Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MelancholyMark posted:

Lol Can you Feel the Love Tonight is pretty rough on the new soundtrack

Friend of mine says Be Prepared is absolutely butchered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Friend of mine says Be Prepared is absolutely butchered.

Wasn’t it a late addition? I seem to remember early reports that claimed it wasn’t going to be in the film at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t it a late addition? I seem to remember early reports that claimed it wasn’t going to be in the film at all.

I believe so, yes. It wasn't in the original soundtrack announcement.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah they're good chief

anyone who claims they're "grimdark" or uninspired is basically just saying they've never read the drat thing beyond that cropped "we did a genocide" panel. the comic is actually really, really good at threading the needle on addressing serious issues vs. maintaining tone, and the darkest it ever gets is just kind of vaguely melancholy (but still peppered with dumb jokes).

It's not even that his stuff is dark. It's actually not really that dark. As has been illustrated by people that pay more way more attention to his stuff than me Mark Russell is a writer who thinks he's writing clever satire but he's really writing surface level garbage that hits you in the face like a baseball bat with its clumsy messaging. Flintstones is bad in this way but his Snagglepuss is even worse because it deals with even more heavy issues that deserve a lot more care. In BSS a while back Archyduchess went into great detail about Russell's lazy execution of these ideas.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, seems pretty ham-fisted. I can see a ~Trump Voter~ having anguished remorse over his participation in mass murder ("we murdered those people, Barney...") but not taking the 747 view ("we participated in a genocide, Barney...").
:shrug:

X-O posted:

It's not even that his stuff is dark. It's actually not really that dark. As has been illustrated by people that pay more way more attention to his stuff than me Mark Russell is a writer who thinks he's writing clever satire but he's really writing surface level garbage that hits you in the face like a baseball bat with its clumsy messaging. Flintstones is bad in this way but his Snagglepuss is even worse because it deals with even more heavy issues that deserve a lot more care. In BSS a while back Archyduchess went into great detail about Russell's lazy execution of these ideas.

Being a Control Panel Goon, I love reading these anecdotes about the other subforums: like hearing tales of far-off lands... :sun:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLQ6SRH90s4

what the gently caress did they do

they turned it into spoken word

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

“Alright so we’re not doing Be Prepared in this version, right?”
“Nah, I don’t think it’ll be missed”
*soundtrack is announced*
“Oh poo poo the fans are pissed, we have to do the song but Chiwetel can’t really sing and the scene hasn’t been shot”
“gently caress it, just hand him the lyrics and have him Shatner it.”

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

"I'm not the lion they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no, I'm a Lion King!
Lion King shaking his mane up here alone"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
He kinda sounds like Jeremy Irons? To his credit.

But yeah... that's not a song.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Timby posted:

Fun Fact :eng101:

The original "Be Prepared" was not accidental in its use of the Boy Scouts motto along with fascist imagery reminiscent of Nazi Germany: that was an intentional dig at the Boy Scouts for being anti-LGBTQ.

Ironically, Disney had a very strained relationship with the gay community at the time, officially distancing themselves from "Gay Day" while also tacitly supporting it. :shrug:

Honestly, the new version wasn't as bad as I was expecting from y'all's posting, but his actual attempt at some operatic signing at the end was :yikes:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

In BSS a while back Archyduchess went into great detail about Russell's lazy execution of these ideas.

got a link to that? i'm curious to read it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Timby posted:

Oh

Oh no

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This Veronica Mars episode about the teacher accusation is

not great

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I asked about shows that feature depression a few days ago. I marathoned Euphoria tonight and it’s really good, the spiritual successor to Skins, though I do wish the characters were 10-15 years older because...

The reason I asked for the recommendation was that sad and depressing shows featuring characters I identify with help me work through my own poo poo, so maybe I should’ve been more specific. I should probably watch You’re The Worst.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

I asked about shows that feature depression a few days ago. I marathoned Euphoria tonight and it’s really good, the spiritual successor to Skins, though I do wish the characters were 10-15 years older because...

The reason I asked for the recommendation was that sad and depressing shows featuring characters I identify with help me work through my own poo poo, so maybe I should’ve been more specific. I should probably watch You’re The Worst.
It's going to depend on your specific experiences. You're The Worst, Bojack, Tuca and Bertie, F is for Family, Big Mouth, these have all resonated with me, especially T&B. I think it's easier to explore some of these themes in cartoons, and I don't tend to watch dramas but there are probably some good ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Mr. Robot kinda counts?

Ooh yeah Bojack is so so so good.

And yeah, Bojack being cartoon animals helps make the extremely dark plots palatable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you seen Six Feet Under? One of the characters, Billy, is bipolar and takes up a bit of screen time. His condition seems a bit theatrical to me though but I don't know much about the condition. Like sometimes he'll purposefully not take his medication to gently caress with someone he dislikes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, this episode's a loving trainwreck. I don't know how anyone thought this was okay.

e: It's picking up, I may have been premature

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s not explicitly about depression, but maybe Baskets? Each of the three main characters are dealing with difficult periods in their lives, disappointment with themselves, and issues with family. It’s a dramedy but it’s extremely earnest and heartfelt at times. There’s a couple episodes that have really resonated with me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not explicitly about depression, but maybe Baskets? Each of the three main characters are dealing with difficult periods in their lives, disappointment with themselves, and issues with family. It’s a dramedy but it’s extremely earnest and heartfelt at times. There’s a couple episodes that have really resonated with me.

:same: that's a good recommendation. The last few episodes of the first season really hit hard.

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you seen Six Feet Under? One of the characters, Billy, is bipolar and takes up a bit of screen time. His condition seems a bit theatrical to me though but I don't know much about the condition. Like sometimes he'll purposefully not take his medication to gently caress with someone he dislikes.

That's one thing that irks me in media; how bipolar characters are portrayed. Haven't seen 6FU admittedly, but characters always seem to be over the top and unstable, like the writers just googled it, read a webmd article and go 'perfect!'

One huge example is that episode of King of the Hill when Khan goes off his bipolar meds, and Hank and crew are trying to exploit his manic 'swings' to get him to design something.

Are there any nuanced/realistic portrayals of it in a show? Anything I've seen is usually 'He's off his meds! Oh my Godddddddd!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 12, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Anime on Netflix sounds like one of those shows that get buried with zero promotion and nobody remembers it a week after it comes out.

Noted flop Castlevania, question mark?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The episodes in season 2 of Baskets where he travels with Morpheus and Trinity the rest are one of the best arcs in recent television memory

precision fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 12, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, this episode's a loving trainwreck. I don't know how anyone thought this was okay.

e: It's picking up, I may have been premature

It's been a while since I watched the first couple seasons, but I think that episode's pretty good for reminding you that Veronica is still a teenager and she can be very, very wrong. I can see it being a lot harder to take the first half now, and it would seem less likely for a Veronica of today to take the view she does.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The original "Be Prepared" was not accidental in its use of the Boy Scouts motto along with fascist imagery reminiscent of Nazi Germany: that was an intentional dig at the Boy Scouts for being anti-LGBTQ.

Ironically, Disney had a very strained relationship with the gay community at the time, officially distancing themselves from "Gay Day" while also tacitly supporting it. :shrug:

Honestly, the new version wasn't as bad as I was expecting from y'all's posting, but his actual attempt at some operatic signing at the end was :yikes:

[citation needed]

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

X-O posted:

I know opinions are subjective so I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say you're both wrong because it's good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean is not a giant stretch really, aren't they all but officially Trump Youth at this point?

All this Lion King talk makes me want to watch it, the original that is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wanted to see the Lion King musical but found out tickets are like $300.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

More Broadway shows really need to get released on video.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

IRQ posted:

I mean is not a giant stretch really, aren't they all but officially Trump Youth at this point?

They severed ties with the Mormon church because they now allow openly gay scouts and girls into the organization, which is actually causing some funding issues at the moment cause the Mormons had become a major place of new scouts for the last decade and a half but that's mostly gone now. So to answer your question, much like all scouting, it probably depends on your local organization and their leadership.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

More Broadway shows really need to get released on video.

I mean, they all have plenty of cam versions floating around if you really want to see it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 12, 2019

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, they all have plenty of cam versions flossing around if you really want to see it.

I'm assuming not as good as the Hamilton one?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not my area. I've skimmed through a few to see if they're worth watching and the quality has varied pretty widely. I think there's a whole underground world of it out there that I'm not tapped into.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife saw Hamilton in Chicago on Saturday night. She said it was great!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

August 16th for Mindhunter season 2: This time they get the minds.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

August 16th for Mindhunter season 2: This time they get the minds.

I should finish the last episode of season 1 one of these days...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

My wife saw Hamilton in Chicago on Saturday night. She said it was great!

Hamilton is great but a lot of goons are 2kool4it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Hamilton is great but a lot of goons are 2kool4it

I'm just not a fan of musical theater.

Or people really.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want to see Hamilton but when it came to ATL it was sold out in minutes and gently caress tickets were expensive.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It's a weird show in general, you've got people of color cast as famous american figures, but then the show just tells a bunch of fake hagiographic stories about those people to make them look mostly pretty good. I imagine not having any familiarity with american history outside of propaganda and museum exhibits of old documents would help with enjoyment. One of the first times I saw what I could call conservative musical theater.

It falls into a category for me where I don't understand why they used that historical setting to tell the story they wanted to tell, when doing so requires altering people's perceptions of history to create your setting. Like there are better ways of creating characters than using highly powerful historical figures and padding them.

Feels like watching Little Bobby Liberal playing with America's loaded handgun, playing around, laughing and joking...pointing it in "jest" at his younger sister..acting like he's manipulating old forces to have new uses, but for something that always bends toward harm in the end.

Looking back I generally see whatever energy helped Hamilton was clearly the same wave of escapism and denial on all sides that led to Trump a year later. Hamilton is the musical theater equivalent to Hillary Clinton.

I mean....

we were THIS CLOSE to having Hamilton removed from the 10 dollar bill and Obama admin scrapped the plan after all the Hamilton love started to puddle on the floor.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was never really interested in Hamilton. Besides, from what I've heard, it's woke theater for white people.