Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lmao holy poo poo why the gently caress can't i have a canon it looks fun af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

listened it during a distance trip across some country roads at night. way better than coast to coast and whatever. a bad thing happened with the right monopolizing conspiracy theory and turning it into a vehicle for advancing right-wing nationalist politics. the conspiracies are real though and the idea that they're too difficult to pull off is something the CIA wants you to believe, but like in sharp's case it's not like it's some secret meeting (although there were many meetings) where they give him his CIA badge -- he was just their colleague and felt good about working within the system to eliminate violence and make the world a better place, from his perspective.

smith coming out of the climate movement is also interesting to me since sharp was influential there with the "it only takes 3% to change the system" as is practiced in color revolutions where teenagers are handed a month's salary ($20 or so in georgia when the U.S. applied it there) to show up and wave signs around. i was cornered at a thing by this half-cracked activist who needed someone to talk to and who had gazed into the future climate abyss and was obsessed with this 3% number and i told him the right thinks that too hence the "three percenters" and he was taken aback by that
fwiw the guy who cornered me was pumping this group:

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Jul 5, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/l1quidcryst4l/status/1147215604161667078

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I seem to recall a story in Jacobin a while back about a lady involved in a direct action environmentalist group who discovered her boyfriend of several years and fellow activist was an undercover cop so yeah wouldnt be surprised

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to recall a story in Jacobin a while back about a lady involved in a direct action environmentalist group who discovered her boyfriend of several years and fellow activist was an undercover cop so yeah wouldnt be surprised
yeah. anecdotally, from what i've seen, the level of police spying on these people is pretty insane.

this ties into RNW because XR is very much into the "3 percent" manta that they were talking about

https://twitter.com/InfoSnores/status/1147220607639150595

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lmao this is the best we're capable of

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

weren't they a couple for like a decade and had a child together? that's some insane dedication to crush a bunch of hippies.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Lib guide to protest, intentionally get arrested and fail to notice the polis are your enemies.

Dipshits managed to get advice from Green and Black Cross who provide legal advice and support to protesters in the UK and just basically do the opposite.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

StashAugustine posted:

fahrenheit 9/11 hasn't aged well but the bit about the officer infiltrating a 24-person local peace group remains essential viewing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not even much of an "activist" or anything but when i actually began showing up to lefty things it was pretty stunning how immediate it was and for the most mundane "how to hold a sign at a protest" workshop-type things.

like oh, there's the cop.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

weren't they a couple for like a decade and had a child together? that's some insane dedication to crush a bunch of hippies.

Yeah I forget about the kid but they'd been together a while. Dude had a seperate family too iirc

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The night of Monday, August 12th they're having a live event in Brooklyn
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/radio-war-nerd-invades-brooklyn-tickets-64685232271

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

If anything should teach you that cops truly are fascists its the actions they take against peace movements and anarchist organizing.

Heres an explainer from our comrades at uh, Elle and Lush Cosmetics.

https://www.elle.com/beauty/a21098901/spycop-lush-cosmetics-explainer/

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
John is on the latest premium Chapo and it's good.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

very problematic of john

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

no surprise he'd go on since hes been kicking around NY

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Whoa cool that they have Joey L on. I preordered his book a long rear end time ago and just got it in the mail and it's Quite Good.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was kind of hoping the Chapo episode was actually going to be about World of Warcraft.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was kind of hoping the Chapo episode was actually going to be about World of Warcraft.

Same but I was also very happy to hear the War Nerd. :allears:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

while the Night Elves have existed as a society for well over 12,000 years, it can be stated that the recent introduction of the unbound Undead to Azeroth's power structure has ramifications for its power structures,

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Victory Position posted:

while the Night Elves have existed as a society for well over 12,000 years, it can be stated that the recent introduction of the unbound Undead to Azeroth's power structure has ramifications for its power structures,

John: so who would you say is the Mao of the Night Elf world? Do they have a working theory of guerilla war?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

like many victors, the orcs forgot they won the first war. the alliance never forgot, and in many ways is still fighting it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

John: so who would you say is the Mao of the Night Elf world? Do they have a working theory of guerilla war?

the blood elves were clearly the proletariat of wow vanilla. genocided because of actions by corrupt leadership

the undead and the gnomes are the only factions untainted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

like many victors, the orcs forgot they won the first war. the alliance never forgot, and in many ways is still fighting it.

lol jesus

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
In all my readings of Dolan I have never heard him talk about gaming except once, with disdain.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I remember Ames saying he was playing battlefield 1 and I'd watch that stream

coathat
May 21, 2007

with how much Carl Zha is posting about his dating life in Bali I’d hate to be the bare drywall in the collective apartments of seriooous China watchers right now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I hadnt realized so much of Iran was on a plateau between mountain ranges. Where can I learn more about how Tehran came to be such a population center ? Wikipedia basically says it was ignored until the 20th century and then post ww2 went from 1m to 10m which seems insane

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I hadnt realized so much of Iran was on a plateau between mountain ranges. Where can I learn more about how Tehran came to be such a population center ? Wikipedia basically says it was ignored until the 20th century and then post ww2 went from 1m to 10m which seems insane

A developing country's capital exploding in population after industrializaton isn't unprecedented at all.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
As Britain is being such a willing patsy to force a confrontation with Iran right now (presumably at the behest of whatever dark and malevolent forces control US foreign policy), I was thinking the funniest and most Trumpworld outcome would be the Royal Navy going ahead with some ridiculous altercation, losing whatever lovely ships we have, then Trump ignoring the whole stupid situation to go back to playing with trucks or whatever. Just leaving the UK to get the poo poo beaten out of us and all our ships sank because we were dumb enough to believe the Bolton lobby would back us up with airstrikes.

Seemed like the sort of thing that would put a smile on John's face.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
breaking news: the hms child fucker sunk by iranian frog men.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
“Admiral, it’s been an honor to die by your side”
“It’s an honor to have hosed boys by yours”

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

“Admiral, it’s been an honor to die by your side”
“It’s an honor to have hosed boys by yours”

meanwhile under the sea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsC2ETsZL0g&t=115s

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

snoremac posted:

In all my readings of Dolan I have never heard him talk about gaming except once, with disdain.

someone should tell him about grognardy wargames

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

lmao yep

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

babypolis posted:

As I recall he said that if you want to simulate war you can play videogames to that effect since god knows there’s more than enough of them.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I just subbed, any notable recommendations for episodes I should dig into the archives for?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Nothus posted:

John is on the latest premium Chapo and it's good.

agreed but holy smokes he has a lot of freudian slips

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Helsing posted:

Some suggestions, though ymmv depending on what specifically you find interesting.

Episode 29 - Nagorno-Karabakh war

Episode 40 - Ethiopia-Eritrea War

Episode 51 - the Red Scare and in particular an overview of the 1980s paranoid right-wing novel "The Spike" which both Dolan and Ames were once unironic fans of

Episode 63 - Interview with William Hogeland discussing the Whiskey Rebellion

Episode 64 - Sci fi and fascism, a popular episode with listeners

Episode 76 - Interview with the late Robert Parry, one of the last great American journalists, broke very important stories on Iran Contra

Episode 91 - Recovered History with William Hogeland, focuses on his book "Autumn of the Black Snake" which describes the incidents leading to the creation of the US army, including arguably the worst defeat ever suffered by American military forces

Episode 117 - history of the MEK in Iran

Episode 118 - Really good interview with Joshua Landis about Afrin

Episode 142 - Iran War scenarios, topical given current events

Episode 147 - Really good interview with Isa Blumi about Yemen and great power / local rivalries in the middle east

Episode 148 - Spanish-American War, Neocons & Anti-Interventionists, with Stephen Kinzer
requoting for the question above. I haven’t heard all of these but it covers most of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Optimus Subprime posted:

I just subbed, any notable recommendations for episodes I should dig into the archives for?

There's a lot of recommendations on the last page. I don't think anybody recommended The Spike episode, and that's about the first Russiagate panic during the 80s when the American right was convinced that everything was Soviet disinformatsiya.