Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Goddamn, got a feeling that the city will scrape by this time but it is absolutely doomed. If New Orleans exists by 2030 I'll be surprised

this is kinda how I'm feeling, this is going to peter out (but still be pretty bad, just not catastrophic) and there's gonna be a lot of people going "See? Ha! Told you!" that won't evacuate when this happens again two years from now or whatever and will end up underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Log082 posted:

this is kinda how I'm feeling, this is going to peter out (but still be pretty bad, just not catastrophic) and there's gonna be a lot of people going "See? Ha! Told you!" that won't evacuate when this happens again two years from now or whatever and will end up underwater

Two months from now. This is the beginning of hurricane season.

Apparently, the river level should go down in the next few months though. At least it usually does.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Barry is a Cat 1 glancing blow, but is still projected to push the flood level within inches of the levee limits. Seems like a Cat 3+ direct hit with similar heavy rain beforehand would presumably just wipe the city. That seems... bad???

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I feel like maybe the levees should be reinforced a bit yeah

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

so how badly is nola hosed

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

from the /r/neworleans reddit:

First casualty of climate change lmfao nobody tell them about Mozambique.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Admiral Ray posted:

First casualty of climate change lmfao nobody tell them about Mozambique.

tell me about mozambique more plz

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Marzzle posted:

tell me about mozambique more plz

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/world/africa/cyclone-kenneth-mozambique.html

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Two months from now. This is the beginning of hurricane season.

Apparently, the river level should go down in the next few months though. At least it usually does.

yeah no way new orleans doesn't get hit with more huge storms this year if we're getting hurricanes already

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

so how badly is nola hosed

Hard to say. There's gonna be a lot of damage just from flooding, but the storms acting really funky so theres a solid chance the water levels stay below the levees

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bnut that doesn't mean the levees won't fail anyways.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

PostNouveau posted:

The Corps and authorities have been talking about "you might get a bit of spillover at 20 feet," but during Harvey, they talked about the two Houston earthen dams at the reservoirs that needed to hold, and how if one overtopped, the dam below the overtopping water would quickly crumble beneath the strength of the flow. I don't know how this stuff works, but why would the levees be different?

Water going over the top is real bad no matter what yeah. Houston was particularly dumb IIRC because the water was actually just going to go around the levee and erode from the side first.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big dam breach in Brazil a few days back after huge rainfall:
https://www.facebook.com/SuperCelula/videos/207699430134787/

quote:

Late this morning, the Quati Dam, located in Pedro Alexandre, northern Bahia, had part of its ruptured structure flooding areas of Coronel João Sá, a town 30 km from the site of the ruptural! Since the Cold Front arrived in Bahia Monday, a lot of rain fell between the north of the state and Sergipe! Even with FF moving away to the high seas, a channel of humidity and dug, provided conditions for the continuity of the rains, persistently! Just to get an idea, from yesterday to today, in 24 hours, it rained more than 180 mm, after the previous days it has rained a lot! There are still conditions for the continuity of the rains between that night and dawn, and it will happen tomorrow! That's why civil defense is warning cities along the route of the embankment so they can leave their homes! There is still the possibility of total rupture of the dam, which would greatly increase the volume of water in progress! 07/07/2019.

Akilles
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKLxoAPU1c

This video was posted a while ago, but is a good reminder that dams go from 'fine' to 'hosed' very quickly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I guess I probably should wait until October or something to visit my dad in Florida eh

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SKULL.GIF posted:

I guess I probably should wait until October or something to visit my dad in Florida eh

it's best to let him go, along with the entire state of florida. grieve for them now

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nah, remember when Jose lived through his hurricane? you'll be fine.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Who will rise to claim dominion over the aquapocalyptic ruins of the old world in the watery hell of new new Orleans 2020?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

In the future, new Orleans will be the chocolate city, not due to her demographics but due to the severe amount of human and pig poo poo that will be washed into her streets when the levees fail

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Over Easy posted:

In the future, new Orleans will be the chocolate city, not due to her demographics but due to the severe amount of human and pig poo poo that will be washed into her streets when the levees break

More like over big easy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

if New Orleans permanently floods this weekend, turning the city into just an extension of the Mississippi, how long until influences start going there to do photoshoots on the roofs of the half submerged buildings on Bourbon Street?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

if New Orleans permanently floods this weekend, turning the city into just an extension of the Mississippi, how long until influences start going there to do photoshoots on the roofs of the half submerged buildings on Bourbon Street?

while its still storming

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

You're really bumping up against Planck time there

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Barry is a Cat 1 glancing blow, but is still projected to push the flood level within inches of the levee limits. Seems like a Cat 3+ direct hit with similar heavy rain beforehand would presumably just wipe the city. That seems... bad???

welcome to how the world ends, not with a whimper but a self inflicted wound that everyone saw coming and decided not to do anything about it because corporate profits

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
corporate profits is definitely the reason i personally am not taking direct action

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Goon Danton posted:

When was the last time a major city was permanently destroyed and abandoned, anyway?

In a flood?

In the time of the Roman Empire the northern Netherlands looked this:

Throughout the middle ages in the Netherlands there were a great number of massive flood events called the Grote Menschenverdrinckingen (The Great Drownings of People), which were mass casualty events often killing tens of thousands of people. The one which most altered the landscape was the St. Lucia's flood of 1287, an event that killed about 50,000 people in the Netherlands (and about 30k more in England and France), and created a permanent inland sea:

Nobody really knows even which settlements were lost, and there were several other comparable storms which killed ~30k people. After seven hundred years of dam-building and land reclamation efforts, about half of the land lost to the St. Lucia's flood has been reclaimed.

In the south of the country, in Zeeland (aptly named Sealand), a combination of river floods and great Atlantic storms routinely altered the landscape throughout the Middle ages, drowning vast swaths of territory in flood/storm events. Because Zeeland is at the mouth of a river delta, it is especially prone to flooding. Here is a map showing some of the roughly 200 settlements that were completely under water for extended periods of time:

You can see that some of them later re-emerged as the landscape shifted again.

Many of these were villages, and some remains can be seen, such as the church tower of Koudekerk (No. 15 above):

Most of the town was located beyond the dyke, in the water.

Or this one on Google maps (Tolsende, no. 67):

Many ruins remained visible above water for many years, such as this castle, now gone:

Most of these sites were villages, however several were entire cities, such as Reimerswaal (number 57):

Now you don't lose a city like this overnight, but a series of storms will do the trick. Over a couple of decades a succession of storms wiped out some of the smaller buildings and caused a lot of damage to the buildings and walls, caused a lot of people to resettle elsewhere, drowned the land around it, caused stress to the dykes, and eventually a giant storm came, washed away the dykes, and boom, one day in 1570, no more Reimerswaal.

Here you can recognize the church tower and the one remaining battlements on high ground. Looks like they piled up some of the rubble into rudimentary dams.

The people living in the ruins all died when a fire destroyed everything two years later during the war, and another flood poured over the ashes, destroying all traces of the city.

twoday has issued a correction as of 13:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Addamere posted:

corporate profits is definitely the reason i personally am not taking direct action

It's about targeting the right sectors

twoday
May 4, 2005

It's raining here today too

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

it seems to be rising already before it was predicted?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That is an eerie goddamned photograph.

twoday posted:

Now you don't lose a city like this overnight, but a series of storms will do the trick. Over a couple of decades a succession of storms wiped out some of the smaller buildings and caused a lot of damage to the buildings and walls, caused a lot of people to resettle elsewhere, drowned the land around it, caused stress to the dykes, and eventually a giant storm came, washed away the dykes, and boom, one day in 1570, no more Reimerswaal.

(This is drawn from the same angle as above, you can recognize the church tower and the one remaining battlements on high ground.)

The people living in the ruins all died when a fire destroyed everything two years later during the war, and another flood poured over the ashes, destroying all traces of the city.

And this is eerily plausible for a few cities in the near future.

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its worth noting there were no failures of the river levees during katrina, it was the levees on the canals and pontchartrain. ofc the river only got 15 feet above sea level (which its already passed), not 19.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/1149451016481464320

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FWIW, the newscasters were saying yesterday that the levee situation in the West Bank looks worse than it is, and that the river is running right up to the levee, but they still have about 6 feet of room.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7lIGLchnQ

come down to lake pontchartrain, rest your soul and feed your brain

that's where you will get to see everything the water can be

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh it isn't a led zeppelin song (originally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhEa8vuP6U

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Any livestreams on this yet?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lix&gage=norl1&refresh=true

river level gauge

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I feel like maybe the levees should be reinforced a bit yeah

na

just abandon new orleans

same with florida

just human hubris and waste of money to build cities on a literal marsh that just basically recedes right into the goddamn ocean

they'll just be our climate change pripyat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

na

just abandon new orleans

same with florida

just human hubris and waste of money to build cities on a literal marsh that just basically recedes right into the goddamn ocean

gently caress off