7 year old me agreeing with him. I think at one point Hogan uses the old rake the eyes with the edge of his boot move and I was furious.

I also still use "Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat" as a joke to this day.

The No Holds Barred bit is one of my favourite parts of that entire show. "YOU CAN DRIVE MY LIMO!!!"

Heenan was obviously burned out by WCW quite quickly, but I can still remember some of the lines from his earlier period there, before the big boom. He was hit-or-miss then but the only thing I can recall him doing after WCW got big was his snapping at Schiavone after Gorilla died. I don't remember a single thing that Ventura did in WCW sadly.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The No Holds Barred bit is one of my favourite parts of that entire show. "YOU CAN DRIVE MY LIMO!!!"

Heenan was obviously burned out by WCW quite quickly, but I can still remember some of the lines from his earlier period there, before the big boom. He was hit-or-miss then but the only thing I can recall him doing after WCW got big was his snapping at Schiavone after Gorilla died. I don't remember a single thing that Ventura did in WCW sadly.

He was the MC for the 1992 Jesse Ventura Invitational Strongest Arm Arm Wrestling Tournament (which was won by Van Hammer :v: )

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hogan and Brain were actually buds (well, as much as one can be friends with a guy like Hogan) despite the on screen feud, right?

Everyone who came over to WCW with Hogan were his friends, as far as I can remember.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Defiance Industries posted:

Everyone who came over to WCW with Hogan were his friends, as far as I can remember.

or at least tolerated him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Wasn't Heenan was signed before Hogan?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Wasn't Heenan was signed before Hogan?

Heenan's first TV was WCW Saturday Night on January 27th 1994, Hogan didn't come in until June 1994.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jesse lost me when I realized he did the same schtick to Steamboat during the Steamboat/Savage match.
You want to play the face hypocrisy card against Hogan or Warrior, fine. But playing it against possibly the biggest lily-white babyface to ever exist is just stupid.

As an aside: I personally loved when faces turned the table on the heels like that.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I loved Ricky's never ending series with Flair. :kiddo: Even when I was little and had no idea what workrate was, it was easy to tell those matches were just better than drat near everything else.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Jesse lost me when I realized he did the same schtick to Steamboat during the Steamboat/Savage match.
You want to play the face hypocrisy card against Hogan or Warrior, fine. But playing it against possibly the biggest lily-white babyface to ever exist is just stupid.

As an aside: I personally loved when faces turned the table on the heels like that.

There's a fun little angle from 1994 that started with Dustin Rhodes in need of a tag partner. I don't recall what started this off, but eventually he turned to Arn Anderson. Anderson pretty much lets him know from the start he's playing with fire.

During a match that I think aired on Worldwide, the two are tagging against heels Bobby Eaton and Steve Keirn, who used the name Bad Attitude. Dustin and Arn were doing a lot of mildly heel stuff in the match, like phantom tags when the ref's back was turned. As a young'un, I thought it was awesome to see good guys do that.

Within a month or two, Anderson had beaten the crap out of Dustin and joined up with Colonel Parker, which set up a babyface turn by the Nasty Boys when Dusty recruited them to aid in getting revenge.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a fun little angle from 1994 that started with Dustin Rhodes in need of a tag partner. I don't recall what started this off, but eventually he turned to Arn Anderson. Anderson pretty much lets him know from the start he's playing with fire.

During a match that I think aired on Worldwide, the two are tagging against heels Bobby Eaton and Steve Keirn, who used the name Bad Attitude. Dustin and Arn were doing a lot of mildly heel stuff in the match, like phantom tags when the ref's back was turned. As a young'un, I thought it was awesome to see good guys do that.

Within a month or two, Anderson had beaten the crap out of Dustin and joined up with Colonel Parker, which set up a babyface turn by the Nasty Boys when Dusty recruited them to aid in getting revenge.

More importantly, it led to THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES, BABY

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

More importantly, it led to THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES, BABY

one of the best promos ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG1QGU1VEg

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I liked when Konnan tried to drop that quote on Nash after the finger poke of doom and Nash just goes 'That's funny coming from you. How's your view been?'

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
My favorite thing about Dusty promos is how he says Arn's name.

"Ahhhn Annuson!"

Also everything about his promos.:allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

I liked when Konnan tried to drop that quote on Nash after the finger poke of doom and Nash just goes 'That's funny coming from you. How's your view been?'
They really did Konnan dirty in that whole elite nWo business. They surrounded him and he was like, " I'm 'pac! I'm 'pac!" indicating that he, the babyface with catchphrases, wants to be in the group of dickhead heels, and then they told him no and beat the poo poo out of him.

Granted, it's Konnan, but all the same.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The weird part was Konnan had been a bigger star and drawn way more money than anybody in the nWo besides Hogan.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Randaconda posted:

The weird part was Konnan had been a bigger star and drawn way more money than anybody in the nWo besides Hogan.

True, but it was in a *gasp* foreign country. So it doesn't count, and if anything serves as a negative.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jibrD6TRAZk

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Anyone have the exact figure on what the record was for that Konnan music video getting played in a single Nitro?

I think it might be 4, specifically on that one that didn't have any wrestling on the first hour.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheSwizzler posted:

Anyone have the exact figure on what the record was for that Konnan music video getting played in a single Nitro?

I think it might be 4, specifically on that one that didn't have any wrestling on the first hour.
I don't think it ever played more than once per episode, but it played every episode of Nitro and Thunder for a bit there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

TheSwizzler posted:

Does that include the time that Disco Inferno recorded himself reading the lyrics in front of a green screen of the video?

I always thought that was hilarious.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Oil of Olay, all day, everyday!

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

TheSwizzler posted:

Listening to this RN and it really is not that bad. It's catchy!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/50-forgotten-wcw-stars-photos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Sgt. A.W.O.L."

God how many military themed wrestlers did WCW have?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/wcw-spring-break-photos#fid-26133218

Vince should bring back Spring Breakout, imo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Sgt. A.W.O.L."

God how many military themed wrestlers did WCW have?

The Misfits In Action were a decent enough midcard stable.

unrelated

the best stable ever.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 13, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

The Misfits In Action were a decent enough midcard stable.

They absolutely were not.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

They were fine. :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm inclined to dislike anything that got Bill Demott a push

I didn't like him before 99% of the developmental talent who "learned" from him buried him for being a bully piece of poo poo, and it's just worse now that I know in hindsight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Misfits in Action were the worst stable in major league wrestling history.

The Corre at least had a good promo in it. The League of Nations had some good wrestlers.

The Misfits in Action were led by General Hugh G Rection, who sucked. His promos all sucked. He managed to have bland boring feuds with everyone. His stable mates sucked. Corporal Cajun was a bad wrestler. Private/Major Stash was a bad wrestler. All the momentum the Wall had after his brief Hogan feud and kind of a push was killed. All of their matches were bad. Their storylines, like Huge Erection's senile father, or Major Gunns feuding with Miss Hancock (or her joining Team Canada) were all horrible. The stable falling apart managed to be horrible and nonsensical with the way Chavo left.

Major Gunns despite being a horrible promo and wrestler was at least a nice person and probably the only good part of the stable.

Also their theme music sucked and their merch sucked.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The Corre at least had a good promo in it. The League of Nations had some good wrestlers.

The Misfits in Action were led by General Hugh G Rection, who sucked. His promos all sucked. He managed to have bland boring feuds with everyone. His stable mates sucked. Corporal Cajun was a bad wrestler. Private/Major Stash was a bad wrestler. All the momentum the Wall had after his brief Hogan feud and kind of a push was killed. All of their matches were bad. Their storylines, like Huge Erection's senile father, or Major Gunns feuding with Miss Hancock (or her joining Team Canada) were all horrible. The stable falling apart managed to be horrible and nonsensical with the way Chavo left.

Major Gunns despite being a horrible promo and wrestler was at least a nice person and probably the only good part of the stable.

Yeah, Chavo is the only person in that group who I'm glad was on TV. I know people give Chavo poo poo because he doesn't measure up to his family's awesome legacy as wrestlers, but he was pretty decent and he had a little charisma.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

MassRafTer posted:

Also she became a camgirl instead of staying in the meat grinder that is pro wrestling. Smart decision imo

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MIA was better than the Natural Born Thrillers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

I disagree :colbert:

and the worst stable was either PMS or the Corre