Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tek79 posted:

This will get repeated once or twice more, and it will 100% become a major right-wing talking point going forward to where I'd expect at some point to hear from my conservative family members that retiring is for "pussies" and "snowflakes", and that they're going to work themselves to death just before they vote enough of their people into office to gut any means by which I could personally retire.

Look if the GOP wants to adopt Karōshi as a party platform they are welcome to it :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

tek79 posted:

This will get repeated once or twice more, and it will 100% become a major right-wing talking point going forward to where I'd expect at some point to hear from my conservative family members that retiring is for "pussies" and "snowflakes", and that they're going to work themselves to death just before they vote enough of their people into office to gut any means by which I could personally retire.

All the boomer assholes have pretty much already retired, and they want YOU to work yourself to death to keep them in their cavernous home that no one wants to buy from them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah the instant boomers turned 65 retiring is for wimps and everyone born after 1960 needs to work until they die to keep wealth taxes low

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ReidRansom posted:

All the boomer assholes have pretty much already retired, and they want YOU to work yourself to death to keep them in their cavernous home that no one wants to buy from them.
While they lament that their Millennial and Gen-X kids don't understand the value of their heritage (because they don't want grandma's china and furniture).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pookel posted:

While they lament that their Millennial and Gen-X kids don't understand the value of their heritage (because they don't want grandma's china and furniture).

Can relate. I tried to consign a giant grandfather clock I inherited to a local antique furniture auction house and was told in the appraisal email they sent me that I’d actually lose money on it shipping it to them because Kids These Days don’t want to buy giant German-crafted grandfather clocks/china storage cabinets. I wound up just giving it away to some random old fart just to be rid of it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So while the Qanon folks are saying that Trump hung around Epstein to get dirt on him so that when he became president he would be able to stop him forever, Rush's take is basically "Trump barely knew the guy! He mentioned Epstein like once ever in his entire life!" Hannity meanwhile isn't even addressing it and is simply pulling the "But Bill Clinton!" card. Rush did that too, Hannity is just doing it without mentioning Trump's connections to Epstein and downplaying it like Rush did.

Hannity also had a bit to say about the Seth Rich news, which was basically "I did an interview with Assange and asked him like five times if Russia had anything to do with it and he said no, that's ironclad proof that this is fake news from the Deep State!"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

Can relate. I tried to consign a giant grandfather clock I inherited to a local antique furniture auction house and was told in the appraisal email they sent me that I’d actually lose money on it shipping it to them because Kids These Days don’t want to buy giant German-crafted grandfather clocks/china storage cabinets. I wound up just giving it away to some random old fart just to be rid of it.

That's interesting, my maternal grandfather had built a grandmother clock that was in our house the whole time I grew up (IIRC it was a wedding gift). After they retired and were moving, they had someone check it out, and apparently it was built out of a kit and effectively worthless. We'd always assumed it was some amazing priceless thing, turns out it was, but only for the sentimental value. It's now in storage and I assume I'll be getting to deal with it when the time comes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That's interesting, my maternal grandfather had built a grandmother clock that was in our house the whole time I grew up (IIRC it was a wedding gift). After they retired and were moving, they had someone check it out, and apparently it was built out of a kit and effectively worthless. We'd always assumed it was some amazing priceless thing, turns out it was, but only for the sentimental value. It's now in storage and I assume I'll be getting to deal with it when the time comes.

It was a drat shame too. It was a beautiful clock and actually was authentically German made. It even still had the original brochure from the clockmaker shop in the Black Forest where they bought it back in the 70s. It went from one end of North America to the other and back again several times over without any damage or any pieces going missing, and it was basically the only thing anyone in my family inherited from my grandparents on that side of the family for convoluted reasons. I couldn’t even bear to be there at the house when it was finally crated up and taken away.

15 years ago, it probably would have been worth thousands of dollars, but in the waning years of the 2010s, it was basically worthless., to the point where a professional auction house appraiser literally said “sell it on Craigslist for $200”. So yeah, you have my sympathy and I wish you the best when the time comes to deal with such a thing yourself. It’s not fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm reminded of that feeling when I was reading a collector's newsletter trying to delicately explain the collapse in prices in the art glass and milk glass markets as "supply is rapidly increasing while demand is falling." Translation is that old people are dying and their glass is flooding the markets, but old people are the only ones who want it in the first place. Partly because of people moving more and living in smaller spaces, but also probably because their only memories of their grandmother's glass collection is her yelling at them to not touch it.

A few weeks ago I was at an auction where a family wanted at least $1000 each for a grandfather clock and piano. The auctioneer somehow managed to convince them that they should leave it at the house and just let him use pictures. It helped everyone stay very polite as we waited for the items to officially pass with no bids, much less the reserve.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/skenigsberg/status/1147922695188881409

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm reminded of that feeling when I was reading a collector's newsletter trying to delicately explain the collapse in prices in the art glass and milk glass markets as "supply is rapidly increasing while demand is falling." Translation is that old people are dying and their glass is flooding the markets, but old people are the only ones who want it in the first place. Partly because of people moving more and living in smaller spaces, but also probably because their only memories of their grandmother's glass collection is her yelling at them to not touch it.

A few weeks ago I was at an auction where a family wanted at least $1000 each for a grandfather clock and piano. The auctioneer somehow managed to convince them that they should leave it at the house and just let him use pictures. It helped everyone stay very polite as we waited for the items to officially pass with no bids, much less the reserve.

WTF are you young kids talking about. My Beanie Baby collection is worth MILLIONS...

Back on topic, what is news in the country going to be like when all these old farts die off? Like in 10-15 years?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

XtraSmiley posted:

WTF are you young kids talking about. My Beanie Baby collection is worth MILLIONS...

Back on topic, what is news in the country going to be like when all these old farts die off? Like in 10-15 years?

All news shows will be on YouTube.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

XtraSmiley posted:

Sex will be officially canceled.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lycus posted:

All news shows will be on YouTube.

I mean, all the ones that are worth watching is already there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

XtraSmiley posted:

They keep radicalizing the newly-old over McDonalds breakfasts, guaranteeing the problem will never die.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XtraSmiley posted:

fox news will be replaced with twitch streams of 35 year old dudes constantly shouting the n word while playing battle royale shooters

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

XtraSmiley posted:

Replace "the Clintons" with "the SJWs" in Fox scripts, and you're good to go.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

Corporate and the interests of the filthy rich are going to have to start catering to what are now the younger generations, which might get a bit more tricky than it is now with Boomers. With Boomers and older Gen-Xers it was always pretty easy to get them voting against their own interests because they were the ones who grew up at a time when everything was handed to them or handed to them cheap, and white male privilege was open and expected. A lot of right-wing media focuses on telling those people that they're the hard workers who had it rough while everyone else is just lazy and un-American. Future Fox News is going to be focused on convincing Millennials that they're the 'Murican boot-strappers, so I'm expecting pundit commentaries in 2035 to be rants about how ungrateful Generation Z is because they're unhappy about only getting to eat one meal a day and want debt relief from paying off their refrigerators.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIcRJDqQPM

These IDW idiots like Eric Weinstein are whining about being exposed as right-wing grifters and frauds by Sam Seder on Joe Rogan. Sam Seder’s response here is just spot on rationally and intellectually. We need more people like him in the media who double down on exposing right-wing bullshit without apologizing for it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

tylersayten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPIcRJDqQPM

These IDW idiots like Eric Weinstein are whining about being exposed as right-wing grifters and frauds by Sam Seder on Joe Rogan. Sam Seder’s response here is just spot on rationally and intellectually. We need more people like him in the media who double down on exposing right-wing bullshit without apologizing for it.
I haven't watched much of Sam Seder's (or Dave Rubin's) show, for the first minute I thought the guy on the left was Dave Rubin and was just moping on his phone while Sam dragged him.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

So Gab switched to the mastodon code base in order to get around App Store deplatforming. The idea is to use other mastodon clients. The authors of mastodon clients are now blacklisting gab and other related domains and the app store reviews are full of tears. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keylesspalace.tusky&showAllReviews=true

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tek79 posted:

Corporate and the interests of the filthy rich are going to have to start catering to what are now the younger generations, which might get a bit more tricky than it is now with Boomers. With Boomers and older Gen-Xers it was always pretty easy to get them voting against their own interests because they were the ones who grew up at a time when everything was handed to them or handed to them cheap, and white male privilege was open and expected. A lot of right-wing media focuses on telling those people that they're the hard workers who had it rough while everyone else is just lazy and un-American. Future Fox News is going to be focused on convincing Millennials that they're the 'Murican boot-strappers, so I'm expecting pundit commentaries in 2035 to be rants about how ungrateful Generation Z is because they're unhappy about only getting to eat one meal a day and want debt relief from paying off their refrigerators.

I think a lot of the corporations running everything are going to be in for a big surprise when they figure out that nobody can afford to loving buy anything they sell. We're pretty much there right now. Most people working 40 hours a week right now can basically afford food, shelter and transportation but any time they need new tires, a transmission, a new fridge, a computer, a printer, a phone, an exterminator or anything like that it's all going on credit. Any vacations.

And god help anyone who needs surgery or something. Or has a kid.

I make around the median income and own my house outright but I still shop at flea markets, dollar stores and garage sales and pack my own lunch/eat in. Any unexpected expense goes on my credit card by necessity and the idea of retiring is laughable unless I sell this house.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

the idea of retiring is laughable unless I sell this house.

And you live in Florida. There won't be a house left.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a lot of the corporations running everything are going to be in for a big surprise when they figure out that nobody can afford to loving buy anything they sell.

This has already started, it's the "Millennials are killing the ___ industry!" headlines.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Star Man posted:

Yep. I live on Anastasia Island. This house is doomed.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

xarph posted:

So Gab switched to the mastodon code base in order to get around App Store deplatforming. The idea is to use other mastodon clients. The authors of mastodon clients are now blacklisting gab and other related domains and the app store reviews are full of tears. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keylesspalace.tusky&showAllReviews=true

Man, right wingers being the biggest crybabies is great. All that projection and they just meltdown anytime they don't get their way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Man, right wingers being the biggest crybabies is great. All that projection and they just meltdown anytime they don't get their way.

Except they've been constantly getting their way for some time now. Bush's 2 terms and now this poo poo show. They're still miserable crying fucks

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

I think a lot of the corporations running everything are going to be in for a big surprise when they figure out that nobody can afford to loving buy anything they sell. We're pretty much there right now. Most people working 40 hours a week right now can basically afford food, shelter and transportation but any time they need new tires, a transmission, a new fridge, a computer, a printer, a phone, an exterminator or anything like that it's all going on credit. Any vacations.

And god help anyone who needs surgery or something. Or has a kid.

I make around the median income and own my house outright but I still shop at flea markets, dollar stores and garage sales and pack my own lunch/eat in. Any unexpected expense goes on my credit card by necessity and the idea of retiring is laughable unless I sell this house.

Did you inherit the house or something?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone that enjoys this thread should check out “The Loudest Voice” on Showtime. It’s pretty good.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BiggerBoat posted:

Except they've been constantly getting their way for some time now. Bush's 2 terms and now this poo poo show. They're still miserable crying fucks

I keep remembering an anecdote someone told me about seeing a little kid red-faced and bawling because he had an icecream in each hand so if he was eating one he couldn't eat the other.

They are all that kid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Did you inherit the house or something?

yes

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Star Man posted:

I heard Aquaman is getting into real estate.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vriess posted:

Just collect plastic bottles (with caps) over the years and start wrapping them up in plastic in order to put under your house to create your own floating island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Island

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Vriess posted:

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1134537636159393792

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The democrats fuckin suck real bad but at least there is some actual arguments happening this election. I've seen so many right wing takes on 'AOC says it's kinda hosed up Pelosi keeps specifically targeting young progressive women of color to call out as if we're the problem' that just boil down to "AOC criticized...HER OWN PARTY LEADER???? WHAAAAAA??? IS FULL ON ARMED INSURRECTION NEXT?!' just because the right literally can't think of any of their McCain/Romney style 'very concerned Republicans' actually saying 'yea you know what, gently caress off McConnell with this dumb poo poo you're doing, I'm right and you need to stop' and voting against things.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

sexpig by night posted:

The democrats fuckin suck real bad but at least there is some actual arguments happening this election. I've seen so many right wing takes on 'AOC says it's kinda hosed up Pelosi keeps specifically targeting young progressive women of color to call out as if we're the problem' that just boil down to "AOC criticized...HER OWN PARTY LEADER???? WHAAAAAA??? IS FULL ON ARMED INSURRECTION NEXT?!' just because the right literally can't think of any of their McCain/Romney style 'very concerned Republicans' actually saying 'yea you know what, gently caress off McConnell with this dumb poo poo you're doing, I'm right and you need to stop' and voting against things.

To be fair it is also because they are extremely violent people who celebrate violence and see it as generally the first and only response to any and all conflict. The same reason why they assume that minorities will immediately oppress them given the chance. Conservatives, whether or not they have developed enough of a theory of mind to recognize it, generally assume that other people are just as bad as they are. AOC is just as violent and racist and classist as the Trump, she just hides it because she is an evil coward.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

You also have the simple fact that "Democrats in disarray" is an attack line that has been used for decades.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Munin posted:

You also have the simple fact that "Democrats in disarray" is an attack line that has been used for decades.

1609, London Gazette: "these felf-declared 'democratf' are in difarray"

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a friend who I thought was generally left leaning slowly descending into right wing territory.

I had a video game podcast on in the background, Pat the NES punk, at the same time when my friend showed up to hang out. He took a look at it and said "Pat's an rear end in a top hat."
I couldnt necessarily disagree, and I shrugged and asked, "why what's up?"
"The guy I watch said he called Diablo fans babies"
"Oh, yeah, whatever, not a good look.... who are you watching?"
"The quartering"

Yes, because THAT guy isnt an rear end in a top hat at all.

I then found out he didnt know that Shapiro and Crowder were considered alt right and that Shapiro was "not wrong" about his selling and moving away comment.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Sounds like a white guy that gets butthurt when someone tells him to not do something or 'insults' his hobby.