Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw the writing on the wall a few years prior when Damnation was released. There's no going back.
And Damnation is a better album than any of the post-Watershed albums.

Ghost Reveries is still good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MR.B posted:

the exact words? No. But you get people who pine over ancient opeth songs like moonlapse, under the weeping moon, deliverance etc despite the fact Opeth stopped doing stuff like that almost a decade (10 years) ago. While dismissing newer music, because of no growling.

that being said, Heritage was pretty bland.

It's not they don't growl, it's that they aren't that good at being a Camel tribute band

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

People in here get really pissy about certain bands being brought up.

On the other hand we've had several people gush about the new Gloryhammer over several pages, which is honestly something I wouldn't have ever expected in this thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nordick posted:

On the other hand we've had several people gush about the new Gloryhammer over several pages, which is honestly something I wouldn't have ever expected in this thread.

Yeah I’m not trying to trash it, I love this thread. My backlog is an endless void thanks to you jerks.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I really like the old Opeth a lot. They are what got me into metal with growling vocals.

Their new stuff is just super boring to me. That new song sounds like every other boring thing they have done lately.

At least when you go see them live they play a couple of old songs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Its most likely he cant do it anymore - thats ok i guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9O1G0Acvs

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Nordick posted:

Because it is loving amazing is why. This... is not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lifeglug posted:

Because it is loving amazing is why. This... is not.

Yeah I agree on both counts, I just meant to point out that the thread is not always trve pvritans pining after maximum brutality, even though it has sometimes kinda seemed so.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

All I know is I’ve had that drat Norwegian Reggaeton song stuck in my head since it was posted here.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

All I know is I’ve had that drat Norwegian Reggaeton song stuck in my head since it was posted here.

I am exceedingly sorry

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda checked out on Opeth when the second half of Ghost Reveries came around, but at their peak they made some absolutely incredible poo poo.

This is still one of my favorite songs ever written:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KPqet74EI

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Seeing The Faceless in a couple hours, I hope the set is mostly Akeldama stuff because I uhhhhhhhhhh don't know anything beyond that. I'm aware Planetary Duality is apparently better so I guess if they play material off that, that'll be neat.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Nazzadan posted:

Seeing The Faceless in a couple hours, I hope the set is mostly Akeldama stuff because I uhhhhhhhhhh don't know anything beyond that. I'm aware Planetary Duality is apparently better so I guess if they play material off that, that'll be neat.

Every time I've seen them, they've put on a great show. Having said that, I think they're on their 441th group line up, so who fuckin' knows these days. I recently heard they did a bunch of shows where they played the entirety of Planetary Duality and it breaks my loving soul that I missed that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

For my fellow Amebix fans who were pretty bummed about the Tau Cross nazi stuff: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/stig-miller-says-amebix-were-not-secretly-nazis-surprised-about-tau-cross/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MR.B posted:

the exact words? No. But you get people who pine over ancient opeth songs like moonlapse, under the weeping moon, deliverance etc despite the fact Opeth stopped doing stuff like that almost a decade (10 years) ago. While dismissing newer music, because of no growling.

that being said, Heritage was pretty bland.

I think people dismiss their new music because it's incredibly corny retro prog wankery, rather than because it doesn't have harsh vocals. but it's not like old opeth is very good either.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I like corny retro prog wankery, Opeth just sucks at it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda accidentally ran into a thing called Together To The Stars, and I like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaS6fJN6WzE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A human heart posted:

I think people dismiss their new music because it's incredibly corny retro prog wankery, rather than because it doesn't have harsh vocals. but it's not like old opeth is very good either.

Wanna take this outside???! :argh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Opeth was always kinda goofy but they did their own thing pretty well. The new stuff just doesn't have the same heart and it's not as heavy.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

I can’t keep up with every new release and so much stuff slips through the cracks, but I just started listening to last years Horrendous record and it is extremely my poo poo.

It's a great loving album. I love the production on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbup5I0UV4

Also had NFI psycroptic released an album last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBACkguBR0

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holy gently caress Tomb Mold Live was insane. And why did nobody tell me about Superstition?

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Henchman of Santa posted:

Holy gently caress Tomb Mold Live was insane. And why did nobody tell me about Superstition?

Ive seen a lot of Superstition hype through my friends. I was super stoked about this show, missed it cause suddenly my car needs 3k in repairs today. Urgh. Tomb Mold wanted us to play the Chicago stop but they asked the promoter too late and the lineup was already full, too bad. We played with them in a DIY basement last time they came to Chicago and it was DOPE.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Are we allowed to ramble about mid-2000s avante-garde/listened-to-too-much-Mr-Bungle nonsense? Because if so, I have opinions.

So, Dog Fashion Disco have been re-recording all their old albums since they can't get the rights to their recordings back from their lovely old label. Fair enough. The first one (Erotic Massage) was fantastic since the original recording had really bad audio quality and they played around with the songs a bit, often improving on them. The second one (Experiments in Embryos) was also great, because they basically combined the best bits of two albums into one while cutting all the filler.

The latest one, though, Committed to a Bright Future, makes me sad for a number of reasons.

1.) The production quality is worse than the original, so a lot of the cool little touches in the original version are missing. For example, in the first track, Love Song For A Witch, the "Because we fly so god drat HIIIIIGH" in the first verse is missing the pitch-bend effect at the end. It's a tiny thing as an example, but it feels like all the tiny things are missing.

2.) The vocal performance just isn't as good... well, let me qualify that. The cleans and crooned bits are still on-par, but anything that involved screaming and shouting is completely shot. Compare the start of the original and re-recorded versions of Rapist Eyes for a great example - in the original, it's practically roared, like an outraged elephant. In the re-recording, it's sung normally (but kinda raspily) with the guitars pushed forward in the mix to try and compensate. I understand with how long they've been doing this it'd be really hard to try and scream like that night after night, but this isn't a live recording. (Although, to be fair, who knows how much studio time they had to get it right?)

3.) The changes to the arrangements are few and far between, and as far as I've seen aren't really positive changes. One that gets me, and I'm not a musician so my description is probably gonna be laughable, is the very start of Deja Vu. There's a bit at the start where the guitar drops out and gives the drums a second or two to themselves. In the original, the drummer does a short little, seven-beat thing. Nothing amazing, but it has a swagger to it and it's fun to slap the steering wheel along with it. In the new one, it's just... a drumroll. Not a fancy one, just a normal one. And the rest of the arrangement is more or less the same as the original. Kind of disappointing.

This probably reads like I'm whining about mostly tiny things, but it feels a lot like a demo recording of the original album, somehow recorded 16 years after the original. I'd imagine they had considerably less time and/or money to do it than they did the first time around, but after Massage and Embryos I was hyped to hear what they'd do to the first album of theirs I listened to, and the end result was a let down.

Ah well, album re-recordings are typically a pretty mixed bag. If the rest of this project turns out to be rear end, I'll be glad to at least have gotten two real good ones out of the bunch.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wyzt posted:

Ive seen a lot of Superstition hype through my friends. I was super stoked about this show, missed it cause suddenly my car needs 3k in repairs today. Urgh. Tomb Mold wanted us to play the Chicago stop but they asked the promoter too late and the lineup was already full, too bad. We played with them in a DIY basement last time they came to Chicago and it was DOPE.

I did see a guy in a Nucleus shirt there, so I’m sure he would’ve been heartbroken to learn this.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m liking Superstition just fine but I’m loving that recent Ossuarium lp.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

And why did nobody tell me about Superstition?

i literally posted about it 2 pages ago

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

I can just about figure out the Spanish lyrics and the whole thing is a work of genius.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groke posted:

I can just about figure out the Spanish lyrics and the whole thing is a work of genius.
Turn on the YouTube closed captioning.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i literally posted about it 2 pages ago

I meant like when their album came out!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Kins posted:

I understand with how long they've been doing this it'd be really hard to try and scream like that night after night

On the other hand Frank Mullen performed with Suffocation for 30 goddamn years and still sounded great last October at the age of 49

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here, have some new cool death metally stuff I found on bandcamp.

https://animusstench.bandcamp.com/album/lynching-the-lunacy-2

https://xenokorp.bandcamp.com/album/human-cattle

https://scumripper-finland.bandcamp.com/album/all-veins-blazing

https://burialremains.bandcamp.com/album/trinity-of-deception-death-metal

https://pathetic666.bandcamp.com/album/rat-king

https://demiurgon.bandcamp.com/album/the-oblivious-lure

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Faceless were pretty good. Half the set was Akeldama and Planetary Duality poo poo, the other half was off their newest album. There was no bass player so I assume they're about to do the entire summer slaughter tour with a macbook as their bassist which is pretty funny. All the local death metal and -core bands kicked rear end.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nazzadan posted:

The Faceless were pretty good. Half the set was Akeldama and Planetary Duality poo poo, the other half was off their newest album. There was no bass player so I assume they're about to do the entire summer slaughter tour with a macbook as their bassist which is pretty funny.

lmao

I'm stupid pumped for Tomb Mold and Superstition, I really like the direction of this new generation of death metal bands

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lmao

I'm stupid pumped for Tomb Mold and Superstition, I really like the direction of this new generation of death metal bands

I still don’t really know what this subgenre is but it rules

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Caverncore”

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

On the other hand Frank Mullen performed with Suffocation for 30 goddamn years and still sounded great last October at the age of 49

Karl Sanders still growls like a beast and he's like 56

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/MetalwoContext/status/1150163051544399872

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fenrir posted:

True, and I'm pretty sure like all of Cannibal Corpse are in their 50s

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
That new Opeth song reminds me of Harlequin Forest at times.

But Still Life, BWP and half of Ghost Reveries is freaking awesome. There was some seriously heavy poo poo going on considering that they were in standard tuning for the most of it. The new stuff sounds like bad prog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Fenrir posted:

Every time I see DRI I can't believe how much energy they have. Kurt Brecht is running around like a lunatic and it's like they never loving stop.

It rules.