Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Orange Crush Rush posted:

After realizing every course I've made took like at least four hours of Making, I tried to see if I could blow one out in less then 10 minutes and what I got is Flying Fish of Fury

For 10 minutes worth of making it was still a pretty entertaining Mario course! Nice, short and sweet. I appreciated the higher subsurface platform placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

About 5 hours away, yes.

Did anyone have any feedback for rules updates after the last one?

I think the rules were pretty good! Maybe you could add in a wildcard item? Maybe the 13th item, since you can have an active item on your toolkit that's not pinned? (Iirc.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just mention that augments(parachute, mushroom, etc) and sound effects are allowed

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mario Bros. 3 deserves a Link's Awakening-quality remake

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Getting in before the blitz, I made

A Feeling of Deja Vu
PDB-5P9-YDG

The Eight Coins of Soleluna Forest gave me the basic idea, and the goon level I played the other day about the koopas drilling too deep (I've forgotten the name, but I liked it) contributed to the aesthetic. So, uh... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Reviews:

#24 SMB3: fast, chill winter secrets

It was nice but too short/easy.

#539 Spinies... Fire at Will!

I loved this level. Nice platforming challenge and great aesthetic. Felt like it could have been in SMB3. Maybe a little too short also.

#640 Abe's Cavern

Excellent use of open space. Felt like a big barren cavern.

-----

My contribution:

39M-XW6-DCG
POW camp

Tried to make a nice medium difficulty platforming level using koopa shells and POW blocks.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only ones I've liked have been 7 Short Films about 1-1 (goon made, on the spreadsheet), and 1-1 but it's vertical. I don't even know if that's the proper name, but if anyone has me starred in-game, it's in my liked levels. I wish I could link it to you, but I'm not near my Switch so I can't even get the code.

Anyway, it's well made and an interesting take.

I'm going to go ahead and plug my 1-1 'remix' which I never did originally.

PCP 3H3 3HG

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
All these 1-1 remixes... Why didn't anyone else remix 8-3

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I've got two more levels for people to try.

Up and Down Again
DVK-LXW-KFG

And

The Yoshi Machine
1B2-9S2-RSF

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 13, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Title: Winter Walk
Code: F8X-L1D-D0G
Description: Take a leisurely stroll through a winter wonderland. Can you find all the secrets? This course is a remix of SMB3 2-5 and has the difficulty of a World 2, it's meant for the kiddos to play and explore because my SMB "classic" level has a clear rate of 20%.
Difficulty: Piss-Easy

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Dr Pepper posted:

I've got two more levels for people to try.

Up and Down Again
DVK-LXW-KFG

And

The Yoshi Machine
1B2-952-RSF

First one: Lobster Bad at Mario strikes again!

Second one: Course not found.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Lobster posted:

Second one: Course not found.

Oh crap I tyop'd the code.

It should be 1B2-9S2-RSF

How can I get that fixed in the spreadsheet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Lobster posted:

Title: Winter Walk
Code: F8X-L1D-D0G
Description: Take a leisurely stroll through a winter wonderland. Can you find all the secrets? This course is a remix of SMB3 2-5 and has the difficulty of a World 2, it's meant for the kiddos to play and explore because my SMB "classic" level has a clear rate of 20%.
Difficulty: Piss-Easy

I loved this. It's a great remix, and left a comment saying effectively the same.

fuckingusername
Jun 6, 2008
Hello everyone!

This is my first Mario game. I love it and I really like the spirit of it. But Endless mode is really getting my goat. Easy endless mode is so trivially easy that I might as well not be playing a game. Normal endless mode is a mix of "Normal" levels which I enjoy, and levels that are beatable but painfully unfun, or levels that require some impressive meta-knowledge of how everything interacts that I just don't have. Am I just really poo poo or is there a better way to go about this?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone!

This is my first Mario game. I love it and I really like the spirit of it. But Endless mode is really getting my goat. Easy endless mode is so trivially easy that I might as well not be playing a game. Normal endless mode is a mix of "Normal" levels which I enjoy, and levels that are beatable but painfully unfun, or levels that require some impressive meta-knowledge of how everything interacts that I just don't have. Am I just really poo poo or is there a better way to go about this?

That's the endless experience in a nutshell. Don't hesitate to use those skips!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone!

Use https://randomactsofmario.com/ and play goon levels. On average we're a pretty good bunch of level makers.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone!

Play until you get impressive meta-knowledge of how everything interacts so Normal isnt as inscrutable. You really dont avoid that stuff by playing goon levels. Then the only unplayable levels are the trash but thankfully those are getting aggressively weeded out compared to the last mario maker

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved this. It's a great remix, and left a comment saying effectively the same.

Thank you! I appreciated that. I worry that I upload too many levels to the thread but at least they are OK levels, haha.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lastdancer posted:

I started regretting it even before entering that drat wizard's house!

(This was indeed hard but fun!)

Glad you thought so! It's sitting at a low clear rate (which I expected obviously) but I'm really eager to see the fastest time that it settles on as it's supposed to flow quickly even if you can take your time in certain spots.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

fuckingusername posted:

Hello everyone!

im skipping more normal levels than i was a week ago. Its a bit of a crapshoot between decent levels and just bs. Skip away

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like when you have lives on the line it sucks to replay the level to beat some sort of hidden blocks twister shenanigans that just makes it plainly unfun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
playing some goon levels after work on a friday :cool:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

After realizing every course I've made took like at least four hours of Making, I tried to see if I could blow one out in less then 10 minutes and what I got is Flying Fish of Fury

this def feels like it was made real quick but it was fun! a good romp through a fishy forest. i have to admit i didn't actually pay any attention to the condition so the first time through i just blitzed to the end and uh, whoops!

nrook posted:

Please enjoy my incredibly good level that definitely isn't a dumb joke taken way too far.

Mario's Calculus Quiz - 9LV-4NS-CLG

i haven't done any calculus whatsoever since high school and i still beat your dang nerd level

Internet Kraken posted:

I decided to reupload this course after tweaking the start section. If the spreadsheet could be updated with the new code, that'd be appreciated.

Plunder the Lost Kingdom: RHP-JBY-HPG

Hopefully now people will actually play past it instead of immediately quitting. Maybe I just picked a bad element to introduce the stage with, but the idea of a banzai bill boring into the earth seemed too cool for me to pass up.

i didn't play the original but i loooove the vibe of this level. the descent down into the depths was real cool, and trying to loot the place without pissing off too many ghosts was cool, and trying not to fall too far behind your escape route was cool. my only real quibble isn't even on you, but i wish the game's vertical scroll worked a bit faster for upward movement

Rhythmancer posted:

The Old Sawmill

6WM-85K-BBG

I was tinkering and noticed the SMW bridges could look like stacked logs so I made this. I'm not too proud of the optional foreman's office but I like the rest. Pretty speedrunnable.

the smw desert music was a good fit for the ominous inner workings of an unsafe lumber mill. i'm a big sucker for visual themes and this ticked all those boxes. i do think the optional locked room felt a bit aimless though

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
My first MM level!

The Golden Greens
Treasure everywhere! (If your shell game is up to it, at least.)

MMB-12K-NKG

I love collecting coins and bouncing turtle shells, so I made a level with a lot of that. Lots of secrets and alternate paths through the level too.

I've never done Mario Maker before(never had WiiU), and I made this over the July 4th weekend as a little challenge to my daughter and her cousin. I struggled with just how difficult to make the thing, at first giving it a super tight timer, but in the end I just opted for fun and exploration. A lot of mechanics and such are super amateur, but it was fun learning about stuff the editor is capable of.

Hot drat this game is fun even if my levels aren't.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

DarkLich posted:

This is very good feedback, thank you. I try to put the checkpoints SLIGHTLY out of the way so that they're sub optimal for speed runners. Risk/reward and all that. However in an auto-scroll level, I guess that matters a little less. You're right though, no one should fear death when trying to get to their checkpoint.

Played through your levels, and wrote whatever thoughts I had after the end of each:

Jelly trap jolt
Pretty good use of the underwater darkness, I felt like it almost could’ve used a few more lights but in the end it wasn't necessary. Overall it felt pretty good.

Lakitu Landing
I like the concept here, but the execution made it feel a little slow. I'm not the biggest fan of fighting/dealing with lakitus either, so a bit of personal bias here.

Ruinous ruins
Probably didn’t need the clear condition, though I definitely understand why you have it. The spikes felt a bit ugly, but I’m not sure you had any better options. The tags are auto Mario and music which seem... wrong.

Smv 1-1
A bit unconventional to have a water based level as 1-1! I liked what you did with the multiple paths, power ups seemed reasonable spaced as well.

Got a bit confused with the checkpoint bonus area the first time since I went in with a fireflower. Just killed the spiny and immediately exited.

Smv 1-2
Felt pretty long, and I had to play more cautiously than I’d expect to have to. Solid use of the theme!

Smv 1-3
Did I miss a boot? How are you supposed to get into the 10 coin room? I managed to do so with a very specific jump, but I feel that shouldn’t be necessary, and I assume damage boosting is never the solution.
Not a fan of the arrows/pit on the left in the subworld. Disobeying the first arrow gets you a prize (mushroom). Disobeying the second arrow results in your death. I would prefer adding a wall to the left of the mushroom.

Nitpicking aside, I liked the level.

1-b
Solid airship themed level. Felt a bit busy at times with the saws moles and on/off switches (particularly around the second checkpoint), but that just might be the nsmb theme messing with me.

2-1
Did I miss a cape in the first section? If not, that jump to the 10 coin is a whole lot trickier than I would’ve expected. Almost ran out of time because I was busy exploring.

2-2
The stage was way too long for a slow autoscroller, I couldn’t be bothered to jump for the 30 coin because I didn’t want to risk having to sit through that again. Suffered from standard autoscroller emptiness.

The falling platforms killing you due to being impatient after the second checkpoint were a bit rude. Decoration was done well, it fit with the chill music/atmosphere.

2-3
Still a bit too much bomb excavation towards the end, but overall you did it pretty well. I particularly liked the 10 and 50 coins. Vertical scrolling with icicles is a bit rough because the screen doesn’t scroll fast enough, so despite the fact that they fit your theme, they were more annoying than anything.

2-b
Block use for the citadel was great. I find the wind tornados a bit janky but you made pretty good use of them. The 50 coin was particularly good.

3-1
I’m enjoying your use of coloured pipes. Could’ve done without the underwater section, but it was still fun.

3-2
Could’ve done without most of the boos, I don’t feel they really added too much. I liked the drybones. Good use of the see saw too.

3-3
Felt pretty good, but maybe I’m just conditioned by the smb3 airship music+theme. Had standard slowness and standing around issues, but I liked your claw+crate setup. I missed one of the checkpoints due to the autoscroll. Didn't end up needing it, but that would feel pretty bad otherwise.

3-b
Cool idea! Some of the underwater sections were a bit rough because the lava bubbles weren’t going back into pipes. Underwater boss fight was a bit awkward but a great setup.

Overall, the main issue I have with your levels is that they feel a bit long, I would've expected most of them to end around the second checkpoint. I got close to timing out the full five minute timer on at least three different levels, and I'm pretty sure I'm not moving that slowly. Part of the problem is that they feel more exploration-based, and I often feel punished for attempting to run/climb too quickly. This is personal preference area, so take that as you will. The design and decoration of all of your stages was great!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Here's my first level

Treacherous Snake
R9J-CB2-GVF

you ride two snakes

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

bef posted:

Like when you have lives on the line it sucks to replay the level to beat some sort of hidden blocks twister shenanigans that just makes it plainly unfun

Honestly there are some items that the general public just shouldn't have access to and the Twister is one of them.

fuckingusername
Jun 6, 2008
Thank you everyone. I was not skipping levels because I thought that wasn't Done. Now my - button will finally get some use

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

fuckingusername posted:

Thank you everyone. I was not skipping levels because I thought that wasn't Done. Now my - button will finally get some use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Maxxim posted:

Played through your levels, and wrote whatever thoughts I had after the end of each:

Thanks for the detailed feedback, both now and back in the SMM1 days. I had a few concerns about pacing and level length, so it's nice to see those confirmed by other players. This is useful for letting me know what I should strengthen and avoid.

DorianGravy posted:

At the risk of oversaturation, I wanted to re-advertise one of my levels: Crumbling Sky Cathedral (NQ3-CCM-3QG).

Been playing some other goons levels in my downtime, including this one. Big fan of the art style here. It's not often I want to go back and play a level to explore more, but you accomplished it here.

I'm enjoying the goon levels overall, and will try to check out more. Look out for comments from Dustin!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Elpato posted:

My first MM level!

The Golden Greens
Treasure everywhere! (If your shell game is up to it, at least.)

MMB-12K-NKG

I love collecting coins and bouncing turtle shells, so I made a level with a lot of that. Lots of secrets and alternate paths through the level too.

I've never done Mario Maker before(never had WiiU), and I made this over the July 4th weekend as a little challenge to my daughter and her cousin. I struggled with just how difficult to make the thing, at first giving it a super tight timer, but in the end I just opted for fun and exploration. A lot of mechanics and such are super amateur, but it was fun learning about stuff the editor is capable of.

Hot drat this game is fun even if my levels aren't.

i definitely found myself wanting more time by the end but that was mostly so i could keep exploring to find all the different coin caches! there was a fun mix of obvious coins and coins that require a bit more effort. some of the tile placement felt like it was designed with only small mario in mind though which made for a couple of awkward hops. but i liked it and i would play another

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

nrook posted:

All these 1-1 remixes... Why didn't anyone else remix 8-3

I'm working on a course inspired by that one. It's a remix, just not of 8-3.

gently caress you, it's Nintendo July!

I'm aware that there are outstanding Jam courses and I will get to them after announcing the Blitz.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm trying to make a Ghost House and I'm having inspiration issues. Ghost Houses are weird in that they operate differently than normal mario levels.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1149846651890274304

Here are the rules that will stay the same:
You have 24 hours to make a Blitz course from when I first post the rules for the Blitz. This should give a chance for everyone in the world to participate.
When you start upload your course in 30 minutes or less (this is really, really fast BTW), or in an hour or less (this is more like it), or in two hours or less (if you're a real perfectionist like me)

Blitz 2 rules
The theme is: Fire Flower
The other allowed objects are,
Blocks: Slopes, Semisolids, Hard Blocks
Powerups: 1Ups
Enemies: Spiny, Thwomp, Rocky Wrench, Wiggler
Gizmos: Fire Bar, Tracks
Bonus: ? Blocks that contain powerups
Wild: Replace any one of the above items (except Fire Flower) with any other item of the same type.

You cannot use any other items.

You can modify any objects however you like, use any style, theme and all sound effects. This means you can use the Superball Flower instead of the Fire Flower if you want (or both).
You can't use any (nonslope) ground blocks that aren't a part of the start or exit.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Here's my first level

Treacherous Snake
R9J-CB2-GVF

you ride two snakes

Welcome to the thread, feel free to add you level to our list using this form.

Internet Kraken posted:

Plunder the Lost Kingdom: RHP-JBY-HPG

Dr Pepper posted:

It should be 1B2-9S2-RSF

Fixed x5

:ocelot:

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 13, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Overbite posted:

I'm trying to make a Ghost House and I'm having inspiration issues. Ghost Houses are weird in that they operate differently than normal mario levels.

Make a ghost house that's 100% a normal level but decorate it with doors and important looking rooms with "puzzles"

Get into someone's mind that thinks they have to solve things because they're in the spook zone.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Hey, just found this, submitted the two levels I've made so far

Overgrown Skytower
PWT-7NX-9NG
Travel down this infested tower, constructed using ancient See-saw technology

Construction In The Clouds
PG3-1TW-XMG
Avoid Bowser's Koopa Construction Crew as you swing between the cranes! Hurry!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1149846651890274304

Here are the rules that will stay the same:
You have 24 hours to make a Blitz course from when I first post the rules for the Blitz. This should give a chance for everyone in the world to participate.
When you start upload your course in 30 minutes or less (this is really, really fast BTW), or in an hour or less (this is more like it), or in two hours or less (if you're a real perfectionist like me)

Blitz 2 rules
The theme is: Fire Flower
The other allowed objects are,
Blocks: Slopes, Semisolids, Hard Blocks
Powerups: 1Ups
Enemies: Spiny, Thwomp, Rocky Wrench, Wiggler
Gizmos: Fire Bar, Tracks
Bonus: ? Blocks that contain powerups
Wild: Replace any one of the above items (except Fire Flower) with any other item of the same type.

You cannot use any other items.

You can modify any objects however you like, use any style, theme and all sound effects. This means you can use the Superball Flower instead of the Fire Flower if you want (or both).
You can't use any (nonslope) ground blocks that aren't a part of the start or exit.

I like it! I'll start pondering.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I finished a new level! It's a don't touch the ground level, but I tried to make it as interesting as possible. I think it came out rather nicely.

Don't Take this to the Banks

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Make a ghost house that's 100% a normal level but decorate it with doors and important looking rooms with "puzzles"

Get into someone's mind that thinks they have to solve things because they're in the spook zone.

There was a MM1 level called "7 trolly pieces" kind of like this in which there were 7 challenge rooms to get key coins and they were all completely unnecessary, the flagpole was in the main room and hidden behind a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
That was a common troll archetype in SMM1, "affectionately" called "The Level Was The Troll" levels.