Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

E-flat posted:

This has nothing to do with the recent chapters, but it's just really been bugging me that Emma cutting off her entire left pinna has never had any lasting impact given how detailed this manga is. Her hearing should be slightly messed up--her ability to locate the direction of sound is impaired, and she doesn't have the amplification of sound that her pinna offered. It shouldn't be a big deal, but I would have liked to have it acknowledged her hearing isn't as acute as the others.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author just didn't know that doing so screws up your hearing. Most people think it's just the inside parts doing the work when really it's the whole package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
... Now that I think on it, why did Emma cut off her ear? They never ended up using Ray's transmitter device disabler, did they? I don't think Emma used it up when she was trying to forcibly disable Norman's before he left. Did they conclude it was worth the extra seconds they hoped Mama would spend shocked when she realized Emma's ear was in a bucket?

:colbert: C'mon, Posuka, show Emma's gross gnarly ear-hole. Those intersecting clips on that braid better be glued to her skin with the way it never moves. Give us a proudly disfigured protagonist.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

E-flat posted:

... Now that I think on it, why did Emma cut off her ear? They never ended up using Ray's transmitter device disabler, did they? I don't think Emma used it up when she was trying to forcibly disable Norman's before he left. Did they conclude it was worth the extra seconds they hoped Mama would spend shocked when she realized Emma's ear was in a bucket?

:colbert: C'mon, Posuka, show Emma's gross gnarly ear-hole. Those intersecting clips on that braid better be glued to her skin with the way it never moves. Give us a proudly disfigured protagonist.
They used the device to fry the transmitters on the rest of the kids. Ray got his cut out quickly, but Emma had to go to more extreme measures.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I sometimes wonder if Isabella would have still been trying to rescue the fake Ray had Emma not cut her ear off.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Man that first arc sure was good

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 142

There's no way the author would drop the "You absolutely must not refuse him his reward" without showing the consequences, so I'm guessing the reward will be something Emma refuses to pay. She seems to value freedom above all else so maybe the "reward"(which is actually more of a punishment) will be that all the cattle children will continue to be prisoners even in the human world.

I'm curious about the reward from the demons too. Does he gets high quality meat on a regular basis? Or are Emma/Ray(they went meant for the festival or whatever) THE reward that is going to be paid out now and it's some time fuckery?
Or since it seems like the rewards are meant to be punishment, maybe it's that ALL of the highest quality meat goes to him and the King/Queen is stuck with only the 2nd best meat forever.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 12, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really gotta give kudos to the author for being really good at making you feel something for a character within a chapter or two. First was sympathy for Ayshe and her dad, and now hate for Ratri Prime. He was one hell of a fucker this chapter, with all that talk about how he's had enough of sacrificing others while he already signed up his closest friends to be the first cattle people. He's deluded himself into thinking he's saved the world, when he's just a massive hypocrite who's fine if anyone other than him becomes the victim of the system he proposed. I really like how fitting his punishment is. He thinks he'll die and become a martyr while his people can finally wash their hands of the demon world and the people they betrayed, but no, they'll be forever intertwined with the world and never allowed to forget what they did.

RatHat posted:

Chapter 142

There's no way the author would drop the "You absolutely must not refuse him his reward" without showing the consequences, so I'm guessing the reward will be something Emma refuses to pay. She seems to value freedom above all else so maybe the "reward"(which is actually more of a punishment) will be that all the cattle children will continue to be prisoners even in the human world.

I'm curious about the reward from the demons too. Does he gets high quality meat on a regular basis? Or are Emma/Ray(they went meant for the festival or whatever) THE reward that is going to be paid out now and it's some time fuckery?
Or since it seems like the rewards are meant to be punishment, maybe it's that ALL of the highest quality meat goes to him and the King/Queen is stuck with only the 2nd best meat forever.

My guess is that while you can't refuse the "reward", you can negotiate what the "reward" is, or offer something you brought with you. Maybe Emma words the wish in a way that the "reward" would rely on Musica's ability?

All the high quality meat going to this god would explain why the demons are having issues with preserving their intellect, and why the demon king who made the promise seemed shocked by the "reward". The god knew that this would grind the demons down over time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Brightman posted:

I mean no, but I think I can maybe blame him for probably offering up his comrades or their families as breeding material for the farms, which seems likely as those three on the cover for the chapter near the front look like Emma, Ray, and Norman. Could be coincidence but those are probably their ancestors. Even that you could possibly be like "but the greater good", but it's a dick move given what he was proposing to them earlier.
You would be correct.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RatHat posted:

I guess the biggest gap in this plan is that nothing is stopping a demon from entering and reversing Emma's wish if they get desperate enough. Maybe refusing the price will play into that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 12, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing the reward is related to Emma's desire for everyone to make it. That's been her one driving force through the entire manga. Having to give up...something, someone, herself, whatever that relates directly to that desire, would probably be the driving force behind whatever happens next. either refusal or negotiation.

amigolupus posted:

My guess is that while you can't refuse the "reward", you can negotiate what the "reward" is, or offer something you brought with you.

Yeah I like the idea that while you can't refuse, you can negotiate. ANd it's just no one's ever thought to try because I mean you're talking with a fickle all powerful god, who would EVER be crazy enough to do that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm legit wondering if the bargain Emma struck is some 5th dimensional chess thing that will work out alright or if it's going to be absolutely tragic.

Like, everyone but Emma being able to go or something.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Brought To You By posted:

You would be correct.

Yeah, sorta wish I hadn't been :(

It might be a lost in translation thing but she said "cattle children", that seems like it would exclude the moms and other adults in the demon realm, so they could just start the program up again. Also that might just apply to those who are currently in captivity which would suck unless she's banking on Musica but that still seems like a riskier path.

Watch the reward be Phil.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It'll be more personal. My expectation is that it will propose one person be eaten, then regenerated, then eaten again forever. A personal martyr hell rather than a hundred thousand victims.

Then it'll demand Ray and Emma choose who to sacrifice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You just know that guy was waiting for his friends to buy into his lovely bargain so he could go "well great because YOU are the sacrifice!" and have his consience clean.

It's always the kind cleric looking guys in fantasy you have to watch out for screwing over everyone

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drat, that demon God really knows how to dish out ironic punishments.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So the official translation cleared it up a bit and it was the best meat from the farms each year and also specifically says children from the farms

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Emma must have a plan for the demons as well, given that she doesn’t want to kill them and having them regress to beasts is just as bad if not worse. She is either baiting something out or is relying completely on Musica

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Sindai posted:

I guess the biggest gap in this plan is that nothing is stopping a demon from entering and reversing Emma's wish if they get desperate enough. Maybe refusing the price will play into that.

With how hard it is to figure out the riddles and make it past the seven walls it'd probably be so long until the next person figures it out that there won't be any demons left who aren't content with their way of life.

There's no way the demon god's reward won't be completely antithetical to Emma's core beliefs, maybe even make her choose one of her own comrades to stay behind and be the new gatekeeper from the demon side.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TheHan posted:

With how hard it is to figure out the riddles and make it past the seven walls it'd probably be so long until the next person figures it out that there won't be any demons left who aren't content with their way of life.

There's no way the demon god's reward won't be completely antithetical to Emma's core beliefs, maybe even make her choose one of her own comrades to stay behind and be the new gatekeeper from the demon side.

Or it could be something that Emma is cool with, but everyone else finds horrifying. Like turning Emma into a demon, maybe even making her a cursed blood like Musica.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Or it could be something that Emma is cool with, but everyone else finds horrifying. Like turning Emma into a demon, maybe even making her a cursed blood like Musica.

OOH that’s also very likely too, I wonder if we’ll learn the consequences right away or if we’ll have to wait until Emma stops Norman.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have a new theory about Mujika and her connection to the Seven Walls. What if Mujika had passed the trials and requested The One to change demons so that they did not have to eat humans anymore? And his price is that she had to use her blood and spread it out. When she goes and does that, the Royal family becomes worried about this sudden change and then eats all the converted demons. The problem though is that the demon public were aware of the converted ones and became angry that they lost their chance to not be dependent on human meat. The Royal family then placed all the blame on the Geelan clan and bury all knowledge of The One to prevent this from happening again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think one of the most hosed-up things in this chapter that the author thankfully doesn't go into detail are the condition of the "farms". In this time frame, the humans were using swords and bows so we can assume that the technology level is medieval era. So without the demons' factories producing babies for the farms, it means the captive adults were forced to constantly breed, all while knowing their kids will either be turned into food for the demons or become future breeding stock.

Sindai posted:

One of the rules is that promises made with the god can't be overwritten, so Emma's wish should be safe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The premise could easily have been used in some creepy as gently caress hentai, yes

Its best to just completely sidestep the whole reproduction question.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I would assume these would be a similar sort of fake story like "when you reach the age of X we send you off to go learn in the Great City university but the trade off is that you can't contact your old village anymore" and since the technology level is so low it's not like anyone would realize what is really going on.

Thinking about it, it would probably resemble Claymore and (huge spoiler) how the land looked like a generic fantasy setting but was an island designed to be an experimental farm where they allowed the population to think they had a society but in reality were just fodder for their demon weapons development project.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 13, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one.

https://readms.net/r/neverland/143/6055/1

Sung-Joo has been underestimated.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sung-Joo is about to deliver an rear end kicking.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Looks like Sun-Joo's getting his wish, huh? Remember that Sun-Joo's motive in helping Emma and her family was because he wanted to experience hunting humans again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

amigolupus posted:

Looks like Sun-Joo's getting his wish, huh? Remember that Sun-Joo's motive in helping Emma and her family was because he wanted to experience hunting humans again.

Norman really got his intel wrong on this mission. He was totally prepared to murder the pacifist all-loving demon Jesus girl, but he didn't realize she's Best Friends Forever with a cold hearted killing machine who gets off on slaughtering humans for food and fun. Oh, and the only thing holding that cold hearted killing machine back? The fact that in order to kill humans the humans need to attack first because he's religiously bound to give them a sporting chance. It's a real "hunter becoming the hunted" situation.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The funny thing is he got his intel from Emma and family, who all but told him Musica and Sung Joo were made out of cookies. Those chunky bois are no joke, though. Adam was strong enough to just go toe to toe with Lewis by himself.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

amigolupus posted:

He wants to hunt free-range, natural born humans.
BUT Im guessing as soon as the old promise is broken and the 'must not hunt each other' clause ends Sun Joo will be delighted.

TheHan posted:

The funny thing is he got his intel from Emma and family, who all but told him Musica and Sung Joo were made out of cookies. Those chunky bois are no joke, though. Adam was strong enough to just go toe to toe with Lewis by himself.

I have a feeling that sun-joo, being immortal by Demon standards, is still at his absolute prime from however long ago. Lewis might not have been the monster he was back when.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh its gonna be some good huntin. So wonder what Normans back up plan is.. You know this bastard thinks like five steps ahead.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Oh its gonna be some good huntin. So wonder what Normans back up plan is.. You know this bastard thinks like five steps ahead.

Norman's plans all seem like they are going up poo poo creek with Emma very close to succeeding in forming a new pact, the hunter girl being totally resentful and doing the long con to get revenge, and his ambushers becoming the ambushed. Unless he's actually thinking five steps ahead here he is going to be in for a few surprises.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm annoyed at the cutaway as Emma was receiving the price of her promise. Never a big fan of when stories hide critical information from the audience even when viewpoint characters can see it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have a feeling that sun-joo, being immortal by Demon standards, is still at his absolute prime from however long ago. Lewis might not have been the monster he was back when.
They make it a point that Lewis' strength, regeneration, and reflexes had diminished over the 800 years. He's still a monster to a normal human, even to a superhuman like Adam. But if Sun-joo hasn't had his strength wane at all over the centuries I really hope Norman put in more than one redundancy or gave someone a suicide bomb because it's never good when your opponent gives you the ole "Nothing Personal"

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm annoyed at the cutaway as Emma was receiving the price of her promise. Never a big fan of when stories hide critical information from the audience even when viewpoint characters can see it.

Same. That made me groan.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The price is the thing you cherish most.

Emma wants to save everyone.

The price is Phil.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Same. That made me groan.

Yeah, I saw it coming but it still irritated me.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

The price is the thing you cherish most.

Emma wants to save everyone.

The price is Phil.

You joke but I think this is probably along the lines of what the price will end up being. I'm thinking the price is going to be "You have to choose someone to sacrifice to stay with the demons" with the added stipulation of "It cannot be yourself".

Because so far yeah, she's either said "EVERYONE LIVES!" or "let me be the sacrifice" for stuff.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They are really dancing around this promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Musica continues to be demon Jesus, hopefully things work out for her better than human Jesus.

Radish posted:

They are really dancing around this promise.

No matter what the reveal ends up being I'm still going to hate that they dragged it out for so long.