Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Motronic posted:

Friendlier how? Like interface?

I don't care about that. Vanguard works. I don't day trade so I don't give a gently caress.
yeah, ideally, a "friendly" interface would make day trading as difficult as possible.

i use vanguard for my IRA, it's just fine, i've probably spent 20 minutes total on the site in my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Mostly focusing about the ease of rebalancing quarterly when you have a dozen different assets or are doing tax loss harvesting when the time is right.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I use a broker because I have both vanguard and blackrock etfs as well as some stocks but it's like whatever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Doctors gonna doctor

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Trabant posted:

Even if I were to agree with that theory, uncontrolled inflation alone is a horrid thing. I lived through a period of hyperinflation (:tito:) and it's difficult to overstate how devastating it can be.

Yeah hyperinfalation is bad and so it's still important that taxes are collected, that's why I put the word all in quotes

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Yond Cassius posted:

There's a small meltdown going on over at the Wall Street Journal comments section (paywall warning), because, in some ways, this is already starting. Nobody's coming for a second go at Roth IRA funds, but they're taking some wind out of the dynastic wealth-building potential of really big IRAs. Most of the article is guillotine bait, but the short form is that, if the SECURE Act becomes law, it'll adjust the rules on payouts for non-spousal inheritance of IRAs.

Right now, if you Mitt Romney the hell out of your IRA and die with leftover money, you can leave it in trust to your kids and/or grandkids and trust-fund them for the rest of their (actuarial) lives. The new rules say that non-spousal beneficiaries will have to take out all the remaining funds in an IRA within 10 years, pushing that income A) closer to "now" and B) into higher tax brackets.
While I'm not trying to suggest that Congress will fully rescind all of the tax benefits of Roth IRAs one day, it's entirely plausible that the future tax benefits of Roth IRAs may be worth less than currently expected.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After "The Incident" they'll just take all the 401Ks and redistribute it to pay for the dome wall.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
A small price to pay

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
In general is there any reason to wait until the end of the year to max out an IRA contribution or should I just do it as early as possible to get it out of the way? Like if I have the 5500 available at the start of the year should I put it all in or make deposits over time?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Statistically, the best strategy is to invest lump sums as early and as often as you can.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mmj posted:

In general is there any reason to wait until the end of the year to max out an IRA contribution or should I just do it as early as possible to get it out of the way? Like if I have the 5500 available at the start of the year should I put it all in or make deposits over time?

The sooner the better! By investing you are stating that it should go up over time. More time in the market = more time spent going up.

There may be some exceptions, like if that $5,500 is all the savings you've got, or if you would gain a significant amount of peace of mine from contributing monthly.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Thanks that's what I needed to know. This would just be shifting funds from an existing vanguard investment account so no emptying my emergency fund

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mmj posted:

If you were planning to do a pre-tax/Roth IRA and there's the possibility that you could get a bonus or something that might put you over the contribution thresholds? I've heard it can do a PITA to undo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Small White Dragon posted:

If you were planning to do a pre-tax/Roth IRA and there's the possibility that you could get a bonus or something that might put you over the contribution thresholds? I've heard it can do a PITA to undo.

I had to take $800 back out of a Roth a year later when I earned into the phase out limit. It was ~5 minutes of paperwork but I think I had to mail it to Vanguard? I'd assume you can upload PDFs now, but it wasn't bad at all.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Weird question but I’ll go for it, if any goons here work for Fidelity or similar, I’m looking to explore 401(k) options for my company (setting one up, started last year and now we have employees). We are very small, so not a lot of negotiating power but getting the basic low cost index funds for people would be awesome.

I figure having an internal referral would be nice, so PM me if so! Also feel free to share here who I should not bother looking at.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

movax posted:

Weird question but I’ll go for it, if any goons here work for Fidelity or similar, I’m looking to explore 401(k) options for my company (setting one up, started last year and now we have employees). We are very small, so not a lot of negotiating power but getting the basic low cost index funds for people would be awesome.

I figure having an internal referral would be nice, so PM me if so! Also feel free to share here who I should not bother looking at.

How many employees? My GF has 8 and uses guideline since she uses gusto for payroll. Seems pretty good so far. There were some posts about this awhile back with a guy who looked into the various options and costs more.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mmj posted:

The limit is $6,000 now. You can't go wrong either way, but I would contribute $115 a week just because I like dollar cost averaging. It makes me feel less bad if the market goes down in the short term, and if it only goes up, well darn, guess I'll wipe my tears with positive returns on every dollar I invested.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The limit is $6,000 now. You can't go wrong either way, but I would contribute $115 a week just because I like dollar cost averaging. It makes me feel less bad if the market goes down in the short term, and if it only goes up, well darn, guess I'll wipe my tears with positive returns on every dollar I invested.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/23/retirement/dollar-cost-averaging/index.html

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/investing/T023-C032-S014-the-problem-with-dollar-cost-averaging.html

DCA does not work. Please stop suggesting it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think it's fair to do some sort of automatic deduction or transfer if you're not disciplined or courageous enough to save it all up and then pull the trigger. Lots of people do better with saving when the money just kind of automatically disappears. But yeah, do not do this for DCA reasons - at most you should be doing it on a per-paycheck basis.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The first link is discussing rebalancing your stock to bond ratio by DCA instead of just rebalancing right now and then investing in line with your new allocation. The seconds conclusion is

quote:

Yes, dollar cost averaging is a sound principal, especially in the beginning, but don't be lulled into ignoring its diminishing impact over time.

Buffett recommends DCA because people can get discouraged if they put a bunch of money down immediately and then the market goes down, and it's an easy way to set and forget an investment. There's nothing wrong with either strategy that I've seen. Selecting between lump and DCA is infinitely less important than just ensuring you invest the money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
DCA is trading money for peace of mind.

Here in BFC we try to maximize money and explain why the peace of mind is an illusion.

DCA is far less harmful than Not Investing, but it's still ideal to do neither.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

You probably want a "SIMPLE IRA" plan - it's made just for folks like you assuming you have some small business number of employees.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-sponsor/simple-ira-plan
https://www.fidelity.com/retirement-ira/small-business/simple-ira/overview
https://investor.vanguard.com/small-business-retirement-plans/simple-ira

Unless you're dead set on 401k - I seem to recall there is some small business focused 401k company out there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Here in BFC we try to maximize money and explain why the peace of mind is an illusion.

You could argue the same thing about adding bonds to your portfolio later in life. Statistically over the long term, the market goes up 8% annually and returns far more than bonds, so in the world where we ignore risk tolerance, there's no point to ever have any other allocation than 100% stocks. But your risk profile changes over time, and everyone's tolerance is different to begin with. I mean me personally, it's not really a matter of choice. I would never end up in a situation where I have a $6,000 surplus I could throw at my Roth on the first day of the year, because that $6k would've already been invested incrementally over the previous year as soon as I got it, which is effectively dollar cost averaging, even though it could be argued that it's just frequent lump sum investments of every dollar I have available that is earmarked for investing.

But whatever the case, when things like December 2018 come around, I get excited rather than feeling like I'm missing out like I would've if I dropped $6k into my IRA in July 2018, which helps me stay the course. If you're just starting investing and you have $6k sitting in the bank and you want to put it all in a Roth IRA tomorrow, I'm not going to argue against that. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But over the long term dollar cost averaging in the form of investing every dollar you make that is earmarked for investing as soon as you get it is the way to go unless you get to the point that you are maxing out both your 401k and your IRA and still have enough left over to invest in other things. But even in that situation I think I would DCA the surplus in a taxable brokerage account rather than set it aside for a lump sum buy in my IRA the next year, because I wouldn't give a gently caress about retirement moneys at that point and I'd rather look at medium term savings for things in my 40's and 50's that I'd save through taxable accounts.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 12, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My former employer did matching 401k contributions, but I was only there long enough for 75% of their contributions to have vested. When I login to check my balance, my total reflects the vested and non-vested contributions, but they also give you a breakdown and I have ~$4k that's not vested. The information on the vesting page says:

quote:

If you leave the Company after completing four or more years of service, you will receive the entire value of the funds in your Plan accounts. You also become automatically 100% vested in Company contributions when you reach age 65, become totally and permanently disabled, die, or the Company terminates the Plan.

If you terminate employment before you are 100% vested, you will forfeit the non-vested portion of your Company Contributions adjusted for earnings and losses.

Does this mean I've already forfeited the 25%, despite it showing up in my balance, or is that only if I transfer the money to another fund? I'm wondering if the 100% vested when you reach 65 only applies if you're still working there when you hit 65, or if I leave this account alone for another almost 30 years that will finally vest.

I'd like to transfer it over to my new employer, but if it would one day vest it may be worth the hassle of leaving it where it is now. May being the key term, it doesn't seem like $4k is going to make or break my retirement, but that number will obviously grow with time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

You probably want a "SIMPLE IRA" plan - it's made just for folks like you assuming you have some small business number of employees.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-sponsor/simple-ira-plan
https://www.fidelity.com/retirement-ira/small-business/simple-ira/overview
https://investor.vanguard.com/small-business-retirement-plans/simple-ira

Unless you're dead set on 401k - I seem to recall there is some small business focused 401k company out there.

I want to offer a post-tax option as well and my understanding of SIMPLE is that it's only pre-tax. In my ideal world (I think), we'd try to get Fidelity and offer up no-fee trades on their mutual funds and the iShares ETFs they allow.

spwrozek posted:

How many employees? My GF has 8 and uses guideline since she uses gusto for payroll. Seems pretty good so far. There were some posts about this awhile back with a guy who looked into the various options and costs more.

18 right now, should be at 25 by end of the year.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

H110Hawk posted:

This is correct, a SIMPLE IRA is much easier administratively than a 401k. However, it does have a few minor disadvantages, which you may or may not care about :

* The cap is lower ($12k instead of $19k)
* the match rates are fixed
* there's no Roth option
* it will complicate backdoor Roths.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

MomJeans420 posted:

Does this mean I've already forfeited the 25%, despite it showing up in my balance, or is that only if I transfer the money to another fund? I'm wondering if the 100% vested when you reach 65 only applies if you're still working there when you hit 65, or if I leave this account alone for another almost 30 years that will finally vest.

I don't think it'll vest when you hit 65 unless you're then working with the company.

My last company had a provision where if you returned to the company within a certain amount of time (about 5 years, plus or minus a few months based on when the quarter boundaries landed), you could "pick up where you left off" in your 401k vesting, so they left my unvested balance around until I crossed the threshold and reclaimed it then. It might be that your old company has something similar buried in the fine print.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had a feeling that was the case, which means I can simplify my life and just transfer it over, thanks!

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a 401(k) from my previous employer at Fidelity, filled entirely with pre-tax contributions and employer matches. I'd like to move it to Vanguard because they have all my other savings.

I've also been unemployed for over a year. Since that means my earned income is currently $0, and my unearned income is tiny... wouldn't it be a perfect time to convert the traditional 401(k) to a Roth IRA? As far as I can tell, I "just" create a traditional IRA at Vanguard, transfer the contents of my traditional 401(k) at Fidelity into it, and then roll the entire thing over to a Roth IRA also at Vanguard - are there contribution limits, or just the "pay income tax on it as though it's taxable income" is the only thing that applies?

I was in your exact situation and did this last year (out of work for 1.5 years, transferred a mix of pre-tax and after-tax non-Roth 401(k)s over to my Roth IRA).

No contribution limits because you're not contributing (adding money) to a retirement account, you're converting. Just pay income tax.

Just be aware that, even though you've done the math and think you can stomach the income tax, it still hurts and is a huge punch in the gut once the tax numbers come out. Just be mentally prepared for it. Don't forget state taxes as well.

One other thing to be aware of: my tax guy told me was that since I was on Covered CA (California's health... thing related to Obamacare) while unemployed, I was paying my premiums as if my income were 0. There is going to be a chance that I might have to pay back some of my health care premiums -- we'll see.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Doesn't appear that I have to use any fancy backdoor strats, since I don't hit income limits or anything. Just straight up transfers, plus tax on the rollover. Am I missing anything here, whether factually or just a reason this wouldn't be as good an idea as it seems?

On whether it's a good idea or not, I guess it depends on the tax bracket now when you're converting, vs. your tax bracket when you retire. Assuming 100k, 20% overall tax rate now, 15% tax when you retire:

Pre-tax (no tax now; 15% tax rate when you retire, so take-home is 85%):
Net pay = (100k * (1 + growth)^(number of years)) * .85

Roth (you're paying 20% in taxes now so you're only investing 80k; take home 100% when you retire)
Net pay = (100k * .8) * (1 + growth)^(number of years)

Comparing both sides, the 100k and the (1 + growth)^(number of years) actually cancel out. So you're actually comparing a pre-tax of .85 vs. a Roth of .80. You're actually better off going with pre-tax for the same gross 100k. Because a lot of variables cancel out, you actually only need to do a simple straightforward comparison between tax rate now vs. future tax rate.

(In practice, when you'd be withdrawing portions of your investment in pieces, but you could split this out piecemeal into a sum of multiple years and the math turns out to be the same.)

(I personally made this mistake, and I probably would've been better off NOT converting my pre-tax to Roth.)

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 13, 2019

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Question of my own: My previous (large, with lots of negotiating power) employer's 401(k) plan allowed for mega backdoors, so I in fact did do that very bougie thing.

I now work for a much smaller company. It offers pre-tax and Roth, but it doesn't appear as if after-tax 401(k) is an option. If I just went up to my plan administrator and just asked, how likely is it for them to add after-tax + in-service withdrawals as a choice?

In other words, does it 'cost' the company anything to add it as a choice? Is Fidelity less incentivized to offer my company the choice?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

facepalmolive posted:

Question of my own: My previous (large, with lots of negotiating power) employer's 401(k) plan allowed for mega backdoors, so I in fact did do that very bougie thing.

I now work for a much smaller company. It offers pre-tax and Roth, but it doesn't appear as if after-tax 401(k) is an option. If I just went up to my plan administrator and just asked, how likely is it for them to add after-tax + in-service withdrawals as a choice?

In other words, does it 'cost' the company anything to add it as a choice? Is Fidelity less incentivized to offer my company the choice?

It's not a default feature of 401ks, it specifically has to be added into the plan document. It supposedly adds overhead as there is required means testing, and (potentially) refunds of some of the after-tax contributions if the benefit too heavily favors HCEs (highly compensated employees).

However, no harm in asking. Most people, I think, aren't even aware of it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Mine explicitly has an after-tax option which facilitates eventual Mega backdoor Roth, but no in-service rollovers to facilitate the Mega backdoor as I go. So I can only take advantage of it if I leave the company and rollover after-tax to Roth IRA. Since I'm not near the Roth IRA cutoff yet, I recently choose to switch from traditional 401k to Roth 401k to virtually increase my tax advantage space within my means. This was after maxing my traditional 401k for the last 5 years or so once I learned about index investing and such.

The rest of my 401k from the last 11.5 years is traditional, and now only the last two months have been Roth. But now if I leave, that latter portion (sans employer match, which is always put in as traditional contributions) can at least roll directly to a Roth IRA.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's fair to do some sort of automatic deduction or transfer if you're not disciplined or courageous enough to save it all up and then pull the trigger. Lots of people do better with saving when the money just kind of automatically disappears. But yeah, do not do this for DCA reasons - at most you should be doing it on a per-paycheck basis.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One more question on this topic. If IRA is already maxed and you're trying to get 401k maxed for 2019, which is the smarter option?
a) balance the remaining 12 pay periods in the year to an even 401k contribution percentage to hit the 19k limit by end of year
b) crank up the 401k contribution percentage as high as possible now to max out the annual 19k limit asap (would take 4 pay periods) and sustain monthly expenses using available savings

Based on what I've read on this page, option (b) is better as far as long-term growth?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

zaurg posted:

One more question on this topic. If IRA is already maxed and you're trying to get 401k maxed for 2019, which is the smarter option?
a) balance the remaining 12 pay periods in the year to an even 401k contribution percentage to hit the 19k limit by end of year
b) crank up the 401k contribution percentage as high as possible now to max out the annual 19k limit asap (would take 4 pay periods) and sustain monthly expenses using available savings

Based on what I've read on this page, option (b) is better as far as long-term growth?

B, but make sure your employer match (if you have one) isn't per pay period or you could end up leaving money on the table. I.e. if I were to crank my contributions way up and max before end of year my employer would not match my contributions after I've maxed out, but your plan may not work that way.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Your employer might also do a true-up, so that even if you front-load your contributions you'll still get their full match. It'll probably be at the end of the year, but at least you won't miss out on it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eldred posted:

B, but make sure your employer match (if you have one) isn't per pay period or you could end up leaving money on the table. I.e. if I were to crank my contributions way up and max before end of year my employer would not match my contributions after I've maxed out, but your plan may not work that way.

Yup this is what my employer does.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Shower thought: given that "past performance is no guarantee of future results", how is it that all of USA's retirement plans rely on the market going up and to the right in perpetuity, with swings and all? Is that normal for every country out there? Is it theoretically plausible that the economy goes to total poo poo for 20 years and people have nothing to live on when they retire?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreadCthulhu posted:

Shower thought: given that "past performance is no guarantee of future results", how is it that all of USA's retirement plans rely on the market going up and to the right in perpetuity, with swings and all? Is that normal for every country out there? Is it theoretically plausible that the economy goes to total poo poo for 20 years and people have nothing to live on when they retire?

Past performance isn't a guarantee, but at the same time, a 100 year track record is a 100 year track record. This is looking at 30 year spans rather than 20 year spans, but it still says a lot. The worst time in US history to invest was right before the great depression, and even then you still got over 7% annually. And if you were investing throughout the crash, all that money had outstanding returns as the market rebounded. To have the sort of affect you're discussing, you'd almost have to be talking about a collapse of the financial system, in which case, not having enough money to retire on when you get old is the least of your worries.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

If you invest your money and it doesn't pan out, then it really didn't matter what you did with your money because we're all eating dirt and trading bullets for handjobs in the wasteland. If you don't invest your money and it doesn't pan out, then you're eating cat food in a ground floor studio apartment below an aspiring DJ.

In short, even if it was theoretically plausible, it doesn't radically change your decision calculus at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Trabant posted:

Your employer might also do a true-up, so that even if you front-load your contributions you'll still get their full match. It'll probably be at the end of the year, but at least you won't miss out on it.

My employer just sent out an email making sure people knew they will true up front loaders.