Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a way to adjust the tutorial message box size in dqb2? I can’t read this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Imagined posted:

It's really good but when I got about 40 hours in and realized I was only halfway done the part where the big bad scatters your party across the world, and it resets all the fast travel points I decided I actually was done.

Great game though. Especially since they put the real music in this version. I played the PC version with a mod that accomplished the same thing.

I'm thinking about the incredible stuff you missed by stopping there and getting sad for you

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I'm thinking about the incredible stuff you missed by stopping there and getting sad for you

I'll probably pick it up again. I had just gotten that far thinking after Hendrik joined the party that I was heading into the end stretch, but noooooooope, apparently still 30+ hours to go.

The problem with that game is that it's incredibly charming, the writing and voice acting is great and all, but there is a LOT of padding, a point the game tacitly acknowledges by letting you auto fight battles. The Switch version even lampshades this further by advertising you can speed up the battles.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 12, 2019

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

tuo posted:

Is there a Cadence of Hyrule thread which I can't find?

Because I'm stuck...and stupid....but mostly stuck

how the heck to I get over the "bridge" inside hyrule castle? I checked some youtube vids, and they all have hookshots and stuff, and I just traversed nearly the whole map in search of someone who sells me that or in search of a chest, but I'm out of luck

The monster-infested caves around the world map have traversal items like the hookshot. It should be fairly easy to start checking them if you have the Cave Charm.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I asked this before and nobody answered but should I get snake pass?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So is the consensus that Super Mario Maker 2 is a better Mario game than New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe even if you're not going to create levels??

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

tuo posted:

There's one here, seems dead though. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891771

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MZ posted:

So is the consensus that Super Mario Maker 2 is a better Mario game than New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe even if you're not going to create levels??

One has a good and lengthy singleplayer campaign of traditional sidescrolling mario and the other has a good and decent length singleplayer campaign of short mario levels and literally infinitely many more levels of mario

Rolo posted:

I thought it was profoundly tedious and quit on the second level, but someone has to like it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

MZ posted:

I own both and yes, absolutely.

Even if you're not going to play any online levels, I'd say MM2 edges out as the more fun single player game. If you take online levels into account, there's no contest whatsoever.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Imagined posted:

I'll probably pick it up again. I had just gotten that far thinking after Hendrik joined the party that I was heading into the end stretch, but noooooooope, apparently still 30+ hours to go.

The problem with that game is that it's incredibly charming, the writing and voice acting is great and all, but there is a LOT of padding, a point the game tacitly acknowledges by letting you auto fight battles. The Switch version even lampshades this further by advertising you can speed up the battles.

Auto-battle isn't "an admission of padding" as much as a considered design decision to help you handle the overwhelming number of options. I never thought the game dragged (and like, you can run past most enemies so the pacing is up to you) so this post is weird to me but I guess not every game is for everyone.

Also the animations in DQXI are nice and quick so I'm not sure what the speed up is for lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MZ posted:

There's a pint of Ben & Jerry's on the left and a gallon-sized "party pail" of that weird off-white vanilla made by a company you've never heard of whose mascot is a clown. Both are valid. What'll it be, sport?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

*ahem*
DARK CLOUD 2 REMASTER WHEN

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

I thought it was profoundly tedious and quit on the second level, but someone has to like it

I love Snake Pass but yea to enjoy it you have to throw out everything you've learned about videogames and honestly what moving around as a person is like in order to enjoy it. It's really rewarding if you're willing to take it slow tho

I do feel it's worth noting that I played it on PC using a controller with analog triggers and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the game as much without them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rolo posted:

If you really want it, sure. There's nothing really to write home about. I've never gotten very far into the game, so I don't know if there's anything deeper to it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The Story Mode levels in MM2 are some quality. It's nice seeing Nintendo getting a little weird with Mario as well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheScott2K posted:

There's a pint of Ben & Jerry's on the left and a gallon-sized "party pail" of that weird off-white vanilla made by a company you've never heard of whose mascot is a clown. Both are valid. What'll it be, sport?

Extremely unfair.

The story mode in Maker is at least a quart of Breyer's.

And some of the fan levels are those cold slab hip ice cream joints.

Overall 10/10 Mario Maker whips rear end, undodog is my friend.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
My rear end is so chapped on Graveyard Keeper. I loving loved Stardew Valley but just kind of hit a point where my farm was so expansive and I had so much to do that it stopped being a pick up and play game and started being a spend a considerable amount of time to even get anything done game, which just didn't really jive with how busy I was around the time it hit the eShop. I was in one of those classic situations where you want to go back to a game, but haven't played in so long you don't really remember what you were doing so you just want to start over... But gently caress I am like 100+ hours into that save.

So, Graveyard Keeper provided a interesting opportunity to scratch that similar itch in a different setting so I don't feel like I'm just starting over. The first 10ish hours are super good, and I loved how much there was to do in the game. It felt really open ended, which made it seem like there was just a ridiculous amount of depth to eventually explore- Particularly with menus filled with things like tech trees and similar.

Not only does the game not really deliver on that depth, but one of the big time sinks is gathering resources. You chop wood, mine iron, shovel rocks, and do a bunch of other stuff which eventually just gets tedious when higher level crafting recipes require so many resources. The hosed part is that there's all these clues in the game world surrounding building some sort of undead army of skeletons or zombies or something that eventually just gather resources for you. I was thinking there'd be a similar crossover as Stardew Valley where right about where you're using all your energy on watering plants you start getting sprinkers.

These suspicions seemed to start being confirmed by the main quest line which had you do things like get a bucket of blood, track down a copy of the Necronomicon, etc. I had a pretty good run of playing the game without needing to Google anything but when the quest line swerved away from all this stuff that felt like it would result in an undead resource gathering army I looked it up to see how many steps I have to go.

Turns out the step I was missing was not buying the loving $5 DLC that was available at launch. The hosed part is, I would have just paid $25 for this game instead of $20, but the $5 up-sell feels so lovely particularly when the game is teasing you along the whole way making you think it was just part of the game. I'm really not sure I've ever played a game that does this before. What's so loving baffling is why when you discover the undead mine it just tells you some bullshit about how you need someone who doesn't need to breathe to go in there, which feels like an in-game quest, instead of being like "Buy the $5 undead army DLC to access this part of the game!"

So, I'm totally fuckin' over Graveyard Keeper.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

tuo posted:

Because I'm stuck...and stupid....but mostly stuck

how the heck to I get over the "bridge" inside hyrule castle? I checked some youtube vids, and they all have hookshots and stuff, and I just traversed nearly the whole map in search of someone who sells me that or in search of a chest, but I'm out of luck

Throw two boxes, one right after the other so they collide, onto the side ledge. This should push the first box back so you can grapple across. Go north and hookshot across to a statue.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

io_burn posted:

My rear end is so chapped on Graveyard Keeper. I loving loved Stardew Valley but just kind of hit a point where my farm was so expansive and I had so much to do that it stopped being a pick up and play game and started being a spend a considerable amount of time to even get anything done game, which just didn't really jive with how busy I was around the time it hit the eShop. I was in one of those classic situations where you want to go back to a game, but haven't played in so long you don't really remember what you were doing so you just want to start over... But gently caress I am like 100+ hours into that save.

So, Graveyard Keeper provided a interesting opportunity to scratch that similar itch in a different setting so I don't feel like I'm just starting over. The first 10ish hours are super good, and I loved how much there was to do in the game. It felt really open ended, which made it seem like there was just a ridiculous amount of depth to eventually explore- Particularly with menus filled with things like tech trees and similar.

Not only does the game not really deliver on that depth, but one of the big time sinks is gathering resources. You chop wood, mine iron, shovel rocks, and do a bunch of other stuff which eventually just gets tedious when higher level crafting recipes require so many resources. The hosed part is that there's all these clues in the game world surrounding building some sort of undead army of skeletons or zombies or something that eventually just gather resources for you. I was thinking there'd be a similar crossover as Stardew Valley where right about where you're using all your energy on watering plants you start getting sprinkers.

These suspicions seemed to start being confirmed by the main quest line which had you do things like get a bucket of blood, track down a copy of the Necronomicon, etc. I had a pretty good run of playing the game without needing to Google anything but when the quest line swerved away from all this stuff that felt like it would result in an undead resource gathering army I looked it up to see how many steps I have to go.

Turns out the step I was missing was not buying the loving $5 DLC that was available at launch. The hosed part is, I would have just paid $25 for this game instead of $20, but the $5 up-sell feels so lovely particularly when the game is teasing you along the whole way making you think it was just part of the game. I'm really not sure I've ever played a game that does this before. What's so loving baffling is why when you discover the undead mine it just tells you some bullshit about how you need someone who doesn't need to breathe to go in there, which feels like an in-game quest, instead of being like "Buy the $5 undead army DLC to access this part of the game!"

So, I'm totally fuckin' over Graveyard Keeper.

I dunno what you mean, but
A: Undead resource-gathering armies are available quite early, like within a couple hours if you're a non-speedrunner who knows what to do (although, in an open-ended game like this, that's not saying much).

B: What 5$ launch DLC? Are you sure you were looking at Google results for the right game, because I have Graveyard Keeper on Steam and there's no $5 gameplay DLC, certainly not available at launch, and the zombies were added as part of a free update to the game, as detailed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_(mathematics)

e: haha, that's not the right link in the slightest, must have hit the wrong keys, I meant this link: https://steamcommunity.com/games/599140/announcements/detail/1700565796606380032

John Lee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2019

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Can you build a town with other people in Dragon Quest Builders 2 multiplayer or do you just get a bunch of land to dig up

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

John Lee posted:

I dunno what you mean, but
A: Undead resource-gathering armies are available quite early, like within a couple hours if you're a non-speedrunner who knows what to do (although, in an open-ended game like this, that's not saying much).

B: What 5$ launch DLC? Are you sure you were looking at Google results for the right game, because I have Graveyard Keeper on Steam and there's no $5 gameplay DLC, certainly not available at launch, and the zombies were added as part of a free update to the game, as detailed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_(mathematics)

e: haha, that's not the right link in the slightest, must have hit the wrong keys, I meant this link: https://steamcommunity.com/games/599140/announcements/detail/1700565796606380032

The DLC was free on Steam, it costs $5 on consoles.

Apparently it wasn't part of the original release because tinyBuild was porting from the original before the DLC was available, then ported the DLC after. The guy behind it posted about it and it reads a lot like "My First Console Game" https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SvyatoslavCherkasov/20190627/345688/Porting_Graveyard_Keeper_to_consoles_and_mobiles.php

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

d3lness posted:

Throw two boxes, one right after the other so they collide, onto the side ledge. This should push the first box back so you can grapple across. Go north and hookshot across to a statue.
Tuo can't find the hookshot

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah Graveyard Keeper and the Breaking Dead DLC launched on the same day on the eShop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/destructoid/status/1149711041443454976

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

parasyte posted:

The DLC was free on Steam, it costs $5 on consoles.

Apparently it wasn't part of the original release because tinyBuild was porting from the original before the DLC was available, then ported the DLC after. The guy behind it posted about it and it reads a lot like "My First Console Game" https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SvyatoslavCherkasov/20190627/345688/Porting_Graveyard_Keeper_to_consoles_and_mobiles.php

Ah, makes sense.

Well, actually it doesn't make sense, and is super lovely. Can't blame somebody for getting pissed about it, in that case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MZ posted:

People have already said what they've said, and I'm not contesting any of it. My wife got me NSMBUD for my birthday, a week before SMM2 came out, and that was all well and good. She knew we were getting SMM2, but wanted me to have SOMETHING to give me on my actual birthday. My family played it a bunch (me, my wife, and my older son). He loves it, calls it Squirrel Suit Mario, had a blast.

Then we got SMM2, and none of us have gone back yet. Now, maybe that's because we're literally only two weeks after the release, so perhaps we'll go back to 100% everything, but it's definitely not on our radar anymore.

It kind of sucks that (as of now) SMM2 doesn't include all of the powerups from previous games, nor cany ou make any sort of overworld or continued series of levels, so therefore you do get a reason to go back to older Mario games.

Those two elements aside, though SMM2 blows previous Mario games out of the water at best, and at worse, you boo a lovely stage and move on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MZ posted:

I own both and I like both, but when you're done with the single player campaign of SMM2, you can do this: https://randomactsofmario.com/

Play (at the time of this post) 836 additional goon levels.

Then, after that, play levels made by noted game devs: https://old.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c8iscs/my_humble_list_of_game_devs_and_youtubers_who/

Then, after that if you're thinking "I want to see something from ~THE BRANDS~", play the meat themed level made by Arbys: https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1148245353931558913

Its literally (figuratively) infinite Mario

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
One quality of life improvement I wish they would make is letting people be level curators (or whatever you'd want to call them) where I could enter in a code to play a collection of a bunch of different levels made by them or other people. I feel like I spend a lot of time entering individual level codes when it would be way more rad to be able to enter in one code for Goon Level Pack #1 or something.

acems
May 8, 2019

io_burn posted:

One quality of life improvement I wish they would make is letting people be level curators (or whatever you'd want to call them) where I could enter in a code to play a collection of a bunch of different levels made by them or other people. I feel like I spend a lot of time entering individual level codes when it would be way more rad to be able to enter in one code for Goon Level Pack #1 or something.

Yeah, playlists are one of my top feature requests. Also, bring back the bookmark site. Did that launch with SMM1, or was it added later?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

acems posted:

Yeah, playlists are one of my top feature requests. Also, bring back the bookmark site. Did that launch with SMM1, or was it added later?

Added later. As with all things Nintendo Online SMM started very barebones

VVV They need to add in the new BOOST MODE for the loading screens

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 12, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DQB2’s load times are kind of atrocious. Why the gently caress does it take so long for this floaty text to move on?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Added later. As with all things Nintendo Online SMM started very barebones

I really hope they bring it back soon. I want to start playing goon levels but gently caress entering codes for each one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EDIT: welp, should have refreshed the page.

acems posted:

From everything I've heard, it was added later. And that makes sense, seeing as thought MM1 was the first of its kind, but to not have that before the launch of the sequel which will inevitably outsell the original is kind of :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tim rogers (PBUH) has blessed us with a DQB2 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMhU8-nph4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tim rogers (PBUH) has blessed us with a DQB2 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTMhU8-nph4

I don't really know if this review makes me want to play it more or less. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really hope they bring it back soon. I want to start playing goon levels but gently caress entering codes for each one.

You can subscribe to Makers by entering their ID numbers, if you find someone whose work you really like.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

I don't really know if this review makes me want to play it more or less. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Tim Rogers is really good at making enjoyable game reviews. I have watched his DQXI review at least 3 times.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
My hams are extremely steamed that they didn’t bring back the costumes for Mario 1 levels

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Eh, I'd say New Super Mario Bros U is closer to Blue Bunny.

DKC Tropical Freeze, now that's the pint of Ben and Jerry's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Detective No. 27 posted:

DKC Tropical Freeze, now that's the pint of Ben and Jerry's.

Tropical Freeze is the perfect platformer for people who have played way too many platformers. It's Halo Top.