Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I still hold the opinion that Loose Cannon/Tide Turner/Eyelander is the most fun you can have in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Playing Soldier on pubs with a friend who isn't good at games but likes the Medic and telling them to "run kritz, trust me" was the most joy I've ever seen come out of this game. You get to share an experience with them that they may not have a chance to pull off on their own and they're so happy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If you don't taunt after every domination and revenge kill you ain't playing TF2 right.
I have let people die all the time as medic mid-uber, gotta taunt mate.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006

Reiley posted:

Playing Soldier on pubs with a friend who isn't good at games but likes the Medic and telling them to "run kritz, trust me" was the most joy I've ever seen come out of this game. You get to share an experience with them that they may not have a chance to pull off on their own and they're so happy.

Being part of a competent soldier/medic duo is absolutely the most fun you can have in a video game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/PaulMcIcedTea/status/1136971550568189952

FalloutGod posted:

Being part of a competent soldier/medic duo is absolutely the most fun you can have in a video game.

:yeah:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 11, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

What is everyone's favorite map?

Mine's Nucleus. I know a lot of people hate this map, but I just love it. There are almost no points in the map that are feasibly defendable, so you gotta be a shark and just keep swimming.

The upstairs area can be a little bit of a problem if a team sets up there to spawn camp from that angle, but casual is usually too disorganized for that, thankfully. Mini-sentries can be an irritation, but one direct hit soldier can put a cramp on that pretty easily. I see people say snipers have it too easy on Nucleus, but I don't understand that as it's one of very few maps where flanking sniper positions is actually easy to do.

Plus the whole place looks like a James Bond villain's doomsday device facility or something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gonna be boring here and say Upward, which I consider to be one of, if not the best, fps multplayer map made.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Both the PD maps last year's Scream Fortress were good (Monster Bash and the pirate ship one) and I wish they stayed in regular rotation.
Otherwise Steel might be my favorite, as long as everyone understands how it works and the teams are reasonably cohesive.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It has to be cp_badlands or koth_harvest. Both designed to perfection.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Harvest is another fun one to play jetpack pyro on

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
dustbowl is the best map in the game also my go to troll is schadenfreude after every kill and hitting my "go back to overwatch" bind

edit: and if they start bitching at me in all chat i just reply with the bind

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I absolutely love Harvest. It's a very mobility-focused map that lets soldiers and demos cross the map in seconds, bouncing through open skies from high ground to high ground, while scouts and pyros can easily slip around the sides or through the buildings to punish anyone who dares to let their guard down anywhere on the map. It's a map where anyone can be anywhere fighting whoever they want, with barely any notion of frontlines or safe areas. It also has lots of attractive-seeming sniper spots that are actually incredibly vulnerable, ensuring a steady supply of satisfying prey.

I liked Doomsday, too. In most maps, some points are easy to defend and other ones are hard to defend, but Doomsday barely even considers the idea of making the point defensible. It's wide open, with the only cover being the rising platform itself and the tunnels to high ground that anyone can drop onto the point from. It's chaos.

I've long had a liking for Badwater, but it can get pretty chokepointy at places.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Mine's Nucleus. I know a lot of people hate this map, but I just love it. There are almost no points in the map that are feasibly defendable, so you gotta be a shark and just keep swimming.

The upstairs area can be a little bit of a problem if a team sets up there to spawn camp from that angle, but casual is usually too disorganized for that, thankfully. Mini-sentries can be an irritation, but one direct hit soldier can put a cramp on that pretty easily. I see people say snipers have it too easy on Nucleus, but I don't understand that as it's one of very few maps where flanking sniper positions is actually easy to do.

Plus the whole place looks like a James Bond villain's doomsday device facility or something.

I'm a big fan of Steel even though I normally prefer 5cp over A/D by a large margin. I just think it's a really interesting gimmick and I like how rounds tend to progress.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Galaxander posted:

Nucleus does two great things with snipers: snipers have easy access to the point, and everyone else has easy access to the snipers. Snipers wind up actually fuckin participating a lot more than they do on most maps, which is one of the many reasons Nucleus is objectively the best TF2 map.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I'm a big fan of Steel even though I normally prefer 5cp over A/D by a large margin. I just think it's a really interesting gimmick and I like how rounds tend to progress.

I had some pretty good rounds on Steel last night. My team seemed to not have great understanding of the map, but still held decently, until the enemy managed to sneak in on E and set up several sentry positions, while we were still only on B.
After they won the round half my team ragequit.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Galaxander posted:

Agreed! Very much a favorite. Honestly hard pressed to think of a KOTH map I don't like. Lazarus, maybe? Never got the feel of that one.

RIP though to Hydro, Yukon (before the central CP moved), and DoubleCross. Gone, but not forgotten.

Special mention to Sawmill, for absolutely nailing the feeling of the cascade mountain range.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My only real issues with Harvest are that the spawn exits are a little too exposed and the point is a little too easy to hold. The ghosts on the Halloween version solve the latter problem, but I think a third spawn exit that puts you right into the house would probably be a good thing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nielsm posted:

I had some pretty good rounds on Steel last night. My team seemed to not have great understanding of the map, but still held decently, until the enemy managed to sneak in on E and set up several sentry positions, while we were still only on B.
After they won the round half my team ragequit.

managing to do a hail mary on E at the last second before your team even has the bridges down is the best and is probably my favourite thing about steel

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

cock hero flux posted:

managing to do a hail mary on E at the last second before your team even has the bridges down is the best and is probably my favourite thing about steel

Alternatively, having one or two scouts push E right out of the gate to draw attention off A is a real fun time. Especially if a demo or engie comes along to camp that door and really piss red off.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alternatively, having one or two scouts push E right out of the gate to draw attention off A is a real fun time. Especially if a demo or engie comes along to camp that door and really piss red off.

The standard procedure for Red is to get demos and soldiers to spam people off E, because most classes can't get onto it. Back when they added the powerjack and I figured out that it let pyros get enough of a speed boost to just barely clear the jump(you can do it a lot easier now with the detonator), me and a couple of friends managed to get a pyro testudo going on the point. There's so much dumb poo poo you can do with E, it's great.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

might have to give this a longer think but i need to do something rn

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i know frontier and badwater can become choke city but i have too many fond memories which override the analytical part of my brain

on second thought powerhouse deserves at least a b
heres the thing btw https://tiermaker.com/create/official-tf2-maps-2019-51007

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks! I ranked mine:

Though it felt like some were missing.
I know cactus canyon and asteroid were. I would have put those in B and A tier respectively.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Thanks! I ranked mine:

Though it felt like some were missing.
I know cactus canyon and asteroid were. I would have put those in B and A tier respectively.

something about lakeside i cant quite put my finger on just doesnt gel with me. I've had loads of fun and all but IDK what puts me off.

Also finally someone showing foundry and doublecross the respect they deserve. During the last months I played it was impossible to play foundry... I wish valve servers from the browser would come back :(

e: wait hold the gently caress up junction better than borneo? than snakewater??? than sunshine? I'm getting worried...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ArfJason posted:

something about lakeside i cant quite put my finger on just doesnt gel with me. I've had loads of fun and all but IDK what puts me off.

Also finally someone showing foundry and doublecross the respect they deserve. During the last months I played it was impossible to play foundry... I wish valve servers from the browser would come back :(

Foundry has all of the charm I want from a big and spacious cp map. I love that each point is like a mini koth place and there are so many options for attacking.

Likewise Doublecross should be the default 2fort. It is everything people think 2fort is with multiple routes and fun rounds. There are always ways to avoid snipers and it is good dangerous fun. Doublecross is the best of the CTF maps hands down!

Lakeside I have fond memories of from when I was playing in the ready steady pan tournament and it was one of the main maps we had to practice on.

EDIT: Junction is the one with the train going round the desert?

SECOND EDIT: Haha, oh whoops. I got confused with train junction points. Junction is the one with a roof everywhere. OK that should be down next to egypt.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 11, 2019

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
I put a lot of thought and effort into this

https://i.imgur.com/ewqGJAT.png

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Putting in a write in nomination for Orange x3 for S tier but only with RTD enabled.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite is badwater. Upward would be top if playing blue attacking last wasn't the worst experience in tf2. Barnblitz is really fun for messing around as scout with the invincible soda, so I rate it higher than it deserves

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I really enjoy Upward up until last. Most of it is probably because of playing pubs, but it just becomes an unfun stalemate because half of red goes Engineer.

And I'm also a dirty sniper main so it's a lot less fun in that area than in the rest of the map where I have a mile long sight line.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the key to both attacking and defending upward last is taking that upstairs area across the pit from red spawn, but good luck getting anyone (on either team!) to recognize that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've had a lot of pub games where my team keeps attacking the heavily fortified side out of what I can only imagine is pride while ignoring the fact that the other route is completely undefended

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Warpy posted:

I put a lot of thought and effort into this

https://i.imgur.com/ewqGJAT.png

*reads through maps that you can easily stickybomb jump through*

yeah this checks out

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ditocoaf posted:

I miss sitting on a server for multiple maps and getting to know who the strong players are, seeing them both on the other team and on your own. When matchmaking took that experience away, it kind of sapped my enthusiasm to play, even though I know it's kind of a peripheral thing.

Same. The stock rotation community servers were great. It was nice being recognized as a good player and having medics heal me, then swapping next round to medic and doing the same for them.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Failson posted:

Lazarus, maybe?

Lazarus is garbage because it's too easy to defend the point. No particularly good angles to attack the point from. See also: Brazil.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My only real issues with Harvest are that the spawn exits are a little too exposed and the point is a little too easy to hold. The ghosts on the Halloween version solve the latter problem, but I think a third spawn exit that puts you right into the house would probably be a good thing.

They should connect/roof over the left-hand spawn exit so you can't get stickies on both doors from one position imo. Still a fantastic map as is.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I have a confession to make.

I like 2Fort.

Mostly because i like eternal team death matches sometimes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
here's my tiermaker:
S: Dustbowl
A: KOTH_KING
B: goatse

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Hihohe posted:

I have a confession to make.

I like 2Fort.

Mostly because i like eternal team death matches sometimes.

It's the most popular map in the game and its supporters will be punished in this life or the next.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao if someone doesn't like harvest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The big difference between C and D is how long a map takes. If you're an alright map but you overstay your welcome constantly you're bad.

I loving loathe powerhouse, it's an overwatch map that managed to escape that bad game and get into TF2 and matches always last 50 years