Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Hm, new and irritating bug.

After the dream sequence where you go confront Nyrissa during the Pitax Chapter it is impossible to leave my capital. I can go between zones, but neither the exit buttons nor the 'exit' choice in the zone selection does anything. I've gone back before that whole quest to a save outside my capital, turned off all my mods, and gone into the capital, completed the quest, and the same thing keeps happening.

Not real sure what to do with this, a game being unsalvageable this far in is irritating but oh well. I can be done with PF:K for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

grah posted:

Hm, new and irritating bug.

After the dream sequence where you go confront Nyrissa during the Pitax Chapter it is impossible to leave my capital. I can go between zones, but neither the exit buttons nor the 'exit' choice in the zone selection does anything. I've gone back before that whole quest to a save outside my capital, turned off all my mods, and gone into the capital, completed the quest, and the same thing keeps happening.

Not real sure what to do with this, a game being unsalvageable this far in is irritating but oh well. I can be done with PF:K for a while.

That's a new one. Thankfully I passed through that no problem just a couple days ago(just finished the game again today). Hitting lv 20 naturally during the House was hilarious, compared to how I barely made 17 at launch.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I made my whole pet party (Fey Druid, Mad Dog Barbarian, Cleric of Erastil, Sylvan Sorcerer and gave Linzy a level in that as well just so I can use her as a skill monkey and still have a pet, I need to disarm traps and unlock chests) with your guys' help, thank you all!

However, I triggered the finger of death trap by the sycamore with one of my bears and he went super dead. I had to raise dead on him and then quit the game and start again to get him to follow again. Now whenever he gets knocked down, he goes perma-dead again. Anyone know how I can fix that or am I stuck with a dead bear 99% of the time?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

deathbagel posted:

I made my whole pet party (Fey Druid, Mad Dog Barbarian, Cleric of Erastil, Sylvan Sorcerer and gave Linzy a level in that as well just so I can use her as a skill monkey and still have a pet, I need to disarm traps and unlock chests) with your guys' help, thank you all!

However, I triggered the finger of death trap by the sycamore with one of my bears and he went super dead. I had to raise dead on him and then quit the game and start again to get him to follow again. Now whenever he gets knocked down, he goes perma-dead again. Anyone know how I can fix that or am I stuck with a dead bear 99% of the time?

A proper rest should fix that.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

I rested at the inn 3 times, didn't work, bear was still dead as a doornail. That's when I used the raise dead scroll on him and he was STILL dead, so then I saved, closed out the game, re-loaded it and the bear was back, but like I said, every time he gets knocked down again he goes full on dead again now.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

Right your animal companions that are 'removed' are all resummoned as if from scratch after a rest.

Honestly, a party of 6 casters/rangers with animal companions to face tank things would be fun to run. If you are new to this game, those things are buffed way, way over what they are in pen and paper. Fully buffed they can tank just about anything, or at least do it long enough to make things dead.

deathbagel posted:

I rested at the inn 3 times, didn't work, bear was still dead as a doornail. That's when I used the raise dead scroll on him and he was STILL dead, so then I saved, closed out the game, re-loaded it and the bear was back, but like I said, every time he gets knocked down again he goes full on dead again now.

Okay, that sounds like a new bug. Yay.

Check your settings that the death's door didn't get turned off somehow.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you really want a skill-monkey pet owner you can make a Huntsmaster Inquisitor.

Check if your Bear has any drain effects or whatever that you might need to cure with restoration?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't think I've seen a bug yet apart from the game crashing when I try to alt-tab, and some casting special effects persisting if the target died before completion.

Some of the pathfinding is wonky and a lot of skills don't work like I expected them to but overall I'm having a very positive, polished experience.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I just ran into my first real bug where a dream keeps repeating, leaving you exhausted so you rest, trigger the dream again, it leaves you exhausted etc. Internet says reload will fix it, so no biggie.

But yeah, otherwise been very good so far and it feels very polished, agreed. While I liked the painted backdrops of the IE games and even ToEE, I like being able to fully rotate, zoom, and control the camera - though you have to add a mod to rotate the camera in this game, weirdly.

My big pet peeve right now is not being able to see the path someone will take in turn-based combat. ToEE had path arrows that even showed you any AoOs you would trigger on the way. Not complaining, I'm super happy to be able to play the game in turn-based mode in the first place and can deal with it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

v1ld posted:

I just ran into my first real bug where a dream keeps repeating, leaving you exhausted so you rest, trigger the dream again, it leaves you exhausted etc. Internet says reload will fix it, so no biggie.

But yeah, otherwise been very good so far and it feels very polished, agreed. While I liked the painted backdrops of the IE games and even ToEE, I like being able to fully rotate, zoom, and control the camera - though you have to add a mod to rotate the camera in this game, weirdly.

My big pet peeve right now is not being able to see the path someone will take in turn-based combat. ToEE had path arrows that even showed you any AoOs you would trigger on the way. Not complaining, I'm super happy to be able to play the game in turn-based mode in the first place and can deal with it.

Perhaps you should visit Nettle's crossing. If done already, guess it's a bug.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Wouldn't Linzi's pet be super low level that way? Think boon companion only get it +4 levels to compensate for Rangers and Animal Domain pets.

Maybe find out which pet is dead and respec that character with the respec mod to clear whatever bug is hitting it.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

Wouldn't Linzi's pet be super low level that way? Think boon companion only get it +4 levels to compensate for Rangers and Animal Domain pets.

Maybe find out which pet is dead and respec that character with the respec mod to clear whatever bug is hitting it.

Yea, I just did it to keep the theme and the rest of the party is overpowered enough that it makes up for the difference.

I might have to try the respec mod and see if I change to a non-pet class, then change back, if it clears that bug, that's a good idea.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Perhaps you should visit Nettle's crossing. If done already, guess it's a bug.

After the first time the dream occurs, is it supposed to repeat on every rest until you visit the crossing? Because that's what was happening - it's interrupting every rest leaving the MC exhausted permanently.

I reloaded from right before the dream and the dream hasn't come back yet.

I like how they've implemented skill checks all over the maps. Having to take off breastplate to have a better chance at a mobility check is kinda neat, actually.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

v1ld posted:

After the first time the dream occurs, is it supposed to repeat on every rest until you visit the crossing? Because that's what was happening - it's interrupting every rest leaving the MC exhausted permanently.

I like how they've implemented skill checks all over the maps. Having to take off breastplate to have a better chance at a mobility check is kinda neat, actually.

AFAIK you are actually supposed to randomly get that dream until you go to the crossing. The reason why you're being pestered is obvious when talk to the dude.

The exhaustion is the urge to get there and deal with it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

v1ld posted:

Actually, yes, you're supposed to be tired until you go visit the place the dream refers to. Linzi puts it in the journal, too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there a penalty to taking my advisers out of state when they're supposed to be working on missions?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

sassassin posted:

Is there a penalty to taking my advisers out of state when they're supposed to be working on missions?

Nope, they seem to have no problem splitting their duties.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sassassin posted:

Not officially, but I tend to leave my advisers at home while they're on a case as a RP thing. That's just me, though. :shrug:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

sassassin posted:

There's one risk : if they die-die while adventuring, any kingdom mission they were on is cancelled and if they cost BP it's not refunded. Even if they catch a Breath of Life in the next round.
Ask me how I learned while having Jubilost work on the 1500 BP trade deal. I promise I won't cry. Because I'm still drunk from that day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Attribute damage seems brutal. A couple of breath attacks and two of my party members die from attributes hitting 0.

Fear is devastating as well for how many attacks of opportunity scaredy cats eat while running away.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

sassassin posted:

Attribute damage seems brutal. A couple of breath attacks and two of my party members die from attributes hitting 0.

Fear is devastating as well for how many attacks of opportunity scaredy cats eat while running away.

Delay Poison and it's better brother, Communal Delay Poison are much better than their description actually indicates. The text box says that if you get hit with poison while it's up, it will take effect after the spell ends, but what actually happens is that you're completely immune to poison for the whole duration. I haven't tested with what happens if you get poisoned, still have a save coming and then someone casts delay, but maybe in that case it gets you later?

Anyway, figuring that out made me have to cast a whole shitload fewer lesser restorations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

Delay Poison and it's better brother, Communal Delay Poison are much better than their description actually indicates. The text box says that if you get hit with poison while it's up, it will take effect after the spell ends, but what actually happens is that you're completely immune to poison for the whole duration. I haven't tested with what happens if you get poisoned, still have a save coming and then someone casts delay, but maybe in that case it gets you later?

Anyway, figuring that out made me have to cast a whole shitload fewer lesser restorations.

Technically, the poison keeps trying to affect you. That is why you still see the log say 'fortitude save failed/succeeded'. Same when you walk into Stinking cloud. The chance that you will keep failing the fortitude save until the spell expires is extremely low. So you are effectively immune while it's up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Going to Nettle's Crossing immediately was a good idea. As is paying more attention to the journal.

Should I go for the Stag Lord as soon as I can or clear the map instead of trying to get the special reward for doing it in less than 30 days? The reward looks nice but there's a lot of stuff I could be doing right now instead of feeling rushed later.

Time limits are not my favorite thing in just about every cRPG I've played.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

v1ld posted:

Going to Nettle's Crossing immediately was a good idea. As is paying more attention to the journal.

Should I go for the Stag Lord as soon as I can or clear the map instead of trying to get the special reward for doing it in less than 30 days? The reward looks nice but there's a lot of stuff I could be doing right now instead of feeling rushed later.

The reward is merchant fodder unless you have a Dueling Sword user in your party, and even then it's not amazing, though it's probably an upgrade over whatever you have at the time.

Going after the Stag Lord as soon as possible may prove difficult if your party isn't at least a bit optimized or if you aren't quite good at the combat system. It's a variable difficulty fight based on how you have handled certain events throughout the chapter and even more heavily based on how you conduct yourself on that map. Drop a hard save as soon as you enter and figure out how you want to tackle the fight, it can be beaten at remarkably low levels with a carefully built and managed party and it can be kind of difficult even at the maximum normal level (assuming no weird solo shenanigans) if you do nothing to mitigate some of the difficulty.

On a solo run it's hilariously easy because you can be like level 11 and literally nothing on the map is a threat to you at that point. Solo runs are basically trivial from about level 5 through 15 until the game starts to catch up, it's really fun.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm surprised there's no "disable all quest failure timers" mod yet, thinking about it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

v1ld posted:

Doing it in 30 days(along with everything else) is mostly for bragging rights. You will save more time in the long run by making sure you explore every node available in this chapter before you report your victory over Stag Boy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Roadie posted:

I'm surprised there's no "disable all quest failure timers" mod yet, thinking about it.

later on quests require waiting and only advance on certain days, so i'm not sure that it's possible

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So it doesn't matter if you have a bunch of places still to explore when chapter 2 and kingdom management begin?

I think I'll take my time and level up to 4-5 before going after the Stag Lord.

E:

JamMasterJim posted:

Doing it in 30 days(along with everything else) is mostly for bragging rights. You will save more time in the long run by making sure you explore every node available in this chapter before you report your victory over Stag Boy.

Perfect, that's what I want to do.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Bag of Tricks can basically do anything you're surprised a mod can't do. I'm pretty sure it can either suspend quest timers when they're about to fail or just suspend time entirely when quests are near failure.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

For anyone else new to this game: don't ignore the Offer/Clear/settings button on the bottom right of the shop UI. It'll transfer all the merchant junk into the sell pile and it's easy to then pick out the stuff you may not want to sell.

Encumbrance is done kind of well in this game, the knock on effects have some weight (haha): speed of local/map travel, frequency of rest from both fatigue and time spent traveling.

I just lugged a bunch of junk back to Oleg's from Old Sycamore and the Temple of the Elk. Of the 453 kgs of stuff I sold, 357 kgs was worth just 99 gold - all the stuff that had a < 1 ratio of gold/kg. From the remaining 96 kgs, 42 lbs was worth 42 gold - the stuff with ratio = 1.

I think I'm gonna skip picking up anything that weighs more than its value in gold.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 14, 2019

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Centipedes? In MY barony? They're more likely than you oh no-

More seriously, I have several positions open, but I don't get how to fill the ones I have nobody for, like economics, which sounds important.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Helion posted:

More seriously, I have several positions open, but I don't get how to fill the ones I have nobody for, like economics, which sounds important.

Either wait for the next main quest to start and Visit the Ford over Skunk river or buy the DLC Wildcards. For the rest, you need to rank up your Kingdom stats (Rank 3, value 60) for Community, Loyalty, Military , Divine and Relations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's a potential treasurer very near the capital.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Helion posted:

For economics, you can get: 1)The DLC girl, available immediately at the start of Chapter 2; 2) Jubilost, who will appear at the Skunk Ford with a broken-down wagon only after you've been informed of the impending troll menace in Chapter 2; 3) The guy down at the Lonely House after some plot happens in Chapter 2.

Don't use mercs for advisors, they are broken and won't let you rank up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've just finished Spider Cave and you know what? Even if the game turns to complete poo poo from this point on I still like and appreciate what its trying to do. It's really trying to deliver that actual tabletop experience via the medium of a crpg.

Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate never felt like anything over than a video game. With this I can almost hear the DM's voice 'okay you arrive at the trading post, it's under attack! ... you head into the forest, where do you want to try to find? The spider cave? Okay after a few hours you find it. You go inside and there's two giant spiders staring at you'.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks a lot for the answers!

My monk just hit level 5, and now she can trip attack every round. This seems....great? Is this somehow not great?

Also, I didn't know what I was doing and left the right legged menace event open while wandering around. I hope this doesn't ruin my little barony :(

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Helion posted:

My monk just hit level 5, and now she can trip attack every round. This seems....great? Is this somehow not great?

If you're going strength-build it's fantastic, yeah. It has an annoying habit of turning off whenever you enter a new area or rest though so keep an eye out that its always enabled. Monks are pretty drat good imo. With Dragon Ferocity + Power Attack my monk hits almost as hard as Amiri but with a higher attack bonus and an extra attack and auto-trips on hit. And with Dex + Wis/Char + Barkskin you can get decent AC too. AND you're insanely fast with other abilities for utility.

Monks also make some of the best tanks too.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Helion posted:

Also, I didn't know what I was doing and left the right legged menace event open while wandering around. I hope this doesn't ruin my little barony :(

You do need to solve the eight legged menace event but if it's just the kingdom event and you still deal with the other quest prompts i /think/ you'll be okay? Still get someone on that if you can..

Tripping is great, prone is extremely debilitating in this game since prone characters will take no options other than trying to get up, which provokes attacks of opportunity from everyone in range.

The downside to a trip build is that flying creatures and some others are outright immune, and multilegged or very large creatures have pretty large bonuses against being tripped. A trip build is really strong overall but there will be occasional fights where it is basically useless.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

My first complete play through was with a scaled fist monk; monks rock in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Helion posted:

Make sure you pick up the Trip feats and Fury's Fall. They make the trip check much easier to land.