Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't believe you'd make really bland labels like GAME ROOM instead of using these giant letters for glorious shitposting.

THIS IS MAH SWAMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It has to be a boomer thing, my parents remodeled the first floor of their house and put labels on all the doors.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"behind one of these doors is a deadly pit of vipers. behind the other is the guest bathroom. you must answer a riddle to determine the true path"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luxury handset posted:

"behind one of these doors is a deadly pit of vipers. behind the other is the guest bathroom. you must answer a riddle to determine the true path"

*rolls 17 perception*

good try DM, that floor's illusory

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

*rolls 17 perception*

good try DM, that floor's illusory

We talking about the room, or the real estate market for this sort of home

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

luxury handset posted:

post the vipers, coward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dude has hosed up feet. Like that cartoonist who can't draw feet made a statue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
His feet are normal enough.

It’s an artefact of the fisheye lens.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Anne Whateley posted:

Look up Robert Papp or John Burgoyne, who do amazing art of produce/etc. for Cook's Illustrated. Both sell prints

https://fineartamerica.com/artists/robert+papp/framed+prints
https://www.workbook.com/portfolios/view/burgoyne

Robert Papp should give you a referral bonus because I'm about to buy a $400 print of garlic for my kitchen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

luxury handset posted:

woah looks like the protagonist from the film memento hit the big time, good job fella

Im glad I discovered this thread during the doom bathroom epoch because it is a perennial source of bizarrerie to troll my gay friends with

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
when i was a child, riding around in my parents car and looking out the window at houses going by, i kept having this persistent fantasy of being able to go inside people's houses to look around. not for any nefarious reason, in my fantasies time stopped and everyone vanished and i could just walk into anyone's house to look around at how they lived. when i visited other people's homes i was always sharply aware of the conditions around me - the temperature of the room, any lingering smells, wear patterns in the carpet, the presence and orientation of clutter. i was fascinated with the way that people's living environments reflected who they were as people, and i had an intense curiosity to discover the way that people lived by how they inhabited space

so some years ago imagine my joy when i discovered listing websites and the fact that millions of people uploaded images of the interior of their homes for free, to the public. and it confirmed what i always secretly suspected - 90% of homes are boring as poo poo

anyway in my group chat about home decor and houses we have a small meme, about something being "piano as hell". meaning that in any kind of grand, completely overdone formal living room meant to impress your guests, there is nearly always a piano wedged in there somewhere

to the point that sometimes you have to play hunt the piano when a room has intense piano energy and you can feel it lurking there

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I used to wonder about the mcmansion set and pianos, too. Maybe they had a kid that took some lessons, but anyone that stuck with it switched over to a keyboard at some point. Then I went to a fancy party at an older relative's house and they had hired a pianist to play live music and the whole 'practice of rich people reduced to a tangible artifact for the bourgeoisie' fell into place.

I'll point out that it looks like most of those pianos in the pictures are baby grands, because uprights are for plebs but full grand pianos cost more. Opulence on a budget.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I can't even fathom a human being walking into this and thinking "aaah, this is home." That's poorly designed even for a mid-level Italian chain with pretensions of fanciness.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

This room is so loving ugly I feel the primal urge to seize a pitchfork and a flaming torch and go terrorize this neighbor. Every time I look at this picture I see some new monstrous element that pours fuel on my fire.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rabbit Hill posted:

This room is so loving ugly I feel the primal urge to seize a pitchfork and a flaming torch and go terrorize this neighbor. Every time I look at this picture I see some new monstrous element that pours fuel on my fire.

The word "CREATE" needs to be on the wall across from the shitter.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

I used to wonder about the mcmansion set and pianos, too. Maybe they had a kid that took some lessons, but anyone that stuck with it switched over to a keyboard at some point. Then I went to a fancy party at an older relative's house and they had hired a pianist to play live music and the whole 'practice of rich people reduced to a tangible artifact for the bourgeoisie' fell into place.

I'll point out that it looks like most of those pianos in the pictures are baby grands, because uprights are for plebs but full grand pianos cost more. Opulence on a budget.

pianos are a traditional sign of middle class affluence, they're in a weird position between classy enough instrument to not be plebe music and also large enough to serve as furniture. so parking a piano in your entertaining room is a way of saying "hey, we've got money and we intend to keep it by educating our children and marrying well". it's a very stodgy, victorian decorating trend which was picked up a ton by middle class americans who basically just copied the english as hard as possible because just like now, back then we thought everything the english were up to was just the fanciest drat thing

also in an era before television you'd have a lot more family-based entertainment where people would sit around and sing to enjoy music collectively, and having a piano player or two in the family makes it easier to pass the time in this way

well now people are mostly severed from that cultural practice, so some pianos end up being little more than very nice picture stands that fill a lot of space in a classy way. you still see piano lessons as something people teach kids, especially if the parents are hell-bent on driving their kids up some aspirational ladder. and of course there are folks out there who love music and play pianos, though i think those pianos are generally in a smaller, more dedicated music room or basement studio or something and not the first thing you see when you walk in the front door

and also the bougiest thing possible is to have a piano which you hire someone to play for your dingus cocktail parties and galas

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 12, 2019

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I play spot-the-Buddha on Dutch housing sites. There's always one sleeping serenely in the bathroom or headless on a shelf or just chilling in a quiet corner of the garden.

Anyway, my guess is that the piano is behind the swooping eagle statue to the side of Scarlett O'Hara's swooncase.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

Something about the color choice and the fact that it's on the ceiling makes it seem incredibly oppressive. That's gotta feel like a cave a night.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this is awful

i hate it

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The word "CREATE" needs to be on the wall across from the shitter.

I like the school public address speaker mounted on the ceiling.

And wall to wall carpet in your crafts? room? Have fun with the paint, glue and glitter all over. Unless this room is actually never used.

My grandmother gave me an art piece she had in her basement. It's 18" square stone, painted and with some brass applied. I can get a picture if it helps. It was previously mounted onto some wood, but the stone cleaved and fell off the wood. I've been looking instead at a stand/easel, but everything I've found so far is either too small, or looks too gaudy, like it came out of a house posted in this thread. I've looked at Michaels, Cost Plus, Amazon. I looked at some flea markets too, but I might need to try again now that it's summer. Any other ideas?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sarah Bellum posted:

Anyway, my guess is that the piano is behind the swooping eagle statue to the side of Scarlett O'Hara's swooncase.

yeah, you can just barely see the top of the open lid as if it were a mouth ready to pounce and devour the eagle

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Something about the color choice and the fact that it's on the ceiling makes it seem incredibly oppressive. That's gotta feel like a cave a night.

Or a malformed uterus?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

https://watabou.itch.io/procgen-mansion

Automatically generated mansions. I like the little bump on the top floor here.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Guy Axlerod posted:

Minecraft house maker

e: this looks.. McMansion plausable

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 13, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can not get over this eagle.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm feeling AATC

angry about those curtains

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Robert Papp should give you a referral bonus because I'm about to buy a $400 print of garlic for my kitchen.
gently caress, yeah he should

Guy Axlerod posted:

it's called a garderobe

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

it's called a garderobe

They're not usually over front doors, maybe it's anti-siege.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

All true, thus the significance of the baby grand! Your middle class, family entertainment before radio, get the kids some music education in the home piano is the upright, like the one in the photo you posted. They're heavy but compact, a couple of guys and a sturdy dolly can move one and it'll fit along a wall. A basic one brand new will run you around $4000, but odds are you can get one for much less, if not free, second-hand. Upright piano in the house = solid middle class signifier.

Grand pianos start at around $10,000, their unusual shape and great length means you have to dedicate a lot of floor space to them, and they can get so heavy you have to higher special piano movers with special piano moving equipment for them. All worth it to get the beautiful sound of a concert grand, but the shorter you make those strings the less beautiful the sound is. Baby grands are the smallest of the grands, and thus the cheapest while also having the worst sound for that kind of piano. For a pianist with real space or income concerns, that's a reasonable compromise. But for people buying a piano just as a wealthy trinket in their cavernous mcmansion, it's a noticeable trimming of the budget to opt for the cheapest of the fancy ones.

quote:

and also the bougiest thing possible is to have a piano which you hire someone to play for your dingus cocktail parties and galas

Those people were the declining remnants of old money. Hiring someone to play live music at their party doesn't scratch the top fifty of bougie fuckery. It doesn't even top it for that one party. The host grew a tree from the top of a pineapple, it produced one tiny fruit for him which he presented over dessert and we all toasted it with pineapple liqueur from cut crystal cordial glasses brought out from storage especially for the occasion.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

peanut posted:

I'm feeling AATC

angry about those curtains

Imagine having the money for custom drapery and picking those

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

there wolf posted:

Grand pianos start at around $10,000, their unusual shape and great length means you have to dedicate a lot of floor space to them, and they can get so heavy you have to higher special piano movers with special piano moving equipment for them.

Grands aren't much heavier than uprights, and are amazingly easy to move if you have the right stuff - which is a very specific grand dolly. They are moved on their sides with the legs removed.

That being said, you need a SIGNIFICANT sized room to get away with one from the standpoint of acoustics. If you know how to play a grand and make it sound like a grand (hint: lots of sustain pedal, build up the sound) they are freaking LOUD. They also get very harsh depending on how you position them, the floor, the windows/treatments, etc. If it's not just a decoration it really does take some pre-planning as well as futzing around once you get the thing to figure out exactly where/what angle, etc. And it's probably NOT going to be exactly where you would put it aesthetically if you care about acoustics.

Yes, I have one, so guillotine me. But all four people in this house play it. The thing is used at least daily, but we're just weird music people over here.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

Grands aren't much heavier than uprights, and are amazingly easy to move if you have the right stuff - which is a very specific grand dolly. They are moved on their sides with the legs removed.

That being said, you need a SIGNIFICANT sized room to get away with one from the standpoint of acoustics. If you know how to play a grand and make it sound like a grand (hint: lots of sustain pedal, build up the sound) they are freaking LOUD. They also get very harsh depending on how you position them, the floor, the windows/treatments, etc. If it's not just a decoration it really does take some pre-planning as well as futzing around once you get the thing to figure out exactly where/what angle, etc. And it's probably NOT going to be exactly where you would put it aesthetically if you care about acoustics.

Yes, I have one, so guillotine me. But all four people in this house play it. The thing is used at least daily, but we're just weird music people over here.

How many sq ft is your house

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have an upright I got for free from a piano teacher who retired; I managed to get four people and a guy with a nice truck, and I had a piano for the price of a pizza and a 12-pack for the people that helped. That's how you do it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How many sq ft is your house

I'd prefer not to answer that question here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Somehow relevant:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Motronic posted:

Makes sense. How many houses can you fit in your house

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Anne Whateley posted:

gently caress, yeah he should

it's called a garderobe

(historical) A lavatory, especially in a castle and built into the outer wall, with vent directly over the moat or midden.

*Checks guest list* .......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Motronic posted:

Probably as much as the piano cost.

It feels like you’re walking into the entrance of some 5 star hotel, which isn’t what I would want my house to be like.