Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
god i need to finish the MSQ so i can start leveling WHM instead of SAM, healing in this expansion rules now (i've always liked healing when it's really hard and pushes the limits) but i need to save my roulettes for getting to 80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

CYBEReris posted:

what if Elidibus...isn't an Emissary for us? :tinfoil:

Oh hell, are there wormhole aliens?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

small bird pudding posted:

Oh hell, are there wormhole aliens?

I see you haven't done Omega.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Mulva posted:

I see you haven't done Omega.

I have. I suppose that counts.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

TulliusCicero posted:

Cutter's Cry makes me cry

I still don't even know what's going in besides ANTS and it's really long and boring

Here's a list of dungeons no one really likes:

Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak
Cutter's Cry
Dzemael Darkhold
Aurum Vale

What are the common factors? They're all long boring slogs with much less contextual connection to the world than other dungeons, with overlong area design.

What's the other common factor? They are the four dungeons from 1.0, repurposed.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Fister Roboto posted:

My interpretation of SHB endgame reveals is that the Amaurotines didn't really sacrifice themselves for the greater good. It's how Emet-Selch justifies it, but they were really sacrificed to maintain their power, which is ironically the power that brought about their doom. The 14th Ascian and Hydalaen represent the opposite of that - sacrificing power to save lives - which is the truly moral solution to the dilemma.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Cutter's Cry
Dzemael Darkhold
Aurum Vale

What are the common factors? They're all long boring slogs with much less contextual connection to the world than other dungeons, with overlong area design.

What's the other common factor? They are the four dungeons from 1.0, repurposed.

the worst thing about them is that it's pronounced dazeemal darkhold and not dismal darkhold. absolutely unacceptable.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

"The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak" sounds like a really cool name for a really hosed up place and then it's just... that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TulliusCicero posted:

Cutter's Cry makes me cry

I still don't even know what's going in besides ANTS and it's really long and boring

I still haven't run that one because the story didn't require it. Actually there are a few other level 50 dungeons I haven't gotten around to running. All the Hard ones too.

KoB
May 1, 2009
more like the thousand yawns of toto-rak

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Veib posted:

"The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak" sounds like a really cool name for a really hosed up place and then it's just... that.

The only notable thing from TMTR is that after my first run through it I was moved to google what "Abacination" meant after opening a door marked Abacination Chamber and learned something new that day.

Something disturbing, but new, and learning can be it's own reward!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

legitimate question: if there are no dragons on the first, then what are the primal mounts

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Vitamean posted:

who made Omega

me

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Meiteron posted:

Cutter's Cry
Dzemael Darkhold
Aurum Vale

Also, Cutter's Cry is one of the few dungeons with "get one-shot until you learn the gimmick" bosses, and Aurum Vale's got the Morbol Fruit, aka "can the tank see more than 2 inches past their feet" which turns out to be a no pretty regularly

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meiteron posted:

The only notable thing from TMTR is that after my first run through it I was moved to google what "Abacination" meant after opening a door marked Abacination Chamber and learned something new that day.

Something disturbing, but new, and learning can be it's own reward!

I, too, learned something new and disturbing today.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Veib posted:

It particularly suffered from the development time. There's some interview where Yoshi-P talks about it. They originally had a plan where there was some kind of magic bomb at the end and you'd be on a timer to race through and defuse it, thus all the sticky floors that slow you down. They didn't have the time to tune the bomb gimmick to make it work, but by then they also didn't have time to remove the sticky floors, so you're just getting slowed down for no reason.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What I’m hearing is that the Illuminati needs to take over Toto-rak and hide a bomb in there for a hard mode.

The twist is we want to go in and set it off to wipe the place off the face of Eorzea.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

rantmo posted:

A lot of the "story" around the dungeons is just outright nonsense even if you are trying to pay attention. I'm still not sure what most of the ARR dungeons are about and I was trying to know. Brayfuck's Flippy Flop or whatever the poo poo it's called is the absolute worst because of the goblin gibberish. It's a shame too because it's a fun one to run.

I will not loving stand for this insult to gobbiespeak, which is beautiful and pure, you disgusting uplander

e: cutter's cry is I believe supposed to be an ant nest in which a bunch of adventurers got chumped in 1.0, and they called themselves Darklight before getting their asses killed, after which the armor sets are named. anyway the important thing is that CC, aurum vale, dzemael, and toto-rak are 1.0 remnants, as discussed. that said: coincounter loving owns enough to carry aurum vale. gently caress you

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 12, 2019

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

the worst thing about them is that it's pronounced dazeemal darkhold and not dismal darkhold. absolutely unacceptable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

World War Mammories posted:

that said: coincounter loving owns enough to carry aurum vale. gently caress you

I remember seeing a discussion on reddit about how the Kholusian Iguana is bullshit because it's clearly a chamelon (among some other questionably named animals on the First) and that's kind of how I feel about a lot of things in Aurum Vale.

Is Aurum Vale the Greenland of Eorzea?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 12, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
most of heavensward's dungeons are terrible too. mainly dusk vigil and some of the optional ones like that one loving sea of clouds dungeon god i hate it so much

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Aurum Vale is fine :colbert: and at level amazing XP especially if you let the morbol fruits hatch. The only real hurdle is the first room and its really not that hard and there's newbies talk them through poo poo.

Edit: gobbiespeak owns

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

most of heavensward's dungeons are terrible too. mainly dusk vigil and some of the optional ones like that one loving sea of clouds dungeon god i hate it so much

BLM-seeking tornadoes. :argh:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Solovey posted:

legitimate question: if there are no dragons on the first, then what are the primal mounts

Dragons are the offspring of midgardsormr, the other things are either just flying lizards or things some aumoratine decided looked cool

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Solovey posted:

Dinosaurs

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:swoon:

That would own so hard

KoB
May 1, 2009
you came crawling back

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

:actually: it's pronounced zemile darkhold

Solovey posted:

counterfeit dragons a wizard made

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vermain posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to have a translation for the Japanese versions of the lines where this is discussed? Reshaping fundamental physical and aetheric laws is a pretty fuckin' tall order, regardless of how good Amaurotian souls might've been. I'm curious whether "rewriting the very laws of existence" is a mere poetic flourish in the English version for something else, or if the Japanese version says the same thing.

I don't, but if you really wanted to create a god capable of SENDING THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE INTO CHAOS changing metaphysical laws at will, sacrificing half a planet worth of immortal solipsists is about as good a plan as any.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder what percentage of GNB bandwagoners ended up sticking with it and/or picking up tanking in general. It worked for me, though I'd been wanting to tank for a while. I'm curious how many more people had GNB as a tanking gateway drug rather than just playing around with it before going back to their old roles.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

I usually try to say hi at least, but using a controller to type in the chat is frustrating sometimes. This game is really making me want to build a PC.

It is possible to plug in a keyboard or use a wireless keyboard if it has its own dongle. You can even play the game with the keyboard!

He's not wrong. If you're scared shitless out of your mind, and El Presidente holds up a beacon of hope that might involve you committing seppuku, you might let your fear take over and drive you towards that with the thought that anything, even death, is better than facing the the various horrors created by wildly out-of-control creation magics.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2019

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kerrzhe posted:

:actually: it's pronounced zemile darkhold

counterfeit dragons a wizard made

My FC collectively calls that place Tomato Derpaderp. It came about because back in ARR nobody knew how to pronounce that name but dzemael tomatos existed so it became Tomato Darkhold. I don't remember where it eventually devolved into Tomato Derpaderp but it's stuck all these years later.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bro, you just summoned cringe

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2019

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Post MSQ theory poo poo:

At first I concluded that the Amaurotanians were just really probably too good at creation magic to the point where they could just think something into existence. In the post MSQ Academy dungeon with Quetzalcoatl the plot thread is basically “our creations are getting to be a bit much for us to handle how fantastic is this!” So my conclusion was they kept creating things, eventually lost control, began to fear their creations and this fear resulted in their fears becoming manifest (which Emet says something about in the Amaurot dungeon) due to the ability to think things into existence - this then resulted in a cascade of fear > fear manifest > more fear > worse fear manifest and so on until the end point of them being truly hosed.

I liked this concept because it delves into some neat ideas about their hubris and the facade of their perfect society being one scared Amaurotine away from a lit match in a firework factory.

HOWEVER.

I also like the idea that there was a thing that happened that caused the fear cascade to begin because that is just one hell of a juicy plot thread that they can spin into whatever the hell they want - why not have JENOVA in FFXIV or a rendition thereof, that caused the fall of the Amauroti society and somehow she wakes up on the source these millennia later and the Warrior of Light has to go deal with that. It just strikes me as a neat plot to introduce a new villain that has all the groundwork laid for it without us even realising. There’s so much potential in a plot like that to really dig deep into Amaurotish history which would be awesome.

But yeah I like both ideas because I love me some literary analysis and cultures that got too big for their boots, and I love me some “wouldn’t it be cool if” fantasising about where the plot can go after all the current obvious threats are dealt with.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I wonder what percentage of GNB bandwagoners ended up sticking with it and/or picking up tanking in general. It worked for me, though I'd been wanting to tank for a while. I'm curious how many more people had GNB as a tanking gateway drug rather than just playing around with it before going back to their old roles.

Probably a ton. Tanking was made even more brain dead easy. Threat is a non issue now. No stance toggle. Two defnsive cool downs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Probably a ton. Tanking was made even more brain dead easy. Threat is a non issue now. No stance toggle. Two defnsive cool downs.

I feel like we're not counting defensive cooldowns the same way or perhaps I have a bad understanding of what that term means.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Holyshoot posted:

Two cooldowns? You don't sound like a tank

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

They really made Voeburt Il Mheg a paradise

isk fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 12, 2019

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Behold! The True DCN:

It aligned perfectly as I was walking to start the quest, so I felt the need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Did the The Paths We Walk sidequest

/haurchefant