Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Cavauro posted:

bout to see an "as a gay man," argument being done by 15 different people all against eachother for the first time right here in wrestling hut. now that's cool

someone's never been in the fabgoons thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

happy to know it doesn't go without saying. i am scared to leave my stoop

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The worst part for me is Cornette is incapable of doing any kind of genuine apology and just ran around making GBS threads himself in response, which he also did recently about calling someone a racial slur in SMW by throwing out the gold standards of “it was a long time ago, I was angry, and I’m sorry if you were offended”

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I thought this would be the reason why people would be mad about Cornette this week:

https://twitter.com/AndyTMonaghan/status/1149348719688585218

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cavauro posted:

bout to see an "as a gay man," argument being done by 15 different people all against eachother for the first time right here in wrestling hut. now that's cool

lol

Edited my response. If other people in the community had/have problems with it that's fair, I didn't at the time but that's my bad, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've misinterpreted something

Aesop Poprock posted:

The worst part for me is Cornette is incapable of doing any kind of genuine apology and just ran around making GBS threads himself in response, which he also did recently about calling someone a racial slur in SMW by throwing out the gold standards of “it was a long time ago, I was angry, and I’m sorry if you were offended”

And his instinct is to double down, whether it's because he genuinely thinks he's correct and that's the only possibility, or because he sees something he said getting a reaction and is more than happy enough to keep it going in hopes it'll add followers/subscribers/listeners

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SaberToothedPie posted:

If sonny kiss showed up in new japan i wouldnt buy it

I could easily see him in a match with Taguchi.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

And his instinct is to double down, whether it's because he genuinely thinks he's correct and that's the only possibility, or because he sees something he said getting a reaction and is more than happy enough to keep it going in hopes it'll add followers/subscribers/listeners

Yep he made a living inciting an audience.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rovert posted:

It's one of the two big downsides imo to a lot of wrestling personalities getting in on the podcast bandwagon these days

The other is obviously not a lot of them are interesting enough to really justify a regular podcast worth listening to (Bellas are the recent ones that immediately come to mind)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

rovert posted:

I thought this would be the reason why people would be mad about Cornette this week:

https://twitter.com/AndyTMonaghan/status/1149348719688585218

I dont want to listen to cornette, what is it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he thinks they should have pushed hard that they had a trans wrestler employed; exploited it for news/views or whatever. Doesn't get why it was good not to do that. at least that's what i got from listening to about 2 minutes

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I dont want to listen to cornette, what is it

Cornette said she (and a heel manager who would talk her up before she'd appear on camera) should play up being biologically born male and make it part of the gimmick that she has an unfair athletic advantage against all the women in the division due to her past.

And have a Gail Kim type eventually beat her. Kinda like TNA with the monster heel Awesome Kong and Gail Kim.

Lean in on bigotry and the current discussion in female sports basically.

Thinks Wrestling companies are too concerned with a relatively small number of constantly offended fans than actually drawing heat and money.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are you sure you're being fair when you say that

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

any further cornette posts will get a six hour probation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

rovert posted:

Cornette said she (and a heel manager who would talk her up before she'd appear on camera) should play up being biologically born male and make it part of the gimmick that she has an unfair athletic advantage against all the women in the division due to her past.

And have a Gail Kim type eventually beat her. Kinda like TNA with the monster heel Awesome Kong and Gail Kim.

Thinks Wrestling companies are too concerned with a relatively small number of constantly offended fans than actually drawing heat and money.

wow I cannot imagine a worse way to work with Nyla rose

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rovert posted:

So he can take his beer hall putsch and gently caress himself, because by his own rules and standards, he's a babyface now. And being a bigot is only heat if there's a babyface programmed opposite you who's in the right and wins in the end.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Cavauro posted:

he thinks they should have pushed hard that they had a trans wrestler employed; exploited it for news/views or whatever. Doesn't get why it was good not to do that. at least that's what i got from listening to about 2 minutes

He massively misjudged using the Gangstas in Smokey Mountain Wrestling and playing off overt racism in 1994/5. So it isn't a surprise he can't discern good heat from bad heat here.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

rovert posted:

This is literally the worst idea I've ever heard in my life

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

rovert posted:

Woah, this suck rear end

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

rovert posted:

cancelled

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rovert posted:

He also brought up Renee Richards as an example of the backlash a trans athlete got in real life...over 40 years ago. It was a really, really bad idea and I'm genuinely shocked that he hasn't gotten completely brigaded on Twitter over it. That said, the response has been negative everywhere I've seen the discussion mentioned. Some random on the Mothership Facebook group, which is about as pro-Cornette as you can get, posted about how it was time to "que [sic] the SJWs jumping all over him," but the response, besides calling him an idiot for using "SJW," was entirely "yeah, Jim hosed up, that's a terrible idea."

More broadly, Cornette also seemed gobsmacked that AEW hasn't ever mentioned that Nyla is trans in the context of getting good publicity. Which misses that AEW is (very obviously) purposefully avoiding touting their bonafides with regards to diversity (and other stuff like philanthropy) to avoid being seen as pushy/fake/overly cynical like WWE is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

youre all probated shut up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cornette really demonstrates more and more often that the wrestling business has really moved on and he - a guy who used to be on the cutting edge/innovative - is a relic of the past. It's a shame, but at least he's putting this stuff out there with no actual power over any wrestling promotion unlike guys like Vince McMahon who are both completely out of touch AND still in a position to dictate what happens on a show.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Isn't the male to female trans controversy a real thing in MMA, weight lifting and other sports? I guess I can see where Cornette is coming from, but I still think it is a bad angle and he can miss me with the bullshit.

E:

Jerusalem posted:

Cornette really demonstrates more and more often that the wrestling business has really moved on and he - a guy who used to be on the cutting edge/innovative - is a relic of the past. It's a shame, but at least he's putting this stuff out there with no actual power over any wrestling promotion unlike guys like Vince McMahon who are both completely out of touch AND still in a position to dictate what happens on a show.

100% agree.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 13, 2019

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

he - a guy who used to be on the cutting edge/innovative

Was he, though?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Isn't the male to female trans controversy a real thing in MMA, weight lifting and other sports? I guess I can see where Cornette is coming from, but I still think it is a bad angle and he can miss me with the bullshit.

One of the good things about being a fake, carny sport is that you can completely ignore all the poo poo-slinging that comes from controversies around legitimate competition.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

if you listen to a jim cornette podcast on the reg I'll box your ears

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dsriggs posted:

Was he, though?

He knew what fans wanted and didn't want, he knew how to get people excited and react as he wanted and make them eager for more. Even then, there was an element of some square-peg/round hole stuff (wanting Lance Storm to be a "Thrillseeker" etc) but he was still ahead of the game over other holdouts from the territory era who tried to hold on to what used to work regardless of the audience clearly rejecting it.

Now he's old man yelling at a cloud and it's pretty sad.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The tagline he came up with for Smoky Mountain Wrestling was "Wrestling the way it used to be & the way you like it". Knowing what your fans like doesn't mean you're innovating anything.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

dsriggs posted:

The tagline he came up with for Smoky Mountain Wrestling was "Wrestling the way it used to be & the way you like it". Knowing what your fans like doesn't mean you're innovating anything.
Cornette also wrote the TV for WCW in the second half of 1989 (with Kevin Sullivan) and the WWF in 1997 (with the Vinces), both of which have always been highly acclaimed and were pretty fresh at the time.

He did have a habit of recycling old Mid-South and Memphis angles in SMW, but there was a perfectly healthy amount of new ideas, too. And that doesn't really make him that different from other bookers, regardless; the difference was the era and tape traders being familiar with the angles he was recycling.

But no, he was never the most creative booker the way that, say, Gilbert or Heyman, his contemporaries, were. And yes, based on the ROH run and his fantasy booking (both on the podcast and the Guest Booker DVD) it does seem like he completely lost the plot, booking-wise, after WWE fired him.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

rovert posted:

He massively misjudged using the Gangstas in Smokey Mountain Wrestling and playing off overt racism in 1994/5. So it isn't a surprise he can't discern good heat from bad heat here.

yeah but that OJ promo is maybe a top 10 wrestling promo for the crowd reaction

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

E:

100% agree.

In a way for a while there was a male to female MMA fighter and all the geneti s etc got thrown around. It overlooked the parts on weight limits and others. It disappeared when she got knocked the gently caress out by another woman.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

In a way for a while there was a male to female MMA fighter and all the geneti s etc got thrown around. It overlooked the parts on weight limits and others. It disappeared when she got knocked the gently caress out by another woman.

And outside of MMA, the big "controversy" is track runner Caster Semenya, a cis woman who never identified as otherwise, getting subjected to humiliating testosterone/gender tests because white people couldn't deal with her destroying the competition and had to make up ways to discredit her.

This "debate" has always been complete bullshit drummed up by bad-faith actors, and AEW is smart to sidestep all that and push Nyla Rose as exactly the person she is -- a strong dominant woman. That's all she ever needs to be in kayfabe.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Benne posted:

white people couldn't deal with her destroying the competition and had to make up ways to discredit her.

Because white people of all genders have dominated sprinting. Oh wait.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Benne posted:

And outside of MMA, the big "controversy" is track runner Caster Semenya, a cis woman who never identified as otherwise, getting subjected to humiliating testosterone/gender tests because white people couldn't deal with her destroying the competition and had to make up ways to discredit her.

This "debate" has always been complete bullshit drummed up by bad-faith actors, and AEW is smart to sidestep all that and push Nyla Rose as exactly the person she is -- a strong dominant woman. That's all she ever needs to be in kayfabe.

Track and field women issues dates back a lot earlier than Semenya, namely East Germany in the 80s whose government run doping program on female athletes resulted in several of them transitioning to male due to hormone overdose, such as Andreas Krieger, along with previous athletes if the 20th century notably Stanisława Walasiewicz better known as Stella Walsh. Its a long and complicated history.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

Yeah there's probably no way to make Nyla's gender part of her on-screen character without stepping on a rake so the way they're doing it is perfect.

Although uh she probably shoulda won at Fyter Fest.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cavauro posted:

As a parent, I...

Wait, gently caress

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dsriggs posted:

SMW had a lot of innovative new ideas, particularly on the marketing end where it tried to appeal to newsletter fans and do special events to appeal to traveling fans.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Nyla Rose thing is especially frustrating cause Cornette was just talking about how awesome she was and how he thinks she could be a huge deal without ever mentioning she was trans, which means he probably just found out and had to wade in like a dumbass about something he should know not to touch ever with his old man opinions

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Nyla Rose thing is especially frustrating cause Cornette was just talking about how awesome she was and how he thinks she could be a huge deal without ever mentioning she was trans, which means he probably just found out and had to wade in like a dumbass about something he should know not to touch ever with his old man opinions

Agreed. It was kind of disheartening to hear him turn her into a gimmick based on her gender after the co-host told him. I thought he knew before the podcast a few days ago and just accepted it and moved on.

His booking mentality isn't necessarily transphobic though. It's just exploitative based on current events. Not that the end result can't be both of course.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Second to last episode on the Hogan bio! If you've ever wanted to hear Hulk's thoughts on his big WCW run well, he ignores most of it to make up stories about celebrities!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1150089225800429569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
As a Kentuckian, I am tired of Cornette’s poo poo.