Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Pipin the only cool lalafell?

krile, wedge, lalai, fufucha, momodi, chuchuto, wawalago and sisipu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Krile is a cat

E: not a Miqo'te

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Another endgame screenshot, but from a weirder angle! I spent a lot of time deciding if I wanted to be Viera after spending my life as an Au'ra, but the desire to be tall was overwhelming.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheetah7071 posted:

One thing I didn't get in the story

So is the WoL like 7/14th of a full unbroken person while everyone else is 1/14th? Why/how did this happen? When Ardbert powered us up, was he bumping us up to 8/14th? And I guess that extra bit was the bump needed to be able to successfully handle the light? Was this temporary or do we permanently have his power?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I unbookmarked the thread to avoid spoilers

This happened because of the rejoinings. There's something about us (our soul is probably a sundered soul of an ancient) so when our broken parts get rejoined (including Ardbert, as the ancient in the DMV says we're parts of the same whole), they come back to us, exactly as Emet-Selch says happens. That was enough to fix the damage the light wardens' light did to us, and we permanently have Ardbert's soul as part of us.

Other people may or may not be powering up as we are, but we don't know. It might depend on if they were an ancient, or some other form created pre/post Zodiark, or even some part of Hydaelin's blessing.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cheetah7071 posted:

One thing I didn't get in the story

So is the WoL like 7/14th of a full unbroken person while everyone else is 1/14th? Why/how did this happen? When Ardbert powered us up, was he bumping us up to 8/14th? And I guess that extra bit was the bump needed to be able to successfully handle the light? Was this temporary or do we permanently have his power?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I unbookmarked the thread to avoid spoilers
Here's how I parsed that question:

Part of what made us have so much aether flow power was having the 7 out of 14 ancient bits inside of us. We may be unique like that. I feel this doesn't actually say anything about us morally, but it does legitimately give us more magic points. When Ardbert rejoined us willingly we gained enough strength to stop the transformation into a lightwarden long enough to make Emet-Selch yee his last haw, but what permanently solved the problem was shooting all that accumulated Light into Emet-Selch and sending him to the next dimension (that dimension is a shallow grave near Eulmore where a dog will eat his bones)

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

It’s been a while since I’ve had to worry about this, but are congested servers completely closed? Even on non-peak hours? I remember the prevailing wisdom used to be just roll a character at 5am or whatever but that looks like it’s changed.

Got a couple friends jumping in but since Aether looks totally full I’m wondering if they’ll get in at all, peak or no

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StarMinstrel posted:

I find FFXIV shines best when it takes itself less seriously and tries it's hand at comedy. The Inspector Gadget Hildebrand quests are good fun too.

Hildebrand isn't Inspector Gadget, it's Pink Panther.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

To the people just getting to the Heavensward content, how jarring was it hearing all the new voices?

It really threw me off the first time I heard Alphinaud's new voice.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
So I'm using a Lancer, lvl 22, and my MSQ is to use the duty finder to enter Tam Tara Deepcroft (Fire in the Gloom). Easy enough to do, but no one seems to ever be running it. I've opened it to all languages, and join party in progress to no avail. Any tips on how I can make this happen? It seems like I can't advance the story without it.

I tried doing it alone but the first 2-man pull took me down to 35% life so I don't think I can solo the place.

Also- no one here seems to talk much about Lancer/Dragoon. What's the overall view of this job?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashrik posted:

So I'm using a Lancer, lvl 22, and my MSQ is to use the duty finder to enter Tam Tara Deepcroft (Fire in the Gloom). Easy enough to do, but no one seems to ever be running it. I've opened it to all languages, and join party in progress to no avail. Any tips on how I can make this happen? It seems like I can't advance the story without it.

I tried doing it alone but the first 2-man pull took me down to 35% life so I don't think I can solo the place.

Also- no one here seems to talk much about Lancer/Dragoon. What's the overall view of this job?

DPS queues are usually pretty poo poo unfortunately. Just gotta sit in queue for the 20-30 minutes. If you're in a goon FC, you can probably ask in your FC chat for people to join in to help.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Ashrik posted:

DPS queues are always bad, but yeah Tamtara is basically at the whim of the leveling roulette RNG. If you say you're new and the queue is taking forever in one of the FCs someone'll probably help, if you aren't in one you may just have to sit through the queue.

Dragoon is great, they have a mixed reputation for dying a lot (your jump later on has a kinda weird animation thing that can sometimes get you hit with AOE you probably could have avoided) but they're tied for the top melee dps right now and have a couple useful buffs that the other one, Samurai, doesn't.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Draxion posted:

DPS queues are always bad, but yeah Tamtara is basically at the whim of the leveling roulette RNG. If you say you're new and the queue is taking forever in one of the FCs someone'll probably help, if you aren't in one you may just have to sit through the queue.

Dragoon is great, they have a mixed reputation for dying a lot (your jump later on has a kinda weird animation thing that can sometimes get you hit with AOE you probably could have avoided) but they're tied for the top melee dps right now and have a couple useful buffs that the other one, Samurai, doesn't.

Also Dragoon just had really cool looking gear and fun abilities.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Just my luck. 82 minutes so far.

e: And it popped! Holy poo poo thank you RNG

ee: Nevermind! Healer backed out and I'm back in the queue

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Ashrik posted:

ee: Nevermind! Healer backed out and I'm back in the queue

Yeah, Tam-Tara has a reputation as the worst dungeon in the game. Probably because it's the worst dungeon in the game. If it's any consolation it's all up from there, but it's not a well thought-out place.

If the healer left after you got in then will probably get a replacement pretty quickly, the queue logic heavily favors filling single open slots for in progress parties ASAP. If you're in one of the FCs you can usually just ask and someone will fill in. If the healer just didn't accept the queue then you're still at the front and it should pop again soon.

Your 82 minute wait wasn't because people weren't signing up for Tam-Tara specifically. Higher level characters have access a "Leveling Dungeon Roulette" which will put them in any noncap dungeon, with a chunky XP/badge bonus on completion. I'd say most people do that roulette once/day. As a result there's a ton of people in a queue that includes Tam-Tara Deepcroft: it's just uncommonly many of those are DPS and they make it so your queue sucked. I think usually you can expect a DPS queue to be about 30 mins, but personally I don't queue as a role that isn't in demand very often so I'm not sure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is Pipin the only cool lalafell?
Papachan (the head of the Sultansworn and bodyguard of the Sultana whenever she goes incognito) is pretty legit.
Heck, Nanamo is pretty cool too.
I'd even argue that Lolorito is cool, though from a different point of view than normal.

Countblanc posted:

Sisipu doesn't do much other than point you towards Wawalago to get him to do all of the non-fishing parts of his job (to mixed success.)
And Chuchuto is stuck in the shadow of Hamon Holyfist.

Otherwise yeah, bunch of cool Lalafell for one reason or another.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Nah, Tam Tara isn't the worst dungeon in the game. Totorak and Aurum Vale share that crown.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Lamitt is extremely cool, on the subject of Giott. I also really like the scholar quests' lalafell, as well as all the tonberries if those count.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ashrik posted:

Dragoon is at the high end of the melee dps pack with Monk and Samurai, and bring some good raid utility. Overall they're an A+ job.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 12, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I must’ve got lucky because I’ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes in the DPS queues. Trials fire almost instantly. For some reason I’ve never seen a more than 30 person queue to log on either. Not sure if it is because I got put on a “Legacy” server as it was the only one open when I started. Not even sure what makes the server different.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tainen posted:

I must’ve got lucky because I’ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes in the DPS queues. Trials fire almost instantly. For some reason I’ve never seen a more than 30 person queue to log on either. Not sure if it is because I got put on a “Legacy” server as it was the only one open when I started. Not even sure what makes the server different.

You are extremely lucky. Or your server group is weird. On Primal my usual wait time as a melee dps is 10-20 minutes depending on what I am queueing for.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

TheHeadSage posted:

Nah, Tam Tara isn't the worst dungeon in the game. Totorak and Aurum Vale share that crown.

You're right, I got tam tara and totorak confused. So, correction: things will in fact go down from here!

I don't think AV is Totorak levels of bad. It's not good, but it at least has almost a full set of bosses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Only like the first room of Aurum Vale is horrible, imo. Everything else is okay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

<Prelude In Violet>

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only dungeon I ever have to backtrack in is Toto-Rak, so it's the worst one, but I will always give a dishonorable mention to Copperbell. I do not like Copperbell.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Finally done, after a short 108 minute wait. Hell yeah now I can continue the MSQ.

I told the people in the dungeon I was new and they said I did well, so I'm happy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ashrik posted:

Finally done, after a short 108 minute wait. Hell yeah now I can continue the MSQ.

I told the people in the dungeon I was new and they said I did well, so I'm happy.

Something to keep in mind for next time is that the daily roulettes reset at 11AM EST. If you're able to play at that time you can queue up for a dungeon and nab people doing their leveling roulette.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashrik posted:

join an FC friend, 100% honestly. Even if it's not a good discord, try to find one that's reasonably active. It makes queues for dungeons so much less painful, and waiting almost two hours to be blocked by a dungeon for MSQ progression can really kill story momentum for future story.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ashrik posted:

I just had to do this dungeon for the missus (she's there too) and we both had to suffer through it at 1500 ms.

At least the low level dungeons don't seem particularly difficult.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The proliferation of AoEs at lower levels has made the lower dungeons a lot more tolerable. I also think they might've done something with the stat caps or something as the mobs feel a lot more fragile than they did a couple years ago.

Also Dancer just shred low level dungeons, its great.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, the low level AoE spam now makes a lot of dungeons a lot less painful.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh boy, copperbell

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The best part about having FFXIV on an SSD is loading into Aurum Vale before the rest of the party and summarily bailing like the scumbag that you are, and they never saw who you were.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The proliferation of AoEs at lower levels has made the lower dungeons a lot more tolerable. I also think they might've done something with the stat caps or something as the mobs feel a lot more fragile than they did a couple years ago.

Also Dancer just shred low level dungeons, its great.

The combat rework came with a near-universal bump in potencies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, this expansion is good as hell. Fortunately I've been good about avoiding spoilers. The part where (early spoilers) Tesleen is transformed was extremely hosed up and some pretty strong nightmare fuel. Jesus Christ. I've also been leveling Dancer, and it's quite possibly the easiest DPS class I've ever played. The only thing I'm not clear on is what the point is to the stacking mechanic for the Four Leaves stuff. Is the idea to save them up for when the Technical Step buff (which I haven't unlocked yet - I'm currently level 64)? Currently there doesn't seem to be much of a reason not to just immediately use them.

By the way, where is the Rathalos mount from? I saw someone with one and I gotta have that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Man, this expansion is good as hell. Fortunately I've been good about avoiding spoilers. The part where (early spoilers) Tesleen is transformed was extremely hosed up and some pretty strong nightmare fuel. Jesus Christ. I've also been leveling Dancer, and it's quite possibly the easiest DPS class I've ever played. The only thing I'm not clear on is what the point is to the stacking mechanic for the Four Leaves stuff. Is the idea to save them up for when the Technical Step buff (which I haven't unlocked yet - I'm currently level 64)? Currently there doesn't seem to be much of a reason not to just immediately use them.

By the way, where is the Rathalos mount from? I saw someone with one and I gotta have that.

Probably raid buff/Devilment windows to get the most bang for your buck.

Rath mount is from, funnily enough, the Rathalos EX trial.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Probably raid buff/Devilment windows to get the most bang for your buck.

Rath mount is from, funnily enough, the Rathalos EX trial.

not only is it from the Rathalos EX trial
but you need to do Rathalos EX like... 50? times to buy it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

Could get lucky and have it drop directly, but yeah.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Level 80 MSQ spoiler: it's great the whole tesleen thing is so hosed up, because it reall drives the fear home when you consider that it might happen to you. Esp when you're coughing up white.

Man black mage is in such a good place right now. I've been main lining it since I started the game in 2.2. It's completely smooth now without feeling brainless like rdm, and you have plenty of tools to style with. It is still punishing to lose enochian, but it's not so tight that you can't do mechanics, and you don't have to worry about the boss leaving the map for a while.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of drops, I got a 5* Gaius card from the MSQ Roulette. Never gotten it before despite doing the MSQ Roulette like a zillion times. Was it only added recently?

Tashilicious posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have to do that. Fortunately I also play MH and am very familiar with Rathalos's moves (which seem to be reproduced pretty accurately in terms of his animations from watching the fight on youtube), so hopefully it should be doable.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Gaius turned super saiyan in ARR? Think he'll ever do that again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhonne posted:

Remember when Gaius turned super saiyan in ARR? Think he'll ever do that again?

That was his armour.