Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If this has shown me anything though I should probably give mvm and mannpower a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just do what i did instead and play more harvest

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dustbowl's probably my favorite map, if only because of how many times I've played it. Turbine's a pretty fun CTF, and Gravel Pit has a neat layout. Upward and Gold Rush are good payload maps.

Other than those, I either don't remember anything real distinct about them, or I've never played on them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just joined a server, someone called a votekick against me for cheating, and I got booted. I was on there for about 45 seconds and didn't get a single kill. Weird.

EDIT: wasn't there a site where bots would auto-trade you weapons for scrap?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 12, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Ariong posted:

Just joined a server, someone called a votekick against me for cheating, and I got booted. I was on there for about 45 seconds and didn't get a single kill. Weird.

NO CAPPING ON HIGH TOWER

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ariong posted:

On a whim, I asked in chat if anyone wanted to trade me so I could get a Tomislav, and someone offered to just give me on for free. Unfortunately, when he went AFK for just barely a minute, there was a vote to kick him. I voted 'No' , but he still got booted. :(

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Grapplejack posted:

If this has shown me anything though I should probably give mvm and mannpower a shot.

Between MvM, Mannpower, and that weird Asteroid mode, TF2 had one heck of an experimental phase, huh?

A shame that ended in no content instead of returns to the content that worked.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MvM at least was a fairly successful concept with a decent amount of content

did cactus canyon ever become considered a finished map? is it currently in the rotation for casual play?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Bee posted:

Between MvM, Mannpower, and that weird Asteroid mode, TF2 had one heck of an experimental phase, huh?

A shame that ended in no content instead of returns to the content that worked.

It's a drat shame, Asteroid was a drat fun map, and it's ridiculous that they couldn't have finished it, either as a RD map like originally intended or as a CTF map

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ctf_asteroid would get me to play ctf

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Wake me up when there's a tierlist for surf maps

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ninjewtsu posted:

MvM at least was a fairly successful concept with a decent amount of content

did cactus canyon ever become considered a finished map? is it currently in the rotation for casual play?

Nah, it got fully abandoned. I think the only thing from it that really stuck around was the idea of holding the payload on train tracks until the train came from the second stage 2, that ended up in Banana Bay.

Asteroid was also great outside of the actual intel area. Once they started decorating it it was looking gorgeous too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

sockpuppetclock posted:

Wake me up when there's a tierlist for surf maps

That's because surf is a cs game mode, not this lovely cheap knockoff.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
love playing kz maps in loving day of defeat lmfao get real

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
jump maps are where it's at

jump_beef, jump_eons, cp_process...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Prop hunt is also a heck of a lot of fun. I love how adaptable the source engine is and all the smart things people have made it do.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jabor posted:

jump maps are where it's at

jump_beef, jump_eons, cp_process...

Now this poo poo is what im talking about. Got to be pretty decent at rjing back then.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

ArfJason posted:

That's because surf is a cs game mode, not this lovely cheap knockoff.
What the gently caress... surf isnt to cs like bhop maps are, surf is fun anywhere

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:chord: cs is the real surf :smugmrgw:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

psyman posted:

I wish Valve had created a few more CTF maps in line with the original spy base theme (mundane buildings up top, high-tech lair underground), I would love a new 2Fort or simply more creative and interactive base vs. base maps.

My idea for a sequel to 2Fort is a much larger map with the same aesthetics but more detailed defined bases further apart, connected by the bridge and a cable car (Conker Reloaded circa 2005 had a really fun map with this), and designed to be defended/attacked from multiple routes and side paths.

Isn't that more or less Doublecross?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

The Bee posted:

Add Arena mode to that list. The mode that valve won't acknowledge that it ever existed. If i recall correctly there isn't a matchmaking option for this mode.

I kind of liked arena mode when people weren't griefing (c&d afk spy). It made players think before feeding the meat grinder.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Arae posted:

Add Arena mode to that list. The mode that valve won't acknowledge that it ever existed. If i recall correctly there isn't a matchmaking option for this mode.

I kind of liked arena mode when people weren't griefing (c&d afk spy). It made players think before feeding the meat grinder.

Ahhh lumberyard_arena possibly the best map ever.

good times.

It was battle royale before BR was a thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ArfJason posted:

:chord: cs is the real surf :smugmrgw:

Your mother is the real surf.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Jurf maps are the true test of skill.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's the map with melee only and everyone says FORSOOTH! I love that poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

What's the map with melee only and everyone says FORSOOTH! I love that poo poo.

DeGroot Keep

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
DeGroot Keep would be a fun and ridiculous meat grinder if normal weapons were allowed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

DeGroot Keep would be a fun and ridiculous meat grinder if normal weapons were allowed.

Years ago I did some brainstorming for a hypothetical Medieval Mode focused update, and alongside making a couple preexisting weapons(mainly the three Jumper items) usable in it, it would also add a bunch of new weapons for every class that would be period appropriate for that mode

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The problem with medieval mode aside from sucking horribly is that melee weapon hit detection has historically been garbage.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

The problem with medieval mode aside from sucking horribly is that melee weapon hit detection has historically been garbage.

Kinda why my idea for said update would mostly revolve around giving everyone ranged weapons for that mode like Sniper and Medic have already

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Honestly I'm also ok with regular maps but add the DeGroot chat filter.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ArfJason posted:

might have to give this a longer think but i need to do something rn

I think I've played tf2 for an embarrassing amount of hours since 2007 and have never played thundermountain.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Jippa posted:

I think I've played tf2 for an embarrassing amount of hours since 2007 and have never played thundermountain.

i'm only wishing i could say the same thing

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Otacon posted:

If it's a good map I just feel silly that I never even realised.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Otacon posted:

thundermountain is good and stage 3 is one of the best maps in the videogame

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I will try it now for sure.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

ArfJason posted:

thundermountain is good and stage 3 is one of the best maps in the videogame

For as much as I make Hightower jokes lately, Thundermountain can run entirely too long - like, excruciatingly long - Dota length matches long - getting to that sweet third stage.

Every Casual matchup on Thundermountain I've ever had is either a complete roll for one side and the map changes in about 15 minutes, or you're now about to spend an hour and a half watching 5 of your paste-eating teammates run around ineffectually playing Secret-Agent-Man or repeatedly running head-on by themselves into meatgrinders instead of grouping up and pushing the drat objective.

EDIT: I just played it and the 15 minutes part is inaccurate - I forgot after you finish rolling or being rolled the sides switch. Yeah the map takes ages.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 13, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

All multi-stage maps are garbage, but I have to admit that thundermountain is probably the most bearable of them. Still wouldn't play it even for goofs, though.

Medieval mode is a lazy mess, but it's fun to jump on and shout stuff in chat to see what the filter will do and MVP with the homewrecker or something. I wish they had made the one official medieval map koth instead of A/D.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would like thundermountain way more if each map existed independent of one another, isntead of always having to play through 1 to get to 2 and 2 to get to 3

i like 1 and 2 fine but 3 is extremely good and you almost never see it because blu has to win twice in a row to get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thunder Mountain 3 is actually pretty easy to hellcamp if blue is bad, so it's possible that some of the good feeling comes from never actually playing it unless blue is good enough to not let that happen.