Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

Agency Backup is going to be the next upgrade I take in my Carolyn Fern Forgotten Age Deck.
Unfortunately Carolyn can't take Agency Backup, as she can only have up to level 3 Guardian cards in her deck. It's a shame, because she's definitely one of the Guardians most likely to have the economy to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I haven't picked up any of Circle Undone since I was taking a bit of a break from Arkham. Worth picking up or just wait for the next expansion?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Evilgm posted:

Unfortunately Carolyn can't take Agency Backup, as she can only have up to level 3 Guardian cards in her deck. It's a shame, because she's definitely one of the Guardians most likely to have the economy to afford it.

I forgot about that restriction because there wasn't really any high level guardian cards I wanted before. Shame.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Rhaegar posted:

I haven't picked up any of Circle Undone since I was taking a bit of a break from Arkham. Worth picking up or just wait for the next expansion?
'
I'm undecided on the player card but the campaign itself is really really cool in my opinion.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
It's way more narrative heavy than previous campaigns, but it's subsequently more immersive because of it. We've been enjoying it greatly.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Rhaegar posted:

Haven't gotten that far into the campaign, but the player cards design has been quite good this cycle - the tarot cards, enchanted blade, the rogue service tripple, mystic spells for both clues and combat with infinite uses, Drawing Thin and Crack the case as econ. The new Studios and Another Day, Another Dollar also seems good. I think this game still benefits from every pack, since we only get 10 or so player cards, so if it's an option to buy both I certainly would. Uncertain what Dream-Eaters will bring, vut it's also a few months away. Maybe buy the TCU deluxe only and see if you like it?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

New standalone scenario

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ooh, looks great!

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
So after playing through the core box and falling in love with it I splurged on a second core, the entire dunwich cycle and the return to dunwich legacy box.

How significant are the changes in Return to? Should I play through the vanilla campaign first and leave the return version for greater replayability down the line, or is it best to incorporate the changes on my first playthrough?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mecharasputin posted:

So after playing through the core box and falling in love with it I splurged on a second core, the entire dunwich cycle and the return to dunwich legacy box.

How significant are the changes in Return to? Should I play through the vanilla campaign first and leave the return version for greater replayability down the line, or is it best to incorporate the changes on my first playthrough?

Return to ramps the difficulty noticeably. It smoothes out some rough edges in the campaign, but at the expense of you having to know the scenarios pretty well, have an optimised deck with access to a large card pool, and just be pretty good at the game.

I'd recommend going vanilla and come back to Return once you have more Arkham experience under your belt.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Maybe swap in Resurgent Evils instead of Ancient Evils right away, though, especially if you're playing with a higher player count?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That's a good point. I do a flat 1:1 replacement of Resurgent Evils for every game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NRVNQSR posted:

Maybe swap in Resurgent Evils instead of Ancient Evils right away, though, especially if you're playing with a higher player count?

100% do this, I have a rant upthread about the wonky math Ancient Evils uses to gently caress over the investigators at any player count above solo and Dunwich is pretty infamously egregious for it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Bunch of Dream-Eater cycle stuff was streamed a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXitACLFXiQ

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
Before the Black Throne cards

https://imgur.com/a/NqFKtxP

Impressive stuff for pretty much everyone in there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

if you're like me and hate trying to read rotated images I remade the album with 10 seconds spent fixing it

https://imgur.com/a/0e0x3tm

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
The bonded cards seem very strong for 0 XP, although I guess the restrictions on them (one per deck, take up a slot) make them less so. I really like the 2 XP "I've had worse" because that's a fantastic card that at 4 XP is usually out of reach, so a stepping-stone version is very very nice. Wither is still garbage, upgraded Sixth Sense is pretty amazing. Eucatastrophe is a really neat card, since unlike most of the Survivor cards on that theme it doesn't exile which makes it a pretty good early game buy. It also opens up some interesting plays on harder difficulties to try to intentionally trigger it on a weak skill to pass with the elder sign.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Double double could be hilarious in a Sephina deck

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Eucatastrophe could be totally broken on Yorick and Silas.

Yoricks elder sign returns any card from the discard to his hand, including another Eucatastrophe or a Resourceful.

Silas can chain it alternating Eucatastrophe -> Resourceful similarly.

The only limiting factors are taking the right skill checks and getting down to 0 total skill points, and cash.

Spritz3
May 3, 2009
It's even better than that for Yorick: rules-as-written he just needs one copy of Eucatastophe and it can return itself to hand.

I don't know whether to expect an erratum or developer FAQ about this card, but it's a possibility?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I splurged and bought two of Team Covenant's nice Forgotten Age themed "mythos boards" to go along with the two other generically Arkhamed themes boards, for the few times that I actually have four players. Plus, it should make my girlfriend and I's descent into that campaign a bit more memorable.

I can't recommend TC's tokens and boards enough. If you got some money to burn, definitely check them out. Their stuff plus some 25mm coin capsules for the chaos tokens (and circular player portraits that I printed myself) have been the best upgrades I've ever done for a game that I own.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

One of our investigators in our Forgotten Age has managed to climb all the way up the weakness ladder to that one (you are killed) with two datapacks to go. Whats the policy on adding new adventurers mid-camapign? Full xp to match ours? We can't have him come in with 0xp, hed be a liability when we've got 40+.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
*In general*, zero xp (barring some scenarios explicitly acknowledging murdering investigators). How would Charon's Obol sting otherwise?

Having said that, either bullshit something to taste or accept it as a deckbuilding challenge (concoct a deck that doesn't need much to hit its stride, like a bunch of them do).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shrecknet posted:

One of our investigators in our Forgotten Age has managed to climb all the way up the weakness ladder to that one (you are killed) with two datapacks to go. Whats the policy on adding new adventurers mid-camapign? Full xp to match ours? We can't have him come in with 0xp, hed be a liability when we've got 40+.

I'm not sure why we're spoiling this, as I think all the weaknesses in that chain are in the big box for whatever it came in and weaknesses are more or less common knowledge for players, but....

Swap it out for like two or three other weaknesses. "Haha you drew a card in three different games and now you're dead" is absolutely garbage game design, our group generally doesn't even keep that one in the weakness pool because a card that does nothing at all until it suddenly kills you - and by design can only kill you midway through a campaign - just isn't fun to try to work with on any level.

e: VVV this is a better answer for your specific situation, now that they've gone through the whole chain already

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 26, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

0xp is bullshit. We let people use the stand alone rules with max xp equal to the party's.

This means more weaknesses but less trauma.

You're also inclined to not take every last bit of xp.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I'm not sure why we're spoiling this, as I think all the weaknesses in that chain are in the big box for whatever it came in and weaknesses are more or less common knowledge for players, but....

Swap it out for like two or three other weaknesses. "Haha you drew a card in three different games and now you're dead" is absolutely garbage game design, our group generally doesn't even keep that one in the weakness pool because a card that does nothing at all until it suddenly kills you - and by design can only kill you midway through a campaign - just isn't fun to try to work with on any level.

e: VVV this is a better answer for your specific situation, now that they've gone through the whole chain already

From a design perspective I think it's supposed to be a damper on decks that draw like mad.

Like for example the Minh Stones deck, which wants to draw it's whole deck 2 or 3 times per scenario.

Unfortunately it just doesn't work, because you won't even start a campaign if you draw that weakness and were planning to go into a deck like that because it's guaranteed death in the scenario in which you manage to assemble your engine. And then on top of that you can still just randomly die off of unlucky draws even if you don't play a single card draw in your whole deck.

Maybe they went with trying to teach players the campaign isn't over if they lose an investigator, kind of like how Forgotten Age teaches players not to be allergic to trauma, but eh, that's just a bridge too far for me, especially with the rules on new investigators as written. What KPC_Mammon suggests is a lot better.

Lastly, that Minh Stones deck is the most busted deck I've played, to the point where it's the only thing banned at our table. I near completely solo'd the final scenario of a 2-man Carcosa campaign and dominated the previous 4 scenario's while still more than carrying my weight in the first 3 scenario's. My friend playing Jim started feel obsolete from real early into the campaign and it only got worse. The only things I can think of that can gently caress up that Minh deck are the weaknesses that punish heavy draw, like the one that removes cards out of your deck, or the 10 damage encounter card in Dunwich.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My group also doesn't include that weakness in the draw because as soon as it came out I immediately pointed out how bullshit it is lol

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We have a three-player group taking a LONG (insane work schedules) time to work through Dunwich cold. Averaging 1 scenario per month and next up is Where Doom Awaits.

I'm getting zero play in otherwise and my collection is holding three mid-campaign decks built for Rex, Zoey, and Sefina.
Have 2 cores plus all currently released campaigns and all standalones except Labyrinths.

What's a good way to scratch the itch without impeding future group play?
Try solo runs through a campaign not likely to get played by us soon? Play two investigators for less swingy luck dependency?
Use a campaign like Forgotten Age and get totally spoiled on it knowing we'll probably do Carcosa or Circle Undone next?
Any of the standalones well suited to solo or duo play? Better to save for groups of actual players?
I control their decklists so I could pull out the ones I'll have to borrow for my own play and hand them back before our group scenarios.

You are Dead could be watered down to Take (x) Physical and (x) Mental Trauma. A crippling result but still a chance to hang in there.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've only played 2-3 scenarios of Forgotten Age, but if the trauma's really that bad across the campaign, then maybe the killer weakness (plus a house rule of not starting at 0xp again) is a way to give you a refreshed character with no trauma.

I mean, it's not, but it did come in the same box, so :shrug:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Play Forgotten Age yourself using 2x investigators solo.

That campaign is less likely to be spoiled by playing it again.

You can also find some scenarios released by fans online to print out and play too!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm going into Carcosa blind with a kill-kill-kill and get clues focused Roland and a somewhat clue-gathering-but-also-able-to-fight Agnes.

Curtain Call kicked my dick in though, as I think I got unlucky and didn't draw poo poo for Agnes and she failed a mental test for like -4 horror at once, and had a ghost on her that kept hitting her for only health and no mental while her being unable to hit back due to no Shriveling out yet and an intellect of only 2 to the ghost's test of 3.

Then Roland got stuck at a location with a pretty lovely enemy on him and no clues on the location... AND a Spires of Carcosa on it. "Cool, the Doom probably counts as clues so I can kill stuff with +3 on my signature gun ANDget the doom off as if it was clues" -- NOPE. Doom is NOT clues and only way to get doom off was to use that card's investigate apparently. Plus, fun fact, in regards to Roland's weakness: "You cannot trigger Cover Up if there are no clues on your location."

Nothing like feeling like I was doing well with at least Roland only to realize I had interpreted the rules wrong!

I'm curious if maybe we picked the wrong investigators for Carcosa? We played Pete and Jenny in Dunwich and always felt kinda behind on fighting, so I picked these and my partner really likes the idea of Agnes-- so if we gotta swap it's probably gonna be me out of Roland. I'm hoping that I maybe just got pretty unlucky.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 29, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well you've got 2 investigators who are great at fighting and ok at gathering clues. Make sure you load up on clue-gathering cards and you can be alright. Good luck with Roland's sanity in Carcosa though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Orange Devil posted:

Well you've got 2 investigators who are great at fighting and ok at gathering clues. Make sure you load up on clue-gathering cards and you can be alright. Good luck with Roland's sanity in Carcosa though.

Yeah, I am kinda realizing that w/r/t sanity. I think the two decks I picked may have been made more for Dunwich than Carosa.

I think I've got all of the clue gathering I can think of for each though.

edit - Maybe I'll go with Finn instead of Roland.

edit edit - Maybe not since Agnes already is running ol' Big Man on Campus

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 29, 2019

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I think it is better to er on the side of more cluing than fighting. Clues are how you usually finish missions, so the faster you get them the fewer monsters you end up drawing.

It's also easier for a primary cluer to provide some clutch damage vs bosses than a primary fighter to meaningfully aid in cluing.

2 cluers and 1 monster Hunter is our preferred 3 player setup for this reason.

I'd definitely not take Agnes and Roland as a team in most scenarios.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Agnes and Roland are both ok enough at getting clues that you can get away with them as a dynamic duo. You gotta bring all the clue cards from flashlights on up though. Like if you're thinking, "Hmm do I really need another clue card or can I get away with this cool extra combat trick or overall neat card instead?", pick the goddamn clue card.

Your biggest risk with this duo is not having anything to do at the start of the game because you didn't get any active clue cards (a good bunch of them are conditional, ie. passive).

For this reason Stand Together seems like a mandatory early upgrade so you have a lot more chances to not end up standing around with your dicks in your hands at the start of the game. Art Student is a legit pick-up for Roland, especially given this duo and campaign. Get that clue, then use it as ablative sanity-armor.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 29, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah with Curtain Call we basically had the problem of not drawing any tools we need and getting swamped in the first 4 turns. It was a real kick in the teeth for us trying to break open a new highly lauded campaign after kind of slogging through Dunwich with only decent-at-fighting characters for that fight-heavy campaign (plus having to cheat and re-roll chaos bag draws at least twice a scenario to have any semblance of fun instead of just failing everything).

The above is why I'm kind of being extra careful about picking a good combo this time.

I'll look into replacing Roland with something more clue gathering like Finn deck to compliment Agnes. My girlfriend really likes the idea of Agnes for now and it looks like Carcosa has a lot of horror for Agnes to shine in. So I just need to find a good compliment to the Waitress now.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 29, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/6292/cluefinder-finn-multiplayer-expert-1.0

This Finn decklist is amazing at gathering clues and comes online with very little experience.

Your main downsides are going to be that Agnes is very draw dependent (due to being a Mystic) and thus slow to come online both for the campaign and possibly for each scenario. Finn can get a flying start though, and he can evade enemies you don't need to kill (non-hunters in out of the way places) so he can help Agnes save up those Shrivelling charges for enemies that really matter. Curtain call is probably always going to be tough, just because it develops into a rather nasty little scenario at the end and Rogues and Mystics are the weakest investigators when at 0 XP.

Also protip, make sure to bring Fine Clothes which you replace after the 2nd scenario. Finn can use Adaptable for this if you've got no better way to replace them.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

jeeves posted:

I'll look into replacing Roland with something more clue gathering like Finn deck to compliment Agnes. My girlfriend really likes the idea of Agnes for now and it looks like Carcosa has a lot of horror for Agnes to shine in. So I just need to find a good compliment to the Waitress now.

Agnes can be stupid good in Carcosa, to the point where you really don't need a second fighter.

Clue focused Carolyn Fern is the best team up for Agnes.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Carolyn and Agnes looks as broken as Zoey and Rex on Dunwich, jeez.

I was looking into a semi-fightable Finn that has a lot of card recursion via Scavenging. Like this or this.

Maybe I'll just go straight clue gathering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you do go with Finn post the results after your playthrough.

That Finn deck posted above was stupid good until the taboo list hit and I've been looking for an alternate role for him.