Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
UNT is jazz nerds, yeah. I think SMU is theater nerds? Maybe Southwestern, who knows. The last batch of famous university-based Texas actors that I know of popped out of UT when I was there in the 1990s, but probably just a blip - McConaughey, Zellweger, etc. The Linklater crew. Kathy Bates went to SMU, IIRC. A&M boasts Eva Longoria and one of the chiseled jaw CSI guys or something predictable, though Eva should really be credited to Corpus Christi, along with Farrah Fawcett and Selena. The best Texas actors always come from absurdly small town backgrounds, whatever they do along the way to make it - like Tommy Lee Jones or Jamie Foxx or Sissy Spacek or Woody Harrelson (or Bongo Boy, I suppose).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Both Randy Quaid and Brent Spiner went to Bellaire. :colbert:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Houston has a weird smorgasbord of actors. I think Hillary Duff, if we can call her an actor. Shelley Duvall. Patrick Swayze. The Ally McBeal guy and the hot foreign exchange student from American Pie. I don't think any of them are connected in any particular way though, heh. It's very Houstonian - "Yeah, we're all from there. Dunno. Just kind of made our way up. You guys have Tex-Mex?" Probably some I'm missing.

All Houston-proud folks have a silent chip on their shoulder about being ignored as the country's most important modern city and memorize all these kinds of facts. Anyone who denies this publicly is being extremely Houstonian and actually does the same things, so you cannot trust their denials.

Also you have to poo poo on Dallas, roll your eyes at Austin (except for BBQ) and begrudgingly accept San Antone as the only other city with good Tex-Mex, while always pointing out that it was invented in Houston. Etc. etc.

EDIT: Every time a magazine like The Economist writes an article about how Houston is going to become a major world city, you are required by un-written Houstonian custom to forward this to all of your Houston-proud acquaintances who will silently smile and not respond, while forwarding it to all of their acquaintances. Then you poo poo on anything Fertita owns and go eat at Ninfa's on Navigation while making fun of Torchy's or Freebirds or whatever Central Texas is pretending counts as Tex-Mex these days.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 12, 2019

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Stop reading my diary.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ReindeerF posted:

UNT is jazz nerds, yeah. I think SMU is theater nerds? Maybe Southwestern, who knows. The last batch of famous university-based Texas actors that I know of popped out of UT when I was there in the 1990s, but probably just a blip - McConaughey, Zellweger, etc. The Linklater crew. Kathy Bates went to SMU, IIRC. A&M boasts Eva Longoria and one of the chiseled jaw CSI guys or something predictable, though Eva should really be credited to Corpus Christi, along with Farrah Fawcett and Selena. The best Texas actors always come from absurdly small town backgrounds, whatever they do along the way to make it - like Tommy Lee Jones or Jamie Foxx or Sissy Spacek or Woody Harrelson (or Bongo Boy, I suppose).

Texas State has an amazing technical theatre program that is a pretty decent on-road to getting a legitimate career in the field (something that's tremendously rare for most schools' theatre departments).

Austin is starting to generate some serious acting and comedy talent, but it's pretty much completely divorced from UT. The UT department of theatre and dance is so mediocre and myopic that their students are actively harming their chances for having a career in the field by majoring there. (Like, the department still seriously frowns on their students doing "outside theatre" and performing anywhere but the school, basically cutting them off from the growing number of opportunities that are just outside campus.) The Radio-Television-Film department is much better, since they're in a different college (Communications vs. Fine Arts), don't put similar stupid restrictions on their students, and have the ties to the Austin Film Society. Basically every major actor to actually come out of UT was a RTF major and not an actual Acting major.

But yeah, if I were to give some advice to an incoming UT freshman who wanted to pursue acting, I'd tell them to avoid the department of theatre and dance at all cost, try to get into RTF if possible, but whether or not you get into RTF just start hanging out at the local improv theaters in town and doing improv/sketch. You'll encounter more casting opportunities and more chances to start getting work there than anywhere else. (But, you know, still get your UT degree so you can get a day job that isn't lovely. For every local actor and comic I know who is building a decent career for themselves, I know 10 guys who went all-in but aren't getting the work and now they're in their 40s working at coffee shops/juiceland/etc with no idea how they're gonna pay next month's rent.)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I work at one of the regional A&M's and some of the weird stereotypes you guys describe about A&M definitely infects some here. A lot are just trying to do their two years and then transfer to save money or improve their grades.

I'm not from Texas so school chat is super interesting, keep going.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
UTD was for engineering but they are bulking up their non-ECS offerings like the huge gently caress off 'Arts and Technology' school, rather well regarded business (MBA) school, and the huge new physics building they are in the middle of doing. Not to mention they plan to knock down one of their 70s-80s era buildings and the closest parking lot to the middle of campus for an actual factual 'quad'

(Yes, I went there for my ug, and I'm planning on either doing my phd there or at SMU.)

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

2%ers represent

:hfive:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Gig Them, class of 2004

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

saintonan posted:

Pan Am was Edinburg. UTRGV is the old UTB down by Fort Brown.

It's all UT RGV now, they merged the schools and changed the name.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

oh hey it's me the communist undergrad aggie who moved from ~the north~ to be here.

i made mistakes, but college football is still good. the death threats, less so.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, Houston has a weird smorgasbord of actors. I think Hillary Duff, if we can call her an actor. Shelley Duvall. Patrick Swayze. The Ally McBeal guy and the hot foreign exchange student from American Pie. I don't think any of them are connected in any particular way though, heh. It's very Houstonian - "Yeah, we're all from there. Dunno. Just kind of made our way up. You guys have Tex-Mex?" Probably some I'm missing.

All Houston-proud folks have a silent chip on their shoulder about being ignored as the country's most important modern city and memorize all these kinds of facts. Anyone who denies this publicly is being extremely Houstonian and actually does the same things, so you cannot trust their denials.

Also you have to poo poo on Dallas, roll your eyes at Austin (except for BBQ) and begrudgingly accept San Antone as the only other city with good Tex-Mex, while always pointing out that it was invented in Houston. Etc. etc.

EDIT: Every time a magazine like The Economist writes an article about how Houston is going to become a major world city, you are required by un-written Houstonian custom to forward this to all of your Houston-proud acquaintances who will silently smile and not respond, while forwarding it to all of their acquaintances. Then you poo poo on anything Fertita owns and go eat at Ninfa's on Navigation while making fun of Torchy's or Freebirds or whatever Central Texas is pretending counts as Tex-Mex these days.

This is literally every native Houstonian I've ever met.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BDavisAAS/status/1149663891535720448

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I can keep adding to the list.

Every time someone writes an article about Chicago becoming America's fourth-largest city as Houston becomes the third-largest, you have to send that to everyone you know from Chicago.

I'm pretty sure after Bourdain did his Houston episode, 99.99% of the views online were Houstonians forwarding it back and forth and watching it on repeat for weeks at a time.

The thing about it is, it's not unhappy, it's not like the British sitting around on stools in pubs bitching, I think Houstonians are genuinely perplexed, heh.

"Why haven't they noticed?"

I know my people!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/senjudiciary/status/1149680625554776069

gently caress offf

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Please, someone, get photos of Graham in a seersucker suit, wearing a bowtie, fanning himself with his kerchief as he is overcome by the vapors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dwil/status/1149307067280306178

Great offensive mind AND he'll cover up your star players' sex crimes? You don't turn that down.

quote:

The overwhelming feeling among the town's power brokers is that this was an unbelievable opportunity -- a chance to help a coach who was clearly wronged, in their opinion; a lucky break for a small town to get a legendary coach who had been made a scapegoat by the Baylor board of regents.
McCullough told KWTX-TV in Waco that he was excited, that "I really didn't think someone of his coaching pedigree would be willing to say yes to Mount Vernon, Texas." Pepper Puryear, the longtime pastor at First Baptist Church, celebrated the news on Twitter on the night of the hire, saying, "It's a great day to be a Tiger!"

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

ReindeerF posted:

I can keep adding to the list.

Every time someone writes an article about Chicago becoming America's fourth-largest city as Houston becomes the third-largest, you have to send that to everyone you know from Chicago.

I'm pretty sure after Bourdain did his Houston episode, 99.99% of the views online were Houstonians forwarding it back and forth and watching it on repeat for weeks at a time.

The thing about it is, it's not unhappy, it's not like the British sitting around on stools in pubs bitching, I think Houstonians are genuinely perplexed, heh.

"Why haven't they noticed?"

I know my people!

https://houstonitsworthit.com/

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
As someone who didn't grow up in or go to college in Texas (instead went to a quirky liberal arts college with no football team in Arkansas), the cult following of Texas A&M really throws me off. My fiancee's cousin got married and the wedding included a bizarre circle of aggies doing a bunch of chants. One of my fiancee's uncles jumped into the circle to throw a hook 'em, and was pretty angrily pushed out of the room. Apparently at a different family wedding, some family members messed up the bride's Longhorn cake out of rivalry. It seems to go well beyond the scope of playful rivalry.

I did go to to UT-Austin for grad school though, so hook 'em.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

“You never have to worry about falling off a cliff or being buried in a landslide.”

proof that Houstonians are loving idiots

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/dwil/status/1149307067280306178

Great offensive mind AND he'll cover up your star players' sex crimes? You don't turn that down.

As someone who grew up in that area, raping children but then getting absolved by going to the nearest fundy church for a bit is disturbingly common. It's not even necessarily covering up the crimes of the players, it's the coaches themselves abusing their power over teenage athletes. Sometimes they may actually get fired for raping children, but usually they just get cycled into an admin position or put in charge of younger kids to minimize their exposure to the teenagers. Even if they are fired they just start attending the biggest baptist church in another district to make some connections and get another coaching position and just bounce around from district to district every couple of years. The same applies to youth pastors, deacons, pretty much anyone in power over kids.

The whole region is a loving cesspit that epitomizes everything terrible about the bible belt and american christianity in general.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

As someone who grew up in that area, raping children but then getting absolved by going to the nearest fundy church for a bit is disturbingly common. It's not even necessarily covering up the crimes of the players, it's the coaches themselves abusing their power over teenage athletes. Sometimes they may actually get fired for raping children, but usually they just get cycled into an admin position or put in charge of younger kids to minimize their exposure to the teenagers. Even if they are fired they just start attending the biggest baptist church in another district to make some connections and get another coaching position and just bounce around from district to district every couple of years. The same applies to youth pastors, deacons, pretty much anyone in power over kids.

The whole region is a loving cesspit that epitomizes everything terrible about the bible belt and american christianity in general.

:hmmyes:

Don't trust youth pastors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Draw a circle around Dallas metro and cede the rest of North Texas to Oklahoma.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

"We polled college fans and asked them who their biggest rival was," Havard said. "Texas has 11 different teams identifying them as a rival, by far the most in the country."

l m f a o

okay so let's guess who they are. the entire big 12 plus A&M and arkansas? maybe colorado and nebraska, SMU or houston

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You think the interim is gonna stop state lawmakers from sticking their nose into poo poo they can't do anything about?

https://twitter.com/TexasHDC/status/1149759594995974144

See also House Judiciary Dems delaying the Mueller hearing a week so every member down to the most junior could get their five minutes of grandstanding.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A&M football cult is the best as A&M hasn't won loving poo poo in literally forever

Losers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A&M football cult is the best as A&M hasn't won loving poo poo in literally forever

Losers

the end of the a&m/ut game was really good for them since it means people can continue to pretend they're a real rivalry

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

You think the interim is gonna stop state lawmakers from sticking their nose into poo poo they can't do anything about?

https://twitter.com/TexasHDC/status/1149759594995974144

See also House Judiciary Dems delaying the Mueller hearing a week so every member down to the most junior could get their five minutes of grandstanding.

Listening to the txlege hearing so far, at the very least I'm learning a lot.

The Republicans were also whining about it, to be fair, but I am so tired of all the stupid grandstanding in these federal hearings. They were trying to not waste time with bullshit grandstanding, but apparently they're never allowed to be strategic and not waste time. We can't have nice things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Listening to the txlege hearing so far, at the very least I'm learning a lot.

The Republicans were also whining about it, to be fair, but I am so tired of all the stupid grandstanding in these federal hearings. They were trying to not waste time with bullshit grandstanding, but apparently they're never allowed to be strategic and not waste time. We can't have nice things.

You put a mic in front of a Rep, state or federal, and that's your afternoon. 150/435 people running for Senate twenty four seven

Though putting a time limit on member comments (and only invited oral testimony, only written public, sorry about your per diem, lobbyists) is something i wish Texas would adopt at the Lege

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

l m f a o

okay so let's guess who they are. the entire big 12 plus A&M and arkansas? maybe colorado and nebraska, SMU or houston

Big 12 minus Kansas and Oklahoma State plus A&M, Arkansas and Rice, and I have no idea who the 11th could be.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

You put a mic in front of a Rep, state or federal, and that's your afternoon. 150/435 people running for Senate twenty four seven

Though putting a time limit on member comments (and only invited oral testimony, only written public, sorry about your per diem, lobbyists) is something i wish Texas would adopt at the Lege

Add a time/number limit to invited oral testimony too. I did public testimony at an interim hearing where there were an absurd number of invited witnesses to talk about the evils of medication and how mental illness is fake. They were all allowed to come up for multiple charges with zero time limits, and the government agency had to wait until 6pm to speak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Add a time/number limit to invited oral testimony too. I did public testimony at an interim hearing where there were an absurd number of invited witnesses to talk about the evils of medication and how mental illness is fake. They were all allowed to come up for multiple charges with zero time limits, and the government agency had to wait until 6pm to speak.

Senate does time limits at least. It's not like uninvited personal public testimony (I'm a taxpayer a mother and I'm representing myself and my three wonderful, vaccine injured children) has ever changed a vote. Maybe on some highly technical stuff that the witness has intimate knowledge of the topic, but rarely. It's different if you're repping an org, but if you say “I represent myself” you ain't doing poo poo but jerking yourself off. Oh look a billion people from Austin are here to testify against the GOPs latest bullshit, I'm sure that Rep. Dumb gently caress from Sundown Texas will take your views into consideration

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bizarro Watt posted:

Going to A&M for grad school is a bizarre experience.

It has one of the best veterinary schools in the country though, which is cool.

My partner teaches there :)

A&M is one of the best public research universities in the US, hands down. But it also does so, so many things very wrong.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Senate does time limits at least. It's not like uninvited personal public testimony (I'm a taxpayer a mother and I'm representing myself and my three wonderful, vaccine injured children) has ever changed a vote. Maybe on some highly technical stuff that the witness has intimate knowledge of the topic, but rarely. It's different if you're repping an org, but if you say “I represent myself” you ain't doing poo poo but jerking yourself off. Oh look a billion people from Austin are here to testify against the GOPs latest bullshit, I'm sure that Rep. Dumb gently caress from Sundown Texas will take your views into consideration

I don't know, man. A lot of us backed off from organization public testimony because we were told it wasn't needed, then I started hearing legislators repeat some crazy poo poo they overheard from personal public testimony that shows up every time. Enough public testimony repeats the myth the scientologists came up with that 90% of school shooters were on antidepressants, eventually you hear rational enough people start repeating it. You spend hours hearing the same message over and over again, it's going to impact you in some way.

But people who go to testify to just yell "Shame! Shaaame!" need to just stop. Smug bullshit there.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

My partner teaches there :)

A&M is one of the best public research universities in the US, hands down. But it also does so, so many things very wrong.

This. I hate everything about A&M other than the academics and despite that hate I have no regrets going here. However, if the sense of community that A&M provides to its cishet republican middle class white kids can somehow be extended to all of our students, there is potential to transform my garbage school into something great.

That would, of course, require exiling basically most all the student body, but I think that's worth it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Losers

Because everything is ritualized in a cult, at football games you are supposed to kiss your date whenever A&M scores. When my mom was a student there, the football team was so bad they changed the rule to just every time A&M got a first down. It still didn't happen that often.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

i say swears online posted:

l m f a o

https://twitter.com/TelcoAg/status/1149868880208322560

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oh wow I guessed better than I expected

lol okie state

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

There is literally no way that anything close to a majority of OSU fans hate Texas more than OU. The little brotherism of Okie State knows no bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
I find the dumb way Matthew McConaughey raises his horns to be infinitely more offensive than the horns down.