Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

M_Sinistrari posted:

I highly recommend Issac's Storm by the same author. It's about the 1900 Galveston Hurricane that completely devastated the city and killed approximately 20% of the population. It still remains the most deadly natural disaster in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane
https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/566950355/the-tempest-at-galveston-we-knew-there-was-a-storm-coming-but-we-had-no-idea

If you are ever in Galveston, go see The Great Storm. It's a film about the storm and the aftermath that plays at the Pier 21 theatre.

https://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/cultural-heritage/pier-21-theater-3

They had to burn the bodies of the dead on the beach because the tides kept washing them back onto shore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

it's about the birth of formalized scientific meteorology and how one guy used these techniques to say "hey there's a giant loving storm coming" and nobody believed him until whoops, thousands die

erik larson's other books that i've read:

thunderstruck, about the birth of wireless radio and how this technology was used to catch a murderer as he fled with his lover on a trans-atlantic cruise ship. previously they would have been able to disappear once the ship docked since they could travel faster than information but because of the wireless radio the cops were waiting as the ship came to port

in the garden of beasts: the american ambassador to germany immediately prior to ww2, as told through the diaries of his extremely horny adult daughter

dead wake: the torpedoing of the lusitania, with descriptions of the passengers aboard, the process of sinking, and the role submarines played in attacking civilian shipping

gently caress, I have to read like all of these

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Before I buy the book tho, how horny was the adult daughter?

please this is important

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dissapointed Owl posted:

please this is important

What if I told you that she referred to her vag as the garden of beasts?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

please this is important

They made an audiobook from her diary and it's something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j6muYHRX90

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Sounds less like a case of horniness and more of a clear warning sign

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

She was my ex fiancee???

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

please this is important

some of the men she slept with in one year in berlin

ernst hanfstaengel, hitler's close personal friend and advisor
ernst udet, research chief and theorist for the luftwaffe
max delbruck, physicist and biologist
rudolf diels, the head of the gestapo
boris vinogradov, diplomat and secret NKVD spy

hanfstaengel also tried to set her up with hitler himself

yeah she got around lol. kind of a lady james bond, she was a soviet spy for a few years because of her deep relationship with vinogradov (who was executed in the purges)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

pookel posted:

I mean, a small room with inset hooks in the walls is exactly what some people need for kinky activities, though. I'm not saying it seems harmless, just that it's not enough to prove someone's planning to murder anyone, because it's easily explained away with "we're into some weird poo poo and REALLY don't want anyone walking in on us."
The outside lock is a huge red flag for that, though. If the door could always be opened from the inside, that'd support a kinky explanation, but doing bdsm in such a way where someone can end up legitimately trapped and unable to escape is super dangerous. A lot of people put in a lot of effort to get the illusion of helplessness while still being safe, because nobody wants to re-enact Gerard's Game.

Like obviously this guy was building a creepy kidnapping murder room considering later context, but the specific details of the room he wanted doesn't support a consensual kink explanation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PetraCore posted:

Gerard's Game

"I didn't kill my wife!"
"Roll for persuasion...oof, a nat one. I don't care!"

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

luxury handset posted:

some of the men she slept with in one year in berlin

ernst hanfstaengel, hitler's close personal friend and advisor
ernst udet, research chief and theorist for the luftwaffe
max delbruck, physicist and biologist
rudolf diels, the head of the gestapo
boris vinogradov, diplomat and secret NKVD spy

hanfstaengel also tried to set her up with hitler himself

yeah she got around lol. kind of a lady james bond, she was a soviet spy for a few years because of her deep relationship with vinogradov (who was executed in the purges)

While Fascism/Nazism may be a disease, this is not how you catch it.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Speaking of odd, locked-from-outside rooms that are used for "music":

https://www.insider.com/jeffrey-epstein-private-island-temple-2019-7

quote:

Epstein built a stone mansion with cream-colored walls and a bright turquoise roof surrounded by several other structures including the maids' quarters and a massive, square-shaped white building on one end of the island. Workers told each other it was a music room fitted with a grand piano and acoustic walls.

quote:

Certain features of the "temple" raise even more questions. When INSIDER consulted James Both, a contractor and engineer based in Chicago, he first pointed to the wooden door. "It's styled like what you might see on a castle, with what appears to be a reinforcing lock bar across the face," he said. "What makes it peculiar is that if you wanted to keep people out, the bar would be placed inside the building, [but the] locking bar appears to be placed on the outside ... as if it were intended to lock people in."

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Obligatory mention of 'The Devil in the White City'. Come for the descriptions of the horrific yet banal cold-blooded murder of women and children alike, stay for the descriptions of the construction of the World's Fair.

Sure, I'm curious about whether Holmes will be caught when he tries to sell the bones of both mother and child to a local school, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that the Ferris Wheel might not be built on time for the grand opening with the Mayor, and on such unstable soil! Will the Pygmies cause havoc before the big show? Will the exotic swans escape the confines of the lake??

I did the same thing...I started off more interested in the Holmes stuff than the World's Fair...and by the time I was near the end, I was all "yes, yes...Holmes did a thing...but what about the Fair? How will they pull it off? I must know!"

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Martinpale posted:

I did the same thing...I started off more interested in the Holmes stuff than the World's Fair...and by the time I was near the end, I was all "yes, yes...Holmes did a thing...but what about the Fair? How will they pull it off? I must know!"

Or humming the tune they made up so the Arab exhibit would seem more exotic and realizing it's the snake charmer song from seemingly every TV show ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

buddhist nudist posted:

Yeah, but are you really gonna turn down paying work? In this economy? That serial killer couldn't negotiate for poo poo. We're charging him twice what we'd normally get.

That's why you build the thing and take the money and then immediately call the FBI afterwards. Jeez.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That doesn’t sound like a good way to get repeat customers or referrals.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Martinpale posted:

I have this suspicion that he originally just pitched a book about the World's Fair and then his editors came back and said "no one but nerds will buy this, find some way to jazz it up"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

showbiz_liz posted:

I have this suspicion that he originally just pitched a book about the World's Fair and then his editors came back and said "no one but nerds will buy this, find some way to jazz it up"

Nah thats just the kind of history nerd that he is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

showbiz_liz posted:

when i was in grad school we read the devil in the white city for the columbian exposition parts because it is a historic moment in american urban planning. but instead of an academic text it's a mass market paperback because there's also a true crime story in there too, meaning that instead of paying like $60 for the book i only paid $6 lol. thematically the stories go great together since holmes murders were enabled by the context of being in a rapidly growing american city in the industrial revolution

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Varkk posted:

That doesn’t sound like a good way to get repeat customers or referrals.

I can't imagine wanting to be the #1 contractor in the pedophile sex dungeon community.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

OutOfPrint posted:

I can't imagine wanting to be the #1 contractor in the pedophile sex dungeon community.

That's not the talk of a 'job-creator'.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A terrifying story that was new to me:

quote:

In December 1968, kidnappers abducted 20-year-old university student Barbara Jane Mackle from her family’s home in Coral Gables, Fla., drove her to a remote pine stand near Norcross, Ga., and buried her in a box. Inside she found this message:

DO NOT BE ALARMED. YOU ARE SAFE.

YOU ARE PRESENTLY INSIDE A FIBERGLASS REINFORCED PLYWOOD CAPSULE BURIED BENEATH THE GROUND NEAR THE HOUSE IN WHICH YOUR KIDNAPPERS ARE STAYING. YOUR STATUS WILL BE CHECKED APPROXIMATELY EVERY 2 HOURS.

THE CAPSULE IS QUITE STRONG, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BREAK IT OPEN. BE ADVISED, HOWEVER, THAT YOU ARE BENEATH THE WATER TABLE. IF YOU BREAK OPEN A SEAM YOU WOULD DROWN BEFORE WE COULD DIG YOU OUT. THE CAPSULE INSTRUMENTATION CONTAINS A WATER SENSITIVE SWITCH WHICH WILL WARN US IF THE WATER ENTERS THE CAPSULE TO A DANGEROUS DEGREE.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2019/07/06/instructions/

The note goes on in bizarrely excruciating detail about all the features of the capsule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Mackle_kidnapping

More details

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The note goes on in bizarrely excruciating detail about all the features of the capsule.

More details

That guy sure didn't serve much prison time yeesh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SilkyP posted:

I did some research and I think I might know why: Florida is in America

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I did some research and I think I might know why: Florida is in America

While that's true, the crime was committed in Georgia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doesn’t the US tend towards longer prison sentences?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only for non-whites

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

wikipedia posted:

The FBI was able to trace George Deacon to the University of Miami, where they realized he built ventilated boxes for a living.

Uh, ....huh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's because it happened before all the "tough on crime" bullshit really got rolling in the 70s and especially the 80s.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I first knew of the story from a Readers Digest version of the book many years ago; it's haunted me ever since, I think it was my first introduction to how a nerd would justify a crime like that by intricate details of the imprisonment but fail in the more obvious ways of covering up the crime.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I live in Lawrenceville and I've never heard of this :gonk:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh, not in Lawrenceville, no, it was a Decatur incident.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

luxury handset posted:

thunderstruck, about the birth of wireless radio and how this technology was used to catch a murderer as he fled with his lover on a trans-atlantic cruise ship. previously they would have been able to disappear once the ship docked since they could travel faster than information but because of the wireless radio the cops were waiting as the ship came to port

But presumably they could have just used the boring old telegraph to beat a transatlantic ship, right?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

More details

Oh, I've seen this CSI episode.

Also they let that guy go on to become a doctor for fucks sake

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

SilkyP posted:

How the gently caress do you get caught on a boat with $1,000,000 worth of coke and serve just five years?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

christmas boots posted:

Oh, not in Lawrenceville, no, it was a Decatur incident.

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!

septic tank installation

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

How the gently caress do you get caught on a boat with $1,000,000 worth of coke and serve just five years?

white

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

But presumably they could have just used the boring old telegraph to beat a transatlantic ship, right?

With what undersea cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

i didn't remember correctly - the captain of the ship was able to signal the cops before the ship sailed out of wireless range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Harvey_Crippen

Proteus Jones posted:

With what undersea cable?

the first transatlantic cable predates the american civil war