Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh, guess I never thought of the Prime membership as an annual fee analogue. What are some good rewards cards aside from this? I've had my Discover It for a while and have always wondered if I could do better

Me either - I had prime before I had the Amazon Visa. The extra 3% is just a bonus. Much like Costco membership.

I should compute what the Amazon Prime fee costs me vs 3% extra though. Maybe I'll do that this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I assume you mean 3% extra over just using a 2% card like Double Cash.

119 / 0.03 = 3,966.67

You'll have to spend $3966.67 a year to essentially pay for the Amazon Prime membership with the extra 3% cashback.

But considering that the Amazon Visa would get you 3% without prime, the extra 2% would pay off the membership after $5,950 in spending.

Both of these assume you spend enough each time to have qualified for free shipping without Prime. If you regularly purchase small items which would have shipping costs with them, that would lower the threshold.

I'll likely be canceling my Prime membership this year, as I don't think 2-day shipping is worth $119/yr minus what I get back from the extra cashback (which isn't the full bill as I don't spend thousands at Amazon a year). I generally buy enough to qualify for free shipping anyway.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 12, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Girbot posted:

119 / 0.03 = 3,966.67

You'll have to spend $3966.67 a year to essentially pay for the Amazon Prime membership with the extra 3% cashback.

I assume you read the post and they had amazon prime regardless of any credit card bonus, so yes 3% is more than 2%.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Dustoph posted:

I assume you read the post and they had amazon prime regardless of any credit card bonus, so yes 3% is more than 2%.

SiGmA_X posted:

I should compute what the Amazon Prime fee costs me vs 3% extra though. Maybe I'll do that this weekend!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Wow this loving blows. I feel like half the places I end up in I have to use the restaurant credit cause there's no lounge. Not a huge loss though since I got an Amex Plat for my corporate card though. Just have to fly delta or wait for more centurion lounges to open up. There are a lot under construction iirc.

Potentially good news if this is confirmed. Looks like CSR isn't losing restaurant/bar credits, just the Amex cards are.

https://thriftytraveler.com/amex-priority-pass-restaurant-credits/
https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/cbzu7i/chase_sapphire_reserve_is_retaining_priority_pass/

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Girbot posted:

119 / 0.03 = 3,966.67

But considering that the Amazon Visa would get you 3% without prime, the extra 2% would pay off the membership after $5,950 in spending.

Both of these assume you spend enough each time to have qualified for free shipping without Prime. If you regularly purchase small items which would have shipping costs with them, that would lower the threshold.

I'll likely be canceling my Prime membership this year, as I don't think 2-day shipping is worth $119/yr minus what I get back from the extra cashback (which isn't the full bill as I don't spend thousands at Amazon a year). I generally buy enough to qualify for free shipping anyway.

The numbers I'm interested in is what they were wanting to calculate, what the break even point is between 5% with a Prime Membership and 3% without

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Was thinking about signing up for a new Amex (the revamped gold), but got that signup bonus unavailable popup - probably because I canceled my SPG card recently since it was its first renewal after the earning rate was ruined and I no longer had reason to keep it.

I can probably put my spend on their cards for a bit to get rid of the popup, but that's extremely annoying.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I calculate the Amazon Prime video access as well in my valuation of my membership. That has proven invaluable a few times with my kids, so I continue to renew even though I have scaled back my Amazon shopping significantly.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I only refer to it as an "annual fee" because I don't use any of the other Prime services. When I got the card I did, but a year later I realized I was barely using any of them and suddenly my "no-fee" card was costing me like 100 dollars a year for an additional 2% which I wasn't really taking advantage of anyway.

It's still a real good card even at 3%.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The numbers I'm interested in is what they were wanting to calculate, what the break even point is between 5% with a Prime Membership and 3% without
I didn’t realize the non-prime Amazon card earns 3%, I was thinking it was 2%. But what I need to calculate is my spend at Amazon, compared to $4~6k.

Either or, it won’t get me to drop prime, but it’ll be interesting to see how much I spend. I’d have to add my parents spend in too as they use my family account.

I do use prime video, but pretty rarely. My parents use it a ton.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So what happens if you’re a Prime member, get the Prime Rewards VISA, then drop your Prime membership?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So what happens if you’re a Prime member, get the Prime Rewards VISA, then drop your Prime membership?

It goes down to the 3% version.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I looked at my Amazon spend per quarter in 2018 so I could account for the Discover IT Q4 cash back.

$2.8k total spend, $936 in Q4.
- $37 extra cash back Q1-3 by having Prime.
- $56 if I didn't consider the Q4 amount from Discover.
- $140 if I stick my head in the sand and consider using a no rewards card against the Chase Amazon card!

In other words, Amazon Prime cost me:
- $82 last year
- $1.58 per week
- $1.25 per order

Last year's spend/order count was also a lot higher than both prior years and this year due to some projects that I was doing.

What does Amazon charge for 1-2 day delivery if you aren't a Prime member?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there any downside to having a credit line significantly higher than I need if I’m not using all of it ever?

The sitch: I have a big one-time purchase coming up, so I called the CC company asking if there was any sort of temporary credit line increase or what my options were. They said no, but they could just raise the line (he was very clear about calling it a credit LINE instead of a LIMIT, not sure what the diff is there) if my numbers passed muster. They did, so I’m all set for now, but I’m wondering if I should have them reduce it back down when I’m done. To clarify, I’m not using the card for this purchase out of necessity, I can cover it, and I’ll pay it right after the transaction, I just want all them sweet sweet points.

So yeah, is having a card/line that is roughly 80% unused bad somehow? Not seeking any loans in the foreseeable future.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SiGmA_X posted:

I looked at my Amazon spend per quarter in 2018 so I could account for the Discover IT Q4 cash back.

$2.8k total spend, $936 in Q4.
- $37 extra cash back Q1-3 by having Prime.
- $56 if I didn't consider the Q4 amount from Discover.
- $140 if I stick my head in the sand and consider using a no rewards card against the Chase Amazon card!

In other words, Amazon Prime cost me:
- $82 last year
- $1.58 per week
- $1.25 per order

Last year's spend/order count was also a lot higher than both prior years and this year due to some projects that I was doing.

What does Amazon charge for 1-2 day delivery if you aren't a Prime member?

I dropped Amazon Prime out of my life several months ago to reduce my spending. When I've needed to order from Amazon, it's been very comparable in shipping times. It does help to be near a warehouse hub, it is all free shipping as far as I can tell.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Is there any downside to having a credit line significantly higher than I need if I’m not using all of it ever?

The sitch: I have a big one-time purchase coming up, so I called the CC company asking if there was any sort of temporary credit line increase or what my options were. They said no, but they could just raise the line (he was very clear about calling it a credit LINE instead of a LIMIT, not sure what the diff is there) if my numbers passed muster. They did, so I’m all set for now, but I’m wondering if I should have them reduce it back down when I’m done. To clarify, I’m not using the card for this purchase out of necessity, I can cover it, and I’ll pay it right after the transaction, I just want all them sweet sweet points.

So yeah, is having a card/line that is roughly 80% unused bad somehow? Not seeking any loans in the foreseeable future.

No. It should actually help your score since available credit is a fairly important factor. As long as you don't see your credit limit as actual money you can spend and end up just racking up debt, you're fine.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, I keep my card on 100% full autopay and just use it like a debit card that gives me fun money on amazon.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
For any Discover users, have you noticed any additional fees when using it? I know Discover and Amex are accepted less than Visa and MC due to higher fees, and that some businesses pass that on to customers.
I frequent a little cafe by my office, and I saw an additional 3.99% fee that I didn't notice when using a Visa. If that's the case, I'll have to stop using it there.

Otherwise, I'm actually loving the Discover It. Seeing as they double the cash back you get at the end of your first year, the 5% categories are going to end up being 10%, which is ridiculous. Even the 1% on everything else is going to end up being 2%, so I'll use it over my other 2% card because that one isn't 0% APR

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Simpsons Reference posted:

For any Discover users, have you noticed any additional fees when using it? I know Discover and Amex are accepted less than Visa and MC due to higher fees, and that some businesses pass that on to customers.
I frequent a little cafe by my office, and I saw an additional 3.99% fee that I didn't notice when using a Visa. If that's the case, I'll have to stop using it there.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-surcharge-confusion.php

quote:

The states with no-surcharge laws are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Puerto Rico also has a no-surcharge law.

Guessing you live elsewhere?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 14, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I thought that might be the case, so I made sure a transaction was over $10, and it still had that charge. Specifically said CC fee.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Even the 1% on everything else is going to end up being 2%, so I'll use it over my other 2% card because that one isn't 0% APR
All cards are 0% APR - don’t carry a loving balance.

I thought that might be the case, so I made sure a transaction was over $10, and it still had that charge. Specifically said CC fee.

Use a visa or Apple Pay?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

Or you could hold on to your money, mark it as spent, but have it continue to earn for you as long as possible . . .

There's plenty of area between, "give your money to credit card companies ASAP" and "spend spend spend, bill's not due for a year!"

0% APR and no-fee BT offers are valuable and no risk method of making some extra cash if you're responsible.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 14, 2019

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Girbot posted:

Or you could hold on to your money, mark it as spent, but have it continue to earn for you as long as possible . . .

There's plenty of area between, "give your money to credit card companies ASAP" and "spend spend spend, bill's not due for a year!"

0% APR and no-fee BT offers are valuable and no risk method of making some extra cash if you're responsible.
Fair point. I hadn't considered the first year 0% thing that many cards offer.

I definitely did not mean pay before your statement balance is due, either. I should have been more clear!

How has your experience been with Orion FCU? Reviews are mixed - bank reviews are always mixed though. 4% is better than 1.6~2.1% that my cash earns.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

For any Discover users, have you noticed any additional fees when using it?
Never, and it’s been my everyday card for years. I don’t live in one of the listed states, either.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

How has your experience been with Orion FCU? Reviews are mixed - bank reviews are always mixed though. 4% is better than 1.6~2.1% that my cash earns.

I haven't opened one yet since I have an LMCU account that earns 3% that isn't maxed out and I don't want the hard pull from Orion just yet. But I'll be opening one some day in the future.

Some people were reporting online access takes a couple days to set up and a few people were asked to email in documents, but aside from a few small standard hurdles for setting up the account people seem happy with it.

The huge $30,000 cap and easy monthly triggers for the APY/fee exemption are very nice though (bank-to-bank ACH counting as direct deposit, 8 card transactions such as Amazon reloads or hopefully Square which I use for LMCU without actually spending ANY money).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Use a visa or Apple Pay?

I think this should be "don't pay loving interest"

SiGmA_X posted:

Fair point. I hadn't considered the first year 0% thing that many cards offer.

Yeah, that's what I meant. There's no interest until February, so as long as I pay the minimum, I can run it as high as I want. Like, I'd rather have $3,000 sitting earning interest than pay it off as I go. I've started a sinking fund to retire my CC debt as it comes due.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

I think this should be "don't pay loving interest"
Yep, agreed.

Yeah, that's what I meant. There's no interest until February, so as long as I pay the minimum, I can run it as high as I want. Like, I'd rather have $3,000 sitting earning interest than pay it off as I go. I've started a sinking fund to retire my CC debt as it comes due.
Yeah that seems like a solid idea with how rates are these days.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Forgive me if this is the wrong topic, but quick question about credit cards and credit score: I think I recall seeing that to keep the best credit score, you should use each of your credit cards at least once per cycle, is that true? I'm just applying for a new one, and I know there's one(my Wells Fargo with the highest limit, only reason I keep it) that I don't use at all. I'm thinking I should just spread out my streaming subscriptions so each credit card has one so they're being charged, but just wanted to make sure this isn't just pointless. Thanks!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As far as I know, the only reason to charge something periodically is so that they won’t cancel the card for inactivity.

We’re currently buying a house, and none of the three credit report states anything like “credit line not used recently”, and we have a couple of cards that haven’t been used for five years or more.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Part of your credit score is utilization, the percentage of used credit of total credit. If a credit card is closed for inactivity your total credit goes down and your utilization goes up (assuming consistent spending), possibly resulting in a drop of score if your utilization goes up a tier (0-9, 10-29, 30-49, 50-74, 75+ according to credit karma). The advice to charge your cards periodically is to prevent them from being closed, although every cycle is extreme, I haven't heard of any card which will close for a single month of inactivity. Another, much smaller, factor of your score is number of accounts, which a closure could impact, although supposedly that could take years or even up to a decade if the closed cards continue to show up on your report for that long as some say.

I have heard of cards which will lower your available credit if it's constantly in the low single digits of utilization, but which cards that is, how high of a credit limit you had to what they'll drop it to, and how long it takes to trigger this response is unknown to me however.

Either way, putting a subscription service on a seldom used card and setting up autopay (which you should do anyway) is a solid choice.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2019

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Girbot posted:

I have heard of cards which will lower your available credit if it's constantly in the low single digits of utilization, but which cards that is, how high of a credit limit you had to what they'll drop it to, and how long it takes to trigger this response is unknown to me however.

I believe there were several data points of this happening with Amex (I think) recently.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

asur posted:

How do people feel about the limitations of credit card car rental insurance coverage? I believe it varies a lot between cards, but none seem to cover any injuries and a bunch don't cover the other car.

damage to another car and people is liability - amex used to offer liability as part of enhanced coverage, but no more. I don't think there is any credit card that offers liability.

When you rent - depending on state law - the rental agency will have at least state-minimum. If you have a car insurance policy with liability that will also protect you.

If you don't have any liability coverage through your own insurance company and you have any appreciable assets then you should look at non-owner policy, an umbrella policy that includes liability on rentals, or pay for the enhanced liability coverage through the agency.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for all the advice!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Figured I'd float this again. I got a few PMs to add some new cards, but no one ever follows up so :shrug:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we could add bank account referrals?

Schwab recently switched to a personal referral system (used to be a generic code).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Maybe we could add bank account referrals?

Schwab recently switched to a personal referral system (used to be a generic code).

I think the Schwab site is good as it is. I checked my referral, and I see that it's right. I changed the tab name to SchwabBank to make it clearer.

I also see some people added tabs for a few other cards. I added them to the main page as well. Thanks for participating.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Looks like Amex is killing off the gift card loophole for the travel credit which hugely hurts the value of the Amex cards in my view:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/r-i-p-giftcard-purchases-counting-towards-american-express-airline-incidental-purchases/

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not surprising since they just got dinged pretty badly in their stock due to the costs of their referral programs.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Anyone know if the Citi mailer loophole is closed? I dont seem to be receiving mailers anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

I added a few new CCs and Banks that were requested of me via PM.

Enjoy!