Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i didn't remember correctly - the captain of the ship was able to signal the cops before the ship sailed out of wireless range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Harvey_Crippen

the first transatlantic cable predates the american civil war

Well, then. I honestly thought ship to ship wireless telegraph pre-dated the first cable like that. Any day I learn something new is a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's kind of staggering to imagine how easy it would be to get away with crimes in the past. Hell, it was a lot easier in the 70s.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Or how up until relatively recently, anyone could disappear completely just by cutting off all contact with everyone they knew, moving to a new town, and starting to use a new name.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's kind of staggering to imagine how easy it would be to get away with crimes in the past. Hell, it was a lot easier in the 70s.

Truly born in the wrong era

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

xtal posted:

Truly born in the wrong era

Just become a trucker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

Or how up until relatively recently, anyone could disappear completely just by cutting off all contact with everyone they knew, moving to a new town, and starting to use a new name.

A big part of that too is that in previous decades the kind of work you could find with no documentation of who you were and no personal connections was still good enough to get a roof over your head and feed yourself. Like, you could become a short order cook at a Dennys or a landscaper or something and build your life back up from there. Today those jobs either require ID or they just pay so terribly that you'd still have to live on the street.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It was one of final unnerving parts someone noted when covering Dead Corll's murders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Corll

Which is its own mess of horrifying. Not just the torture and murders, but an actively lovely police department just ignoring the murders because he was targetting poor families. And the rumors that they tried to stop the body recovery before he passed Gacy's number because they knew how bad it made the city look.

Before he was killed, it looked like Corll was getting ready to bail and move to the northwest and leave any possible murder allegations around the necks of his accomplices. And it was scary because it totally could have worked. All it took was enough money to move and you had a good chance of just getting away back then.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Basebf555 posted:

A big part of that too is that in previous decades the kind of work you could find with no documentation of who you were and no personal connections was still good enough to get a roof over your head and feed yourself. Like, you could become a short order cook at a Dennys or a landscaper or something and build your life back up from there. Today those jobs either require ID or they just pay so terribly that you'd still have to live on the street.

All I'm hearing is you not thanking capitalism for stopping serial killres

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It was one of final unnerving parts someone noted when covering Dead Corll's murders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Corll

Which is its own mess of horrifying. Not just the torture and murders, but an actively lovely police department just ignoring the murders because he was targetting poor families. And the rumors that they tried to stop the body recovery before he passed Gacy's number because they knew how bad it made the city look.

Before he was killed, it looked like Corll was getting ready to bail and move to the northwest and leave any possible murder allegations around the necks of his accomplices. And it was scary because it totally could have worked. All it took was enough money to move and you had a good chance of just getting away back then.

Also unnerving, since you mentioned both Corll and Gacy together:

Corll used young accomplices to procure victims and to help him kill, and given how far along into his escalation he was when he recruited his last two accomplices, it's considered highly likely that he had accomplices before. Whether he killed them or whether they got away cannot be known.

And it was also highly suspected that Gacy had accomplices doing a similar thing for him. He was definitely out of town when one murder occurred and a second murder requires an extremely unlikely timeline to put Gacy at the scene.

Robin Gecht, who was later convicted with two others of the 18 Chicago Ripper murders once worked for Gacy, and Gacy used his contracting business to bring in victims. Neither ever named the other, but that is one hell of a coincidence.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

luxury handset posted:

i didn't remember correctly - the captain of the ship was able to signal the cops before the ship sailed out of wireless range

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley_Harvey_Crippen

Ahh clever. But hey they could have used ICS code from off shore! Or used flashing lights to
communicate using Morse Code before the ship arrived. Boo, radio! Boo, I say!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

just become invisible, duh!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Delthalaz posted:

Ahh clever. But hey they could have used ICS code from off shore! Or used flashing lights to
communicate using Morse Code before the ship arrived. Boo, radio! Boo, I say!

Semaphores, damnit! Clacks!

e: Dennis Rader (BTK) would have gotten away scot free if he hadn't decided to start bragging to the police.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Dennis Rader (BTK) would have gotten away scot free if he hadn't decided to start bragging to the police.

Rader is usually who I point to when people say that profiling is completely worthless, because there are some basic insights into his personality that they were able to use to play him into giving them his personal info. Like, when a serial killer asks you whether or not you can get his information from a computer disc, there's probably a debate about whether or not lying to him would cause him to cut off contact and go underground. But they took the gamble and it paid off. So profiling is mostly just very basic psychology and personality stuff but it can still be a useful tool.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

> They obtained a warrant to test the DNA of a pap smear Rader's daughter had taken at the Kansas State University medical clinic when she was a student there.

This makes me really uncomfortable, and not in a Pap-smear sort of way. Basically, any tissue samples I have taken for strictly medical purposes can be used without my knowledge or permission for criminal-investigation purposes.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think of all the DNA farmed from those ancestry and 21andme sites that are totally just used for family tree stuff. Plus with Alexas and google homes listening in on things, its gonna be rough trying to get away with major crimes. Net gain? Debatable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
woops police state

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinni posted:

Think of all the DNA farmed from those ancestry and 21andme sites that are totally just used for family tree stuff. Plus with Alexas and google homes listening in on things, its gonna be rough trying to get away with major crimes. Net gain? Debatable.

That's how they got the Original Nightstalker, isn' t it?

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe so, through a relative that had was doing genealogy stuff. You think you're in the clear after decades since your last kill, just livin life as an old man with a family doo doo doo and suddenly the FBI is at your door.

:boom:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randaconda posted:

That's how they got the Original Nightstalker, isn' t it?

Yup. They confirmed it with dna from his car and trash can iirc so it seems... less dystopian?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

> They obtained a warrant to test the DNA of a pap smear Rader's daughter had taken atwhen the Kansas State University medical clinic...
That’s why I really hate Motherfuckers like btk. It takes so goddamn much for me to ignore everything else I think and feel in favor of ‘Get that motherfucker!’. But goddamn he scares me more than trump, bush, and all of their ags combined.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Remulak posted:

That’s why I really hate Motherfuckers like btk.
Harsh dude. “Hate” is a strong word. He’s just as cool as all the true crime podcast favorites if you give him a chance.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

But presumably they could have just used the boring old telegraph to beat a transatlantic ship, right?

IIRC what happened was the ship got the news Scotland Yard wanted the guy by wireless after they'd set sail and informed them the guy was traveling on the ship.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kevin Mitnick's autobiography is great for this. Lotta stuff about how he'd just social engineer his way into some small town hospital or courthouse where they'd had a fire or flood or whatever and had lost their old records, and then walk out with a stack of blank birth certificates and use them to set up new identities.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tashilicious posted:

septic tank installation

Septic tank installation? At this time of night? Near this remote pine stand? Localised entirely within this shallow 3 ft x 7 ft trench?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

quote:

An officer asked, "Mr. Rader, do you know why you're going downtown?" Rader replied, "Oh, I have suspicions why."

god drat

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Septic tank installation? At this time of night? Near this remote pine stand? Localised entirely within this shallow 3 ft x 7 ft trench?

May I see it?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh I was planning on you enjoying the details quite closely.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
What was that blog where the guy would post all these early modern and Victorian medical stories

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

InediblePenguin posted:

What was that blog where the guy would post all these early modern and Victorian medical stories

I’m sure this isn’t the one you’re thinking of (if you’re thinking of the one that reposts “what I found up a patient’s butt” stories), but The Quack Doctor is also awesome, though it’s more focused on patent medicines and crackpot medical devices.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah, that's not the one -- had a man's name for the url and had scans from very old medical books and journals along with transcriptions and explanations; a British site. that's a good one too though!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

https://www.thomas-morris.uk is probably what you’re thinking of.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Labes for days posted:

https://www.thomas-morris.uk is probably what you’re thinking of.

yes! thank you

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
just discovered this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCv6ycrTS6JXAEfs5dFZfijg

equal mix hoarding clean up and and crime scene clean up. seems like they just started doing longer "episodes," otherwise a lot of short clips. the crime scene clean ups are especially gnarly; no actual bodies, but the, uh, remnants are pretty intense, so watch at your own risk.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's actually still pretty easy to get away with most of the crimes that would land you in this thread. Basically just obscure your face, don't leak any of your fluids, and don't talk to the cops. Bam! iBundy.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Jeremy_X posted:

It's actually still pretty easy to get away with most of the crimes that would land you in this thread. Basically just obscure your face, don't leak any of your fluids, and don't talk to the cops. Bam! iBundy.

Yes random killing, no connection, no motive that can be found
Do it away from cameras and leave no trace of themselves...
How are they going to get caught?
:(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DemonDarkhorse posted:

just discovered this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCv6ycrTS6JXAEfs5dFZfijg

equal mix hoarding clean up and and crime scene clean up. seems like they just started doing longer "episodes," otherwise a lot of short clips. the crime scene clean ups are especially gnarly; no actual bodies, but the, uh, remnants are pretty intense, so watch at your own risk.

This is already gone I think

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yep, unavailable for me too.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

eating only apples posted:

This is already gone I think

well thats weird. its still there, just didn't link properly. search crime scene cleaning and/or spaulding decon

eta: crime scene cleaning is the actual name of the channel and let me try a single episode instead of the channel link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQat0VDs0w

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OutOfPrint posted:

I can't imagine wanting to be the #1 contractor in the pedophile sex dungeon community.

im pretty sure ive seen a goon in the diy forum who does a lot of custom fetish-related furniture and other wood projects. i think that's a pretty rad thing to do tho lmao

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanine posted:

im pretty sure ive seen a goon in the diy forum who does a lot of custom fetish-related furniture and other wood projects. i think that's a pretty rad thing to do tho lmao

If it's the guy i'm thinking of, he didn't set out to do this. Someone ordered a sex bench, he shrugged and did it to his usual furniture-making standards, and they told all their scene friends "hey this guy builds really high-quality BDSM furniture". Now he gets lots of orders and is happy enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Basebf555 posted:

Rader is usually who I point to when people say that profiling is completely worthless, because there are some basic insights into his personality that they were able to use to play him into giving them his personal info. Like, when a serial killer asks you whether or not you can get his information from a computer disc, there's probably a debate about whether or not lying to him would cause him to cut off contact and go underground.

I figured he was just stupid. It was absolutely possible in 2004 for someone with internet access to learn that it was possible to recover deleted files from a floppy disk, but he asked the loving police, people with no reason to tell him the truth

Kind of like how it's apparently a common misconception that undercover cops have to say they're cops if you ask them directly, despite the fact that if that were true, it would make undercover work completely impossible, but police departments are more than happy to let idiot criminals continue to believe it.