Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Caidin posted:

Hey I'm bumming along through the plot without really stopping to do side errands for most people so I may have missed this already but can someone outline this anti dragon holy war Ishgard seems to be conducting without being too spoilery? I'm still on route to grabbing the airship.

In a nutshell Ishgard and dragons have an ancient blood feud and have been fighting bitterly for a thousand years. It will get dealt with extensively once you get to the Heavensward expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Caidin posted:

Hey I'm bumming along through the plot without really stopping to do side errands for most people so I may have missed this already but can someone outline this anti dragon holy war Ishgard seems to be conducting without being too spoilery? I'm still on route to grabbing the airship.

it's mostly just backdrop to the locale in ARR but it's expanded on in HW. all you really need to know at this point is that if someone is accused of "heresy" in this context it means that they chose to ally with the dragons against Ishgard.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Caidin posted:

Greater Dragons are basically immortal and have LONG loving GRUDGES.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 12, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also Elves Elezen are loving assholes.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ChaseSP posted:

Also Elves Elezen are loving assholes.

They also own

In short, Ishgard is a land of contradictions

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The lore of Dark Knight is that the church elves are big old pedophiles and so a job had to be made to :killing:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My interpretation of SHB endgame reveals is that the Amaurotines didn't really sacrifice themselves for the greater good. It's how Emet-Selch justifies it, but they were really sacrificed to maintain their power, which is ironically the power that brought about their doom. The 14th Ascian and Hydalaen represent the opposite of that - sacrificing power to save lives - which is the truly moral solution to the dilemma.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, I got Skalla for 567DR today and the healer complained when I pulled big, saying "it won't make it go faster" (lmao), then proceeded to never dps anything at all, including by using Assize. I ignored them for the most part, but then near the end of the dungeon they said they were going to report all of the rest of us for being bots, I guess because we never said anything to them, and then left. One of the weirder experiences I've had in this game.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fister Roboto posted:

My interpretation of SHB endgame reveals is that the Amaurotines didn't really sacrifice themselves for the greater good. It's how Emet-Selch justifies it, but they were really sacrificed to maintain their power, which is ironically the power that brought about their doom. The 14th Ascian and Hydalaen represent the opposite of that - sacrificing power to save lives - which is the truly moral solution to the dilemma.

......how did you come to *that* conclusion?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arist posted:

Lol, I got Skalla for 567DR today and the healer complained when I pulled big, saying "it won't make it go faster" (lmao), then proceeded to never dps anything at all, including by using Assize. I ignored them for the most part, but then near the end of the dungeon they said they were going to report all of the rest of us for being bots, I guess because we never said anything to them, and then left. One of the weirder experiences I've had in this game.

Why were you not "respecting the content"?!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The whole Ascian plot is like a remix of IX's Terra - there it was an advanced race that'd figured out how to become immortal, but at the cost of needing to seek out younger planets to merge Terra with them and consume them because the process of staying eternal weakened the core of their world necessary for life. Here it's the original world, but the net goal is still "the Ancient Race wants to wipe out the current civilization to supplant it with their own" (come to think of it, that was Zemus's aim in IV, too...) For all that he talks of incomplete people, Emet-Selch glossed heavily over what the rest of anyone was doing at the time of the cataclysm and after it - and what really set off Hydaelyn's gang, or how she was powerful enough to Sunder Zodiark in the first place, or such-forth. His tale is more "we just wanted to save the world and then sacrifice the free-loading squatters to carry on from where we left off, but then Mean Ol' Hydaelyn ruined everything." Could be as he's not quite privy to the details himself, but you don't have to outright lie to craft a skewed narrative, either.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Arist posted:

Yesterday I had the opposite - a WHM in EXDR who spammed Glare most of the time, including when a) the tank made a big trash pull and ran out of cooldowns (they died), and b) both DPS were under 20% health on the 1st boss (we died, unavoidable AoEs). Felt like I was raiding in EverQuest again, grouped with a lovely Druid who claimed that spamming Fire spells on Fire-resistant mobs instead of occasionally healing the group was min-maxing.

The community has so many oddballs in the post-early access/early expansion period.

isk fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 12, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

......how did you come to *that* conclusion?

Because that's exactly what happens? The Amaurotines had power. Their power brought about the doom. They summoned Zodiark and sacrificed their people to maintain their power. Hydalaen sundered their power. Emet-Selch planned to sacrifice more people to restore their power, and he think it's the right thing to do because he doesn't consider beings of lesser power to even be alive, moral relativism and all that. What other interpretation is there?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

got orbonne in my ADR last night. i expected the worst since people got real bad at it by the end of stormblood but it went surprisingly well

i miss orbonne what a good-rear end raid

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fister Roboto posted:

Because that's exactly what happens? The Amaurotines had power. Their power brought about the doom. They summoned Zodiark and sacrificed their people to maintain their power. Hydalaen sundered their power. Emet-Selch planned to sacrifice more people to restore their power, and he think it's the right thing to do because he doesn't consider beings of lesser power to even be alive, moral relativism and all that. What other interpretation is there?
Regarding this topic, I don't think the Amaurotinos caused the calamity in question, at least not in the sense of being responsible for it beginning (obviously they were responsible for all the poo poo like creating Zodiark). I think Jenova landed on the planet or something and they just couldn't deal. Or maybe it was something like Midgarsormr.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

I got kicked from a group the other day because I never talked and so they thought I was a bot for some reason. Happened right at the last boss too, it was really weird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maybe y'all should say hi to people, I usually say "hi folks" while zoning in and remark on funny glams/names/people doing stuff for the first time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

Regarding this topic, I don't think the Amaurotinos caused the calamity in question, at least not in the sense of being responsible for it beginning (obviously they were responsible for all the poo poo like creating Zodiark). I think Jenova landed on the planet or something and they just couldn't deal. Or maybe it was something like Midgarsormr.

Well it couldn't have been Midgardsormr or there would be dragons on the First. Besides, the actual cause of the doom is irrelevant because it's explicitly stated that the Amaurotines' power of conception is what brought it to apocalyptic levels, as their fears were made manifest. It could have been caused by something as simple as some idiot stubbing their toe.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Couple pages behind, but thousand maws is the only dungeon in the entire game I don't like, and that's probably because it's basically a wow dungeon. It feels so out of place with the surrounding content because it's just kind of a corridor of boring rear end monsters where nothing interesting happens.

Also you get synced to a really awkward level.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Nessus posted:

Maybe y'all should say hi to people, I usually say "hi folks" while zoning in and remark on funny glams/names/people doing stuff for the first time.

I usually try to say hi at least, but using a controller to type in the chat is frustrating sometimes. This game is really making me want to build a PC.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fister Roboto posted:

Their world was dying and they wanted to save their people? At the end, his series of power-ups aren't "Look at all my awesome loving power!", it's "I am powered by friendship and will defend the hopes and dreams of my people!".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

I give it a fifty-fifty shot. It's never explicitly stated how the calamity began, and it certainly could've been because the ancients messed up their own world utilizing their own magic. We know their creation magic is very similar to the sort of magic used to conjure a primal, and while it's theorized that it was not taxing for them or their world because the ancients were possessed of relatively enormous amounts of aether, it's not unreasonable to surmise that a problem emerged when someone was attempting a larger scale conjuring. Or maybe it was many such incidents which added up over time, each causing small disruptions until it became too much for the planet to bear.

Or it could've been a natural catastrophe/outside force. Either could be used to further the narrative so I don't see an obvious answer here, but I think it's reasonable to doubt Emet-Selch's accounting of events, as he clearly carries more than a little bias with him, especially if what he said about being tempered is true. So yeah, it could go either way in my view.

Sleng Teng posted:

My DoH jobs won't be reaching 70 anytime soon but I'll be sure to remember to use all the coffers for this when they are. Thanks for the tip!

It's pretty good, and it also works for grand company deliveries. Some leves can get you as much EXP as a third of a level (generally single turn-ins for gear and not materials) with a HQ delivery, so I see it as very worth it to check GarlandTools and maybe do a few sidequests on a DoW/M you want to level to get more boxes.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well it couldn't have been Midgardsormr or there would be dragons on the First. Besides, the actual cause of the doom is irrelevant because it's explicitly stated that the Amaurotines' power of conception is what brought it to apocalyptic levels, as their fears were made manifest. It could have been caused by something as simple as some idiot stubbing their toe.

I'm pretty sure the history of Midgardsormr is established as such that he made a pact with Hydaelyn immediately after arriving on the planet, so it seems exceedingly likely he arrived post-sundering.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 12, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Their powers didn't cause the actual calamity, something started the events and it snowballed from there. Saying its their fault isn't really much different that saying that the shards need to be rejoined because someone is using the peoples own desires to cause calamities.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

I usually try to say hi at least, but using a controller to type in the chat is frustrating sometimes. This game is really making me want to build a PC.

make a macro that does /p hi and put it on a button

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I have learned in new content as dps during fights to typically just follow what the healer or tank do in regards to movement or positioning for mechanics I don't know, because they ussually know what to do to survive, and 9 times out of 10 I'm still alive and the BLM or Dragoon just ate poo poo because they didn't.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

99% of runs I give some variation of Hello and then that’s it. If I gently caress up then I throw out a Sorry or if someone else does then a No Prob.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

Their world was dying and they wanted to save their people? At the end, his series of power-ups aren't "Look at all my awesome loving power!", it's "I am powered by friendship and will defend the hopes and dreams of my people!".

How is murdering 3/4 of your people saving them? Especially when there's an alternative that doesn't require sacrificing lives, but does require sacrificing power. The fact that Emet-Selch considers that alternative to be the worse choice is how I came to that conclusion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Their powers didn't cause the actual calamity, something started the events and it snowballed from there. Saying its their fault isn't really much different that saying that the shards need to be rejoined because someone is using the peoples own desires to cause calamities.

Post-MSQ

We don't know that they didn't trigger the initial event, and nobody has said what it was. Some repressed fear, some repressed rage leaking into their creation magics maybe? Maybe some Persona-style repressed issue in society made manifest, which slowly cascaded into larger and larger problems until it went rampant. Maybe it was nothing. Some rumor that the city across the sea is having problems? Well poo poo, that might happen here too. And as the rumor spreads, more and more of it leaks into their creations.

That would be far more interesting to me than space aliens loving up the planet.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

i poop fire posted:

make a macro that does /p hi and put it on a button

Typing out "hi" in the chat isn't an issue, it's wanting to talk about anything else in a timely manner that's annoying. Also, cycling through multiple hotbars isn't too fun either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GTFO if you don't start every dungeon with a hardy lali-ho.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

who made Omega

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fister Roboto posted:

How is murdering 3/4 of your people saving them? Especially when there's an alternative that doesn't require sacrificing lives, but does require sacrificing power. The fact that Emet-Selch considers that alternative to be the worse choice is how I came to that conclusion.

Post-MSQ

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but as far as we're told, every Amaurot that died to Zodiark's summoning willingly sacrificed themselves, with the plan to be reincarnated later once they could harvest lesser beings. Not good, but I wouldn't call it murder. Well, except sacrificing the others

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Vitamean posted:

who made Omega

I don't think even omega knows.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

GTFO if you don't start every dungeon with a hardy lali-ho.
:hmmyes:

On the spoiler issue, it's the classic Monsters from the Id, although given that we were in an undersea City of the Ancients I was probably primed to think of Jenova. I think they talk about how it's actually corrupting things in some way, don't they? The other advantage of this is that it means they have something to use after we gently caress up the Ascians and kill/reform/reform-by-8-man-trial Zodiark.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Veib posted:

The best Urianger moment in Shadowbringers is when even he can't believe that Thancred actually listened to (some of) his bullshit lectures about the Fae culture.

I thought that was really cute.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nessus posted:

:hmmyes:

On the spoiler issue, it's the classic Monsters from the Id, although given that we were in an undersea City of the Ancients I was probably primed to think of Jenova. I think they talk about how it's actually corrupting things in some way, don't they? The other advantage of this is that it means they have something to use after we gently caress up the Ascians and kill/reform/reform-by-8-man-trial Zodiark.

what if Elidibus...isn't an Emissary for us? :tinfoil:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Vitamean posted:

who made Omega
aliens

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Post-MSQ

We don't know that they didn't trigger the initial event, and nobody has said what it was. Some repressed fear, some repressed rage leaking into their creation magics maybe? Maybe some Persona-style repressed issue in society made manifest, which slowly cascaded into larger and larger problems until it went rampant. Maybe it was nothing. Some rumor that the city across the sea is having problems? Well poo poo, that might happen here too. And as the rumor spreads, more and more of it leaks into their creations.

That would be far more interesting to me than space aliens loving up the planet.

I think it'd definitely also fit into the idea of splitting their power being a good/necessary act by Hydalaen. It's common trope in fantasy where there's immortal beings that moral beings tend to live more "meaningful" existences, and how imperfections are what make things beautiful and special. Isn't there a lot of stuff in the game that touches on those elements, the stuff about rejoining the lifestream and such? The Ancients might have been perfect and "unflawed" but what was there to prevent them from stagnating? Maybe I got the wrong idea, but it felt like they had a very sterile society: having to wear identical robes to promote conformity/unity, creations going through bureaucracy, being led by a council? Wasn't there also some stuff about people running out of things to create?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Post-MSQ

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but as far as we're told, every Amaurot that died to Zodiark's summoning willingly sacrificed themselves, with the plan to be reincarnated later once they could harvest lesser beings. Not good, but I wouldn't call it murder. Well, except sacrificing the others

Do we even know there were lesser races? Is that some NPC somewhere I didn't talk to or some bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There was a Shade you could speak to who worried that one day they could run out of new things to create and become stagnant from the lack of any more creative use for their own powers, who then said you're too young to worry about such thibgs