Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

If you thought wrangling people in your twenties was hard just wait until you try in your thirties or even older.

While finding a full compliment may be a challenge (I know some Dune fanatics), in my experience getting people to make non-dipshit moves and derailing the whole thing will be the real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

cenotaph posted:

While finding a full compliment may be a challenge (I know some Dune fanatics), in my experience getting people to make non-dipshit moves and derailing the whole thing will be the real problem.

Dipshit moves is thematic. Only explanation for Duke Leto moving House Atreides to Arrakis, or Brian Herbert writing the gently caress awful sequels and prequels after his dad died.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
After the marcy case expansion, which time stories expansion should I get next? Does it have to be a specific one? Curious what people liked the best.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Michael Jackson eating popcorn.gif

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The End posted:

Dipshit moves is thematic. Only explanation for Duke Leto moving House Atreides to Arrakis, or Brian Herbert writing the gently caress awful sequels and prequels after his dad died.

Leto explicitly knew it was an ambush and just thought he could beat it. No clue on whatever the gently caress they've been doing to the series after Frank died tho

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jivjov posted:

I assume Food Chain Magnate wouldn't be available through normal distribution channels? My FLGS does a pay-as-you-can layaway program for regular customers and that's how I get most of my high-dollar board games these days...but I'm gathering that the guys who make FCM are a rather small time operation?

I can say that their NA distribution partner is 100% sold out, but yes, you may be able to find one-off copies at random FLGS. But sounds like not at your store offering layaway. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Leto explicitly knew it was an ambush and just thought he could beat it. No clue on whatever the gently caress they've been doing to the series after Frank died tho

as in you've deliberately not bothered so you dont know what's been happening or just looking and shaking your head?

*every single Dune character in the franchise is revived as a ghola and they team up and punch a robot while hopped up on super-spice*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gonna be honest, even Frank's stuff was getting pretty weird after about God-Emperor

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jabor posted:

gonna be honest, even Frank's stuff was getting pretty weird after about God-Emperor

Yeah, realistically, the only two good books in the franchise were Dune and God Emperor. The rest swung all over the compass from forgettable to loving weird to occassionally good and interesting. Brian's stuff started as weak clones of Dune in the direct prequels, then utter poo poo when it went to the Butlerian Jihad stuff. It was so bad I couldn't bring myself to read the 'final trilogy', but the plot summary Synthbuttrange tells you exactly what you need to know.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

tildes posted:

After the marcy case expansion, which time stories expansion should I get next? Does it have to be a specific one? Curious what people liked the best.

Print the free ones from BGG. Don't spend more money on a mediocre experience.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

aww jeez

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

tildes posted:

My understanding, from people who don't think the game is trash garbage, is that you can do them in any order, aside from the newest and "final" one, but since there is a "lore" component about the present-day in-game situation leading to these TIME Stories, you are best set up for the Christmas Story/Ovaltine ending by doing them mostly in order.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

I can say that their NA distribution partner is 100% sold out, but yes, you may be able to find one-off copies at random FLGS. But sounds like not at your store offering layaway. :(

The online sites have them for preorder. Game nerdz, minis market, and CSI. CSI always waits until a splotter is in so they don’t allow preorders but it’s been that way for years.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

The online sites have them for preorder. Game nerdz, minis market, and CSI. CSI always waits until a splotter is in so they don’t allow preorders but it’s been that way for years.

are you talking about the expansion? I think they are talking about the base game (which seems to be in stock at CSI but sold out at a lot of other online stores)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I missed it, but yes I was thinking the FCM expansion. I’ll be waiting for reviews about the modules myself; I only have roads and boats preordered.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

homullus posted:

My understanding, from people who don't think the game is trash garbage, is that you can do them in any order, aside from the newest and "final" one, but since there is a "lore" component about the present-day in-game situation leading to these TIME Stories, you are best set up for the Christmas Story/Ovaltine ending by doing them mostly in order.

Are there suggestions of better board games which still hit the mystery bits for people who don’t like heavy board games? I’ve heard the escape room games are ok? I’ve already played all the Sherlock games w them. The mechanics do feel a bit tacked on by and large.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

tildes posted:

Are there suggestions of better board games which still hit the mystery bits for people who don’t like heavy board games? I’ve heard the escape room games are ok? I’ve already played all the Sherlock games w them. The mechanics do feel a bit tacked on by and large.

Most of the boxed escape rooms are indeed pretty mediocre; I still buy them all for some reason. "Werewolf Experiment" is probably the best one available, if you want to dip in.

Also, we just went through Exit: Forgotten Catacomb, which is that series' first double-wide game. They used the extra space/budget to put another bog-standard Exit game in the box. And a candle. Pretty meh experience.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

tildes posted:

I haven’t played any of them but there is a few crime solving games out there. Chronicles of Crime and Detective come to mind. I know Detective is nominated for the Kinnerspiel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
NPI review of Pax Pamir 2e is up and is a really well done video. Probably their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu845yxoKjA

Chronicles is a neat little deduction game and Detective is just bad

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

NPI review of Pax Pamir 2e is up and is a really well done video. Probably their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu845yxoKjA

The only thing I know about Detective is you have to use a website and that didn’t sound fun at all to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

Is Detective that bad? I've heard differing opinions on it. SUSD said it was poorly written, but I don't take too much stock in what they say when it comes to stuff like that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah. It's a narrative game from Portal, the people that can't manage to write a coherent rule book.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did SUSD popularize leaning over neck high tables?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

al-azad posted:

Did SUSD popularize leaning over neck high tables?

if/when asked they respond with something akin to "that's the only way to shoot these things and have them still look nice/interesting".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SoftNum posted:

if/when asked they respond with something akin to "that's the only way to shoot these things and have them still look nice/interesting".

I'm glad I'm not the only person who asked because it always bugged me and now everyone is doing it!

I guess my niche to get into board game reviews is shooting Binging With Babish style videos where everything is from the neck down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When you're trying to get a shot of both the board and the person talking I'm not sure how else to do it unless you're specifically zoomed out to show off the board as a whole at the expense of detail.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

al-azad posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who asked because it always bugged me and now everyone is doing it!

I guess my niche to get into board game reviews is shooting Binging With Babish style videos where everything is from the neck down.

Get a sloped table and use double sided tape to affix the pieces.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bruceski posted:

When you're trying to get a shot of both the board and the person talking I'm not sure how else to do it unless you're specifically zoomed out to show off the board as a whole at the expense of detail.

CSO the reviewer onto the gameboard at 35mm scale.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Triskelli posted:

Get a sloped table and use double sided tape to affix the pieces.

Protected against cats AND good for filming! Is win-win!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

CSO the reviewer onto the gameboard at 35mm scale.

Okay, my new niche is public broadcasting bad chroma key style reviews where I'm walking on the board and poo poo.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

Okay, my new niche is public broadcasting bad chroma key style reviews where I'm walking on the board and poo poo.

no, that's still SUSD.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

We talk a lot of poo poo about SUSD, but I will always appreciate them for testing whether the boats in Container would float.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

pospysyl posted:

We talk a lot of poo poo about SUSD, but I will always appreciate them for testing whether the boats in Container would float.

Goons fail to understand (or ignore) that they are not SUSD's primary audience.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I know they don't like doing it, but I love the SUSD reviews where they don't like the game. Seafall, First Martians, Time Stories... or in the podcast when they made fun of the writing in that detective game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know they don't like doing it, but I love the SUSD reviews where they don't like the game. Seafall, First Martians, Time Stories... or in the podcast when they made fun of the writing in that detective game.

I mainly appreciate that even when they don't like a game they try and show it for what it is and what it's trying to be in case someone disagrees. And (usually) when they like something they still try to explain why and what might turn folks off. Whether I agree with a review or not I usually come away with a feel for the game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

The detective game one was incredible . It almost made me want to go and buy it for the Dark Place style writing

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I love that NPI have found their niche and it's "We review games that are good/popular that SU&SD won't like, so they don't have to!"

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Imagining board game reviews using the tricks from Lord of the Rings when they had Galndalf and the hobbits in the same shot. Weird trick furniture and giant oversized board game components.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

Imagining board game reviews using the tricks from Lord of the Rings when they had Galndalf and the hobbits in the same shot. Weird trick furniture and giant oversized board game components.

All presenters walking on their knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Dorf on Board Games. Literally just Tim Conway standing on top of a copy of Cosmic Encounter.