Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

Sigma unveils world smallest full frame camera

It looks like an ergonomic nightmare and I want it

I'm the guy who thought a full-frame camera without a hotshoe or an accessory mount was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Any reason I shouldn't pick up a great condition Fuji X-Pro1 for ~€260?
Anybody living with one who can chime in about its performance compared to more recent cameras?

I already have an X-H1 and some lenses, so this would be an addition to the ever-growing bag of gear I fantasize about using in ways I'll never end up doing.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Helen Highwater posted:

I'm the guy who thought a full-frame camera without a hotshoe or an accessory mount was a good idea.

Apparently it is a modular attachment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

Any reason I shouldn't pick up a great condition Fuji X-Pro1 for ~€260?
Anybody living with one who can chime in about its performance compared to more recent cameras?

I already have an X-H1 and some lenses, so this would be an addition to the ever-growing bag of gear I fantasize about using in ways I'll never end up doing.

I think you'll be frustrated by how slow the older camera is and will rather shoot the X-H1 after the novelty wears off.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There is like a weird cult following around the x-pro 1 that I haven't seen with the x-pro 2. Maybe cus it's cheaper? Could also just be hipsters liking something older.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But you already have a X-H1. What can a X-Pro1 give you that the new one can't besides more portability and decent battery life?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Animal posted:

I think you'll be frustrated by how slow the older camera is and will rather shoot the X-H1 after the novelty wears off.

I think this is correct. If you're pining for something smaller, you can maybe get an X-T20 for a similar price and I think you'd be happier with it.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Go ahead with the xpro, the body won't depreciate anymore anyway. Just think of it as a cheap rental.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Capture One just emailed me a 30% off code that's good for the next 24h, anyone want it?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh also just lol that you can’t print from Lightroom CC.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

That new sigma owns but I’m only interested in a Foveon version. Love Foveon.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Animal posted:

Hoping that tino is right about the depreciation, which means I can shift it if it ends up unused.

Krispy Wafer posted:

But you already have a X-H1. What can a X-Pro1 give you that the new one can't besides more portability and decent battery life?

XBenedict posted:

I think this is correct. If you're pining for something smaller, you can maybe get an X-T20 for a similar price and I think you'd be happier with it.

What I'm looking for isn't necessarily smaller (though that helps). I miss my X100T and the shooting experience (specifically the hybrid viewfinder). An X-Pro will give me that while being compatible with my existing lenses, not to mention bringing some discreetness to situations where the X-H1 just shouts "pro photographer". People in small towns seriously frown at cameras pointed their way. GDPR doesn't help, either.

I've already made up my mind and want an X-Pro, I just wanted to see if anybody's still using a 1 to give me an idea of how it's aged. If it's a tortoise then I'll wait for a 2 at a bargain price :shobon:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I mean an X-Pro is very obviously "a camera" and it pretty big compared to something like the X100 series. It definitely nails the nice rangefinder feeling, but if you really want something that people won't really notice a XF10 or a GR(II/III) will be much better for that job.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean an X-Pro is very obviously "a camera" and it pretty big compared to something like the X100 series. It definitely nails the nice rangefinder feeling, but if you really want something that people won't really notice a XF10 or a GR(II/III) will be much better for that job.

Maybe the X70 as well..

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

I've already made up my mind and want an X-Pro, I just wanted to see if anybody's still using a 1 to give me an idea of how it's aged. If it's a tortoise then I'll wait for a 2 at a bargain price :shobon:

My OG X100 feels faster than the X-Pro1, and an X-T1 felt like a full generation leap, which it was. The X-Pro1 was fujis first interchangeable lens mirrorless, and the performance shows. It's a dinosaur but if your subjects are still the camera is still very competent.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just met Matt Granger the photography YouTuber in a state park. He was carrying both a Fuji 50R and the new Hassleblad. I approached him to ask about the cameras and one of his companions pointed out who he was. Anyways he likes the new Hassleblad more, but with the Fuji price cut he seems to have been inclined to recommend that if you are interested in medium format. I think I’m gonna wait for the bodies to be available in the used market at a discount and then snatch one, the size really isn’t as bad as I thought. The lenses are chunky but not that long.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Animal posted:

I just met Matt Granger the photography YouTuber in a state park. He was carrying both a Fuji 50R and the new Hassleblad. I approached him to ask about the cameras and one of his companions pointed out who he was. Anyways he likes the new Hassleblad more, but with the Fuji price cut he seems to have been inclined to recommend that if you are interested in medium format. I think I’m gonna wait for the bodies to be available in the used market at a discount and then snatch one, the size really isn’t as bad as I thought. The lenses are chunky but not that long.

B&H has had used 50Rs since they came out and with the current sales, they’re cheaper yet.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again
Hey, back to Capture One for a sec, if you guys don't mind... I got the 30% offer that's been flying around, and seriously looking to pull the trigger. Just shot a paid gig today, 2000+ photos, and dreading going through them with LR and its sometimes 1-3 second pause while flipping between photos. Of course, even with the 30% discount, it's still pretty expensive, and I'd need to hold onto my LR subscription for managing my personal photos, at least until SmugMug makes their export plugin.

Questions:

1. Are the style packs worth the money? To answer holocaust bloopers's question from a couple of pages back, I use RNI and VSCO presets in LR, which I spent stupid money on, but I've actually narrowed that down to three or four film looks that I use with regularity (60% with Portra 160, the rest with various Afga) with a touch of hard fade. Every few months or so, my favourites shift around.

2. I noticed there's presets converter by Picture Instruments for $47. Has anyone used that and is that worth the money?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Rontalvos posted:

My OG X100 feels faster than the X-Pro1, and an X-T1 felt like a full generation leap, which it was. The X-Pro1 was fujis first interchangeable lens mirrorless, and the performance shows. It's a dinosaur but if your subjects are still the camera is still very competent.

Thanks, I passed on the 1 and will wait for a good deal on a 2.

Stupidly missed picking one up for £800 (new) at an airport duty free shop, a few months ago. Struggle to find good used ones for less than that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Lone Lemon posted:

Hey, back to Capture One for a sec, if you guys don't mind... I got the 30% offer that's been flying around, and seriously looking to pull the trigger. Just shot a paid gig today, 2000+ photos, and dreading going through them with LR and its sometimes 1-3 second pause while flipping between photos. Of course, even with the 30% discount, it's still pretty expensive, and I'd need to hold onto my LR subscription for managing my personal photos, at least until SmugMug makes their export plugin.

Questions:

1. Are the style packs worth the money? To answer holocaust bloopers's question from a couple of pages back, I use RNI and VSCO presets in LR, which I spent stupid money on, but I've actually narrowed that down to three or four film looks that I use with regularity (60% with Portra 160, the rest with various Afga) with a touch of hard fade. Every few months or so, my favourites shift around.

2. I noticed there's presets converter by Picture Instruments for $47. Has anyone used that and is that worth the money?

I use c1 to process 2-4K images every weekend. It’s pretty fast once it generates all the previews it needs.

To answer 1, it’s not necessary, if you can spend some time in the color editing tabs you can probably recreate your favorite vsco profiles. I have a ton that I’ve saved over the years, and there’s new color editing tools that are probably faster to use.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Anybody else watch the A7R IV announcement? Real-time animal eye focus, Canon and Nikon really need to get on the ball.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's surprisingly affordable, too. Makes the EOS R look like a joke.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thom12255 posted:

Anybody else watch the A7R IV announcement? Real-time animal eye focus, Canon and Nikon really need to get on the ball.

240mp hi res mode, holy balls that's even more than the Panasonic S1R :eyepoop:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Here's to hoping A7rII owners start selling their cameras to upgrade...

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Good lord the A7R4 seems to be a total monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoGRcdIqxTc

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Looks real loving dope.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

Didn't they already release animal eye autofocus in a firmware update?

I don't like shooting with Sony so I won't be partaking, but I look forward to the sensor making its way to Nikon.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Animal eye-AF came to the mark 3 bodies, but not the new real-time tracking algorithms, those were introduced in the a6400.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Alright fine I’ll ask. What is animal eye focus?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Exactly what it sounds like. Works like Eye-AF on humans, but instead on animals (i.e. mostly cats and dogs).

e; autofocus on (animal) eyes, in case it wasn't clear.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That’s neat. I thought it was like the eye-controlled focus on old canons. Would be insane to see in a mirrorless with 400 off focus points.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I was just in B&H last week ogling the A7r3 and the Z7, telling myself that both are nice but I don’t need to spend all that money on either.

Here we go again.

Does Sony have an sRaw mode other than the crop?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
No, there's bit depth compression, but not resolution scaling.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anyone here use a Z6 and the 24-70 f4? Curious how the lens is.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Haven't used one yet but from what I've seen and read it's an excellent piece of glass.

Just got a Coolpix A today. Suddenly remembered drooling over it when it was announced and being horrified at the price, so decided to see what they go for these days. Just got a like new one with warranty for under 300 bucks from a German retailer. It's really fun not keeping up with all the latest and greatest and occasionally finding out that some thing you noticed a few years back suddenly is affordable. :)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hmm yea. eBay has that combo for about 1850 new. I’m weighing if it’s worth the hassle on flipping my Fuji X-H1 and 16-55 2.8 plus 55-200mm

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Idiot Question Time:

Why did DxOMark test and grade the A7iii at ISO 50 - which they referred to as it's 'base sensitivity', and noted it had the best image quality at that level?

The A7iii's base ISO is 100, isn't it? Even in-camera, it shows the lower steps (80, 64, 50) with the same notation as you get with the ultra-high ISOs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

I have one and use it sometimes — I’m more of a prime person so I don’t love it, but wouldn’t love any other zoom either and I’m glad I have it. The lens does seem very sharp and the build feels nice.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Cuntpunch posted:

Idiot Question Time:

Why did DxOMark test and grade the A7iii at ISO 50 - which they referred to as it's 'base sensitivity', and noted it had the best image quality at that level?

The A7iii's base ISO is 100, isn't it? Even in-camera, it shows the lower steps (80, 64, 50) with the same notation as you get with the ultra-high ISOs.

Because ISO 50 trades some highlight headroom for tonal gradation. Assuming you get the right exposure and don't push it too much, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

powderific posted:

I have one and use it sometimes — I’m more of a prime person so I don’t love it, but wouldn’t love any other zoom either and I’m glad I have it. The lens does seem very sharp and the build feels nice.

Thanks. How do you like the Z6/Z7?