Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't have a response to that lmfao

Me neither. It was a dumb series of terrible posts for a conversation that was funnier in my head than in text.

So instead I'll make a good post. What are some of people's favorite MCH gun glams? I've got flintlocks and six shooters galore but what are some that really stand out? Thought I remember one that looks like a sawed off double barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Givin posted:

Me neither. It was a dumb series of terrible posts for a conversation that was funnier in my head than in text.

So instead I'll make a good post. What are some of people's favorite MCH gun glams? I've got flintlocks and six shooters galore but what are some that really stand out? Thought I remember one that looks like a sawed off double barrel.

Always Makai Hand Mortor

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Always Makai Hand Mortor

*While Supplies Last

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

someone might yell at you if you use caster/range LB on a trash pack. they're wrong. ignore them.

Givin posted:

What are some of people's favorite MCH gun glams?

don't have any images of my character with it handy but revolver of the wanderer

ferdinand is also good if you like double-barreled shotguns

both of these had custom reload animations, but :rip:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

general lb etiquette:

* tank only lbs on specific mechanics. i think in normal difficulty stuff it's still only used on alexander's high damage phase transition
* healer only lb3s in major emergencies to avoid a wipe
* it's AOK to ranged/caster lb on large trash pulls, especially difficult ones. while rare you should also lb to help finish multi-target bosses, like in the last Stormblood dungeon
* otherwise, melee DPS should lb the boss

Also: the sooner you use it, the sooner you can start building it back up again. Holding onto an LB is a huge waste, and there is nothing in dungeons that you need to hold onto it for. In most dungeons you can expect to get at least two full bars over the course of the run.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

What's the reasoning behind ranged lb?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shy posted:

Ranged lb is aoe, Melee lb is single target. You save more time in a dungeon by wiping out a big AOE pack than by killing a boss slightly faster.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shy posted:

1800 potency x more than one target is a better use of resources than 3000 potency x one target.

Also those trash packs are killing the tank way faster than any dungeon boss can so blowing them up quickly takes pressure off the healer and tank on top of moving things along.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I mean ranged physical compared to caster considering it is said above it's worse on single target as well? Doesn't it just make melee and caster always better?

Shy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 12, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Physical ranged dps has a longer reach which can be useful in some situations, but mostly you dont always have a caster in a dungeon roulette

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also if you're doing MSQ roulette always pull the 2nd boss of Praetorium with a ranged/caster lb, the bar resets there anyway so no reason not to take the free damage

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn't the Ranged line AoE LB do more damage than the Caster Circle AoE LB?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The exact opposite actually.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I think the idea is technically you can cover more actual area with a phys ranged lb, but in practice it's just a kinda crappier caster lb.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
The other day I wiped my Titania EX group using an emergency RDM LB3 on adds because it was so flashy they couldn't see anything (we weren't going to beat the timer anyway).

Honestly, if that's not a reason to use it more, I don't know what would be.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The new SAM level 80 is a cool looking but damage wise underwhelming move at 80 that requires you to meditate first.

Anybody else playing Sam and am I just overlooking its usefulness, because I got a move at 76 that let's me do 2 shockwaves twice, and that's way more useful and cool

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

TulliusCicero posted:

The new SAM level 80 is a cool looking but damage wise underwhelming move at 80 that requires you to meditate first.

Anybody else playing Sam and am I just overlooking its usefulness, because I got a move at 76 that let's me do 2 shockwaves twice, and that's way more useful and cool

It's just one of those "use this after a boss invulnerability phase" things. That's the kind of thing they add to jobs that they think already have good rotations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I truly wonder how much of the 5.x story will (spoilers I guess?) take place back in Eorzea. The First is a far more interesting place.

Glad I'm not the only one who has come to prefer the First to Eorzea. I especially love the very different relationships between the "humanoid" species and the "beast tribes"--specifically, there's basically no hostility there at all. Groups like the Ondo are treated as maybe a bit foreign but ultimately, y'know, just those fish people we trade with sometimes, they're cool and they think we're weird because we don't lay eggs. The Mord just have a totally positive relationship with everyone too. It's a refreshing change from constantly fighting them until they summon primals.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Harrow posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has come to prefer the First to Eorzea. I especially love the very different relationships between the "humanoid" species and the "beast tribes"--specifically, there's basically no hostility there at all. Groups like the Ondo are treated as maybe a bit foreign but ultimately, y'know, just those fish people we trade with sometimes, they're cool and they think we're weird because we don't lay eggs. The Mord just have a totally positive relationship with everyone too. It's a refreshing change from constantly fighting them until they summon primals.

I think that's the most interesting, well written part. The sheer tenacity and need to survive in their hell-world actually made them more harmonious in the end.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Uriangier is an old and mighty sorcerer and you will do your best to seek his guidance.

The old and mighty sorcerer in his mid20s.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TulliusCicero posted:

It's situational, yes. You can squeeze out an extra stack or two with practice and encounter knowledge, but Senei and double Iaijutsu have broader utility.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

It's meant to give them a tool to help with dungeon packs, since they don't have nearly the same durability in larger pulls as some of the other tanks. It's why it's Parry chance instead of anything else: it's unreliable against bosses if you're looking to soak hits, but great against multiple autoattacks coming in constantly.
And unlike Sheltron GNB's resources are used for attacks, not defense.

I do miss Bulwark though. PLD feels weird without having it (and others mentioned) since I was used to my defensive CD rotation and that's not possible anymore.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

He also said to a girl that has to be at least 13-14 ( old enough to roll their eyes)? Idk, height is wierd in FF

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 12, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's elderly in JRPG years.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Harrow posted:

Just another thing we can blame the Ul'Dahn Syndicate for. :guillotine:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Oh my goodness the Good King Moogle Mog duty was adorable. :3:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I truly wonder how much of the 5.x story will (spoilers I guess?) take place back in Eorzea. The First is a far more interesting place.

My overly elaborate prediction is the Eulmore dungeon was pushed back but is still gonna be released with a slightly different premise. it's gonna be an underground torture/experimentation dungeon the Eulmorans are gonna unearth while developing the slums or something and is where the twin jesters, surviving the attack on Eulmore, took Ran'jit's body to be reconstituted in some form. Ran'jit and the jesters combining into Definitely Not Meltigemini will be 2/3 of the bosses.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

My first to jobs to 80 are sam and monk and both have pretty eh capstone powers. For sam it's just an extra thing you can use if there's forced downtime mid fight, but for monk I'm just not sure what the use case for their level 80 skill is other than "I hosed up and there's only two seconds left on GL".

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

lol I never noticed BLMs do a jojo pose when casting manafont

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Axel Serenity posted:

The other day I wiped my Titania EX group using an emergency RDM LB3 on adds because it was so flashy they couldn't see anything (we weren't going to beat the timer anyway).

Honestly, if that's not a reason to use it more, I don't know what would be.

Always use LB3 there. I don't think there's a better use of the LB in that instance, it deals like 120% to adds combined.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Re: random thoughts on the last few pages.

I feel like tempering was a deliberate creation as a means to, once the calamity was stopped, to keep the Ascians creation power under control.

I also never got the vibe that the people who sacrificed themselves to make Moon Dad, or to detox the planet did it with any thought of ever coming back. I felt like it wasn’t until long after that the remaining summoners looked around and said, I’d sure love to see my friends again’ and made the plan to eat all the new races.

I don’t think we’re ever going to get to the point of Corrrruption because I think tempering is more complicated. It’s both a compulsion and a mandate back to the primal that makes them fulfill the mandate of their creation.

My own person best future head canon is that you find out that Mom and Dad never fought and that either Zodiarc didn’t resist or helped in his own shattering to keep from violating his purpose in preserving life. He would be bound to complete the ritual to bring everyone back, since while they’re bound to him he’s also bound to his summoners wills.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Givin posted:

Ferdinand is the sawed off shotgun, and it's one of the best glams available. Other great guns: Armageddon, Ala Mhigan Musketoon (all the Ala Mhigan weapons are great, imo), Revolver of the Wanderer.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cabbit posted:

Ferdinand is the sawed off shotgun, and it's one of the best glams available. Other great guns: Armageddon, Ala Mhigan Musketoon (all the Ala Mhigan weapons are great, imo), Revolver of the Wanderer.

I'm partial to the Pre-imperial Garlean Revolver (of which Ghost Barque, Adamantite and Deepgold share models with.) It's just nice and elegant in it's simplicity.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TopHatGenius posted:

Oh my goodness the Good King Moogle Mog duty was adorable. :3:

The song is just the best.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

(Early SB spoilers, I guess) Ahahaha, the look on your face when when Lyse suggests that Tataru will be cool with taking the gil for the fare to Doma out of the Scion's coffers.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Givin posted:

Molybdenum Rimfire. Shares a model with Nabaath & Baldur Rimfire. Engraved silver with smooth black. Craftable so it's easy to get.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I have an old level 15 character that I can jump into the game with on Excalibur, and it looks like Excalibur is the place to be for Goons in NA. But, I don't really want my old character's name + race.

Will character creation ever be re-enabled on Excalibur? Or should I just stick with my old character and pick up a name + race change at a later date? Or is there a more popular server for NA goons that I'm overlooking?

edit: Doh, apparently the Free Trial is only for new accounts. I'm going to have to think this over. It almost seems easier to buy the Starter edition for $20 bucks and take the free month, but then I'll never been able to get into Excalibur. Is Excalibur even worth it? Maybe a preferred server would be better, I play mostly solo anyways...

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 13, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
About to hit level 50, so I finally purchased Shadowbringers. Something tells me I have a looong ways to go before I reach its content though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BisterdDave posted:

About to hit level 50, so I finally purchased Shadowbringers. Something tells me I have a looong ways to go before I reach its content though.

You have a long journey ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i started a new character on brunhyldr. that xp bonus is a bit nuts, i got to level 20 after a few hours of play. pretty fun so far, just playing a lancer at the moment. It doesn't seem like the xp bonus from the hall of the novice quest line works with the server bonus. at least it doesn't for quests.

anyway, gonna try to get to 30 and try out dragoon before leveling something else i guess. any tips anyone can throw me? i'm finding it odd that so much of the UI/systems are still locked off for me like duty finder and others.