Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
looks like you're pretty good at soccer kid
but why can't you play football like your father did

Aaron Sorkin scores his life with 38 Special and James Taylor because kinda like pop country is music for American Nazis, Dad Rock is music for American Liberals aka Pretty Much Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be a little bit contrarian here and say that the use of the Mercator Projection gets a little too much of a bad rap: the reason you use it is so that plotting travel on a map is always in a straight line, as opposed to having to make curved routes on any of the more "realistic" projections.

It even comes into play if you're trying to teach basic cartography at the secondary level, so that the teens can play around with getting the distance from one LatLon coordinate to another, which is exactly what was taught to us in school.

Y'all did point out that the use of a map projection that subtly overly-highlights the Global North might have happened with a completely innocent explanation like the one I just provided, and it still behooves to examine the consequences, but I think it was a flaw in the writing that we never really got into why Mercator is the default projection in the first place.

___

Meanwhile, the protests from this episode are almost definitely a reference to the 1999 WTO protests in Seattle. It was the largest protest action of its time against the globalization and free trade movement, and for people with the memories to match it was sort of the last gasp of a militant left against the End of History tide.

It sucks that Toby basically takes the "capitalism has uplifted millions out of poverty" line when it comes to rationalizing why opposing the march of globalization is wrong, and then he doesn't even deliver his little diatribe to the protesters themselves - if I recall correctly he says it to the cop while they're outside shooting the poo poo.

The other thing is that this depiction of the protesters barely even has them filling up an auditorium, whereas the Seattle protests involved as many as 40,000 people. It's a dismissive, mocking strawman that basically fell off the face of political history because 9/11 happened.

And yeah, Aaron Sorkin loving hates protesters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwk_Ot8orPY

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Christ, I'd forgotten about that particular Newsroom episode/clip. So loving lovely and smug.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to be a little bit contrarian here and say that the use of the Mercator Projection gets a little too much of a bad rap: the reason you use it is so that plotting travel on a map is always in a straight line, as opposed to having to make curved routes on any of the more "realistic" projections.

It even comes into play if you're trying to teach basic cartography at the secondary level, so that the teens can play around with getting the distance from one LatLon coordinate to another, which is exactly what was taught to us in school.

Y'all did point out that the use of a map projection that subtly overly-highlights the Global North might have happened with a completely innocent explanation like the one I just provided, and it still behooves to examine the consequences, but I think it was a flaw in the writing that we never really got into why Mercator is the default projection in the first place.

Not contrarian at all! Because you're right, BUT, in the episode itself the CfSE krew briefly tips the hat to Mercator for straight-line travel being the salient benefit of his particularly distorted projection. They kind of quickly shovel it under the rug by being like "This was in 1580 whatever and lol at those dummies" but it's there.

This episode was fun to edit because I started... 3 beers deep and had two more while we recorded. cleaning up my terrible, deteriorating microphone etiquette (is there a word like embouchure for this?) lmao

chirurgeon i owe you a pm i've just been... this week has been slammed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing is that this depiction of the protesters barely even has them filling up an auditorium, whereas the Seattle protests involved as many as 40,000 people. It's a dismissive, mocking strawman that basically fell off the face of political history because 9/11 happened.

And yeah, Aaron Sorkin loving hates protesters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwk_Ot8orPY

Jesus gently caress I couldn't finish that clip. It's horrendous.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We talmbout Soviet war heros this week and thanks to the cspam pics thread I have become aware of "Combat Girlfriend" which I will assuredly engrave onto whatever rifle I am assigned when the militias are reconstituted

I mean come ON Ukies 4 The Revolution bb

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have that 2016 meme where it shows a picture of Occupy Wallstreet and it has the condescending tag of "Maybe you should get involved in politics then" then a picture of a Bernie rally and it has the tag "Motherfucker" or something like that? That clip is just your typical Boomer dismissiveness.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
oh, god... you guys actually like the peters projection scenes? The Peters projection is essentially the Co-Exist sticker popularized by a grifter. It's virtually the worst equal-area map projection. This is a hill I'll die on.

John Billingsley is probably most familiar to goons for Star Trek Enterprise.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

oh, god... you guys actually like the peters projection scenes? The Peters projection is essentially the Co-Exist sticker popularized by a grifter. It's virtually the worst equal-area map projection. This is a hill I'll die on.

Look be cool, map doers, I don't give a single poo poo about cartography in and of itself so I'm not gonna fight with you about this stuff

the framing of the science of projection enabling imperialism is what I'm enthused about, particularly

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

It's not about the Peters projection itself, it's about challenging the imperialist cultural assumption that kids are fed about how Western Civilization is the most important thing of all.

We're not stanning the map.

We ARE stanning Order of Lenin recipient Daniel Gault, though, I want to remain clear on that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the Worst Wing Defenders

Have logged on

i don't ever log off

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Goddamn Toby remains the worst.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Toby is poo poo but at least he believes in something (lovely) enough to fight for it. I'd rank Bartlett as the worse because he's a completely empty suite wrapped in credentials and he's so god drat smug about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'll sit down if I want to Mister President. You're not a King.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1142055392488374272

what is the virtue of a proportional response :smugdon:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Right Thing Wrong Reasons is like a running theme

anyway I dunno where wampalord is except constantly posting but I was out of town for work last week, maybe we'll get a new episode up this week??

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yo have you guys considered doing a Designated Survivor review after the worst wing. S1 of DS was ok but then it took a nosedive and S2-3 have been West Wing fanfiction where the main character literally says he'll fix America with glorious centrism.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

suck my woke dick posted:

Yo have you guys considered doing a Designated Survivor review after the worst wing. S1 of DS was ok but then it took a nosedive and S2-3 have been West Wing fanfiction where the main character literally says he'll fix America with glorious centrism.

at this rate we won't finish with west wing until late 2021

electing president Sanders provides for a distinct fork in the timeline, down one tine of which either my liver or a cop has killed me by then

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

On this new episode, we discuss filibusters, diaping up, email narration framing devices, and even the film Rashomon!

We had a lot of fun recording this one, hope you have as much fun listening to it, and I hope everyone checks out Binging with Babish, or at least this one with the dessert from this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uIK3o32hig

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
SPORTS

SPORTS

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I'm a little sad you didn't link to the Garfunkel and Oats sports song.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

I'm a little sad you didn't link to the Garfunkel and Oats sports song.

That one is really good, thanks for reminding me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fraSdN-PG8

appropriate that we highlight a female version, cause this episode is all about EQUAL RIGHTS YEAH!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN1WlLVoHSQ

Just in time for your evening commute it's an extremely pivotal episode of the series that we try to take at face value and actually halfway enjoy!

I think I'm breaking my own rule here but I would, no joke, RECOMMEND WATCHING THIS EPISODE if you're a fan of television. wtf!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I think I'm breaking my own rule here but I would, no joke, RECOMMEND WATCHING THIS EPISODE if you're a fan of television. wtf!

Ew, gross, then you have to see the bad half too.

Disregard, everyone, just listen to the podcast instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1150767062274498561

SORKINNNNNNN!!!!

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So this episode starts the story line where we are supposed to think Hoynes running in the primary is a huge betrayal. But like, do we ever know why Bartlett even ran? I haven't watched the show recently, but I can't remember a single piece of legislation or foreign policy that we are supposed to think is important or historic as the viewers. People are just supposed to feel safer with President Dad in charge than someone less credentialed?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Acinonyx posted:

So this episode starts the story line where we are supposed to think Hoynes running in the primary is a huge betrayal. But like, do we ever know why Bartlett even ran? I haven't watched the show recently, but I can't remember a single piece of legislation or foreign policy that we are supposed to think is important or historic as the viewers. People are just supposed to feel safer with President Dad in charge than someone less credentialed?

I don't recall them ever addressing it. I think it's vaguely related to Bartlett being a kind of "what if Kennedy hadn't been shot?" kind of angle on the presidency but I don't think they ever say much about his dad beyond the guy being abusive.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Is kind of embarrassing that this sentiment can be considered aspirational for today's dems lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hey another drop in time for your weekend commute!

It's Oliver time!. Realizing a little too late that these three episodes probably could have been mooshed together into one recording session ala the season opener, but this is snappy and very low-key "political" so to speak.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

i have listened to all the episodes and i think the podcast is good.

please use this quote on the back of the book you eventually write

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

Thanks :3: it is nice to channel my unfathomably bountiful cynicism into something creative.

We're almost a full year into the project too

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The leak stuff really makes me think that Toby would be one of those people who call Chelsea Manning a traitor.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

The leak stuff really makes me think that Toby would be one of those people who call Chelsea Manning a traitor.

Space Shuttle Brother comes back with a vengeance with Toby potentially betraying military secrets too so you know just more completely incoherent ideology in service of a character trait as opposed to the other way around.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Wasn't the whole military secrets thing just a way to write Richard Schiff off the show for most of the last season because he was sick of the show by that point but somehow give his character some sort of dramatic thoroughline because he agreed that he'd pop in for like three or four episodes worth of scenes? It was basically a panic mode button push of "we can't write him off because the babies are in trouble, people like babies and would want us to constantly go back to check on them; we can't just kill him, we can't fire him, he basically has to be 'jailed' somehow for like a year or so and pardoned".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
because I always forget to post my commentary after hearing an episode, I wanted to get this in before the next one: that thing with the failing Chinese satellite is kind of a stereotype of Chinese-manufactured goods being low-quality junk that was really prevalent in the late 90s/early 00s, since trade relations with China had only just been normalized at the time

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
thrilling conclusion episode of the MS Reveal Arc is going to be slightly delayed due to scheduling problems

gradenko_2000 posted:

because I always forget to post my commentary after hearing an episode, I wanted to get this in before the next one: that thing with the failing Chinese satellite is kind of a stereotype of Chinese-manufactured goods being low-quality junk that was really prevalent in the late 90s/early 00s, since trade relations with China had only just been normalized at the time

Hadn't really connected these two dots, I'm curious about the chicken/egg for this particular stereotype. In the modern era it seems as though it's been like a dialectical thing?

Particularly given the other stereotype of outsourcing American manufacturing to China, I'm curious how much one informs the other. Did capital recognize that they could exploit the affordability of foreign labor and this RESULTED in shoddy manufacturing, or was it shoddy manufacturing demands that resulted in China (understanding it's not really the correct "entity" to refer to) deliberately appealing to those needs.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The first manufacturing concerns to move into an area are usually making cheap goods because the infrastructure isn't there for more complex or capital intensive goods. Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan all had similar "cheap junk" reputations when they started industrializing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Goon Danton posted:

The first manufacturing concerns to move into an area are usually making cheap goods because the infrastructure isn't there for more complex or capital intensive goods. Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan all had similar "cheap junk" reputations when they started industrializing.

Yeah Japanese tech and cars were considered "cheap poo poo" until the 80s