Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Al! posted:

seems bad

Probably overflow or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at anyone genuinely thinking places like new orleans are going to survive climate change regardless of how high you build walls, they should start putting up signs that say abandon all hope ye who enter

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

lmao at anyone genuinely thinking places like new orleans are going to survive climate change regardless of how high you build walls, they should start putting up signs that say abandon all hope ye who enter

Welcome to New Orleans

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

new orleans,

same great taste!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Welcome to New Orleans

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

It's true you can build 20 ft levees but not 25 ft ones :thunk:

though yeah itll cost money and unfortunately we are suddenly economic conservatives when it comes to saving a city

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

though yeah itll cost money and unfortunately we are suddenly economic conservatives when it comes to saving a city

lmao

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

How high are these leeves going to end up? 50 feet?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

you can build a hundred foot levee but can you make it proof against barges full of grenades and fertilizer?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
neo orleans

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Source4Leko posted:

That'd be cool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Attack on Titan-style walls but they're holding back the Mississippi

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

After the sea level rises above a certain point you're living not so much in a city but in a large open-air toilet. Sewage and rain won't drain away anymore, it will have to be pumped out. Do you really think that's sustainable? People here aren't conservatives, you've just missed how much warming and sea rise is baked in already.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nocturtle posted:

After the sea level rises above a certain point you're living not so much in a city but in a large open-air toilet. Sewage and rain won't drain away anymore, it will have to be pumped out. Do you really think that's sustainable? People here aren't conservatives, you've just missed how much warming and sea rise is baked in already.

sunk cost fallacy is just another right wing talking point

*piles up more wet sand to make the sand castle beautiful*

PostNouveau posted:

lmfao

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the big problem is that climate change isnt just a sea level rise, its also rising temperatures, food/water shortages, refugees, war and other scarier things. saving cities from sea level rise seems like a nice idea, but when the time comes to actually save places like that there are going to be issues besides just making your levees taller

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

are we pretending this isn't New Orleans already

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm changing my position, I want to make the levees as tall as possible now. Just loving massive.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

no, but there's a threshold that is rapidly being eclipsed after which point no amount of good money thrown after bad to perpetuate an unsustainable, wildly optimistic status quo will help?

you're being remarkably obtuse about this lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PostNouveau posted:

what if we divert the Mississippi into space

a space barge floating raw materials up to the O'Neil cylinders

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

a leftist who cares about property is something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah it's already a big bowl they hafta pump the water and poo out of, hilarious that people don't already know this

those pumps are enormous and like last year they caught a buncha city workers slacking off and not maintaining them

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

PostNouveau posted:

Welcome to New Orleans

I'm the scuba skeleton about to get a wicked BJ from the other scuba skeleton

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm changing my position, I want to make the levees as tall as possible now. Just loving massive.

to be honest, it'd be one hell of a landmark

totally not a testament to capitalism either~

just imagine the incessant whining from Trump that he can't complete a border wall that looks like New Orleans' super massive levees

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

neuorleans

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what if we put new orleans in a pyramid then it would be safe from the water. just move the grains, bake lots of bread 2 make room

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah it's already a big bowl they hafta pump the water and poo out of, hilarious that people don't already know this

those pumps are enormous and like last year they caught a buncha city workers slacking off and not maintaining them

The pumps are state of the art ... for 1920. Just a miracle of modern engineering a century ago.

They're so old that they were built BEFORE ELECTRICITY WAS STANDARDIZED. They built them using the best type of electricity for the job, 25-cycle, and then the rest of the world promptly decided 60-cycle was the right kind. So New Orleans has to have special power plants to power just these pumps. They have to machine their own parts when something breaks and only a handful of people know how all that poo poo works.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nola has had pumps since the 1830s lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

it's obviously unsustainable, but so is most of the rest of our first-world existence

if we wanna plow resources into saving some buildings and historic sites from the encroaching seawaters, we can do it as long as long as cost is no object and everything is overengineered rather than underengineered, and we don't mind the occasional engineering failure drowning a couple thousand people every so often

in the long run, it's less efficient than just moving the city, probably, but more efficient than dredging up sand from the ocean floor and shipping it to tourist beaches to save them from sea level rise

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

The pumps are state of the art ... for 1920. Just a miracle of modern engineering a century ago.

They're so old that they were built BEFORE ELECTRICITY WAS STANDARDIZED. They built them using the best type of electricity for the job, 25-cycle, and then the rest of the world promptly decided 60-cycle was the right kind. So New Orleans has to have special power plants to power just these pumps. They have to machine their own parts when something breaks and only a handful of people know how all that poo poo works.

the best is that bush the lesser didn't spring for replacing or expanding any of that poo poo when they built all the new floodworks after katrina

kanye was right

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Source4Leko posted:

long term? 230ish if you account for storm surge

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

yellowD posted:

neuorleans

white people can go to neurorleans and talk like jar jar binks and just get away with it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just read up on why they don't divert the dumb river and found out they're already set up to do that and just won't

It's time to blow this control structure, use the old channel and , relocate the town and port

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/sensing-our-planet/a-tale-of-two-rivers     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure

It's going to be easier to pick up every house in the french quarter and relocate it than to keep the Mississippi from pushing on your wall every second forever. Reminder its drainage goes all the way to freaking new York
reminder that new york state drains into nola  

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Jul 12, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

hahahaha

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

I just read up on why they don't divert the dumb river and found out they're already set up to do that and just won't

It's time to blow this control structure, use the old channel and , relocate the town and port

https://earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/sensing-our-planet/a-tale-of-two-rivers     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure

when the river floods they open it up to the atchafalaya anyways, that wouldnt do anything to reduce flooding i think

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lmbo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

It's going to be easier to pick up every house in the french quarter and relocate it than to keep the Mississippi from pushing on your wall every second forever. Reminder its drainage goes all the way to freaking new York
reminder that new york state drains into nola  

All those states will be desert soon anyway and then who's laughing?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Here's a fun study for y'all: what will major cities feel like in 2050?
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0217592#abstract0

Appendix S2 is a spreadsheet of every city and the three closest analog 'future' cities.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Yeah the entire Mississippi River complex is insanely massive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

when the river floods they open it up to the atchafalaya anyways, that wouldnt do anything to reduce flooding i think

I bet it will if they blow the dams, that NASA site says that the atchafalaya is 20 feet lower and water prefers to go there. They can probably only open the gates so much right now , I'm assuming they're at max