Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Tubing and drinking is also fine in SC.

Technically most (maybe all, I dunno) of our public ocean beaches are dry, but it's really just that you can't be obvious with it. It's a big surprise for Ohioans who are used to Gulf coast beaches, when they get busted for open container for walking in the surf with their Bud Light can in Dirty Myrtle.

There's a lake nearby where all the idiots go every weekend where the cops walk up and down the beach dumping out everybody's drinks.

A while ago, there was a ricer forum meet that tried driving through it, they stopped 150 cars on the side of the highway and handed out all kinds of tint and exhaust tickets as a "never come back" kind of thing.

They also give $150 tickets for swearing.

It's not even a nice place. There are boarded up buildings right on the beachfront and everything's old and ratty but not the cool kind of old and ratty, just the "built in the 80s by an alcoholic and already in shambles kind of ratty and i just don't loving get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Double post why not.

LloydDobler posted:

quote:

I'll make you a nice deal on a P2 Volvo WAGON with a stick. 

Fixed for me.

I could probably be tempted. :suicide:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

The Constitutionalist in me wants to gently caress with this so hard.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

The Constitutionalist in me wants to gently caress with this so hard.

Fuckin charter tho, eh?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Fuckin charter tho, eh?

Oh cripes I keep forgetting he's Canadian :doh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Oh cripes I keep forgetting he's Canadian :doh:

Sorry.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
JFC ticketed for swearing???? I better watch my loving mouth and don't call cops cunts when I'm back next month.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
:perfect:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bolind posted:

:same:

Also, fridge corn, I'll have you know that the new and better CITF has just been taken off my ignore list.

Uhh... speaking of, how DO you take someone off your ignore list? I'm dumb.

meatpimp posted:

Sorry, let's try to keep the comedy down for a week or so and give AA's ribs time to heal.

Having broken ribs isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also, my wife caught a pic of the drunk's car that hit me, 2017 Nissan shitbox

Apparently, she was there an hour before we were and was crying because her car was worse than she thought :rolleyes:

Holy poo poo, that thing is loving demolished. Given how the toaster looked, I wasn't expecting anything nearly that bad. Any idea how fast she was going?

Powershift posted:

The cops here police the popular drop-off and pick-up points for river tubing, and confiscate liquor. They also hand out tickets for drinking in public to people floating down the river drinking.

I'm pretty sure you get a ticket here if you DON'T have at least 1 beer and/or weed in your hand when you're floating down a river here.

Hell, I took a short hike up to an overlook the other day, and if I didn't have tolerance to :420:, I probably would have gotten a contact high. Nice view up there:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Holy poo poo, that thing is loving demolished. Given how the toaster looked, I wasn't expecting anything nearly that bad. Any idea how fast she was going?

The guy that was behind me and witnessed the whole thing (thank god) estimated that she was going about 60mph. I was doing 30 tops.

I did not see her coming until she was maybe ten feet away from me, all I had time to do was think "oh gently caress" and then it was lights out. I guess it's good in a way that i didn't have time to brace for impact and have my arms/wrists broken or something, but then again if I had that much time I might have been able to avoid it? Idk. It keeps running through my head and it will probably stay with me for awhile unfortunately.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 12, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That Sentra preformed well if that was a 60mph hit. Everything looks like it deformed just the way it should. Cabin looks intact. Modern cars are great.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I try to look down perpendicular streets as I'm approaching them, but if someone is going way too fast or there's an obstruction, there's just nothing you can do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's a Versa but yeah it's amazing. The guy at the tow yard said he is constantly amazed by the amount of people walking in to see their destroyed cars so the manufacturers must be doing something right.

MomJeans420 posted:

I try to look down perpendicular streets as I'm approaching them, but if someone is going way too fast or there's an obstruction, there's just nothing you can do.

It was a Y shaped funny intersection that's half the problem. The fire rescue guys told my wife that intersection is a problem area.

[e] I was heading north on Pasadena into 66th st, and she was flying southbound on 66th.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 12, 2019

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

STR posted:

Uhh... speaking of, how DO you take someone off your ignore list? I'm dumb.

It's jank as gently caress (surprise) so don't feel bad. https://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=viewlist&userlist=ignore

If the link doesn't work go to the control panel and then you should have another bar of links and one is 'Edit Ignore List'

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

It's a Versa but yeah it's amazing. The guy at the tow yard said he is constantly amazed by the amount of people walking in to see their destroyed cars so the manufacturers must be doing something right.

Huh, I guess that Subaru commercial where the guy visits the wreckers to get his shift knob while talking about how the car saved his life wasn't far off base

Glad that you're mostly ok. xA/B/D's aren't exactly peppy head turners, but it's good to know that the annoyingly obvious airbags and thick pillars aren't just for show

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It was a Y shaped funny intersection that's half the problem. The fire rescue guys told my wife that intersection is a problem area.

[e] I was heading north on Pasadena into 66th st, and she was flying southbound on 66th.

Wow, those houses on the north corner of Pasadena must block your entire view of the oncoming lane, I can see why that's a problem area. Also probably blocks the view of the drunk driver, for what that's worth. I'd say being in a modern car probably saved your life, or at least you from much greater injuries. I've never broken a rib, but from what I've heard it really sucks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:golfclap:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

i just don't loving get it.

Also if we're talking about Sylvan, it's basically just a place for people who can't afford to go west to pretend they're on the Okanagan. It's funny how much the place feels like dollar store Kelowna when you're there and look at it in that context.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Hey it's my birthday again. AI is always invited to come spin donuts on my lawn.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893713

If anybody can find and link video of Big Al Unser's 1987 Indy qualifying run, it would make my day.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Eye exam: $60.
Optometrist confirming what I already knew (my eyes have gotten slightly worse - "a quarter tick" - but I don't need bifocals...yet): well I knew they were worse, just wasn't sure how much worse.
Finding out she's actually friends with my opthamologist, and discovering it's a very good thing I brought a copy of my results from my diabetic eye exam from said opthamologist: priceless (no dilation or eyeball touching or anything needed, the only annoyance was the eye puffer)

Just threw $78 at Zenni (including "priority" shipping, which brings it down to only 2-3 weeks); one pair of sunglasses, one pair of super basic glasses for driving at night. I wear sunglasses anytime I'm outside if the sun is out, but otherwise only wear glasses when I'm driving. Opted NOT to get polarized lenses this time; they make it impossible to see the car stereo, I have to take them off to use my DSLR, a lot of LCDs (such as menu boards, and my phone if I turn it sideways) are totally blank with them on, and overall, I'm just kinda tired of them. I also couldn't get a kickin rad mirror finish if I got polarized.

Considering I'm rocking 5 year old glasses, I'm kinda surprised they haven't gotten that much worse.

I'll order some "nice" glasses when I have a bit more cash (Warby Parker or similar); frankly, I did this more because my current glasses are really beat up, and I don't want to spend the money on new ones with an old rX.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 12, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Eye exam: $60.
Optometrist confirming what I already knew (my eyes have gotten slightly worse - "a quarter tick" - but I don't need bifocals...yet): well I knew they were worse, just wasn't sure how much worse.
Finding out she's actually friends with my opthamologist, and discovering it's a very good thing I brought a copy of my results from my diabetic eye exam from said opthamologist: priceless (no dilation or eyeball touching or anything needed, the only annoyance was the eye puffer)

Just threw $78 at Zenni (including "priority" shipping, which brings it down to only 2-3 weeks); one pair of sunglasses, one pair of super basic glasses for driving at night. I wear sunglasses anytime I'm outside if the sun is out, but otherwise only wear glasses when I'm driving. Opted NOT to get polarized lenses this time; they make it impossible to see the car stereo, I have to take them off to use my DSLR, a lot of LCDs (such as menu boards, and my phone if I turn it sideways) are totally blank with them on, and overall, I'm just kinda tired of them. I also couldn't get a kickin rad mirror finish if I got polarized.

Considering I'm rocking 5 year old glasses, I'm kinda surprised they haven't gotten that much worse.

I'll order some "nice" glasses when I have a bit more cash (Warby Parker or similar); frankly, I did this more because my current glasses are really beat up, and I don't want to spend the money on new ones with an old rX.

I stopped wearing polarized as well, after I got my first pair of nice sunglasses, Oakley M-frames. I kept breaking grocery store frames, so with counsel from my Army brother I decided to get something tough as well as ballistic rated, since I (used to) go to the gun range often. They don't come in polarized flavor due to issues with optical clarity or something. I've had them for two years bow, and they really are tough as poo poo. I slammed them in the car door and they didn't even scratch :stare:

Doctors knowing each other sounds like a sweet setup. I treated myself to my first eye exam in a decade for my 30th birthday last year, one eye was .25 out of whack. They offered to write a scrip but said it probably wasn't worth it. I really liked the place and planned to go back when I hit 35.

Then the fuckers hit me up for another $50 after I'd already paid cash out of my HSA, talking about "insurance didn't cover blah blah" but they couldn't tell me who my insurance company was. I basically told them to gently caress off and send me to collections and see if they wanted to gently caress with me.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

Hell, I took a short hike up to an overlook the other day, and if I didn't have tolerance to :420:, I probably would have gotten a contact high. Nice view up there:

Hello, fellow Austintonian!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kinda sucks when you're not thinking about getting a car and all of a sudden you need one.....I'm getting a headache looking through autotrader and CL, I have no idea what i want and I'm gonna need one soon. gently caress.

Biturbo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

We already got one of them.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Kinda sucks when you're not thinking about getting a car and all of a sudden you need one.....I'm getting a headache looking through autotrader and CL, I have no idea what i want and I'm gonna need one soon. gently caress.

This sounds familiar

Get something awesome in the toaster’s place. Unsolicited $0.02 - RWD V8s are only going to get more scarce, so do the needful and live a little.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A thing happened to me last night at about 2am

Drunk driver ran a red light. I lucked out, only a few broken ribs and feeling really beat up. Seat belt saved my life, wear your seat belts kidos.

Late to this, but that really sucks dude. Breathing sucks with broken ribs, laughing is even worse.... but sneezing worse than that.

Was the driver charged with impaired?

Hard a weird TKD class last night. A novice instructor was giving us a really weird drill, wanted us to catch a full power kick. When you're partnering with someone that is erratic the end result is about is good as you can expect. Caught her kick in my thumb and pushed it way, way, waaay back. Hurt like a motherfucker.

Within 30 seconds we were gearing up for sparring and I physically couldn't put my glove on my hand. Just as well in hindsight.

In the changeroom about 10 minutes afterwards and short use of a coldpack

This morning

At least it's my left hand. The bruising is just starting to show but the center of my palm and thumb is going to be wicked purple. No way my watch could slide over my hand this AM either LOL.

Have a wedding to go to tomorrow as well so I'll be driving for 7 hours tonight so I won't even be able to keep icing it. Whelp.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tremek posted:

This sounds familiar

Get something awesome in the toaster’s place. Unsolicited $0.02 - RWD V8s are only going to get more scarce, so do the needful and live a little.

I love V8s but honestly where I live (urban sprawl Florida) it's just a waste. Gonna be looking a manual 2014 toaster that's for sale nearby, have never driven a manual xB and from what I've heard it kinda sucks (something about lovely clutch feel) but I'll judge for myself. Maybe there might be a clutch assist spring thingy like in GTIs or something and it can be modded? Idk. Other than that, once I find out the policy limits of the idiot drunk that hit me I might be able to afford new in which case I'm seriously considering a base manual Civic like Adiabatic got, or a Corolla hybrid which looks like an amazing car for urban driving.....All the benefits of a Prius without actually driving an ugly rear end Prius, 53mpg city starting at $23k.

slidebite posted:

Late to this, but that really sucks dude. Breathing sucks with broken ribs, laughing is even worse.... but sneezing worse than that.

Was the driver charged with impaired?

Yeah I've had broken ribs before (skateboarding lol) so I know the drill and it sucks. As soon as the doc told me i was like gently caress, here we go again. I'll take it tho considering it could have been a hell of a lot worse if I was a second later and she slammed into my door......Geez I would have been hosed up pretty bad i think.

The cops said they were going to charge her but it hasn't been official yet, my wife checked her record and she was driving on a suspended license as well so she's proper hosed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Have you confirmed that the drunk driving without a license actually had active insurance?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yes, she has insurance through Geico. Probably because the car isn't paid for otherwise she wouldn't have that either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

There's a lake nearby where all the idiots go every weekend where the cops walk up and down the beach dumping out everybody's drinks.

A while ago, there was a ricer forum meet that tried driving through it, they stopped 150 cars on the side of the highway and handed out all kinds of tint and exhaust tickets as a "never come back" kind of thing.

It's not even a nice place. There are boarded up buildings right on the beachfront and everything's old and ratty but not the cool kind of old and ratty, just the "built in the 80s by an alcoholic and already in shambles kind of ratty and i just don't loving get it.

I am amazed that there are still places this Puritanical.

STR posted:

I'm pretty sure you get a ticket here if you DON'T have at least 1 beer and/or weed in your hand when you're floating down a river here.

Someone forgot to paint that bridge.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

I love V8s but honestly where I live (urban sprawl Florida) it's just a waste. Gonna be looking a manual 2014 toaster that's for sale nearby, have never driven a manual xB and from what I've heard it kinda sucks (something about lovely clutch feel) but I'll judge for myself. Maybe there might be a clutch assist spring thingy like in GTIs or something and it can be modded? Idk. Other than that, once I find out the policy limits of the idiot drunk that hit me I might be able to afford new in which case I'm seriously considering a base manual Civic like Adiabatic got, or a Corolla hybrid which looks like an amazing car for urban driving.....All the benefits of a Prius without actually driving an ugly rear end Prius, 53mpg city starting at $23k.

Yeah I've had broken ribs before (skateboarding lol) so I know the drill and it sucks. As soon as the doc told me i was like gently caress, here we go again. I'll take it tho considering it could have been a hell of a lot worse if I was a second later and she slammed into my door......Geez I would have been hosed up pretty bad i think.

The cops said they were going to charge her but it hasn't been official yet, my wife checked her record and she was driving on a suspended license as well so she's proper hosed.

It's been a year and a half and my ribs still aren't perfect. Can't bench heavy without some wicked sick pain and having all the air blown out of me.

I hope she gets nailed to the wall.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy a military surplus humvee and make the next drunk driver wish you hadn't

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

It's been a year and a half and my ribs still aren't perfect. Can't bench heavy without some wicked sick pain and having all the air blown out of me.

I hope she gets nailed to the wall.

Yeah I fractured a rib on my right side about a year ago after some kid on a bike dropped into a bowl I was in and slammed into me. I still feel it now and then especially when I'm working out and using the bench even more....Just kinda have to work through it I suppose, but now i'll have pain on both sides so that's gonna suck lol.

Powershift posted:

Buy a military surplus humvee and make the next drunk driver wish you hadn't

Funny you say that because that's exactly what my son said to me as well :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Smart boy you got there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got the car buying itch again which happens to me every ~2.5 years. I'm not sure what's going to happen this time because it'd be extremely fiscally irresponsible for me to have two car payments at once, and there's no way I'm trading my truck that I have a payment on, so something's gotta give. The years I've bought cars starting with when I graduated from college:

Related: I went to a Carmax for the first time and after saying hi to me and saying to let them know if I wanted to test drive anything as I was walking through the building into the lot where the cars are, they left me alone and I got to sit in and finger a dozen different cars without anyone bothering me. Is that how they're supposed to work or were they just short staffed or something?

I hadn't sat in a 2015+ Mustang yet. I'd heard they were a little less comfortable/more cramped than the 2010-2014s (I'm tall), but in my experience they're as good or better than my 2012.

I also reminded myself how roomy/comfortable Challengers are.

And sat in a lovely S550.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
AA, what about a Kia Soul? It's boxy and quirky.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I got the car buying itch again which happens to me every ~2.5 years. I'm not sure what's going to happen this time because it'd be extremely fiscally irresponsible for me to have two car payments at once, and there's no way I'm trading my truck that I have a payment on, so something's gotta give. The years I've bought cars starting with when I graduated from college:

Related: I went to a Carmax for the first time and after saying hi to me and saying to let them know if I wanted to test drive anything as I was walking through the building into the lot where the cars are, they left me alone and I got to sit in and finger a dozen different cars without anyone bothering me. Is that how they're supposed to work or were they just short staffed or something?

I hadn't sat in a 2015+ Mustang yet. I'd heard they were a little less comfortable/more cramped than the 2010-2014s (I'm tall), but in my experience they're as good or better than my 2012.

I also reminded myself how roomy/comfortable Challengers are.

And sat in a lovely S550.

Whatever you bought in '14 must have been nice

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fermented Tinal posted:

AA, what about a Kia Soul? It's boxy and quirky.

Second. My wife had one and it was a hoot to drive. I'd DD one if it came with a manual transmission that was decent.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

What about the pure electric soul? I bet there's a way to enable burnout mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, lemme know. I know a guy than get you one thats been fixed up and been made as roadworthy as one can be. :v: