Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The only thing tanks “lost” is the need to waste time building hate.

And good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Terper posted:

Did the The Paths We Walk sidequest

/haurchefant

Conceptually I find it my favorite quest in the game. It's just "Hey, you went on a really big adventure. Why don't you go talk to everyone that was part of it as a sort of acknowledgment of everything that happened?". And you do talk to practically everyone, great or small, that was part of Heavensward. And you see where they are, and you might get a hint of where they are going or what has change, and in the end you share the moment with an old friend.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Sarrisan posted:

The only thing tanks “lost” is the need to waste time building hate.

And good riddance.

I think there's some merit in not liking the damage vs. mitigation changes with the tank stance change since it let you flex by staying alive and also dishing it out, but ultimately it's probably a healthier change for the game since there's less scrubby tanks dropping tank stance and dying for it. I've come to terms, tanking is still fun without the stance minigame. I only ever truly liked the act of stance dancing itself on Warrior anyway cause it was ogcd and free.

But if anyone hates the enmity changes, I dunno what to tell them. You never lost threat spamming Abyssal Drain or whatever in dungeon pulls anyway, and I no longer have to say "please use diversion on the pull so I can go longer than 2 minutes between using power slash" in encounters. Threat management was already a joke.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

I feel like we're not counting defensive cooldowns the same way or perhaps I have a bad understanding of what that term means.

Pld has rampart and sentinel. They used to have bulwark, awareness, convelesence, that parry 60 second cd.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

potaties posted:

I think there's some merit in not liking the damage vs. mitigation changes with the tank stance change since it let you flex by staying alive and also dishing it out, but ultimately it's probably a healthier change for the game since there's less scrubby tanks dropping tank stance and dying for it. I've come to terms, tanking is still fun without the stance minigame. I only ever truly liked the act of stance dancing itself on Warrior anyway cause it was ogcd and free.

But if anyone hates the enmity changes, I dunno what to tell them. You never lost threat spamming Abyssal Drain or whatever in dungeon pulls anyway, and I no longer have to say "please use diversion on the pull so I can go longer than 2 minutes between using power slash" in encounters. Threat management was already a joke.

Never used tank stance outside of using it as a ghetto cool down in savage content. Good riddance to that old incarnation of stances. They were non existent on the high end of things anyways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

potaties posted:

Two cooldowns? You don't sound like a tank

Yeah, every tank still has a plethora of cooldowns. I generally prefer the model they're moving towards with tanking, both because it encourages more people to play tanks and because it's more engaging. Giving them more complex rotations and stronger, shorter duration cooldowns to play around boss abilities with is both more interesting than aggro management and less of a design dead end.

Holyshoot posted:

Pld has rampart and sentinel. They used to have bulwark, awareness, convelesence, that parry 60 second cd.

PLD has fewer personal defensive cooldowns because they have more group utility compared to every other tank and have Clemency, which is uniquely strong as a tank self-heal due to it being resource limited instead of rate limited.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Uriangier is that guy who gets WAY too into his dnd character
No, that's the Crystal Exarch

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The removal of defensive stances was the best thing to happen to tanks. Doubly so for me because I HATED stance dancing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Terper posted:

Did the The Paths We Walk sidequest

/haurchefant

He truly was the bestest boy.

Speaking of the Ishgardians am I the only one hoping that Estinian come into play a lot more heavily in the post 5.0 story quests? I have kind of a soft spot for him, and it helps that he's probably the most powerful person who's on your side at the moment. His brief cameos in Stormblood were hype as gently caress, especially when he breaks that giant cannon. I know him and Gaius are going around busting up Black Rose facilities and infiltrating the empire. But I think it would be neat if he comes back as a big driver for whatever is in store for the post 5.0 content.

Comedy option Gaius and Estinian buddy cop quest line :v:

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ferrinus posted:

Bro, you just summoned cringe

Just taking the Lahabrea path. It's what he would have wanted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SettingSun posted:

The removal of defensive stances was the best thing to happen to tanks. Doubly so for me because I HATED stance dancing.
DRK is really fun now and makes my character look like a Heavy Metal cover. Both the magazine and the music.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Givin posted:

Just taking the Lahabrea path. It's what he would have wanted.
... Possessing the body of a moron?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Holyshoot posted:

Bulwark, awareness and anticipation were bad and pointless (except for 100% crit mechanics, all 2 or 3 of them in expansions past). In addition to the "two", they still have Hallowed Ground, OG as ever, Shelltron, vastly improved, Cover and Intervention for OT mitigation, Divine Veil and Passage of Arms for party mitigation.

They lost nothing of value.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

He truly was the bestest boy.

Speaking of the Ishgardians am I the only one hoping that Estinian come into play a lot more heavily in the post 5.0 story quests? I have kind of a soft spot for him, and it helps that he's probably the most powerful person who's on your side. His brief cameos in Stormblood were hype as gently caress, especially when he breaks that giant cannon. I know him and Gaius are going around busting up Black Rose facilities and infiltrating the empire. But I think it would be neat if he comes back as a big driver for whatever is in store for the post 5.0 content.

Comedy option Gaius and Estinian buddy cop quest line :v:

Him being the backup protagonist of Eorzea is something I really enjoy every time they come back to it. From him destroying the cannon, to driving back Zenos so he can rescue you, to taking up basically your job with the Scions while you're off in the First I feel like they're definitely setting things up for him to return to the main story.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Bulwark, awareness and anticipation were bad and pointless (except for 100% crit mechanics, all 2 or 3 of them in expansions past). In addition to the "two", they still have Hallowed Ground, OG as ever, Shelltron, vastly improved, Cover and Intervention for OT mitigation, Divine Veil and Passage of Arms for party mitigation.

Still less to worry about as they were definitely used in end game content regardless how bad they were. Either way tanking feels like it goes easier some so I see more people sticking around.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I truly wonder how much of the 5.x story will (spoilers I guess?) take place back in Eorzea. The First is a far more interesting place.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I truly wonder how much of the 5.x story will (spoilers I guess?) take place back in Eorzea. The First is a far more interesting place.
I'm hoping for an early visit to whatever country the Empire is. Garlemald, I think?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Atleast 5.1 and maybe 5.2 will involve us trying to ensure people can rebuild and Eulmore doesnt go to hell as well as putting out the fires Elidibus will be lighting in a desperate attempt to keep us on the First so we don't find a way to hunt him down and murder him/crush the Garlean Empire and utterly finish off their current plans.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Still less to worry about as they were definitely used in end game content regardless how bad they were. Either way tanking feels like it goes easier some so I see more people sticking around.

Sure, but that's not exactly an argument for their continued existence. The current paradigm - where you have limited access to catch-all damage reduction that you need to parcel out intelligently - requires more forethought and planning compared to rotating cooldowns like before, but it's also simpler for new players who might otherwise have been intimidated away by the large number of defensive CDs they had to keep constantly cycling.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And poo poo like chance to block or chance to parry were dumb to begin with. If it's not reliable, it's not a good defensive tool. I can't understand why they gave GNB a parry tool, even if it gives a flat 10%.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my immediate thought process after finishing shadowbringers:

emet selch is hades -> ascians can be major bosses from the final fantasy franchise -> elidibus lives on the moon -> i really hope elidibus' true name is zeromus!!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm hoping for an early visit to whatever country the Empire is. Garlemald, I think?

Yeah what they've shown of the Garlean capital in cutscene makes it look like a dreary snowy magitek city and that is completely my jam.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

my immediate thought process after finishing shadowbringers:

emet selch is hades -> ascians can be major bosses from the final fantasy franchise -> elidibus lives on the moon -> i really hope elidibus' true name is zeromus!!

Big Bang will be a really cool looking ultimate attack.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

And poo poo like chance to block or chance to parry were dumb to begin with. If it's not reliable, it's not a good defensive tool. I can't understand why they gave GNB a parry tool, even if it gives a flat 10%.

It's meant to give them a tool to help with dungeon packs, since they don't have nearly the same durability in larger pulls as some of the other tanks. It's why it's Parry chance instead of anything else: it's unreliable against bosses if you're looking to soak hits, but great against multiple autoattacks coming in constantly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

You forgot Arm's Length, a big one for trash that no one ever mentions.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Arms length is how you find the tool tip readers.

Ultimately, I’d say more people are going to play tanks if for no other reason than tanks are in the best place they’ve ever been. Gun breaker especially is perfect. I hope they never change a drat thing.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I kind of feel like GNB has too many buttons. Pretty hard limit of 32 buttons on controller (W bar is clunky), and I can only just fit in job and role actions into those.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When you're fighting a single enemy then Low Blow is like a 5-second Hallowed Ground with an extremely short cooldown :hai:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When you're fighting a single enemy, it's probably a boss so low blow won't work.

If it's not a boss, then you should pull more.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

FactsAreUseless posted:

... Possessing the body of a moron?

You wish Thancred was your dad. And yes.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CCing one of the big bruisers in a large pack can give you a surprising amount of breathing room. assuming you don't have a whm doing it for you of course

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Givin posted:

You wish Thancred was your dad.
What?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a response to that lmfao

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vermain posted:

It's meant to give them a tool to help with dungeon packs, since they don't have nearly the same durability in larger pulls as some of the other tanks. It's why it's Parry chance instead of anything else: it's unreliable against bosses if you're looking to soak hits, but great against multiple autoattacks coming in constantly.

Saint Freak posted:

I understand the reasoning, but it's bad reasoning. I don't really care about dungeon trash balance for the most part, or trash-focused CDs.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Been meaning to look it up, just found out how to use limit break. How important is it in ARR dungeons?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

When you're fighting a single enemy, it's probably a boss so low blow won't work.

If it's not a boss, then you should pull more.

Works on a decent amount of early dungeon bosses!

I wasn't entirely serious

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BisterdDave posted:

Been meaning to look it up, just found out how to use limit break. How important is it in ARR dungeons?

If you're a caster, and the tank is pulling big groups, it's nice to have to blow up the larger packs. Otherwise it shaves a few seconds off a boss. They're not a big deal.

Single target, melee does the most, followed by caster, followed by range.
Mutli target, caster does the most, followed by range

You'll almost never see tank or healer ones unless they're trolling. Raids are a different story.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 12, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You usually never see the tank one unless they're trolling. You will sometimes see the healer one in 8 or 24 person groups if it's late in the fight and a shitload of people are dead, because it's an AOE rez.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

general lb etiquette:

* tank only lbs on specific mechanics. i think in normal difficulty stuff it's still only used on alexander's high damage phase transition
* healer only lb3s in major emergencies to avoid a wipe
* it's AOK to ranged/caster lb on large trash pulls, especially difficult ones. while rare you should also lb to help finish multi-target bosses, like in the last Stormblood dungeon
* otherwise, melee DPS should lb the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

To be fair you almost never see any LB in a dungeon other than melee LB to finish off the last boss. Far too few ranged/caster DPS feel comfortable using it to nuke trash packs. I make it a point to comm any that do.