Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VH4Ever posted:

OK. Anti-labor...acknowledging that volunteering to campaigns has literally been a thing as long as campaigns have existed. Right. Boy, you better not check who is and who isn't drawing a salary from within the ranks of Bernie's army, you might not like what you find based on what people ITT seem to think is going on!

My actual argument, which you're helping prove correct, is this thread is full of a bunch of "No True Scotsman" pedants who are only interested in tearing literally everyone else down that isn't 110% onboard with whatever their unique, individual brand of politics is and sees anyplace not populated with actual clones of themselves as some pit of vipers full of potential blood enemies. Most of y'all are for Bernie, true, but I'm not sure most of you even see him as a real, flawed human being like anyone else anymore. Even when I supported Warren I ticked off a list of her admitted faults. I doubt half you Bernie stanning holier than thou motherfuckers ITT have that kind of objectivity within you to ever do the same. I've not seen it yet.

Funny part is one off remark from Bernie and you'd cancel his rear end too.

You're just now figuring this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Incidentally, according to the article, some other campaigns offer similar positions, but they're either paid or guarantee academic credit. Only Warren and Biden offer it as an unpaid position with no academic credits earned.

Bernie doesn't offer it at all. All of his internship positions are paid.

E: To be clear, unpaid internships that offer academic credit are also bad. Just not as bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I just had an overwhelming need to remake the "A Man, A Plan, A canal, Panama" into an a Warren slogan deriding her plan for everything but I suck at palindromes. SOMEONE DO SOMETHING

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ogmius815 posted:

I wonder if Bernie pays everyone who performs work for his campaign :thunk:

if he doesn’t that’s Bad and Bernie should pay them all , give them decent healthcare and union benefits as we would expect from every other candidate . But Bernie , being a progressive and not a shambling republican zombie like Warren , has actual principles

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I just had an overwhelming need to remake the "A Man, A Plan, A canal, Panama" into an a Warren slogan deriding her plan for everything but I suck at palindromes. SOMEONE DO SOMETHING

Yeah plans sure are bad.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ardennes posted:

The obvious issue is that the February Revolution had already happened, and the reason why the workers and soldiers threw their lot with the Bolsheviks was because of the general failures of both Lvov and Kerensky to both affect any real change or stop the war. Also, the right SRs actually who got a majority really couldn't capitalize on their support in the countryside in a large part because they were a largely decentralized one issue party that (clearly) wasn't prepared to actually run the country (there is a reason why they got lost in the mix later). It wasn't because of "Russian culture" but ultimately what choices were available, and the rise of the Bolsheviks was the result of the general failures of their opposition to affect any real course of action.

I think you're presenting the Bolsheviks as too passive an actor here. Menshiviks had a functioning majority-government in Georgia until the Bolsheviks kicked them out. The Bolsheviks also began dispersing and closing down "opposition" newspapers in 1918. They weren't really interested in a collaborative or multi-party left government. The Bolsheviks did an excellent job of seizing power and holding on to it through propaganda, policy, planning and violence (and set a good lesson for any revolutionary today)... but again, given that the peasants and their various parties composed about 80-90% of the population, their political/cultural will was hardly being represented. i.e. I don't believe the RKP(b)'s success at taking and holding power is necessarily a one-to-one reflection of their execution of a "popular will" in a largely agrarian state that had rejected them during the elections.

Ardennes posted:

Eh, no, it was the result of the inability of Russia or the Soviet Union to compete on the same level as other economies, moreover, the Great Depression actually did tremendously affect the Soviet Union. It is a complete myth that it didn't. Also, Comecon was also more complicated than just "limiting the Western influence."

I've reduced the functioning of the COMECON down a bit (it was more of an attempt to coerce Eastern Bloc states into replicating a limited Law of Comparative Advantage scenario), but ultimately its goal was to foster internal trade to reduce reliance on foreign goods imports (which always came at the cost of very limited supplies of Western currency), and in some cases to supply the USSR with the kinds of advanced industrial and commercial goods that it had struggled to make on its own.

The Great Depression may have severely affected export grain prices, but to argue that it had the same kind of negative impact on the USSR as it did on the US or Weimar Germany would be inaccurate, I think.

In any case, I didn't deny that the USSR failed to compete with other economies, merely that the idea that the USSR failed because of external "economic sabotage" is not really historically accurate. Although that kind of analysis can potentially apply to pre-1961 East Germany and Cuba.

Ardennes posted:

Wasn't the "collaboration" a couple of isolation incidences involving strikes? Moreover, the SDP refused to work with the KPD in either case, but the Center Party was happy to work directly with the NSDAP.

The SPD was dumb as poo poo (or liberal as poo poo, take your pick), but so was the KPD. Besides the strikes, members of the KPD contributed to the Nazi Beobachter newspaper, spread anti-SPD Nazi propaganda and fought the Eiserne Front/Reichsbanner Schwarz-Rot-Gold in the streets. Ironically, the Rotfrontkämpferbund (KPD's militias) and the Eiserne Front collaborated in the streets against the Nazis more often than their respective leaders did in Parliament.

Ardennes posted:

No Russians are "not destinated to dictatorship" but "I am more Russian than thou thus I am right" is similarly tiresome.

I only whipped out this "I was born in Leningrad" poo poo as a response to the "I'm part Russian, stop this faux-outrage" accusation. Normally, I discuss the merits of history without ever bringing it up - because most of my experiences in the USSR are unrelated to general Soviet history or modern social conditions and standpoint theory doesn't apply here.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah plans sure are bad.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

first, it's not just me saying it's anti-labor, it's the campaign workers guild too:

second, I've mentioned this before, but just because unpaid internships have been a thing for a long long time, doesn't mean they're good or a proper thing to do

third, i notice you keep trying to conflate people actually working for warren but not being paid with campaign volunteers.

this is not a volunteer. it's an unpaid internship by another name

fourth, if you have something to say about the way bernie's campaign workers are being treated, please post it. don't beat around the bush and claim people wouldn't like another candidate based of vague claims of impropriety

yes vh4ever, it's a thread for debating. not just which candidate is best, but what policies are good and bad. if you expect me to be happy about warren using unpaid interns, i'm sorry to disappoint you.

i've heard this since 2015. it wasn't true then, it isn't true now.

I'm not happy about it either, but some of the performative wokeness in this thread about it, when it was the general way things operated since forever, is a bit much. Can't we simply acknowledge that if you're "campaign staff" you should probably be paid something and move on? Bernie having a unionized campaign staff is something objectively good and worth highlighting, but Warren not having one isn't any worse that the other 18 candidates who don't either so I'm not sure why she's being singled out here (or in the article), that's all. I guess if we used that info to start an effort on social media and by phone calls and letters to push her to transform her staff as Bernie did it would make a positive difference but it seems like people ITT think passionately making GBS threads on her for it helps those people or something. It doesn't.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Her's final plan... Fisher!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The CPB is completely toothless and people should stop bringing it up as a reason why Warren is any good. She was literally pushed out of it. The spinelessness of it all.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm maybe because literally all the other candidates are non starters (Klobuchar) or liberals who’s default status is terrible.

Warren is trying to show her “progressive” bonafides but the Reaganism is deeply embedded in her, and it’s embarrassing .

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

I'm not happy about it either, but some of the performative wokeness in this thread about it, when it was the general way things operated since forever, is a bit much. Can't we simply acknowledge that if you're "campaign staff" you should probably be paid something and move on? Bernie having a unionized campaign staff is something objectively good and worth highlighting, but Warren not having one isn't any worse that the other 18 candidates who don't either so I'm not sure why she's being singled out here (or in the article), that's all. I guess if we used that info to start an effort on social media and by phone calls and letters to push her to transform her staff as Bernie did it would make a positive difference but it seems like people ITT think passionately making GBS threads on her for it helps those people or something. It doesn't.

Well, she's being singled out in the article because it's something that only she and Biden are doing. Again, at minimum everyone else who does this gives academic credit, and even that isn't good enough. Warren and Biden are the only ones offering unpaid internship options that don't even do that much.

It's not really performative wokeness so much as it's being consistent. If you truly believe that all core campaign staff should be paid, you should be calling her out on this too.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

VH4Ever posted:

The other 18 candidates aren’t supposedly pro-labor vh4ever. This kind of stuff is supposed to be what differentiates her from those 18 lovely candidates. In fact she intentionally gave that impression with policies like giving workers representation on company boards. That she’s not walking the walk when it comes to her campaign should be called out, and she should be pressured to do better.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

The other 18 candidates aren’t supposedly pro-labor vh4ever. This kind of stuff is supposed to be what differentiates her from those 18 lovely candidates. In fact she intentionally gave that impression with policies like giving workers representation on company boards. That she’s not walking the walk when it comes to her campaign should be called out, and she should be pressured to do better.

So OK, THIS I agree with. Yes. Let's do that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1149784848703340544

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ogmius815 posted:

So it seems like having a paid and unpaid program is probably the right solution then. Good thing that’s what Warren does!
Yeah have a bucket specifically for people born into wealth who can afford to work for free in order to "network" and then have another bucket for ordinary slobs who have to work to earn their living. Totally normal what could go wrong.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

:stonk:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That article is atrocious and lol that his top concerns are Pete butt might do molly and get wild instead of you know , that he’s an amoral fascist psychopath troop . Liberals priorities are so hosed up

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

:yikes:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/TVHilton/status/1149789534114050048

https://twitter.com/TVHilton/status/1149788492202774528

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There will be access to op-ed pages:thunk:

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The devil tips his hat to thee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
That's kinda gross and really homophobic as gently caress

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EdithUpwards posted:

The devil tips his hat to thee.

Pelosi getting in bed with Fox News and Trump today. Good day for her.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

VH4Ever posted:

the performative wokeness in this thread about it, when it was the general way things operated since forever

the succ creed

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ranter posted:

Gravel's crew just texted me they need 1400 more new donors to qualify.

According to their site, as of right now they have 4 days to get 112 more unique donors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

Getting Gravel into the debates IS productive

Also the Gravel campaign (insomuch as it exists) has already used donor money to make an anti-Biden ad and release it in Iowa, so the money is apparently being directly used for good things other than getting him on stage.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-kamala-harris-come-pelosi-s-defense-after-aoc-criticism-n1029336

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is nothing as clarifying about someone as their hatred for AOC.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

We now know the subject of Pelosi and Trump's closed door negotiations, deporting Ilhan Omar.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

The Warren fellowship program sounds similar to the Obama fellowship program that was done during 2012.

People would apply, and those chosen would be given an extensive course in community organizing. During that time while learning, they also performed tasks that would be the responsibility of a community/field organizer. After the program, many then were chosen to become paid field organizers in key states. Many others went and chose to use the skills they learned in other areas.

The problem is if you made it so every fellowship program had to be paid, you cut off the amount of people that can participate in such a program. I know quite a few people who went through the fellowship program and were grateful for the learning opportunity. Yes you are also performing tasks, but part of learning how to be a community organizer is to actually practice community organizing. It also sounds like the work hour requirements for the Warren campaign aren't that much.

This would be an issue if the Warren campaign didn't offer paid internships as well. But it sounds like they do. But also offer this unpaid fellowship program as well. Also the interns are required to work more hours (30 compared to some other amount for unpaid)

Ogmius815 posted:

Those positions either would not exist at all, or there would be way fewer. Having both paid and unpaid programs allows you to maximize participation while not limiting participation to those who can afford not to be paid for a while.

This is basically a fancy version of the "if there wasn't a minimum wage we could hire more people" argument conservatives make. The argument of "people could be working who weren't" is still the same. Do you think the minimum wage should disappear as long as people making higher wages still exist?

VH4Ever posted:

There you go again, trying to bring clarity to a thread that just sits on its haunches all the time, preparing to strike and annihilate any candidate that doesn't conform 99.99999999% to every single item on their own personal manifesto and declare them cancelled for all time. Go away with your nuance, logic, reasoning and facts. We're having a DISCUSSION in here.

I get that you guys like Warren and feel this instinctive urge to immediately parse her actions through a lens that paints them as good, but there's no excuse for this stuff. Unpaid work is not okay. It is not magically okay just because paid interns also exist.

Willie Tomg posted:

Honestly I'd be 100% cool with a hypothetical Williamson administration that didn't try to gently caress around with the CDC and NIH, even if her equally hypothetical nomination would be a total poo poo show with most of America not having been inured as I was with a hippified upbringing to the Crystals and Woo Aesthetic.

I wouldn't, because I'm pretty sure she'd just end up doing things in the same way as usual. She's made comments on issues like Israel/Palestine that make me think, if actually in power, that she'd just listen to the advisors/etc.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

This is basically a fancy version of the "if there wasn't a minimum wage we could hire more people" argument conservatives make. The argument of "people could be working who weren't" is still the same. Do you think the minimum wage should disappear as long as people making higher wages still exist?
More than that, unpaid internships like this are basically a separate track for recruiting the next generation of networked insider assholes.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

More than that, unpaid internships like this are basically a separate track for recruiting the next generation of networked insider assholes.

I don't like it. I hope she shitcans it as a thing. I hope Biden does too but I know he won't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I really wish I could take back my vote for Harris for Senate in 2016.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

:siren:
https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1149813259349966849?s=09
https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1149822541063569408?s=09
:siren:

This is not a drill

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Ytlaya posted:

No because heads of corporations hoard profit for self-enrichment, which is one reason why minimum wage laws exist.

I highly doubt the Warren campaign has enough money to pay for all the people they would want in their fellowship program.

Again, if you make it all paid, you limit participation.

Also campaigns use the fellowship to also see who who would be the best paid organizers, in part by seeing how much of an effort they put in and their success in that effort. Were you able to build up a neighborhood team? How successful were you in growing that team, plugging people into roles, getting people to make vol recruitment calls? How many one on one meetings with vols did you have? All of these questions are pretty important for a campaign to see to determine who the campaign should then hire to field.

If you make all that paid you are limiting how many people can participate in such a program. That's just a fact.

Let's say you want 3,000 people in your fellowship program, each putting in 30 hours into the program each week. You pay a $15 living wage for those hours.

So that's $450 a week for each person, or roughly $1,800 per fellow per month.

$1,800 x $3,000 = $5,400,000 per month

So you would have to be raising 5.4 mill a month JUST to cover your fellowship program. That doesn't involve all your other expenses.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 13, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

No because heads of corporations hoard profit for self-enrichment, which is one reason why minimum wage laws exist.

I highly doubt the Warren campaign has enough money to pay for all the people they would want in their fellowship program.

Also campaigns use the fellowship to also see who who would be the best paid organizers, in part by seeing how much of an effort they put in and their success in that effort. Were you able to build up a neighborhood team? How successful were you in growing that team, plugging people into roles, getting people to make vol recruitment calls? How many one on one meetings with vols did you have? All of these questions are pretty important for a campaign to see to determine who the campaign should then hire to field.

If you make all that paid you are limiting how many people can participate in such a program. That's just a fact.

So why not call them volunteers? It seems a little deceptive to not call them that. Obviously it's not just Warren that does this, but given that she's supposed to be a different kind of candidate, maybe she should.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah, we either get Bernie to the top quick, or this poo poo's gonna go some place nobody wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

I highly doubt the Warren campaign has enough money to pay for all the people they want in their fellowship program.

Or you find money elsewhere.

Remember this is separate and distinct from the volunteers that campaigns have, this is just a way to have an internship and not pay them while claiming to pay your interns.

Regular volunteers don't have minimum hours commitments, and other employee-like obligations that these "fellows" do.